STL, MO
✟18,344.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What does the Holy Spirit feel like to you?

How do you know it's that and not a gut feeling?

When you "hear" God do you really HEAR him? How do you know it's not your own inner voice?

I went to assembly of god and they said the only way to know i was really saved was the holy spirit would fill me and i would speak in tongues...does the holy spirit move you to speak in tongues ever?

do any of these questions make sense...

also what passages in the bible can i refer to to read about the holy spirit?

Y_Cathol

Ego Sum Servus Iesu Christi - I am an exile.
May 17, 2004
Alberton
Visit site
✟17,424.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
dawnsday said:

Like the movement towards good, and not evil. Love.

dawnsday said:
I seriously doubt that my gut would be able to guide me, because I am so prone to sin.

dawnsday said:
When you "hear" God do you really HEAR him? How do you know it's not your own inner voice?
I don't actually hear Him, He inspires me.
Refer above:
I seriously doubt that my gut would be able to guide me, because I am so prone to sin.

dawnsday said:
I went to assembly of god and they said the only way to know i was really saved was the holy spirit would fill me and i would speak in tongues...does the holy spirit move you to speak in tongues ever?
I don't think that is right... as far as I understand, the 'speaking in tongues' means speaking in different languages. ie. the Most Holy Spirit allowed them to speak to eachother in their own languages (ie. tongues).
So the answer to that would be: I speak English, Afrikaans, and a tiny bit of Dutch ;)

dawnsday said:

dawnsday said:

Read the Gospels... The talk about Him a bit. -> When Christ was Baptised, When the Apostles received the Holy Spirit Etc.

Upvote 0

lionroar0

Coffee drinker
Jul 10, 2004
✟20,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What does the Holy spirit feel like?

In the other thread when Isaid "The inspiration of the Holy Spirit" I had a reoccuring thought that lasted for about week. This is that thought " I have to take communion" It feels different to different people.

I feel it's warmth. It's also a voice that you hear inside of your mind. Sometimes it sound like my own voice other times just a voice that I recognize as not being mine

When I was inspired by the Spirit. The furthest thing from my mind was communion and coming back to the Catholic Church.

Sometimes it is Gid speaking through my inner voice other times it's another voice.

That's not quite right. Paul speaks of different gifts of the Spirit for the different members of the Church. 1 corithians:12.

I do not speak in tongues. I have seen others that do. There are also other gifts such us discerment and undertstanding. There are gifts which are not physically seen such the gifts of tongues.

Yes they do.

also what passages in the bible can i refer to to read about the holy spirit

I would say read the NT and highlight any verses that speak of the Spirit. I can give you a few examples. When Jesus was baptised the Holy Spirit appeared over Jesus as a dove. After the apostles came out of the upper room they spoke in different languages. Jesus breathed the Spirit onto the Apostles and gave them the authority to fogive sins.

Acts has alot of information about the Holy Spirit working through the apostles.

Peace

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
dawnsday said:

I'm not sure... When I walk into my parish, there is this sweet peacefulness and kind and gentle impression that I have... I completely surrender my will and meditate on being in the presence of the Eucharist. I believe that is due to the Holy Spirit and Him being there with me.

I know the difference. I know my gut feelings verses my own intuition verses something that goes beyond me and my own capabilities. The Holy Spirit inspires beyond feelings/emotions... He is someone that you just know is there... whether you feel Him or not...Don't know how else to explain it...

I've never "heard" God's voice... not verbally... I know God's words though through the Scriptures and the Early Church Father writings... and His words inspire my hunger to learn more.

I went to assembly of God and they said the only way to know I was really saved was the holy spirit would fill me and I would speak in tongues...does the holy spirit move you to speak in tongues ever?

Prior to converting to being Catholic I was a member of a Full Gospel Assembly of God Pentecostal Church... Some Pentecostal churches teach that unless a person is born of the Spirit via speaking in tongues that they are not truly saved... my Pentecostal church did not teach this falsehood. It is a falsehood teaching. Reason being, is that we are filled with the Spirit of God, the moment we ask forgiveness of our sins... and are Baptized in Water in the name of the Father, the Son and The Holy Spirit... (Trinity)

No where in the Scriptures does it say that one has to "speak in tongues" in order to receive the gift of Salvation. I have the gift of speaking in tongues... But this is a gift... in the same category as "teaching" is or "singing" or playing an instrument for God's Church...

