Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happens to the soul if your brain dead?

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by Brother Sammy, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Was just curious as to what your opinion is as to the status of the soul of some one who is completely brain dead with 0% brain activity. Long story short as to my asking : my ex-wife had a severe stroke, followed by complete brain death.

Theories as to what happens to soul if you are brain dead but your body is kept alive by machines?

2. dayhiker

dayhiker Mature veteran

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Charismatic
    There are a number of traditions that even in a normal death a persons spirit can hang around for a while. One of the accounts at the disciples seeing Jesus after his death seems to indicate that think they are seeing his ghost.

So my best guess is that their spirit might have to hang around will they really die. But its a guess.

3. IisJustMe

IisJustMe He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't make any difference. The soul is eternal. God is in control, not the body and not the doctors. When the body dies, the soul passes into eternal punishment or eternal reward.

4. ebia

ebia Senior Contributor

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    AU-Greens
    Faith:
    Anglican
    Much the same as death in general - God will preserve the non-physical aspect of us until we have fresh bodies again at the resurrection.

'God will download our software onto his hardware until the time he gives us new hardware to run the software again for ourselves.' (John Polkinghorne). 'We are animated bodies, not incarnated souls.'

5. jinx25

jinx25 Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    What Iijustme said, God knows the persons heart if its for him nothing else matters , im sorry sammy

6. KimberlyAA

KimberlyAA New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Seventh-Day-Adventist
    The soul probably still inhabits the body or is asleep. It depends what your views on life after death are ...

7. Trogool

Trogool New Member

Politics:
    US-Green
    Faith:
    Christian
    The soul is gone, or whatever.

8. Ave Maria

Ave Maria Ave Maria Gratia Plena

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Catholic
    I am really not sure but my own personal belief is that the soul leaves the body and goes to the particular judgment once the brain dies.

9. Cuddles222

Cuddles222 Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    We have scientific evidence that our soul/spirit exits the body when the brain is no longer functioning. Isn't it strange how the spirit can see without having eyes and can hear without having ears? The evidence of us having a spirit is found in this documentary:

The Day I Died. NDE + Consciousness Documentary - YouTube