Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
you've popped the wrong tag on the thread .
so im assuming this is a "discussion thread ".

fire baptism is simply one of many difering terms to describe the 'baptism of the holy Ghost "

the lord Jesus promised that those who believe would be "baptized in the holy Ghost and with fire" - the fire is spiritual fire OR , he fire OF the Spirit of God because the holy Spirit illuminates every aspect of the human heart and like fire , consumes that is is consumable (ie sin and its nature and works )
the most difficult thing about the topic , is , one cannot with any efficiency of human language ,describe nor explain such things , one must simply grasp the words of the lord Jesus in faith and ask .. then wait for this promise and do what ever the lord tells you to do in waiting .
there are two forms of waiting .. one is when we simply wait ..like at a bus stop .. and the other is waiting as one would if one were a waiter at a restaurant but the guest is the king of all kings .. we wait in reverence and holy respect and adoring love asking the lord ,lord what would you have me do for you ..
both of these forms of waiting are to be intermingled out of adoration and certainty that what he has promised that he will also DO .

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟688,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Matt 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 12 His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

Here John explains his meaning of "the Holy Spirit and fire".

He is speaking of salvation and judgment. The fire is not what happened in Acts 2, but is the unquenchabld Fire of eternal damnation. Note: he gathers His wheat (precious fruit) into the barn and the chaff is burnt.

In this instance the fire is one of eternal judgment.

Upvote 0

znr

Report THIS.
Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟30,220.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
The tag is kind of irrelevant, don't you think.

My question is simply, what does a fire baptism look like. I was hoping people would share their experience.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I'm looking for first hand accounts of what a fire baptism looks like. In other words, from people who reply to this thread.
you've popped the wrong tag on the thread .
so im assuming this is a "discussion thread ".

fire baptism is simply one of many difering terms to describe the 'baptism of the holy Ghost "

the lord Jesus promised that those who believe would be "baptized in the holy Ghost and with fire" - the fire is spiritual fire OR , he fire OF the Spirit of God because the holy Spirit illuminates every aspect of the human heart and like fire , consumes that is is consumable (ie sin and its nature and works )
the most difficult thing about the topic , is , one cannot with any efficiency of human language ,describe nor explain such things , one must simply grasp the words of the lord Jesus in faith and ask .. then wait for this promise and do what ever the lord tells you to do in waiting .
there are two forms of waiting .. one is when we simply wait ..like at a bus stop .. and the other is waiting as one would if one were a waiter at a restaurant but the guest is the king of all kings .. we wait in reverence and holy respect and adoring love asking the lord ,lord what would you have me do for you ..
both of these forms of waiting are to be intermingled out of adoration and certainty that what he has promised that he will also DO .

Upvote 0

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
I may have an example of what some may consider a "fire baptism", if you want to phrase it like that. It's anecdotal, and a first hand detailed account. You can read it and decide for yourself what you think about it :) If you'd rather not however, I'll save the text space, no worries at all :)

Upvote 0

znr

Report THIS.
Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟30,220.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
I may have an example of what some may consider a "fire baptism", if you want to phrase it like that. It's anecdotal, and a first hand detailed account. You can read it and decide for yourself what you think about it :) If you'd rather not however, I'll save the text space, no worries at all :)

Go ahead.

Upvote 0

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
Go ahead.
I remembered I had just typed out the essentials of the account not too long ago here in another thread. I didn't intend the thread to be so long winded and focusing on myself per se, it just turned out that way.

That link goes to a post which is the beginning of some back story leading up to the "baptism" (again, if you want to call it that). I don't think you'd necessarily need to read any of the posts I may have made before it to get the gist. Based on the thread you linked me to the other day concerning NAR and whatnot, and getting to read your thoughts and experience in that thread ... my own account may be an interesting to you ... because it shows the experience I had as taking place almost immediately along with my own "introduction" and first experiences with any sort of claimed "spirit filled" or "charismatic" types of individuals EVER. So perhaps it may interest you from the perspective of someone who hadn't been exposed to all of those types of things before. Or maybe it won't be interesting lol.

The reason I may include it with the "fire baptism" is because I could see why someone would use that terminology. I have a belief (which means it's not on the level of my "facts", just beliefs, thus it's subject to change) that there is a presentation of the Holy Spirit which is experienced as fire and often "wind", but also fire. You actually experience it as though it is burning something inside. Personally, I believe this is different than someone who has the Holy Spirit "come upon them", etc. I think anyone can have that happen, where they are "anointed" with the Spirit. Anyone, meaning even "unbelievers" for that matter. Anyways, if you read the link and don't even want to respond, no worries at all, I won't be offended or take it personally.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I always treat physical or emotional manifestations with a long barge pole read to poke them and then run away. It is because I believe that the Holy Spirit is a Spirit and He comes to indwell our spirit. There is no mention of burning sensations included in the list of the fruit of the Spirit. The Scripture doesn't give a clear definition of what is meant by the "baptism of the Spirit and of fire". We can only get clues from what happened on the Day of Pentecost and other events in Acts. In Acts 2 it talks of what settled on the heads of the disciples was "tongues as of fire". It does not mention actual fire. The Scripture sets a particular standard about how we should conduct ourselves. It says that "the just shall live by faith", not by physical manifestations. Faith is simply believing the promises of God whether we have any attendant manifestations or feelings or none at all. Our Christian walk is not defined by the emotions or manifestations we might have, but by how we exercise faith in Christ.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I always treat physical or emotional manifestations with a long barge pole read to poke them and then run away. It is because I believe that the Holy Spirit is a Spirit and He comes to indwell our spirit. There is no mention of burning sensations included in the list of the fruit of the Spirit. The Scripture doesn't give a clear definition of what is meant by the "baptism of the Spirit and of fire". We can only get clues from what happened on the Day of Pentecost and other events in Acts. In Acts 2 it talks of what settled on the heads of the disciples was "tongues as of fire". It does not mention actual fire. The Scripture sets a particular standard about how we should conduct ourselves. It says that "the just shall live by faith", not by physical manifestations. Faith is simply believing the promises of God whether we have any attendant manifestations or feelings or none at all. Our Christian walk is not defined by the emotions or manifestations we might have, but by how we exercise faith in Christ.

pretty much,is why i said "its terminology .. " we can share our experience as best we can but our words ,our language is not sufficient to portray the things of the Spirit .

when i received the baptism of the Holy Spirit it was indeed like fire and oil ..or oil that hand been ignited vibrating and it poured down over me and into me .. see ,.. that doesn't really make sense lol, except to me who experienced .and perhaps some one else who has and can relate to it .

i was once privileged to see in a meeting in nelson one time a young boy being baptized in the Holy Ghost ... i looked once, then, looked again very intently because i suddenly realized what i was seeing .. there were flames flickering up and down his whole body like he was inside a pillar of fire .. the flames were much like you would see when mentholated spirits is burning ..you see the shape and form of the flames but they were clear ...

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The tag is kind of irrelevant, don't you think.

My question is simply, what does a fire baptism look like. I was hoping people would share their experience.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I'm looking for first hand accounts of what a fire baptism looks like. In other words, from people who reply to this thread.

yes the tag is irrelevant ^_^ to a degree .
i think the best way to know such a thing is to ask the lord Jesus to give you such a thing .because he has promised it to any one who believes :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟688,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Matt 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 12 His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

Here John explains his meaning of "the Holy Spirit and fire".

He is speaking of salvation and judgment. The fire is not what happened in Acts 2, but is the unquenchabld Fire of eternal damnation. Note: he gathers His wheat (precious fruit) into the barn and the chaff is burnt.

In this instance the fire is one of eternal judgment.

I've not witnessed anyone going through judgment

Upvote 0

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
IMO, there are feelings, which a person may produce themselves from their own imaginations ... but then there are also "feelings" which may arise from a bodies response to spiritual stimuli.

If you get punched in the arm, you will feel it. It's a response to stimuli. It also may have a physical manifestation: evidence of the punch (a bruise, or a mark, etc).

IMO, the Holy Spirit tends to cause both a physical response in the person, as well as some sort of manifestation or reflection in reality, etc. So I am one of those who actually does look to *see* what happened. Not just how a person felt, or what they believed to have happened ... but what actually happened during the said event. Was there any physical response from the person, or the environment ? If so, what ? Things of that nature.

I believe the tongues of "fire", the way the Spirit is described as wind, etc ... I believe these aren't just arbitrary analogies or spiritual symbolism (even in vision), rather they are meant to convey one of the ways that the unseen is experienced: what it may "feel" like, as the body responds to the stimulus.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IMO, there are feelings, which a person may produce themselves from their own imaginations ... but then there are also "feelings" which may arise from a bodies response to spiritual stimuli.