In acts, it is very clear that not all will be blessed with the gift of tongues... but anyone who calls on the name of the Lord and ask forgiveness shall be forgiven of their sins... and one must be baptized in order to see God. I hope this clarifies any misunderstanding that may of occurred.

They all make sense... Thank you for asking them.

</FONT>[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]Mt 1:18 - Show Context Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child of the Holy Spirit;

Mt 1:20 - Show Context But as he considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit;

Mt 3:11 - Show Context "I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry; he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

Mt 12:32 - Show Context And whoever says a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

Mt 28:19 - Show Context Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Mr 1:8 - Show Context I have baptized you with water; but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit."

Mr 3:29 - Show Context but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin" --

Mr 12:36 - Show Context David himself, inspired by the Holy Spirit, declared, 'The Lord said to my Lord, Sit at my right hand, till I put thy enemies under thy feet.'

Mr 13:11 - Show Context And when they bring you to trial and deliver you up, do not be anxious beforehand what you are to say; but say whatever is given you in that hour, for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit.

Lu 1:15 - Show Context for he will be great before the Lord, and he shall drink no wine nor strong drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb.

Lu 1:35 - Show Context And the angel said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God.

Lu 1:41 - Show Context And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit

Lu 1:67 - Show Context And his father Zechari'ah was filled with the Holy Spirit, and prophesied, saying,

Lu 2:25 - Show Context Now there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon, and this man was righteous and devout, looking for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him.

Lu 2:26 - Show Context And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he should not see death before he had seen the Lord's Christ.

Lu 3:16 - Show Context John answered them all, "I baptize you with water; but he who is mightier than I is coming, the thong of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie; he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

Lu 3:22 - Show Context and the Holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form, as a dove, and a voice came from heaven, "Thou art my beloved Son; with thee I am well pleased."

Lu 4:1 - Show Context And Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan, and was led by the Spirit

Lu 10:21 - Show Context In that same hour he rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, "I thank thee, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to babes; yea, Father, for such was thy gracious will.

Lu 11:13 - Show Context If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

[/font]
</FONT>[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]Lu 12:10 - Show Context And every one who speaks a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

Lu 12:12 - Show Context for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say."

Joh 1:33 - Show Context I myself did not know him; but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.'

Joh 14:26 - Show Context But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

Joh 20:22 - Show Context And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit.

Ac 1:2 - Show Context until the day when he was taken up, after he had given commandment through the Holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen.

Ac 1:5 - Show Context for John baptized with water, but before many days you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit."

Ac 1:8 - Show Context But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Sama'ria and to the end of the earth."

Ac 1:16 - Show Context "Brethren, the scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke beforehand by the mouth of David, concerning Judas who was guide to those who arrested Jesus.

Ac 2:4 - Show Context And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Ac 2:33 - Show Context Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this which you see and hear.

Ac 2:38 - Show Context And Peter said to them, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Ac 4:8 - Show Context Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, "Rulers of the people and elders,

Ac 4:25 - Show Context who by the mouth of our father David, thy servant, didst say by the Holy Spirit, 'Why did the Gentiles rage, and the peoples imagine vain things?

Ac 4:31 - Show Context And when they had prayed, the place in which they were gathered together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God with boldness.

Ac 5:3 - Show Context But Peter said, "Anani'as, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back part of the proceeds of the land?

Ac 5:32 - Show Context And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey him."

Ac 6:5 - Show Context And what they said pleased the whole multitude, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Proch'orus, and Nica'nor, and Ti'mon, and Par'menas, and Nicola'us, a proselyte of Antioch.

Ac 7:51 - Show Context "You stiff-necked people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always resist the Holy Spirit. As your fathers did, so do you.

Ac 7:55 - Show Context But he, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God;
[/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica][/font]</FONT>[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]Ac 8:15 - Show Context who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit;

Ac 8:17 - Show Context Then they laid their hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit.

Ac 8:19 - Show Context saying, "Give me also this power, that any one on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit."

Ac 9:17 - Show Context So Anani'as departed and entered the house. And laying his hands on him he said, "Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus who appeared to you on the road by which you came, has sent me that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit."

