What does it mean to be "the man in the relationship"?

Nom De Guerre

Who amongst you doesn't see life as permanent?
May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
lol, well, I assume this means that you should be a man and not an overgrown teenage boy trapped in an adult body... but if you're looking for precise examples, I imagine that means you should be patient, loving, caring, a leader... the more common things ladies look for at any age.

Upvote 0

Fremdin

Contributor
Jan 26, 2008
✟17,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I had an inappropriate answer for this, surprise surprise, but my honest answer is that it means the dominant partner who provides emotional, financial and other support for the other partner and it's the one who is most in charge. It's annoying and unfair thing to want in my opinion. It undermines everyone to me, men and women.

Reactions: Tamara224
Upvote 0

Fremdin

Contributor
Jan 26, 2008
✟17,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
lol, well, I assume this means that you should be a man and not an overgrown teenage boy trapped in an adult body... but if you're looking for precise examples, I imagine that means you should be patient, loving, caring, a leader... the more common things ladies look for at any age.

it's funny how differently we view this, I wonder if it has to do with our gender or something else?

Upvote 0

Fremdin

Contributor
Jan 26, 2008
✟17,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't think it has to do with gender, cynicism perhaps? Though, if you do see the examples both of us laid out, I think we're pretty close to each other's examples as well

Yeah, I'm shocked how cynical my response when looking at yours. They are similar but your is about taking pride in supporting another person and mine is leaching off another's support, but I bet they'd be the same couple.

Upvote 0

Nom De Guerre

May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, it's a two-way street; well, a healthy relationship really is anyway. The leeching kind gets old pretty quickly and doesn't have a foundation to stand-upon, probably why there are over 50% of the marriages going down the tubes...

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
I can't answer for anyone who put that, but logic would tell us that it's the stereotypical male-ness that we see and hear about in the media; the guy who is a leader, a take charge, no-nonsense guy, who is decisive, strong, stable and secure. Someone not prone to emotional crying spells, passivity, indecision or all around "wussiness". That's the stereotypical view. If they mean something else, well, why don't you ask them yourself and see? ;) Could lead to a nice opening for you. :D

Upvote 0

Nom De Guerre

May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So here's a couple of questions fremdin: Why the cynicism? I mean I can reach for my own conclusions, but I think this would be much more interesting. How did you reach your decision on what a 'man' should, or shouldn't, be in a relationship?

Upvote 0

Fremdin

Contributor
Jan 26, 2008
✟17,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So here's a question fremdin: Why the cynicism? I mean I can reach for my own conclusions, but I think this would be much more interesting. How did you reach your decision on what a 'man' should, or shouldn't, be in a relationship?

It's not about what a man should be, it's about what a woman shouldn't be. But I totally want to hear your conclusions about why I'm so cynical, I'm incapable about being honest about myself when it comes to men sometimes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nom De Guerre

May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's not about what a man should be, it's about what a woman shouldn't be. But I totally want to hear your conclusions about why I'm so cynical, I'm incapable about being honest about myself when it comes to men sometimes.

Well, it all started back in 1995, and the sun was shinning I believe; you were walking through your school yard and the boy you happened to like was sitting on a play structure... my guess is that he said or did something to you which created a redundancy which has caused your cynicism. Yes... quite... I rather like that.

No, to be honest, seems like you've probably encountered enough cynicism that you seemed to have agreed with it; who knows, maybe a past possible relationship played a role in your deliberations. I'm sure I could hypothesize for awhile, which isn't exactly sharing much of anything new to me... hence why I asked you :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fremdin

Contributor
Jan 26, 2008
✟17,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, it all started back in 1995, and the sun was shinning I believe; you were walking through your school yard and the boy you happened to like was sitting on a play structure... my guess is that he said or did something to you which created a redundancy which has caused your cynicism. Yes... quite... I rather like that.

No, to be honest, seems like you've probably encountered enough cynicism that you seemed to have agreed with; who knows, maybe a past possible relationship played a role in your deliberations. I'm sure I could hypothesize for awhile, which isn't exactly sharing much of anything new to me... hence why I asked you :p

I like that story, it made me try and think who I liked in 1995... I can not remember ( actually I can, I still love you Mike Hemmerick!) Though he was never redundant, only glorious and rebellious. He ran away from school. Anyway.
I don't know where my cynicism comes from, I'll think about it and get back to you

Upvote 0

LOVEthroughINTELLECT

The courage to be human
Jul 30, 2005
✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If they mean something else, well, why don't you ask them yourself and see? ;) Could lead to a nice opening for you. :D

I will as soon as you provide payment for a subscription to the service.

Can I be "the man in the relationship" if I am unemployed and broke?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I can't answer for anyone who put that, but logic would tell us that it's the stereotypical male-ness that we see and hear about in the media; the guy who is a leader, a take charge, no-nonsense guy, who is decisive, strong, stable and secure. Someone not prone to emotional crying spells, passivity, indecision or all around "wussiness". That's the stereotypical view.

That's what I was thinking...basically the same as the whole "who wears the pants in the family" about who is in charge.

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2004
✟11,699.00
Faith
Other Religion
If "being the man" is being responsible, kind, strong, calm/collected, then what does "being the woman" imply? I hope any woman asking for a 'real man' expects nothing less from herself, otherwise she's looking for a crutch.

In general, masculinity is defined as possessing positive human traits--strength, assertiveness, honor, competence, confidence, etc. Femininity is defined as whatever good traits are left over, a lot of bad traits, and a lot of traits that are watered down versions of masculine traits. I'd prefer we would abandon this gender distinction in favor of embracing traits that make a person a good human being.

Upvote 0

penNpaper

Keep on moving
Nov 14, 2006
Youngstown
✟33,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Browsing profiles on internet dating sites I have more than a few times seen a woman saying that she is looking for someone who will be "the man in the relationship".

:scratch:

Pretty much be the Leader of the Relationship...to have some *ahem* and not be some sort of wimp lol

I dunno lol

God Bless,
Drew

Upvote 0