If you get punched in the arm, you will feel it. It's a response to stimuli. It also may have a physical manifestation: evidence of the punch (a bruise, or a mark, etc).

IMO, the Holy Spirit tends to cause both a physical response in the person, as well as some sort of manifestation or reflection in reality, etc. So I am one of those who actually does look to *see* what happened. Not just how a person felt, or what they believed to have happened ... but what actually happened during the said event. Was there any physical response from the person, or the environment ? If so, what ? Things of that nature.

I believe the tongues of "fire", the way the Spirit is described as wind, etc ... I believe these aren't just arbitrary analogies or spiritual symbolism (even in vision), rather they are meant to convey one of the ways that the unseen is experienced: what it may "feel" like, as the body responds to the stimulus.

i'd go with that

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
Post 3 and the re iterated in post -11
Ah.

Well post 11, I didn't totally understand why you were quoting your own self and responding to your own self. No offense, but I thought maybe you were speaking to hear yourself speak ? I wasn't sure. I try to avoid conversations where the other person is talking at someone, rather than talking with them. So I saw that and was like, "Hmm. Idk" lol.

As to post 3 ... my own thoughts are thus:

I've thought before something similar perhaps, but not exactly along the concept in which you posted.

God is described as a "consuming fire". Jesus baptizes with Holy Spirit and fire. And of course the "tongues of fire". So the idea of something like fire being an aspect of God/Spirit/Jesus/etc ... is there. Throw into the mix, a "lake of fire" ... and fire seems to be an important role. Even the Garden of Eden, when we were exiled ... part of what was placed to guard the way, a flaming sword. Moses on the mount ? To the Israelites Yahweh on the mountain looked like a consuming fire. Yet, Moses approached and went in anyways. So fire ... fire fire fire.

I've have a pet theory (what I would call a sort-of-belief, which means it could change) that when one is filled with the Spirit in such a way, they are experiencing an aspect of "God's fire". If a person is not ready for the Spirit ... again my sort-of-belief ... it may actually harm them or kill them. IOW, God doesn't just "fill everyone with the Spirit" and cause them to be His children immediately. He knows the conditions for which they will survive and be made new. Otherwise, they will receive the "flip side" of that same fire: the fire that judges, the fire that will not be quenched, etc. A person with the Spirit, can "survive" this fire ... the same fire that is the "flame" of the flaming sword, the same fire of the fire Jesus' uses to burn the chaff, the same fire that is part of God as a consuming fire, etc.

IOW ... everyone will face this "fire" at some point. To some it will be judgement. To others it will be life giving. It IS part of their judgement and death NOW. It is part of the very gift of the resurrection: death being conquered, life remaining. But for those who reject the Spirit, they will still receive the fire at some point, but in a different way.

Again ... belief. I don't always respond to posts where I'm putting forth such speculation either, because I'm not going to "defend" my speculation lol. I don't defend speculation, but I may explore it.

Upvote 0

znr

Report THIS.
Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟30,220.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
I will read the link and reply this week. Been busy but wanted you to know I haven't forgotten.
I remembered I had just typed out the essentials of the account not too long ago here in another thread. I didn't intend the thread to be so long winded and focusing on myself per se, it just turned out that way.

That link goes to a post which is the beginning of some back story leading up to the "baptism" (again, if you want to call it that). I don't think you'd necessarily need to read any of the posts I may have made before it to get the gist. Based on the thread you linked me to the other day concerning NAR and whatnot, and getting to read your thoughts and experience in that thread ... my own account may be an interesting to you ... because it shows the experience I had as taking place almost immediately along with my own "introduction" and first experiences with any sort of claimed "spirit filled" or "charismatic" types of individuals EVER. So perhaps it may interest you from the perspective of someone who hadn't been exposed to all of those types of things before. Or maybe it won't be interesting lol.

The reason I may include it with the "fire baptism" is because I could see why someone would use that terminology. I have a belief (which means it's not on the level of my "facts", just beliefs, thus it's subject to change) that there is a presentation of the Holy Spirit which is experienced as fire and often "wind", but also fire. You actually experience it as though it is burning something inside. Personally, I believe this is different than someone who has the Holy Spirit "come upon them", etc. I think anyone can have that happen, where they are "anointed" with the Spirit. Anyone, meaning even "unbelievers" for that matter. Anyways, if you read the link and don't even want to respond, no worries at all, I won't be offended or take it personally.

Upvote 0