Ac 9:31 - Show Context So the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Sama'ria had peace and was built up; and walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit it was multiplied.

Ac 10:38 - Show Context how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power; how he went about doing good and healing all that were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him.

Ac 10:44 - Show Context While Peter was still saying this, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word.

Ac 10:45 - Show Context And the believers from among the circumcised who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles.

Ac 10:47 - Show Context "Can any one forbid water for baptizing these people who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?"

Ac 11:15 - Show Context As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell on them just as on us at the beginning.

Ac 11:16 - Show Context And I remembered the word of the Lord, how he said, 'John baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.'

Ac 11:24 - Show Context for he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a large company was added to the Lord.

Ac 13:2 - Show Context While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."

Ac 13:4 - Show Context So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit, they went down to Seleu'cia; and from there they sailed to Cyprus.

Ac 13:9 - Show Context But Saul, who is also called Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked intently at him

Ac 13:52 - Show Context And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.

Ac 15:8 - Show Context And God who knows the heart bore witness to them, giving them the Holy Spirit just as he did to us;

Ac 15:28 - Show Context For it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things:

Ac 16:6 - Show Context And they went through the region of Phry'gia and Galatia, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia.

Ac 19:2 - Show Context And he said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said, "No, we have never even heard that there is a Holy Spirit."
[/font]</FONT>[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]Ac 19:6 - Show Context And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them; and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.

Ac 20:23 - Show Context except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me in every city that imprisonment and afflictions await me.

Ac 20:28 - Show Context Take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God which he obtained with the blood of his own Son.

Ac 21:11 - Show Context And coming to us he took Paul's girdle and bound his own feet and hands, and said, "Thus says the Holy Spirit, 'So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this girdle and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.'"

Ac 28:25 - Show Context So, as they disagreed among themselves, they departed, after Paul had made one statement: "The Holy Spirit was right in saying to your fathers through Isaiah the prophet:

Ro 5:5 - Show Context and hope does not disappoint us, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit which has been given to us.

Ro 9:1 - Show Context I am speaking the truth in Christ, I am not lying; my conscience bears me witness in the Holy Spirit,

Ro 14:17 - Show Context For the kingdom of God is not food and drink but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit;

Ro 15:13 - Show Context May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.

Ro 15:16 - Show Context to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles in the priestly service of the gospel of God, so that the offering of the Gentiles may be acceptable, sanctified by the Holy Spirit.

Ro 15:19 - Show Context by the power of signs and wonders, by the power of the Holy Spirit, so that from Jerusalem and as far round as Illyr'icum I have fully preached the gospel of Christ,

1Co 6:19 - Show Context Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God? You are not your own;

1Co 7:34 - Show Context and his interests are divided. And the unmarried woman or girl is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit; but the married woman is anxious about worldly affairs, how to please her husband.

1Co 12:3 - Show Context Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking by the Spirit of God ever says "Jesus be cursed!" and no one can say "Jesus is Lord" except by the Holy Spirit.

2Co 6:6 - Show Context by purity, knowledge, forbearance, kindness, the Holy Spirit, genuine love,

2Co 13:14 - Show Context The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

Eph 1:13 - Show Context In him you also, who have heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and have believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,

Eph 3:5 - Show Context which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

Eph 4:30 - Show Context And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, in whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

1Th 1:5 - Show Context for our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction. You know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake.

[/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1Th 1:6 - Show Context And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction, with joy inspired by the Holy Spirit;

1Th 4:8 - Show Context Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you.

2Ti 1:14 - Show Context guard the truth that has been entrusted to you by the Holy Spirit who dwells within us.

*** 3:5 - Show Context he saved us, not because of deeds done by us in righteousness, but in virtue of his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal in the Holy Spirit,

Heb 2:4 - Show Context while God also bore witness by signs and wonders and various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his own will.

Heb 3:7 - Show Context Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, "Today, when you hear his voice,

Heb 6:4 - Show Context For it is impossible to restore again to repentance those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit,

Heb 9:8 - Show Context By this the Holy Spirit indicates that the way into the sanctuary is not yet opened as long as the outer tent is still standing

Heb 10:15 - Show Context And the Holy Spirit also bears witness to us; for after saying,

1Pe 1:12 - Show Context It was revealed to them that they were serving not themselves but you, in the things which have now been announced to you by those who preached the good news to you through the Holy Spirit sent from heaven, things into which angels long to look.

2Pe 1:21 - Show Context because no prophecy ever came by the impulse of man, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

Jude 1:20 - Show Context But you, beloved, build yourselves up on your most holy faith; pray in the Holy Spirit;

Re 21:10 - Show Context And in the Spirit he carried me away to a great, high mountain, and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God,

The following is what the Catholic Encyclopedia has to say regarding the Holy Spirit... :

Here is the Link, which has a lot more information regarding the Holy Spirit (Ghost): http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07409a.htm
Holy Ghost

I. SYNOPSIS OF THE DOGMA

The doctrine of the Catholic Church concerning the Holy Ghost forms an integral part of her teaching on the mystery of the Holy Trinity, of which St. Augustine (De Trin., I, iii, 5), speaking with diffidence, says: "In no other subject is the danger of erring so great, or the progress so difficult, or the fruit of a careful study so appreciable". The essential points of the dogma may be resumed in the following propositions:
  • The Holy Ghost is the Third Person of the Blessed Trinity.
  • Though really distinct, as a Person, from the Father and the Son, He is consubstantial with Them; being God like Them, He possesses with Them one and the same Divine Essence or Nature.
  • He proceeds, not by way of generation, but by way of spiration, from the Father and the Son together, as from a single principle.
Such is the belief the Catholic faith demands.

God's Peace,

Debbie

[/font]

</FONT>

Upvote 0

jezic

Jun 14, 2005
earth (usually)
✟331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It is very hard to put into words what the Spirit "feels" like. I don't even know if it should be called a feeling at all. It is very different than something like an emotion.

Pray a lot in Adoration. Then you might know what it feels like. (It might not "happen" ever. Faith is not linked to feelings.) Gut feelings are different.

When you hear God speaking, rarely do you hear him with your ears. he speaks to the heart often though.

Do you believe in Jesus? Do you accept him as your Lord and Savior? Do you seek to follow him everyday in the fullness of truth (Catholic) faith?

If so then you could be called "saved" in one sense of the word. (maybe not the protestant idea of it though. That would be an amazing conversion, once and for all to never have to think about the possibility of hell again. That would be a life change beyond the scope of any that i have ever heard of.)

if i made any sense..... :D

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟18,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I feel what I think is the Holy Spirit when I am inspired to do something nice for someone completely out of the blue. It is a feeling that just kind of nudges me...I can ignore it if I want to and He is not persistant at all, but it is very noticeable when it happens.

At least that's what I think I am feeling.

Upvote 0

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Dominus Fidelis said:
I feel what I think is the Holy Spirit when I am inspired to do something nice for someone completely out of the blue. It is a feeling that just kind of nudges me...I can ignore it if I want to and He is not persistant at all, but it is very noticeable when it happens.

That's been my experience too. Whatever I am to do is fully within my natural capacity, but it is not something I would have thought about doing . . . at least not at the time I'm being asked to do it.

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟18,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Carrye said:
That's been my experience too. Whatever I am to do is fully within my natural capacity, but it is not something I would have thought about doing . . . at least not at the time I'm being asked to do it.

Right, you just get this nice "feeling" or "nudge" to do something that you weren't even thinking about, at least consciously...that's my guess as to what He feels like.

I've also had the experience D'Ann described where you enter a Church and you just feel a wonderful presence. I first felt this before I knew anything about the Eucharist or the Tabernacle, or Christianity in general really, and I remember the feeling to this day.

Upvote 0

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Dominus Fidelis said:
I've also had the experience D'Ann described where you enter a Church and you just feel a wonderful presence. I first felt this before I knew anything about the Eucharist or the Tabernacle, or Christianity in general really, and I remember the feeling to this day.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean.

I remember a story that I was told 2nd hand about a priest who had just celebrated Mass and was greeting the parishioners as they were leaving. A young woman, an unbeliever, came up to Fr., grabbed his arm, dragged him to the tabernacle and said "I want what's in there." She knew that feeling too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maggie893

It is what it is.
Sep 13, 2004
Maine
✟28,951.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Carrye said:
Yes, I know exactly what you mean.

