(Moved) what does it cost to run a 30 second prime time TV ad?

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
i found this interesting.
Los Angeles, CA $109,707.78 for 30 seconds
New York, NY $2,090,852.05 for 30 seconds

Miami, FL $37,738.72 for 30 seconds
Chicago, IL $33,436.34 for 30 seconds

Atlanta, GA $31,593.10 for 30 seconds
Philadelphia PA $40,367.68 for 30 seconds

Las Vegas, NV $ 9,409.92 for 30 seconds
Manchester, NH $ 3,873.53 for 30 seconds

Denver. CO $26,608.23 for 30 seconds
Richmond,VA $ 8,641.62 for 30 seconds

Raleigh,NC $ 13,035.41 for 30 seconds
Columbus, OH $ 11,049.64 for 30 seconds

Des Moines, IA $ 2,950.20 for 30 seconds
Milwaukee,WI $ 6,098.96 per 30 seconds

(sorry it got jumbled in the end product. i had it spaced out in columns but they didn't translate to the finished post.)

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
It's also dependent on the Nielsen ratings of the show it's being broadcast on--and the station that broadcasts it. There are lots of variables.

good points.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Ninty of us Evan McMullen folks in Minnesota got together last night and did a gofundme thing to buy three electronic highway billboards for a week before the election. Three electronic signs for a week is $3000 in the Minneapolis St. Paul market. Far more affordable than a TV ad. And we get to update content on the fly. Presuming they are actually on highly traveled roads, I hope, so it might be effective. I know that these things are evaluated in terms of dollars per voter. I hope we spent well, and I guess that would be known if the polling continues to climb and maybe break into double digits here in Minnesota. Not like we're expecting to win in Minnesota. Hillary has that in the bag barring a real miracle.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Ninty of us Evan McMullen folks in Minnesota got together last night and did a gofundme thing to buy three electronic highway billboards for a week before the election. Three electronic signs for a week is $3000 in the Minneapolis St. Paul market. Far more affordable than a TV ad. And we get to update content on the fly. Presuming they are actually on highly traveled roads, I hope, so it might be effective. I know that these things are evaluated in terms of dollars per voter. I hope we spent well, and I guess that would be known if the polling continues to climb and maybe break into double digits here in Minnesota. Not like we're expecting to win in Minnesota. Hillary has that in the bag barring a real miracle.

now that's a good thing. I applaud your initiative, and i agree it is very smart to use grass roots efforts to get out the vote.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
now that's a good thing. I applaud your initiative, and i agree it is very smart to use grass roots efforts to get out the vote.
It's a truly shoestring operation from top to bottom. About one eight-hundredth of the big party spending. Very grass-roots. And yet it took only one evening with a $35 average donation for us to pull that ad off.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Media Arts student here, just thought I'd mention that the cost for airtime is generally correlated with the market area, and how effective an ad campaign will be based on those numbers.

For example, New York and Los Angeles are so expensive because they're the top two television markets in the US. Roughly 7.3 million TV homes in NY and 5.4 million in LA, for a combined percentage of 11.3% of US households. Those two cities have 93% and 92% TV penetration, respectively. Stations like WPIX in NY and KTLA in LA are very well known broadcast networks in their regions and so draw a lot of viewership.

That means you're going to get a lot of exposure and a lot of bang for your buck from 8-11pm.

Contrast that with Des Moines which has the 72nd largest overall market (compared to NY and LA at #1 and #2). Des Moines serves about 426 thousand TV homes for 0.376% of the US, which is pretty good but comparatively it's far less than the top 10 market areas.

...Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums