2consider

Sep 2, 2015
✟11,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hell is not parallel though.
Hell only exists in the dark, where the light of God does not shine.
Turn on the Light, and the Dark is wiped out.
There is no battle or anything equal.
It's obviously a place, and it's not heaven or hell, so what is it if it's not a parallel or alternate universe?

Reactions: tatteredsoul
Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,395.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Bible clearly describes parallel or alternate universes. Surely you've heard of Heaven and Hell.

I was going to say all this technical talk about scientists describing multiverses, parallel universes and other dimensions and yet many cant except the possibility of God and the possibility of his power and dimension. When someone talks about the many possibilities of the quantum world and how particles pop in and out of existence and can be in many places at the same time. How in quantum tunneling particles which can also be waves can pass through a solid object. This reminds me of when Jesus walked through walls and how God can be in more than one place at a time. Maybe God is also the God of the quantum world and the possibilities we see in quantum world is just an insight into the power of God.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Physicists often claim that there are multiverses or parallel universes. Some claim that there are an unimaginably large number of these universes (or even an infinite number).

I'm interested in how Christians should approach the idea of other universes. The idea seems completely incompatible with Christianity.

No such thing as multiple universes.

Put it this way, you have Universe 1 over here and Universe 2 over there. What keeps them apart and how is it that uni 1, uni 2, and the dividing something that keeps them apart, are not all just all part of a single universe that turns out to be bigger than we thought?

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
stevevw said:
I was going to say all this technical talk about scientists describing multiverses, parallel universes and other dimensions and yet many cant except the possibility of God and the possibility of his power and dimension. (snip)
Maybe God is also the God of the quantum world and the possibilities we see in quantum world is just an insight into the power of God.

The same thing occurs to me, Steve. However, if God is God, then He is God of the quantum mechanics and all those esoteric science things as much as God of the blue skies and fluffy clouds and Salvation.

From my own experience, I find some Christian people firmly believe if they can't understand "it" (quantum mechanics, relativity, procession of the equinox, double entry bookkeeping, modern music or art) then God cannot have anything to do with it. The alternative and sometimes concurrent attitude is if I (or you) cannot explain it to 'them' in a way they like, it isn't real.

Mixed with this attitude is the fear if they believe anything not specifically accepted by whoever mentored them as a Christian, God will be mad at them and cancel their Salvation.

Anyone who denies God is God of Quantum Mechanics is saying God is not the God of the Universe; denying God's authority, power and sovereignty.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Inkfingers said:
I agree with you. However, as you offer no explanation, I have to ask, "WHY do you think so?"

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Physicists often claim that there are multiverses or parallel universes. Some claim that there are an unimaginably large number of these universes (or even an infinite number).

I'm interested in how Christians should approach the idea of other universes. The idea seems completely incompatible with Christianity.

Purely speculative theoretical things that we have no way of providing even circumstantial evidence of existence. And no mathematical models dont qualify as "evidence"

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
BukiRob said:
Purely speculative theoretical things that we have no way of providing even circumstantial evidence of existence.
Pretty solid argument there. A completely speculative hypothesis may be grounds for further investigation, but in order to qualify as a 'theory' in the tradition of the "scientific method", a theory must be testable and potentially 'falsifiable'.

The hypothesis (idea) of multiple universes does present ideas to be further researched, but to date conjure up NO experiments or 'tests' to falsify or uphold the theory as presented. So properly, the multiple universe idea is not really a 'theory'.

BukiRob said:
And no mathematical models dont qualify as "evidence"
I quibble with this statement. Mathematical models are 'evidence' (indications of validity) but not 'proof' (absolute convincing information).

And Rob, may I suggest you work on sentence structure and punctuation?

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It's obviously a place, and it's not heaven or hell, so what is it if it's not a parallel or alternate universe?
Hell is the single most mistranslated word in the Bible. Sadly, because of this the word Hell has taken on a life of its own (Pun intended)

The word translated as hell in the Greek (NT) are Hades, Tartarus and Gehenna in Hebrew(OT) the word translated hell is Sheol.

In Hebrew Sheol is the GRAVE. Hades is the Greek equivalent. Tartarus is found only 1 time and its referenced by Peter as the place where the fallen angels were restrained until the day of judgment. Which leaves Gehenna and it

takes its name from a valley located in Jerusalem called the Valley of Hinnom. During Jesus’s time on earth, this valley was used as the city dump. A fire was constantly kept alight there to burn up and consume all of the city’s unwanted rubbish.

What is particularly interesting is how many times these words are translated as hell. Sheol is translated as Hell 65 times in Latin Vulgate the OT but that world CLEARLY means GRAVE. Hades is translated 11 times as Hell and that also clearly means Grave.

Reactions: tatteredsoul
Upvote 0

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
When people - even physicists (unwittingly) say "universe," they are talking about dimensions, and phase transformations of dimensions.

There is one universe with infinite phase transformation dimensions.

I have heard of people thinking of hell as another dimension (bundle) - even one seemingly parallel to this dimension bundle we perceive (but out of dimensional phase in some way.) For example, in "Constantine," hell was in phase with the living dimension, except everything was on fire instead of inert (this is similar to do with how antimatter behaves with matter.)

The opening of the bottomless pit is a literal rip in the dimensions, creating an open doorway in between. That is why a key is needed to open that dimension - where the beast and fallen entities will burst through.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Incommensurable may be a better word that incompatible. The Christian theological tradition began very far removed from contemporary physics so one shouldn't be surprised of this.
There is no surprise being expressed about the difference between how atheistic physicists view the universe and how the Bible describes it. One problem with the parallel universe idea is that of all possible ramifications of an event must occur in all these universes by default. Example, there is a universe where Judas did not betray Jesus, where Jesus was not crucified, where Adam did not sin and where neither Adam nor Jesus were ever born. So, yes, that is totally incompatible with the biblical viewpoint which stipulates one all-pervasive reality within which Almighty God is supreme and has everything under his total control.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Why would you say that?

If there are infinite may parallel universes, then every person both accepts Christ and rejects Christ in alternative versions of themselves, and goes to both heaven and hell. That's all. No biggy.

Upvote 0

2consider

Sep 2, 2015
✟11,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hell is the single most mistranslated word in the Bible. Sadly, because of this the word Hell has taken on a life of its own (Pun intended)

The word translated as hell in the Greek (NT) are Hades, Tartarus and Gehenna in Hebrew(OT) the word translated hell is Sheol.

In Hebrew Sheol is the GRAVE. Hades is the Greek equivalent. Tartarus is found only 1 time and its referenced by Peter as the place where the fallen angels were restrained until the day of judgment. Which leaves Gehenna and it

takes its name from a valley located in Jerusalem called the Valley of Hinnom. During Jesus’s time on earth, this valley was used as the city dump. A fire was constantly kept alight there to burn up and consume all of the city’s unwanted rubbish.

What is particularly interesting is how many times these words are translated as hell. Sheol is translated as Hell 65 times in Latin Vulgate the OT but that world CLEARLY means GRAVE. Hades is translated 11 times as Hell and that also clearly means Grave.
Why don't we examine some of the references to Gehenna in the new testament. Are these quotes all simply figurative? Mathew has many references to hell (Gehenna.) Are the following referring to the "the valley of the sons of Hinnom" literally or figuratively.

here's one reference, Mathew 10:28

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.(Gehenna.)

Do you think that we're being warned of literally being thrown into the valley of the sons of Hinnom, or is this descriptive terminology of some other place? Gehenna in the literal translation the valley of the sons of Hinnom is not a place where your soul dies. Apparently, the reference is to some place other than the literal valley.

There are many more references to a place translated from Gehenna as hell, and they don't reference the litteral the valley of the sons of Hinnom.

Mathew and Mark both refer to Hell (Gehenna) as a place where the fire never goes out.

Be these and the other references, hell (Gehenna) is not the valley of the sons of Hinnom, nor is it an earthly place. It's not likely another planet, it's most likely different plane of existence, an alternate universe.

Upvote 0

2consider

Sep 2, 2015
✟11,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've never heard anyone suggest one of the alternate universes is Hell.
Who said that alternate universes are hell? I suggested that the places we call heaven and hell or alternate universe.

The place that God calls home, the place that obviously existed before our universe, and the places that the bible refers to as hell are alternate planes of existence. What are alternate or parallel universes? They are described as alternate planes of existence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why don't we examine some of the references to Gehenna in the new testament. Are these quotes all simply figurative? Mathew has many references to hell (Gehenna.) Are the following referring to the "the valley of the sons of Hinnom" literally or figuratively.

here's one reference, Mathew 10:28

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.(Gehenna.)

Do you think that we're being warned of literally being thrown into the valley of the sons of Hinnom, or is this descriptive terminology of some other place? Gehenna in the literal translation the valley of the sons of Hinnom is not a place where your soul dies. Apparently, the reference is to some place other than the literal valley.

There are many more references to a place translated from Gehenna as hell, and they don't reference the litteral the valley of the sons of Hinnom.

Mathew and Mark both refer to Hell (Gehenna) as a place where the fire never goes out.

Be these and the other references, hell (Gehenna) is not the valley of the sons of Hinnom, nor is it an earthly place. It's not likely another planet, it's most likely different plane of existence, an alternate universe.

To add to this:

"Tartarus" in Greek mythology referred specifically to a place that gods were imprisoned (as opposed to Hades as the place for dead human spirits). Thus, Peter's reference to Tartarus as a place for the imprisonment of fallen angels made immediate sense to his audience.

Also, knowing that Hades in Greek mythology referred to a "holding place" for the spirits of the dead is why the NT writers used Hades to refer to the grave as a concept for the pre-resurrection state of human spirits. This is opposed to Gehenna which was a place of flaming destruction.

You will see that in use and in most translations, when the original word is Hades the context is "temporary before resurrection" and when the original word is Gehenna, the context is "fiery destruction."

The consistency of these uses through the NT indicates the writers intended to convey two distinct concepts, both which real and valid.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Put it this way, you have Universe 1 over here and Universe 2 over there. What keeps them apart and how is it that uni 1, uni 2, and the dividing something that keeps them apart, are not all just all part of a single universe that turns out to be bigger than we thought?

If the "dividing something" is merely space, that would mean it should be physically possible to see it and perhaps even travel to it.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If the "dividing something" is merely space, that would mean it should be physically possible to see it and perhaps even travel to it.

My point is that there cannot be more than one universe, as for there to be more than one there would have to be a gap between them...and that gap would have to be filled with something real which interacted fully with both universe 1 and universe 2. Which would mean they were all actually 1 single universe which someone has arbitrarily called 2 different universes.

If you see what I mean. :D

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My point is that there cannot be more than one universe, as for there to be more than one there would have to be a gap between them...and that gap would have to be filled with something real which interacted fully with both universe 1 and universe 2. Which would mean they were all actually 1 single universe which someone has arbitrarily called 2 different universes.

If you see what I mean. :D

No, there need be no "gap." In fact, that's the essential point of calling it a different "universe." It would like point-for-point within the same space of this universe.

I recommend watching Flatland the Film to see the difficulty of explaining a multi-universe concept. How a man was even able to conceive this story in the 1800s is rather amazing.

And I would suggest this as a visual representation of Genesis 1:3--the moment creation transited from being a plan in the mind of God to being in a created universe.

Upvote 0