What does an atheist have to do to repent?

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello beastmaster,

I'll take a short stab at your question.

I often hear Christians shout the word "repent" at atheists and non-believers. What exactly does this mean? How would someone who doesn't believe in God repent?

Well, it does seem a bit silly that Christians would shout the word 'repent' at those who don't believe that a 'god' exist, especifically in a god that claims we have a moral obligation to respond.

The word,"repent," in the biblical sense simply means to turn from one's sins, which I surmise you already know. But to be able to acknowledge the significance and weight of the concept of biblical 'sin,' a person would have to believe that a biblical god exists, even one that can be sinned against. Therefore, atheists can't repent from sin, because to do so, they would have to first become theists, at the very least, and they would have to have some notion that God needs to be morally appeased.

Perhaps the Christians of which you speak should spend a bit more time in discussing the validity of God's possible existence than striking atheists with prophetic verbiage.

What do you think about this?

Have a great day!

2PhiloVoid

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

beastmaster

Jun 29, 2012
✟15,187.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hello beastmaster,

I'll take a short stab at your question.

Well, it does seem a bit silly that Christians would shout the word 'repent' at those who don't believe that a 'god' exist, especifically in a god that claims we have a moral obligation to respond.

The word,"repent," in the biblical sense simply means to turn from one's sins, which I surmise you already know. But to be able to acknowledge the significance and weight of the concept of biblical 'sin,' a person would have to believe that a biblical god exists, even one that can be sinned against. Therefore, atheists can't repent from sin, because to do so, they would have to first become theists, at the very least, and they would have to have some notion that God needs to be morally appeased.

Perhaps the Christians of which you speak should spend a bit more time in discussing the validity of God's possible existence than striking atheists with prophetic verbiage.

What do you think about this?

Have a great day!

2PhiloVoid

I think this is a very reasonable response.

Upvote 0

DCJazz

Doctor Coffee
Dec 15, 2010
Idaho, USA
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No one, athiest or otherwise, can repent if they don't want to, and/or don't acknowledge God is, well, God, and especially if they don't accept Christ died for their sins, that they might have life. Repent means to 'turn away from', if I'm not mistaken. It's not just saying 'sorry'; it's turning your entire life around to follow Christ, instead of following yourself.

And as far as this "Christians shouting repent at you" thing, if that's literally true then they really aren't doing anyone, even themselves, any favors. So sorry about that.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I often hear Christians shout the word "repent" at atheists and non-believers. What exactly does this mean? How would someone who doesn't believe in God repent?

If you ask me, repentance seems to have become rather misunderstood in some circles. The Greek word is metanoia, if taken literally it means "beyond-mind", but more appropriately refers to a transformation in thinking/acting/doing. It's a radical overhaul of our pattern of thought. In the Gospel of Mark we read of Jesus saying, "'The time has come', He said, 'The kingdom of God is near. Repent! Believe the good news!'" The kingdom of God means a total turning upside down of everything, that means re-thinking everything. St. Paul the Apostle instructs Christians, "Do not be conformed to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind" and also, "Have this same disposition in you that was in Christ Jesus..."

Repentance is transformation, and is ultimately a life-long process, a mode of being. It is the transformation of being a person identified with the mode of this present age, to being a person identified with God's creation-transforming work to transfigure this world to be the world He has called into being through Christ.

I don't believe repentance is something we can accomplish; it is a work of Divine Grace, conferring faith to us and uniting us to Christ--it is a mystical transformation of our human personhood. Beginning in our new birth in Baptism and continuing throughout the course of our life, and being completed and accomplished fully and finally when Christ returns and the dead are raised incorruptible. Repentance is self-death, it is conforming to Christ, a total overhaul of who and what we are as human beings.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
If a Christian shouts "repent!" at an atheist, the implication is to become Christian. As noted above, repentance means reorienting our lives to bring them into conformity with Christ. For an atheist that would start with accepting Christ. Why say "repent!" and not "believe!"? Because it's not just an intellectual belief. It's a change in life, and for many people it starts by recognizing their need for salvation, i.e. in Christian terms accepting responsibility for their sins.

For Christians, however, repentance is a way of life. Not that we're always negative because we think we're dirty sinners, but that we're honest with ourselves and God about our shortcoming, and ask his help regularly in dealing with them. Via Crucis gives a much better description of it.

I think many non-Christians do something similar, though not envisioning it as a religious activity. There are certainly atheists who are honest with themselves, who recognize when they've blown it, and do their best to reconcile with people they have offended and to do better next time. That's what repentance would look like for an atheist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheWorriedOne

Dec 7, 2011
✟7,871.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
When a Christian says repent they mean turn away from your sins and turn to God. Repentance is generally meaningless to an Atheist since they don't believe in God. If an Atheist decided to repent and turn to God they could they would just have to try very hard. Avoid sin, "not all together just as best as possible", go to church, pray, and never stop trying it will eventually click trust me.

Upvote 0