Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone. I have heard of the concept of spiritual warfare and believe it is mentioned in the Bible. However, I don't fully understand what it is or how it is practiced. Where in the Bible does it talk about spiritual warfare? How does one practice it. It is used to counter the attacks of the Devil right?

Dad Ernie

Nov 28, 2003
Salem, Oregon, USA
Visit site
✟2,980.00
Faith
Protestant
Holly3278 said:
Hi everyone. I have heard of the concept of spiritual warfare and believe it is mentioned in the Bible. However, I don't fully understand what it is or how it is practiced. Where in the Bible does it talk about spiritual warfare? How does one practice it. It is used to counter the attacks of the Devil right?
There are many verses which refer in one way or another to what we call "spiritual warfare", but first consider these verses:

Eph 6:10-18 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. 13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: 18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

1 Peter 5:6-8 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: 7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. 8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

1 Tim 6:11-12 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. 12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

FINALLY FOLLOW THE EXAMPLE OF CHRIST WHO DEFEATED THE ONSLAUGHT OF SATAN'S "TEMPTATIONS" BY:

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Do these things and you shall have prepared yourself for "spiritual warfare".

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks a lot Ernie! That really helps me out. I know I have read those verses before but I never really fully understood the concept of spiritual warfare, especially the one about the Armor of God.

Upvote 0

rainbowprism

Elevate My Soul
May 4, 2004
Ohio
✟1,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
http://www.spirithome.com/spirwarf.html Here's a pretty good link to understanding the different parts of spiritual warfare. Some of the ideas might sound a little scary, but don't be....Jesus has control over EVERYTHING (Luke 10:19)

I've got some personal stories bout spiritual warfare if you are curious. Also a very good book to read on the topic is called 3 Crucial Questions About Spiritual Warfare by Clinton Arnold. Feel free to PM if you want!

Bless you! :)

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Spiritual Warfare is part of Ancient monasticism, may I point you to a book...

"Unseen Warfare" SVS Press (ST VLadimir's Seminary Press)
The Spiritual Combat and Path to Paradise of Lorenzo Scupoli
edited by Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain and revised by Theophan the Recluse

forgive me...

Upvote 0

rainbowprism

Elevate My Soul
May 4, 2004
Ohio
✟1,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
orthodoxyusa said:
Spiritual Warfare is part of Ancient monasticism, may I point you to a book...

"Unseen Warfare" SVS Press (ST VLadimir's Seminary Press)
The Spiritual Combat and Path to Paradise of Lorenzo Scupoli
edited by Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain and revised by Theophan the Recluse

forgive me...
Are you saying it doesn't exist? :scratch:

Upvote 0
Holly3278 said:
There are three enemies
#1 Flesh.... eph 5:18, romans 6:11-12,romans 8:13,colossians 3:1-3,5romans 6:3-4,11
#2 satan...2 cor 2:11 14 total by scripture.. eph 6:10-18
#3 the world .... 1 john 2:12-17

They require different forms of Mental battle in each case

if you want a series of booklets for the christian life
by H. LaVern Schafer TH.D.

PM me!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

selahmusic

Holly3278 said:
Thanks a lot Ernie! That really helps me out. I know I have read those verses before but I never really fully understood the concept of spiritual warfare, especially the one about the Armor of God.
Where in the armour of God do you find anything about WARFARE. The armour of God is a lifestyle of FAITH in which you are instructed to STAND and when you have done all to STAND then STAND. The battle has already been fought and won by Jesus at the cross - LIVE in your victory by beleiving (faith) in what He has done for you.
Col 2:15 Having stripped rulers and authorities, He made a show of them publicly, triumphing over them in it.

We are already the TRIUMPHANT church. Thank you Jesus!!

Upvote 0
selahmusic said:
Where in the armour of God do you find anything about WARFARE. The armour of God is a lifestyle of FAITH in which you are instructed to STAND and when you have done all to STAND then STAND. The battle has already been fought and won by Jesus at the cross - LIVE in your victory by beleiving (faith) in what He has done for you.
Col 2:15 Having stripped rulers and authorities, He made a show of them publicly, triumphing over them in it.

1 john 1:8-10

thats why we still sin?

we have not yet been gloryified !

there are steps toward renewing ones mind from different lusts

Upvote 0

Dad Ernie

Nov 28, 2003
Salem, Oregon, USA
Visit site
✟2,980.00
Faith
Protestant
selahmusic said:

Greetings Selahmusic,

Are you saying we never have to do "spiritual battle"? Do you know what it means to "put on"? Do you know what it means when Paul says: "We wage war not against flesh and blood, but powers and principalities in heavenly places."?

