Nov 22, 2007
✟24,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
In the book I'm reading which is the 2nd volume of a biography of David Martyn Lloyd-Jones he was writing to a friend of his and a line from his letter reads: "When I have finished, DV, I shall return it to you." This can be found on page 207.
And on page 199 is a copy of an advertisement in which the book's subject will be speaking and one line reads, "...will (D.V.) be held at the Library on..."

Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
In the book I'm reading which is the 2nd volume of a biography of David Martyn Lloyd-Jones he was writing to a friend of his and a line from his letter reads: "When I have finished, DV, I shall return it to you." This can be found on page 207.
And on page 199 is a copy of an advertisement in which the book's subject will be speaking and one line reads, "...will (D.V.) be held at the Library on..."

DV is latin for "Lord Willing."

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'm reading alot of books and some magazines in the Reformed tradition and occasionally the author or authors write DV. Does anyone know what the letters mean?

DV = Deus Volente = "God Willing"

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
... "A true recognition of God’s sovereignty causes us to hold our every plan in abeyance to God’s will. The writer well recalls an incident which occurred in England over twenty years ago. Queen Victoria was dead, and the date for the coronation of her eldest son, Edward, had been set for April 1902. In all the announcements which were sent out, two little letters were omitted—D. V.—Deo Volente: God willing.
Plans were made and all arrangements completed for the most imposing celebrations that England had ever witnessed. Kings and emperors from all parts of the earth had received invitations to attend the royal ceremony. The Prince’s proclamations were printed and displayed, but, so far as the writer is aware, the letters D. V. were not found on a single one of them. A most imposing program had been arranged, and the late Queen’s eldest son was to be crowned Edward the Seventh at Westminster Abbey at a certain hour on a fixed day. And then God intervened, and all man’s plans were frustrated. A still small voice was heard to say, "You have reckoned without Me," and Prince Edward was stricken down with appendicitis, and his coronation postponed for months! "

A W Pink

Upvote 0