What does this passage mean to you?

R

ryND

James 2:14-26

Faith Without Works Is Dead

14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good[ is that? 17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder! 20 Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; 23 and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God. 24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25 And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? 26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is

dead.

Faith and works... No good works alone will get me in heaven but faith alone will not suffice.

Reactions: psalms 91

Shadow316

May 21, 2014
✟7,886.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
James was teaching to Jews here...

It means IF you have faith it will show in how you act, what you do. You aren't saved by the works, but works will result FROM your salvation (if you live long enough, aren't paralyzed etc).

IF you are saved, you will want to do good works. IF your neighbor needs help (or food) and you sit on your behind watching tv or buying material things instead of helping, you really need to question your salvation. Our Lord has given us a mission and we need to be actively going about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ALoveDivine

Saved By Grace
Jun 25, 2010
Detroit, MI
✟11,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Faith is more than intellectual assent. Even the demons have that. I could believe in all the facts of scripture, I could even believe that Jesus died and rose again, and wouldn't be saved. I could be a brilliant systematic theologian and biblical scholar and be as lost as Satan himself.

Now when I believe that Jesus died on the cross for my sins, that he rose again for me, well that changes everything. That's faith. That kind of faith results in the fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23), and acts of love, compassion, and mercy result from these fruits.

These things flow from this true faith because of the sincere love and gratitude that floods our hearts and souls upon knowing and trusting that Christ paid it all and forever secured our spot in heaven while we deserved none of it.

Words can't begin to express the glory of such magnificent truth, and it is our gratitude that motivates our works of love in this life; not fear, not a striving to earn God's favor, no, but gratitude and love of Christ!

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
James was teaching to Jews here...

It means IF you have faith it will show in how you act, what you do. You aren't saved by the works, but works will result FROM your salvation (if you live long enough, aren't paralyzed etc).

IF you are saved, you will want to do good works. IF your neighbor needs help (or food) and you sit on your behind watching tv or buying material things instead of helping, you really need to question your salvation. Our Lord has given us a mission and we need to be actively going about it.

I agree with the first part of your post but not the second. Your good works will stem from your faith because of the Holy Spirit who dwells in you. If you're making an effort on your own that has nothing to do with it and it certainly has nothing to do with whether you're saved or not. God will provide whatever we need to accomplish his will. In some people (Paul) that is a lot; in others they may be doing nothing but privately praying. Don't judge people by some works standard, even if it's cloaked in "Christianity".

Upvote 0

jbearnolimits

Pastor
Mar 13, 2014
Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the first part of your post but not the second. Your good works will stem from your faith because of the Holy Spirit who dwells in you. If you're making an effort on your own that has nothing to do with it and it certainly has nothing to do with whether you're saved or not. God will provide whatever we need to accomplish his will. In some people (Paul) that is a lot; in others they may be doing nothing but privately praying. Don't judge people by some works standard, even if it's cloaked in "Christianity".

I think you are basically saying the same thing actually. Because when we are in Christ WE are a new creation. Thus it IS us making an effort to do right. Because WE are not the old man, but the new.

For me to live is Christ.

We should be walking in the spirit and not the flesh. So whatever is done of faith is done through the spirit... because the just shall live by faith.

So yeah, I think you are saying the same things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

peterandrewj

Wayfarer
Jan 14, 2014
NYC
✟8,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
James 2:14-26

Faith Without Works Is Dead

14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good[ is that? 17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder! 20 Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; 23 and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God. 24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25 And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? 26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.

Faith and works... No good works alone will get me in heaven but faith alone will not suffice.

Blessings ryND. I agree, we need both faith and works.

The way I see it, James was advocating the royal law, love thy neighbor as thy self, telling the Jews that despising the poor made them transgressors. He was concerned and exhorting them, but when he said "faith without works is dead", he took it to another level. Maybe it was because some resisted his reproof, but that statement challenged them to examine whether they were in Christ.

We are justified by faith, but faith without works is hypocrisy. For example you can't have the faith of Christ with respect of persons, as James said. You can't have the faith of Christ and despise the poor. Such works will not garner you God's mercy. Therefore works are also necessary for justification.

But James went further to say that faith without works is dead, which to me means the love of God is not in them, that God is absent. I believe the works which show our faith is charity, that those who see it may glorify our Father in heaven. These works testify of our faith, and of God.

John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. And if I have all knowledge and understand all mysteries and have not charity, I am nothing.

James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I think we have to distinguish "works" of a born again heart, mind and conscience, (like a "good deed", or an act of obedience from the born again conscience/heart, in response to say, the leading of the promptings of the Holy Spirit) and "works" of law, (observing a written down set of commands or code) The law of the new covenant is supposed to be written down upon a born again believers heart, and not on a sheet of paper, follow our born again conscience is a "work" or act of obedience that I think God prefers, over observing a written down code of law...

Abraham was not following a written down law, in his act of obedience, but it was his faith from the heart and obedience to what he had heard and what was being pressed upon his conscience that was his "work", not out of obligation to some written down law...

Hope that helps, God Bless!

Upvote 0

peterandrewj

Wayfarer
Jan 14, 2014
NYC
✟8,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think we have to distinguish "works" of a born again heart, mind and conscience, (like a "good deed", or an act of obedience from the born again conscience/heart, in response to say, the leading of the promptings of the Holy Spirit) and "works" of law, (observing a written down set of commands or code) The law of the new covenant is supposed to be written down upon a born again believers heart, and not on a sheet of paper, follow our born again conscience is a "work" or act of obedience that I think God prefers, over observing a written down code of law...

Abraham was not following a written down law, in his act of obedience, but it was his faith from the heart and obedience to what he had heard and what was being pressed upon his conscience that was his "work", not out of obligation to some written down law...

Hope that helps, God Bless!

Hi Neogaia, your post does help.

I agree as Christians we should separate the letter of the law from the spirit, in terms of how we serve it. This is something which cannot be done without God for man is carnal.

Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Those are the works James chapter 2 is talking about.

When Christ lives in us, the works which show our faith are mercy, compassion, forgiveness, which is not an act of conscience but of love. And because God will judge us accordingly, faith alone cannot justify us. If these works are absent, then our faith is dead, and dead faith is not honored.

Matthew 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

Matthew 18:35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

James 2:13 For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

Upvote 0

Norah63

Jun 29, 2011
everlasting hills
✟14,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Agree by faith and the Holy Spirit will work in us to bring out our salvation on display.
Yet not I but Christ liveth in me. And the faith that I now have, I have by the faith of the Son of God,
who loves me an gave himself for me.
Christians need not compete in faith or works.

Upvote 0

peterandrewj

Wayfarer
Jan 14, 2014
NYC
✟8,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Agree by faith and the Holy Spirit will work in us to bring out our salvation on display.
Yet not I but Christ liveth in me. And the faith that I now have, I have by the faith of the Son of God,
who loves me an gave himself for me.
Christians need not compete in faith or works.

Amen Norah. It's also the word for those yet carnal. Christ crucified.

Great scripture...makes all the difference.

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

We're all running the race. If we compete we won't tarry for the brethren. As for being puffed up, James chapter 2 is again a classic example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums