What if a priest can't sing?

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
This is actually a good question, to me anyway. I was discussing the beauty and reverence of the DL with a friend of mine. We skipped through a couple videos featuring the DL, and he remarked at how great the singing was. He then asked me, "What if a priest is tone deaf?"

To me that is a good question because I have never been to an Orthodox DL in which the priest did not have a beautiful voice. I have been to many many, Catholic masses in which the priest couldn't sing, but tried to anyway.

Is vocal training part of the seminary? Or is this a special gift from God that all priests sing beautifully? Or have I just not yet heard the badly singing priests?

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, at Holy Cross you take a vocal course each semester for 4 years to learn the tones and if your vocals themselves arent great, then you take singing lessons. But during your ordination, they implant a singing angel to accompany you (just in case). Basically, you are trained to be able to teach basic chanting at a parish.

Reactions: LilLamb219
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
This has brought back something a Deacon's wife said.

Pani commented after his Ordination -" Father could never sing - I didn't know how he was going to manage - but since he was ordained Deacon - he can sing - beautifully ! "

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
while there is vocal training at every seminary, and it certainly helps, if the priest is tone deaf then that is his (and possibly his congregation's) cross to bear.

Bp Thomas often brings up that on Mt Athos there was a monk who directed a choir for vespers, did not like their sound, so replaced everyone to sound "perfect." when he went to bed that night Christ appeared to him and asked why vespers was not served. the monk responded that it was. Christ replied that was not vespers, that was merely noise, because the choir director only wanted to sound impressive

Upvote 0

Shiranui117

Sack of Hammers
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
✟16,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Even if our priests don't have the best singing voices, they'll still chant or sing on-key--it's better than nothing and meshes well with the choir. And if you have congregational singing, then a bad singing voice on anyone's part will be harder to notice.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The only thing that matters is that he is giving his best - if that isn't very good compared to others, then deal with it.

:thumbsup:! I've had two priests that weren't the best singers but they were two of the best priests I've had the privilege of knowing. The second one is the most loving and best spiritual father I know--a very wise man who truly loves. When he was a young priest, an older priest told him that the most important job as a priest is to love your flock, and Fr. took that advice to heart and lived it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The late priest at one of the parish's I used to attend had a speech impediment. It could probably be annoying as some the gospels he read could sound at times like they were being mumbled. His singing was still great though, and was an exceptional shepherd beloved by all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My priest is fairly off with the tones, and our deacon's voice crackles all over the place like you've never heard in your life. It makes me wince at times, but in the end, the liturgy is being sung I suppose. T'ain't pretty, but it gets the job done.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Our priest is an older man, his voice isn't always on key and sometimes he chants very very softly. It doesn't really bother me though, if anything it has a little character.

On a side note, I have been to a Ruthenian Catholic service where the priest was a great singer, but it felt like he was just going through the motions. So I still prefer my guy. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0