United States
✟15,161.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Please don't get offended anyone but I've been wondering this for awhile but what does it take qualify for sainthood? Like for example, Rasputin healed the children of the Tsar and other such things but he's not a saint. Vlad Tepes defended Christendom to a very large degree against the Muslims and he is not a saint. I guess what I am asking, do we have some sort of guidelines?

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Rasputin did not heal the children of the Tsar. Vlad Tepes did some good things for his nation in a worldly sense, but also did horrible evils in his personal life and to his subjects.

As for you, personally, God wants you to be a saint. If you want to be a saint, God will not prevent you from being what both He and you want.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Please don't get offended anyone but I've been wondering this for awhile but what does it take qualify for sainthood? Like for example, Rasputin healed the children of the Tsar and other such things but he's not a saint. Vlad Tepes defended Christendom to a very large degree against the Muslims and he is not a saint. I guess what I am asking, do we have some sort of guidelines?

Prayer and fasting.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you are asking what makes a canonized Saint, I usually hear it said that the Church recognizes what is already happening.

Typically, people who know the person in life will attest to their personal holiness. After death, local people who know them might ask their intercession, etc. If miraculous healing, etc. results from these requests for intercession, or are associated with relics, the Church investigates. And it may be that they decide to canonize the person.

The statement is usually that the person is one that God chooses to bestow His grace through (the healings, etc.) so it is God that "verifies" a Saint.

Of course, we are ALL called to be saints, and in the epistles, the members of the Church are addressed as such. The thing is, we don't speculate on the salvation of individuals. So unless God shows that He uses that person as a "vehicle" for grace, we don't have "proof" ... so everyone else remains not officially canonized. The vast majority of true Saints are known only to God.

Corrections welcome - this is what I have received from priests and various teaching podcasts. :)

Upvote 0

Wanderlust Pilgrim

Devotee of the Unceasing Prayer
Apr 17, 2015
United States
✟15,161.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Rasputin did not heal the children of the Tsar. Vlad Tepes did some good things for his nation in a worldly sense, but also did horrible evils in his personal life and to his subjects.

As for you, personally, God wants you to be a saint. If you want to be a saint, God will not prevent you from being what both He and you want.

Rasputin healed the children many miles away, and no medical or rational explanation could be given; how is that not miraculous? He predicted the evils of Communism and so on. Sounds kinda holy dude lol and Dracula did not convert to the Catholic faith and remained Orthodox until he died and I have read that this debated among academics as well my friend; he only dolled out justice against the corrupt and evil boyars and Turkish emissaries whom killed and or raped him and his whole family and other atrocities. This could be viewed as an eye for eye and tooth for tooth, no? I'm just saying not to be dark but there is other figures I wonder about who promoted the Orthodox faithful and defended it and or performed spectacular feats and so on.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Rasputin healed the children many miles away, and no medical or rational explanation could be given; how is that not miraculous? He predicted the evils of Communism and so on. Sounds kinda holy dude lol and Dracula did not convert to the Catholic faith and remained Orthodox until he died and I have read that this debated among academics as well my friend; he only dolled out justice against the corrupt and evil boyars and Turkish emissaries whom killed and or raped him and his whole family and other atrocities. This could be viewed as an eye for eye and tooth for tooth, no? I'm just saying not to be dark but there is other figures I wonder about who promoted the Orthodox faithful and defended it and or performed spectacular feats and so on.

Healings and miracles are reported among non-Christian religions. Miracles alone are not sufficient for canonization.

The Church tends to be very careful in recognizing Saints. Remember, it's not like we are the gatekeepers, deciding who gets into heaven and who doesn't. That is solely the judgement of God. Rather than err and canonize someone who shouldn't be, the Church tends to err on the side of caution.

So no, not only miracles. Also a very holy life, known to others. Any hint of not behaving in accordance with holiness would almost certainly mean the Church would not canonize them.

But again, remember, that has nothing to do with barring a person from heaven. The Church (afaik) seems to ONLY want to comment on the ones that are already with God, beyond any shadow of reasonable doubt. That's part of the purpose of recognizing them.

And remember "eye for eye" is not how Christ instructed us to live. He said instead to turn the other cheek. Vengeance belongs to The Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums