WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
In a recent casual study, I stumbled across the notion of something known as "Poe's Law"; it was said to be something that originated from this site sometime back and, to my knowledge (if I'm right) refers to a parody of extremist views on certain Christian theological and political issues being mistaken for someone who actually holds such extremist views, or vice versa. I've also been studying about differing convictions among the body of Christ (not that actually having convictions is bad), and how some believers have strongly implied that having certain convictions (such as no TV, no rock music whether Christian or mainstream, reading only KJV, no alcohol, no games that include playing cards or dice, no joking, women wearing dresses only and no makeup, and so on) makes them "holier" or "more Spiritual" than other fellow believers, even to the point as deeming those who don't share such convictions as no better than heathens, perhaps even unsaved. Then, I discovered a site called Landover Baptist a few years back, which I believed to be a real church organization at first glance, but learned not too much later on that it was meant to be a parody of such extremist views, created by an atheist who had apparently been soured against the Christian faith, and further readings of postings on their forum (which I am presuming is make-believe, but I could be wrong) confirmed that it was obvious that it's a parody. I read later on that this might be labeled an example of this "Poe's Law".

I am also very familiar with the music debates in Christian theology and whether or not certain kinds of music (particularly rock or any music with a "beat") was evil. Now, I do know that there are some Christians who honestly have strong convictions against certain kinds of music, and these "rock-is-evil" debates have been going on for many, many years (and I'm sure the same was said of ragtime, swing, jazz, and "Tin Pan Alley" music in the pre-rock era). Well, sometime back I happened upon this link which targets Southern Gospel Music, which I found unbelievable when I first examined it. Now, I am left to figure out whether this is someone's real views written in a rather snarky tone, or if this could be a parody of the "rock-music-is-evil" bunch using Southern Gospel instead of rock. In other words, could this link be an example of "Poe's Law"?

http://www.blessedquietness.com/journal/housechu/sgm.htm

Anyone who wishes to do so is welcome to share their thoughts. However, I do not wish this to turn into a debate of any kind (so please try to resist the urge). :blush: It's just that this link is somewhat of a "cyberspace oddity" to me so I am merely trying to satisfy my curiosity. It's been eating away at me, and I want some relief! :confused:

Also, if all of this doesn't make sense, I explained what I'm trying to get at the best I knew how. Sometimes I don't phrase things exactly right, and that has gotten me in heaps of trouble. :doh:

Ok, it's open! :grinning:

Note to moderators: If you can think of a more suitable part of the forum this topic would fit in under, feel free to move it accordingly. I feel it to tie in with the topic of Christian ethics and theological issues and the fact that some ideas can be carried to extremes on either end of the spectrum, which sometimes leads to parodies of such ideas, so here is the place I thought would be best to post it. :)

Last edited:

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
"Shining God's Light for a Lost World."

YHWH'S LIGHT, YHWH'S WORD is
directly related to SALVATION from the Lost World.

Everything of the flesh, Everything born of the flesh, is flesh, and profits nothing.

That's about as extreme as possible, and is directly from YHWH'S WORD.
From Y'SHUA (Jesus) MESSIAH HIMSELF.

People rarely like it or accept it - the whole world rejects Y'SHUA .

The whole world rejects YHWH'S WORD, SALVATION, and TRUTH.

Just
as they did before the flood, when ONLY 8 people in the whole world were saved (NOAH and 7 with him).

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Craziness on the internet is sometimes entertaining, but with genuine followers of Jesus Christ having such a huge range of beliefs, the Holy Spirit through Scripture is the only way to know if something is crazy or not. Fortunately sometimes one can find another person to make that easier—ideally with mainstream Christian beliefs who behaves like Jesus when under pressure (missionaries)—or by whatever criteria you trust.

To get at the truth, not only do you have to try to extract any bias the writer/speaker has, you have to extract your own bias.

Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I don't agree.
Y'SHUA when HE taught HIS disciples told them exactly what the heavenly FATHER YHWH gave HIM to say.
This is still true TODAY.

HE says to seek YHWH'S KINGDOM, and keep seeking.
HE reveals what is needed, what HE is pleased to reveal.
Always TRUTH.

To get at the truth, not only do you have to try to extract any bias the writer/speaker has, you have to extract your own bias.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
WannaWitness, Steve Van Nattan is the owner of that site. Google him and you will see that he believes everything he states on it. It may sound incredible but it is not a parody.

Thanks. I did Google him; he's more common in Christian circles than what I thought. The reason I wondered is because I saw some of the articles on the site (though I didn't get to see all of it) and there were opinions presented I never heard of... such as the article involving "eating out" (like at restaurants) and how it is believed to be "abandoning hospitality at home' and, although not directly said to be a sin, seems to give implication that it is. This idea about going to a restaurant to eat being remotely sinful struck me as offbeat and not universal to those of the Christian faith; even the strictest people I know don't believe going out to eat is sinful, so long as there is money available to do so after taking care of important needs. However, this appears like it is his honest conviction, so I'm content to leave it at that, as I a want no debate.

I truly do hope this thread is not inappropriate in any way. I don't want to offend anyone, even people who actually do have these (and other) views I mentioned. So, if I have, I apologize. I fully understand that everyone is convicted differently; I simply believe that God speaks to us all as the individuals that we are, and I don't think that anyone (no matter who it is) should view themselves as more superior just because their convictions may be different.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
" Then opened HE (Y'SHUA) their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,"

John 3:27 To this John replied, "A person can receive only what is ...
biblehub.com/john/3-27.htm
John replied, "No one can receive anything unless God gives it from heaven. ... and said, "A man can receive nothing unless it has been given him from heaven. .

John 6:44 "No one can come to me unless the Father who ... - Bible Hub
biblehub.com/john/6-44.htm
No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I .... I told you that no one can come to Me unless the Father has granted it to him."

When Jesus himself is teaching you face-to-face post-Y2000, I'm sure I'll agree.
Not so sure.
Y'SHUA said EVEN IF someone comes back from the dead to tell,
they won't listen,
if they already do not listen to MOSES.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks. I did Google him; he's more common in Christian circles than what I thought. The reason I wondered is because I saw some of the articles on the site (though I didn't get to see all of it) and there were opinions presented I never heard of... such as the article involving "eating out" (like at restaurants) and how it is believed to be "abandoning hospitality at home' and, although not directly said to be a sin, seems to give implication that it is. This idea about going to a restaurant to eat being remotely sinful struck me as offbeat and not universal to those of the Christian faith; even the strictest people I know don't believe going out to eat is sinful, so long as there is money available to do so after taking care of important needs. However, this appears like it is his honest conviction, so I'm content to leave it at that, as I a want no debate.

I truly do hope this thread is not inappropriate in any way. I don't want to offend anyone, even people who actually do have these (and other) views I mentioned. So, if I have, I apologize. I fully understand that everyone is convicted differently;
You will see a wide range of beliefs between people who think that being a good Christian is successfully following a large set of rules (which may will include rules made by men) and those that see God's grace as a license to sin. Not surprisingly, both extremes are misunderstandings of God's nature. However, an accurate and good start is to treat God as the Holy Sovereign Lord of All and treat people as you want to be treated.
I simply believe that God speaks to us all as the individuals that we are, and I don't think that anyone (no matter who it is) should view themselves as more superior just because their convictions may be different.
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. (Philippians 2:3, 1984 NIV)

• Winner
Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
You will see a wide range of beliefs between people who think that being a good Christian is successfully following a large set of rules (which may will include rules made by men) and those that see God's grace as a license to sin. Not surprisingly, both extremes are misunderstandings of God's nature. However, an accurate and good start is to treat God as the Holy Sovereign Lord of All and treat people as you want to be treated.

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. (Philippians 2:3, 1984 NIV)

Exactly!

Upvote 0