I remember a story that I was told 2nd hand about a priest who had just celebrated Mass and was greeting the parishioners as they were leaving. A young woman, an unbeliever, came up to Fr., grabbed his arm, dragged him to the tabernacle and said "I want what's in there." She knew that feeling too.

A friend of mine who was an ardent Protestant worked near a Catholic Church. It's one of the churches that still has the paintings on the ceilings and tons of stained glass windows that have the bible stories within them, big old granite church. He wandered in one day and was completely overtaken by the presence of God. He walked to the head of the aisle in front of the altar and lay down prostrate. He said it just felt like the thing to do. He says that he laid there for a very long time completely absorbed in the sense of God that he was experiencing. A priest came through but never disturbed him, just knelt at the altar rail and prayed. Eventually he realized that he needed to go and left the Church. A couple years later I met him and his wife, 2 years later (one year after me) they became Catholic.

Upvote 0

OnEaglesWings

Apr 5, 2005
✟433.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Maggie893 said:
A friend of mine who was an ardent Protestant worked near a Catholic Church. It's one of the churches that still has the paintings on the ceilings and tons of stained glass windows that have the bible stories within them, big old granite church. He wandered in one day and was completely overtaken by the presence of God. He walked to the head of the aisle in front of the altar and lay down prostrate. He said it just felt like the thing to do. He says that he laid there for a very long time completely absorbed in the sense of God that he was experiencing. A priest came through but never disturbed him, just knelt at the altar rail and prayed. Eventually he realized that he needed to go and left the Church. A couple years later I met him and his wife, 2 years later (one year after me) they became Catholic.

What a wonderful story! It made me teary!!

Upvote 0

Tawny

Senior Contributor
Feb 21, 2005
Buckinghamshire,UK
✟21,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
I am not sure, but to me the tingle I get when I walk into church is the Holy Spirit along with the tingle I get when i go and get blessed by the priest ( I have not converted yet so cannot partake of the Eucharist) Also the feeling of peace after I have prayed my Rosary. I think it is a combination of many different things and cannot be quantified into one feeling or experience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jazzcat

Saltminer
Apr 20, 2004
TOP SECRET LOCATION!
Visit site
✟12,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
D'Ann said:
I'm not sure... When I walk into my parish, there is this sweet peacefulness and kind and gentle impression that I have... I completely surrender my will and meditate on being in the presence of the Eucharist. I believe that is due to the Holy Spirit and Him being there with me.

I know the difference. I know my gut feelings verses my own intuition verses something that goes beyond me and my own capabilities. The Holy Spirit inspires beyond feelings/emotions... He is someone that you just know is there... whether you feel Him or not...Don't know how else to explain it...

I've never "heard" God's voice... not verbally... I know God's words though through the Scriptures and the Early Church Father writings... and His words inspire my hunger to learn more.

Prior to converting to being Catholic I was a member of a Full Gospel Assembly of God Pentecostal Church... Some Pentecostal churches teach that unless a person is born of the Spirit via speaking in tongues that they are not truly saved... my Pentecostal church did not teach this falsehood. It is a falsehood teaching. Reason being, is that we are filled with the Spirit of God, the moment we ask forgiveness of our sins... and are Baptized in Water in the name of the Father, the Son and The Holy Spirit... (Trinity)

No where in the Scriptures does it say that one has to "speak in tongues" in order to receive the gift of Salvation. I have the gift of speaking in tongues... But this is a gift... in the same category as "teaching" is or "singing" or playing an instrument for God's Church...

In acts, it is very clear that not all will be blessed with the gift of tongues... but anyone who calls on the name of the Lord and ask forgiveness shall be forgiven of their sins... and one must be baptized in order to see God. I hope this clarifies any misunderstanding that may of occurred.

They all make sense... Thank you for asking them.

:amen: :amen:

You've pretty much covered everything in one post, Debbie. I also have the gift of tongues, and Paul says it is "The least of the gifts". It's a good starting point. But it is a gift, and not at all necessary for salvation.

Mother Teresa has much to say about God speaking to you. If you read some of her books, she was always talking about quieting one's soul so you can hear the voice of God. He can and will speak to you - his voice is not limited to the OT days, or reserved for people like Abraham and Moses.

Blessings,
Jazzcat :cool:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.