What do you think God meant when he said it is better to give than receive?

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Give a helping hand, give the shirt off your back, give a hug, give a shoulder to cry on, give what you have to share and it doesn't mean you are in a superior position, but have a giving heart to see a need and fill it.

As regards material, you can only give a shirt if you have a shirt. Unless you're stealing the shirt like a Robin Hood, I guess.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
As regards material, you can only give a shirt if you have a shirt. Unless you're stealing the shirt like a Robin Hood, I guess.
Have you read about the story of a fellow seeing a homeless man on the street, decided that he would give this man $1000 dollars. He was shocked to find this man sharing it with other homeless men in food, clothing, and shelter. His blessing one man multiplied by choosing a giving heart, unbeknownst to him, to bless.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Have you read about the story of a fellow seeing a homeless man on the street, decided that he would give this man $1000 dollars. He was shocked to find this man sharing it with other homeless men in food, clothing, and shelter. His blessing one man multiplied by choosing a giving heart, unbeknownst to him, to bless.

I didn't read it, I saw it on youtube, because the person decided to film it to gain glory, contrary to the Bible (Matthew 6:3-4). From a secular perspective though it was a good thing to do, though it was done for show and for profit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
I didn't read it, I saw it on youtube, because the person decided to film it to gain glory, contrary to the Bible (Matthew 6:3-4). From a secular perspective though it was a good thing to do, though it was done for show and for profit.
Doesn't mean that the outcome was expected.

Upvote 0

Tishri1

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2004
Southern California
✟324,584.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
How about this gift for God?

Roman 12:1 So brothers and sisters, since God has shown us great mercy, I beg you to offer your lives as a living sacrifice to him. Your offering must be only for God and pleasing to him, which is the spiritual way for you to worship. 2 Do not be shaped by this world; instead be changed within by a new way of thinking. Then you will be able to decide what God wants for you; you will know what is good and pleasing to him and what is perfect.

:)

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Pentateuch and Yeshua

Nov 20, 2015
✟15,669.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't think that "God" said "it's better to give than to receive" anywhere in the bible.
------------------------------------------------------------

All through scripture we see that both giving to the needy, and receiving blessings from our Creator and necessities from kind people are both wonders in their own right. We should seek both to give and to receive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tishri1

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2004
Southern California
✟324,584.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that "God" said "it's better to give than to receive" anywhere in the bible.
------------------------------------------------------------

All through scripture we see that both giving to the needy, and receiving blessings from our Creator and necessities from kind people are both wonders in their own right. We should seek both to give and to receive.
New International Version Acts 20:35
In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' "

Last edited:
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Tishri1

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2004
Southern California
✟324,584.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
But while finding that scripture I was thinking......if I want to bestow on my friend (give to him), I might just want to agree with him instead.....I DO agree that perhaps God wants us to do both!!! :) You are very wise in your statement there!:oldthumbsup:

And to go along with that wise statement....perhaps in giving and receiving from each other we are blessing our Father in Heaven in a most amazing way. :):groupray:

Upvote 0