Idaho, USA
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have an issue I have been struggling with since I was 20 years old. I despair of ever 'fixing' it, but I still rely on God to help me even when I fail. I realize it's more a sign of my immaturity, pride, and denial that I need to surrender 100% in everything I am to Christ. Yet I always seem to fail to even attempt to do this.

But I won't give up on God. Neither should you. He isn't here because I want him to be; rather, it's the other way around. I'm the creation, not the creator, so who am I to demand things? Yet I have faith that He will help me to become the person I should be, as opposed to the person I want to be.

As far as hypnosis, buddhism, and meditation go, I'd advise staying away from it. Part of what caused the problem that I'm now struggling with for years on end started with meditation/buddhism, progressed into hypnosis, and that stepped into the thing I"m struggling with now. I don't want to mention it because it's too personal. You understand.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been talking to a therapist for about a year and this Thursday she would like to try hypnosis. I've been trying to decide if I want to do that. I hope this is not off-topic, but it kind of relates to Christianity. Also if people have read my other thread they will see I've been through some strange things that add to my worries about hypnosis.

My brother and I are partners in the family business, so we see each other every day. I feel an irrational anger whenever I see him and that turns into depression and hopelessness. For example, I can be feeling fine until I glance and see him somewhere and then I feel anger that quickly turns into depression and then I start fantasizing about suicide. I would never commit suicide, but it isn't a happy state. Also I'm sure this wears on my brother - even though he is very understanding about my problem.

I realized it has to do with an idea that being happy and content or seeing the glass as half full instead of half empty would make me a failure... but if I am unhappy with my situation then that keeps me from being a failure. Obviously this is a silly idea, but it is something I learned by watching my father and he learned it from his father and on back.

So, unfortunately I think my brother is a symbol of my own feeling of being a failure and a loser. Whenever I see him it is like somebody saying, "in case you forgot, cloudyday, you are a loser and you are trapped and doomed to be a loser until you die. Have a nice day." :)

As an example of how extreme this is. My father had cancer and was too sick to work (that's why I am now my brother's business partner). When he did have a brief remission before he died, my father couldn't allow himself to enjoy a vacation or to collect disability he was entitled to collect - because that would make him a failure in his own self image. He joined a gym and tried to get back in shape so he could get a job in Iraq working for Halliburton. That's a really absurd idea for somebody who just crawled out of his death bed, but is shows how extreme this feeling runs in my family. Realizing it came from my father makes me feel better, because I admire my father and that helps me understand myself.

So that's my problem. When I was attending church I was hoping that God would fix it, and that is mainly why I gradually gave up on God. I've got to do something about it, but knowing that doesn't give me a solution.

This is partly why I've been interested in Buddhism and meditation.
I haven't read all the posts, so I apologize if I'm retreading old ground or coming from left field.

First of all, I understand your plight. I have clinical depression, and my brother reminds me of my own failures like yours does.

Second, it's too bad it has caused you to gradually give up on God (my situation was again the same), but I'm now gradually coming back to Him.

One thing you don't want to do is replace God with lies, or you may never return. So please don't get involved with Buddhism or some other false system of beliefs. If you must keep God on the back burner for now, that's better than substituting lies for Him. Then you can meet back up with Him on the other side of the problem.

Finally, I would wholeheartedly support hypnosis. I tried getting hypnosis for my depression, but none of my psychiatrists thought it would help. As I understand it, hypnosis is just a state of intense relaxation where you are more vulnerable to suggestions posed by the therapist. Nothing wrong with that, assuming your therapist is ethical.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I have an issue I have been struggling with since I was 20 years old. I despair of ever 'fixing' it, but I still rely on God to help me even when I fail. I realize it's more a sign of my immaturity, pride, and denial that I need to surrender 100% in everything I am to Christ. Yet I always seem to fail to even attempt to do this.

But I won't give up on God. Neither should you. He isn't here because I want him to be; rather, it's the other way around. I'm the creation, not the creator, so who am I to demand things? Yet I have faith that He will help me to become the person I should be, as opposed to the person I want to be.

As far as hypnosis, buddhism, and meditation go, I'd advise staying away from it. Part of what caused the problem that I'm now struggling with for years on end started with meditation/buddhism, progressed into hypnosis, and that stepped into the thing I"m struggling with now. I don't want to mention it because it's too personal. You understand.

Thanks for that other perspective on hypnosis. I'll go talk to the therapist today. Hopefully I'll be assertive enough to say no to hypnosis, because I don't feel comfortable with it.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I haven't read all the posts, so I apologize if I'm retreading old ground or coming from left field.

First of all, I understand your plight. I have clinical depression, and my brother reminds me of my own failures like yours does.

Second, it's too bad it has caused you to gradually give up on God (my situation was again the same), but I'm now gradually coming back to Him.

One thing you don't want to do is replace God with lies, or you may never return. So please don't get involved with Buddhism or some other false system of beliefs. If you must keep God on the back burner for now, that's better than substituting lies for Him. Then you can meet back up with Him on the other side of the problem.

Finally, I would wholeheartedly support hypnosis. I tried getting hypnosis for my depression, but none of my psychiatrists thought it would help. As I understand it, hypnosis is just a state of intense relaxation where you are more vulnerable to suggestions posed by the therapist. Nothing wrong with that, assuming your therapist is ethical.

Good luck.

Thanks, and good luck on your problems too. :)

Upvote 0

RaiseTheDead

Jul 15, 2012
✟1,035.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As far as hypnosis, buddhism, and meditation go, I'd advise staying away from it. Part of what caused the problem that I'm now struggling with for years on end started with meditation/buddhism, progressed into hypnosis

I just want to point out that while these 3 are connected in your experience, hypnosis isn't really a part of the other 2. It can very much be a stand-alone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have read quite a bit about hypnosis and it certainly can be dangerous.

If your situation is extreme then an extreme situation can call for an extreme response. For example there is no doubt that some people who were extremely over weight have been helped by hypnosis!

If you do decide to be hypnotized I recommend a great deal of prayer for protection because from what I have read our minds can be open and vulnerable while in trance.

On the other hand if somebody is severely depressed there are many cases where a hypnotherapist has been able to help them a lot by what they do?!?!?!

Upvote 0

DCJazz

Doctor Coffee
Dec 15, 2010
Idaho, USA
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I just want to point out that while these 3 are connected in your experience, hypnosis isn't really a part of the other 2. It can very much be a stand-alone.

I'm afraid that hypnosis is what opened the door to my problem. The first two were merely the wondering of what was on the other side.

All I'm going to say is stay away from it.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟732,859.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I can sympathize with you on your whole brother issue. I was always second place to my younger brother growing up, and I always felt a little less than him. People seemed to love him, and take no interest in me. I felt both angry and depressed.

However I am now past all of those feelings, and have a good relationship with my brother. For me it was not until I actually realised that God loved me and had a good plan worked out for me as well as my brother that I was able to over come the difficulties.

As for hypnosis, keep away from it. Anything that can control you, and make you some one other than your self out side of God is dangerous. You see God when asked can make you a better person, more complete emotionally and in other ways. The devil is the counterfeit of God's abilities. He will change a person in one way to only imprison them in others.

Upvote 0