What does it mean to be saved?

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As I said, depends on who you ask. My opinion? Anyone who does their best to love his neighbor as himself, and when they stand before God to be judged aren't so proud as to reject Jesus' sacrifice.

I think a higher proportion of secular humanists will make it into Heaven, than those who call themselves Christian.

So is it your opinion that even an Atheist can get into heaven as long as he loves his neighbor as himself and does not reject Jesus' sacrifice when he stands before God?

K

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ken if I misread you, I sincerely apologize. My tone was rather harsh and I am very sorry. Sometimes I read into what people are saying poorly when it is online, I am usually more patient then that and I am sorry that I have failed you in this way. God has much patience with me and I do not deserve it, I should be treating you the same...Not that I'm saying you don't deserve my patience, if you are asking genuinely you certainly do

That's okay! Apology accepted

K

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Almost. The problem I have with this explanation is the phase "good person." It's a humanist term, which I'm not very fond of. The point is not trying to become a good person. It's that we love God, and so we want to do what makes Him happy.

Okay; let me restate. Is being saved simply believing Jesus was a sacrafice and doing everything you can to please God?

K

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I would take that further. To present "being saved" as what we believe to members of the early Church, no doubt would have left them looking at you (us) like we were mad. Faith is not a matter of what you believe or don't as if there will be a cosmic quiz and we either get a passing grade (heaven) or we fail (hell.)

It's rather a question of Jesus' OWN Life taking up residence in us, and Him knowing His own.

Exactly what happens to a person when Jesus takes up residence in a person's life? And does this have any affect on his free will?

K

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Exactly what happens to a person when Jesus takes up residence in a person's life? And does this have any affect on his free will?

K

Now we're getting somewhere! This is the direction you want to look, to gain understanding of this "stuff." First of all let me address free will, 'cause that's easy. We don't lose any of it in this life. All it means is we do what we choose, as much as we are able.

There are many ways of phrasing "when Jesus takes up residence in a person's life." And it is not so black-and-white, although I think G-d would like it to be. Anyway, no part of that involves some switch we can flip so we simply obey G-d. We mess up, for an endless variety of reasons including not knowing any better. We are after all talking about things that can't be seen, so in some sense we very much are blind. This also makes it difficult to talk about in precise terms, so your good question of "Exactly what happens to a person when Jesus takes up residence in a person's life?" has no simple answer.

This is Good News because if it were simple, life would be nothing but boring. Instead, the 4 Gospels serve a function of bringing us face-to-face with Jesus' Life, and the rest of the NT shows us "what happens to a person when Jesus takes up residence in a person's life." Beginning with Acts, (right after the Gospels) which admittedly has some boring details in it.

The fact is, each and every believer has a unique "what happens to a person when Jesus takes up residence in a person's life." To go into great detail of what this meant to me, has a low likelihood of being relevant to you. To soak in the Scriptures themselves and watch them come alive in yourself, we would share a common bond known as "Christian fellowship." And yet,
"what happens to a person when Jesus takes up residence your life," would be unique, and at least somewhat new to me, as well as everyone else on CF. This is a manifestation of God's Glory; i.e., showing us how great He is.

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Okay; let me restate. Is being saved simply believing Jesus was a sacrafice and doing everything you can to please God?

K

Correct. But keep in mind that good works are the evidence rather than the cause of salvation. What we do is proof of whether or not any real change has taken place, but our actions themselves don't save us.

Upvote 0

chris4243

Advocate of Truth
Mar 6, 2011
✟2,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So is it your opinion that even an Atheist can get into heaven as long as he loves his neighbor as himself and does not reject Jesus' sacrifice when he stands before God?

K

My opinion, yes. Though I'm sure many others will disagree, and claim that God is all stuck up on whether people have joined that person's little circle.

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My opinion, yes. Though I'm sure many others will disagree, and claim that God is all stuck up on whether people have joined that person's little circle.

Not a Biblical perspective, but you're allowed to hold your own opinions. But I'd advise you to be careful what you say about this "stuck up" God of the Bible, in case you have to stand in front of Him some day.

Upvote 0