I certainly hope you just don't STAND THERE. The enemy will have a hayday with you.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

Upvote 0

pimorton

May 13, 2004
Ohio
✟1,184.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
selahmusic said:

To use an analogy from American history, the most decisive battle of the War of 1812 was the Battle of New Orleans, which was fought two weeks after the Treaty of Ghent was signed, ending that war. In more modern history we find examples of troops continuing to fight after treaties are signed, simply because they do not want to accept defeat.
Why is it so difficult to believe that the enemy of our souls would do the same thing until he is ultimately imprisoned in Rev. 20:10? Remember, Satan is on the biggest ego trip creation has ever seen (Isaiah 14:13,14). He's not ready to concede defeat.
Also, Paul's use of the idea of triumph in Colossians refers to a grandiose parade spectacular held for a Roman general after a dramatic military victory. It was not unusual for a general to be given a triumph even while fighting continued on the frontier. Victory was certain, and the general was gloriously received into Rome with this spectacle, even while his troops continued to fight to secure the final victory.
This is not to say Jesus' victory at the cross and the tomb is incomplete. The enemy has just not met its doom yet.
As far as the word "stand" in Eph. 6:13,14, the first instance in the Greek is "antihistemi," which literally means to stand against. It is an active verb, and akin to the meaning of the word "stand" in "Custer's last stand." It carries the theme forward from vs. 12, where we are told we wrestle. The other instances of "stand" are the Greek word "histemi," which also indicates action, but offensive action. From this word we get our English word histemine, a chemical our bodies produce in response to invaders, like pollen or mold spores, causing us to sneeze and our eyes to water in an effort to eject the invader.
Spiritual warfare is indeed very real.

Upvote 0
S

selahmusic

A Brethren IN CHRIST said:

thats why we still sin?

we have not yet been gloryified !

there are steps toward renewing ones mind from different lusts

thats why we still sin?

You don’t understand your righteousness in Christ.

Rom 6:11 From now on, think of it this way: Sin speaks a dead language that means nothing to you; God speaks your mother tongue, and you hang on every word. You are dead to sin and alive to God. That's what Jesus did.

Rom 6:12 That means you must not give sin a vote in the way you conduct your lives. Don't give it the time of day.

Rom 6:13 Don't even run little errands that are connected with that old way of life. Throw yourselves wholeheartedly and full-time--remember, you've been raised from the dead!--into God's way of doing things.

Rom 6:14 Sin can't tell you how to live. After all, you're not living under that old tyranny any longer. You're living in the freedom of God.

we have not yet been glorified !

The Glory is in you.

Joh 17:22 The same glory you gave me, I gave them, So they'll be as unified and together as we are--

there are steps toward renewing ones mind from different lusts.

What steps?? Scripture please!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
S

selahmusic

Dad Ernie said:
Greetings Selahmusic,

Are you saying we never have to do "spiritual battle"? Do you know what it means to "put on"? Do you know what it means when Paul says: "We wage war not against flesh and blood, but powers and principalities in heavenly places."?

I certainly hope you just don't STAND THERE. The enemy will have a hayday with you.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie
That’s exactly what I am saying.

The only fight I find for The Believer is the GOOD Fight of FAITH.

1Ti 6:12 Fight the good fight of faith. Lay hold on eternal life, to which you are also called and have professed a good profession before many witnesses.

What does “put on” mean?

enduo¯

en-doo'-o

From G1722 and G1416 (in the senese of sinking into a garment); to invest with clothing (literally or figuratively): - array, clothe (with), endue, have (put) on.

The armour of God is not something you take off at night and then “put on” the next day – you keep it on all the time.

2Co 10:3 The world is unprincipled. It's dog-eat-dog out there! The world doesn't fight fair. But we don't live or fight our battles that way--never have and never will.

2Co 10:4 The tools of our trade aren't for marketing or manipulation, but they are for demolishing that entire massively corrupt culture.

2Co 10:5 We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ.

2Co 10:6 Our tools are ready at hand for clearing the ground of every obstruction and building lives of obedience into maturity.

This is not talking about warfare (waging war against the devil) – Paul is speaking about renewing your mind to the Word of God – not thinking like the world does but taking your thoughts captive to Christ.

I certainly do STAND. No weapon formed against me will prosper (no Heyday for him) – the shield of faith extinguishes every fiery dart that the devil may try to throw at me. I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0
S

selahmusic

pimorton said:
To use an analogy from American history, the most decisive battle of the War of 1812 was the Battle of New Orleans, which was fought two weeks after the Treaty of Ghent was signed, ending that war. In more modern history we find examples of troops continuing to fight after treaties are signed, simply because they do not want to accept defeat.
Why is it so difficult to believe that the enemy of our souls would do the same thing until he is ultimately imprisoned in Rev. 20:10? Remember, Satan is on the biggest ego trip creation has ever seen (Isaiah 14:13,14). He's not ready to concede defeat.
Also, Paul's use of the idea of triumph in Colossians refers to a grandiose parade spectacular held for a Roman general after a dramatic military victory. It was not unusual for a general to be given a triumph even while fighting continued on the frontier. Victory was certain, and the general was gloriously received into Rome with this spectacle, even while his troops continued to fight to secure the final victory.
This is not to say Jesus' victory at the cross and the tomb is incomplete. The enemy has just not met its doom yet.
As far as the word "stand" in Eph. 6:13,14, the first instance in the Greek is "antihistemi," which literally means to stand against. It is an active verb, and akin to the meaning of the word "stand" in "Custer's last stand." It carries the theme forward from vs. 12, where we are told we wrestle. The other instances of "stand" are the Greek word "histemi," which also indicates action, but offensive action. From this word we get our English word histemine, a chemical our bodies produce in response to invaders, like pollen or mold spores, causing us to sneeze and our eyes to water in an effort to eject the invader.
Spiritual warfare is indeed very real.
Please make sure that you use the correct Greek words if you are going to quote them.

The word STAND in Eph. 6:11,13,14 = G2476 – histemi (three times)

NOT G436 – antihistemi !!! (withstand v13 only once)

G2476

ἵστημι

histe¯mi

his'-tay-mee

A prolonged form of a primary word στάωstao¯ (of the same meaning, and used for it in certain tenses); to stand (transitively or intransitively), used in various applications (literally or figuratively): - abide, appoint, bring, continue, covenant, establish, hold up, lay, present, set (up), stanch, stand (by, forth, still, up). Compare G5087.

I see no form of action mentioned here. Where did you get your definition from??

G5087

τίθημι

tithe¯mi

tith'-ay-mee

A prolonged form of a primary word θέωtheo¯ (which is used only as an alternate in certain tenses); to place (in the widest application, literally and figuratively; properly in a passive or horizontal posture, and thus different from G2476, which properly denotes an upright and active position, while G2749 is properly reflexive and utterly prostrate): - + advise, appoint, bow, commit, conceive, give, X kneel down, lay (aside, down, up), make, ordain, purpose, put, set (forth), settle, sink down.

G2749

κεῖμαι

keimai

ki'-mahee

Middle voice of a primary verb; to lie outstretched (literally or figuratively): - be (appointed, laid up, made, set), lay, lie. Compare G5087.

G436

ἀνθίστημι

anthiste¯mi

anth-is'-tay-mee

From G473 and G2476; to stand against, that is, oppose: - resist, withstand.

G473

ἀντί

anti

an-tee'

A primary particle; opposite, that is, instead or because of (rarely in addition to): - for, in the room of. Often used in composition to denote contrast, requital, substitution, correspondence, etc.

Upvote 0

HolyGuardianAngels

Merry Christmas Everyone
Mar 10, 2005
Southern California, just minutes from the beach !
✟17,081.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

:wave:

I hope this scripture will help you:

For the eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their prayers; but the face of the LORD is against those who do evil.

1 Peter 3:12

:angel:

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
LLOJ subscribes :thumbsup:
Dude. This thread is six years old. :doh:

Anywho ...

1. Yes, Satan is real, and hates us more than anything.

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 9 Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.

Rev 12:13 And when the dragon saw that he had been thrown down to the earth, he pursued the woman [Israel/The Church] who had given birth to the male child. [...] 17 Then the dragon became furious with the woman and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring, on those who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus. [...].

2. The Battle is already won.

Rev 12:7 Now war arose in heaven, Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon. And the dragon and his angels fought back, 8 but he was defeated, and there was no longer any place for them in heaven. 9 And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him. 10 And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, “Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God. 11 And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death.

1 John 3:8 Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.

Heb 2:14 Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery.

3. Though Satan cannot ultimately win, the battle is still engaged.

Rev 12:17 Then the dragon became furious with the woman and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring, on those who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus. [...].

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

4. We have been given weapons with which to defeat him.

Rev 12: 11 And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death.

> Jesus Christ shed his blood for us on the cross of Calvary, and that blood is effective for our salvation.

Romans 5:9 Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.

Ephesians 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

Revelation 5:9 And they sang a new song, saying, “Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation,

> That same blood which is given and shed for us for the forgiveness of sins.

Mat 26:26 Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” 27 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, 28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

> And the word of their testimony, Holy Scripture, the incarnate Word of God.

Ephesians 6:17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God,

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Revelation 19:13 He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God.

5. But our war is not an offensive. The beachhead has already been stormed by a helpless little baby. The campaign has been engaged and victory has been won through weakness, profound humiliation and seeming defeat. Sure and certain victory has been proclaimed by our resurrected Lord. What is left for us to do? Simply to stand firm, to pray, and to proclaim the Gospel.

Eph 6:13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.

14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, 19 and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.

Last edited:
Upvote 0