What do you think causes people to believe the Bible is Gods word?

jbearnolimits

Pastor
Mar 13, 2014
Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the foundational doctrines of Christians (and the first one required for salvation) is to believe the word of God. Now I am a firm believer that the Bible is indeed the word of God. Yet there does seem to be many that do not agree.

Some say that it is the words of men writing what they "felt" God wanted them to write, but that their words were their own and not the word of God.

I have a question and I would like to hear what all sides have to say about this. I am not asking if the Bible is the word of God or not. But I would like to ask what you think would prove the Bible to be the word of God for yourself (if you don't believe it is) or for others?

I am just trying to get a feel for the different issues people have and their needs in this area.

Anna the Seeker

Oct 27, 2014
✟8,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Firstly, quite many of the other religions have things that match with the Bible, and while those religions may not see those things or events in the same light as the Bible (what other beliefs see things as holy, Bible may see them as deceptions of the fallen angels etc), it's still a kind of a proof. That many things spiritual eventually lead to it.

Second, the Bible has gotten a tremendous amount of it's prophecies to actually come true. And regarding that, we're actually living some fascinating times right now.

Third, my prayers have been answered before.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
30+ years ago, I was a young Petty Officer attending Naval Nuclear Power School. There was a lot of theory being taught, but the scope of the course did not include the necessary calculus or graduate-level physics required to fully prove some concepts.

So, for these things, the instructor would just tell us to "press the 'I believe' button" so we could move on.

I press the "I believe" button and accept that the bible is the word of God. If I do not, then my entire faith is invalid

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
One of the foundational doctrines of Christians (and the first one required for salvation) is to believe the word of God. Now I am a firm believer that the Bible is indeed the word of God. Yet there does seem to be many that do not agree.

Some say that it is the words of men writing what they "felt" God wanted them to write, but that their words were their own and not the word of God.

I have a question and I would like to hear what all sides have to say about this. I am not asking if the Bible is the word of God or not. But I would like to ask what you think would prove the Bible to be the word of God for yourself (if you don't believe it is) or for others?

I am just trying to get a feel for the different issues people have and their needs in this area.

You hit upon it in your last sentence. It's about "need". A need that finds its fulfillment only in Jesus Christ...the Jesus Christ of the Bible. He is what gives credibility to the Bible. When we have believed and received the Jesus of the Bible, then we know that it is of God...and good and true and profitable.

We can give a person all of the many rational arguments and proofs for the Bibles legitimacy, and we should....but, if they never meet the Jesus of the Bible, they will never be free of their skepticism.

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2014
✟8,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We're all different, but I believed the bible when I hoped God was real, and was looking for him. And when to my great surprise God showed up via the Spirit promised in the gospel, it confirmed the bible was true.

The confirmations have continued in blessings from Christ, as God works according to his word, ordering my steps in his word, and causing his word in my heart to bear fruit.

Only by his grace I've learned to trust his word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I think confusion over some small grammatical issues has caused most Christians to believe the scriptures are on the same level as the Word. The Word is clearly Christ as described in the first chapter of John's gospel, this is distinct from the scriptures - the bible - which are described as the scriptures in various places throughout the text (such as in 1 Corinthians 15).

Christ is the Word, the bible is the scriptures. It's dangerous to conflate the two because it often leads to bibliolatry, or exalting the bible itself to a place that only God himself should occupy.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
remember the eternal word "blessed art thou simon barjona , for flesh and blood hath not revealed this to you, but the father in heaven"

and so it is
for all so blessed. no glory nor credit to the flesh nor to the mind nor the ways of men, but only to Yhvh the Creator for all time.

this is verified throughout the book, as also john the immerser spoke "a man can receive nothing at all unless it is granted him from the father in heaven"
and
again "not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit sayeth yhvh elohim.

and so it is, throughout scripture, and known only to those enlightened for yhvh's purpose as he has always said.

the importance of this is not for those who know, but so as not to worry about those who do not know and who do not want to know, yet who bicker over words and deny the messiah yahushua --- it indeed does no good to speak with all the wisdom of yhvh, nor for someone once dead to arise from the dead and speak - they still will not listen. their heard heart and blind eyes cannot be swayed or changed by fleshly means, nor by worldly means, not by any knowledge of men, nor by any scholarship - no, only by grace in yahushua hamoshiach granted by the father from heaven. (and,,so,, prayer......... simply; simple; prayer for them "father, forgive them who know not what they do) mercy, grace, justice, healing may they receive from thy hand, if you will soften their heart to seek thee and to call on thee for help in time of need; for life instead of death. amein.

Upvote 0

jbearnolimits

Pastor
Mar 13, 2014
Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
father, forgive them who know not what they do) mercy, grace, justice, healing may they receive from thy hand, if you will soften their heart to seek thee and to call on thee for help in time of need; for life instead of death. amein.

And amen

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Those men did not write what they "felt" God told them to write, but they heard an actual voice speaking to/with them, I know because I have heard it too...

What proves it to me to be the word of God is I believe it is true, number one, and then the miracles, fulfilled prophecies, and the wisdom of the words, not man's wisdom, but God's wisdom, to man, and it's truth, it is written by humble men who aren't afraid to tell the truth...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Those men did not write what they "felt" God told them to write, but they heard an actual voice speaking to/with them, I know because I have heard it too...

What proves it to me to be the word of God is I believe it is true, number one, and then the miracles, fulfilled prophecies, and the wisdom of the words, not man's wisdom, but God's wisdom, to man, and it's truth, it is written by humble men who aren't afraid to tell the truth...

and amein.

Upvote 0