What do christians think of atheists?

undoing

Jan 30, 2010
✟15,298.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm an agnostic atheist and as such I find that there is a significant amount of negative feelings and thoughts toward me which seems to be connected to my being an atheist.
Is this purely a matter of general ignorance of what being an atheist means; or, is this purely a matter concerning the beliefs which are held??

Interesting:nono:

P

ParanoidAndroid

Whenever I try to look at another belief-set, I try to set my own Christian biases aside and look at each belief on their own terms. As such, when I see the question "what do Christians think of atheists", I automatically try and set my Christian beliefs aside and look to what atheism entails, before I make any personal judgements.

In that sense, my views of atheism is a highly valued belief (or more correctly, non-belief) system. Most atheists believe that when you die, you die and that's the end (cease to exist), and as such, I can see how many atheists might find life just a little bit more beautiful on a day-to-day point of view. Each day I live as a Christian, I see as a new dawn dedicated to God, but in the back of my mind is always the understanding that whatever happens today, I have eternity to be with God (whatever that may entail).

Atheists have a totally different mindset, and each day is unique unto itself, and without the thoughts of eternity, each day is not just unique, but to be specially savoured (not that Christians don't savour each day, but to use an analogy, imagine I was going to a great banquet - how would my view on that change if I knew that banquet was possibly my last ever, compared to believing they would never end).

I see a potential beauty in that. Knowing that there is an end can be very comforting, and puts an even greater beauty into the life we live each day.

This is my view of "atheism". However, the question was asked about how Christians view "atheists" (those who hold to atheism). In this respect, I have no further comments - I don't make generalisations. I have met lovely atheists, and I have met bitter atheists (just as I have met lovely Christians, and I have met bitter Christians). Atheists are no more or less human than anyone else, and many are lovely people, with a lot to offer society. So I will not generalise how I view "atheists", but simply share what I feel about "atheism".

Best wishes,

~ Regards, PA

Reactions: Wedjat
Upvote 0

AlAyeti

Just a guy
Jan 14, 2010
✟16,354.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm an agnostic atheist and as such I find that there is a significant amount of negative feelings and thoughts toward me which seems to be connected to my being an atheist.

There are lots of reasons to dislike atheists. Believing in atheism is not one of them.

Is this purely a matter of general ignorance of what being an atheist means; or, is this purely a matter concerning the beliefs which are held??

Who's ignorant of what being an atheist means?

I love beer commercials during the Super Bowl.

And wouldn't an agnostic atheist be someone that is not sure that atheism exists?:doh::confused:

Upvote 0
P

ParanoidAndroid

And wouldn't an agnostic atheist be someone that is not sure that atheism exists?:doh::confused:
I cannot speak for the OP, but I took this in the sense of what we label as "Strong Atheism" and "Weak Atheism" (and by extension, "Strong Theism" and "Weak Theism").

The agnostic atheist would fall in the category of the "weak atheist". That is to say, they take the position that they do not believe a god exists on the basis that there is no empirical evidence that such a being exists. A "Strong Atheist" is much more militant (consider Richard Dawkins, for example). They go a step further and state that "God does not, and cannot, exist".

Do you see the difference - while the conclusions are the same, the "Strong Atheist" has closed themselves off to the possibility of God, while the "Weak Atheist" simply looks for empirical evidence.

Upvote 0

Neo2

Jan 28, 2010
✟7,715.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For about fifteen years I considered myself an atheist. I have no problem with atheism. As I see it atheism is just another way of understanding the world. Ultimately it didn't work for me - but if it works for another then good luck to them.

As I see it God and reality are one and the same, I imagine atheists see the same reality as I do. We just understand it differently.

Upvote 0

Coralie

but behold, there cometh one after me
Sep 29, 2009
✟17,357.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Interesting:nono:

I think of some atheists as undereducated Da-Vinci-Code-lovers. And others as highly-educated people with well-informed points of view.

Some are annoying personality-wise, and others are the loveliest people I know.

I used to be an atheist, so I'm not ignorant of what being an atheist means; and I don't judge anyone for their beliefs. After all, they're responsible for their own beliefs.

If people dislike you for being an atheist, maybe you should stop talking about your beliefs so readily, or change the way you approach people with them? Evangelical atheism can be really repellent, whether the person you're talking to is religious or not.

(Please note: I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just trying to answer the question--although TBH I'm not sure whether you meant your OP as an attack on non-atheists, or a genuine expression of bemusement. Either way, be blessed.)

Upvote 0

I-can-see

Jan 12, 2010
Atlanta
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I personally like atheists, they strengthen the faith of those firmly rooted. They are a good test to the church. They are also, for the most part, intelligent people. So speaking with them is always a learning experience, on certain subjects. They provide a challenge that is not too difficult to overcome, yet not too easy as well. I say bring on the atheist! :)

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I don't judge people on what they do or do not believe, but how they present themselves and their beliefs. Most atheists are very thoughtful, thought provoking people who are great to talk with on a wide variety of subjects. Some are, unfortunately, at the other end of the scale. They judge people of faith to be stupid, childish or fools and may be quite strident about making such views known. I tend to stay away from these as I do Christians who spout a "my way or the highway" view of other Christians. How I deal with an individual has a lot to do with how they wish to deal with me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlAyeti

Just a guy
Jan 14, 2010
✟16,354.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I cannot speak for the OP, but I took this in the sense of what we label as "Strong Atheism" and "Weak Atheism" (and by extension, "Strong Theism" and "Weak Theism").

The agnostic atheist would fall in the category of the "weak atheist". That is to say, they take the position that they do not believe a god exists on the basis that there is no empirical evidence that such a being exists. A "Strong Atheist" is much more militant (consider Richard Dawkins, for example). They go a step further and state that "God does not, and cannot, exist".

Do you see the difference - while the conclusions are the same, the "Strong Atheist" has closed themselves off to the possibility of God, while the "Weak Atheist" simply looks for empirical evidence.

Well thank you.

Upvote 0

Apollo Celestio

Deal with it.
Jul 11, 2007
Ohio
✟36,579.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Atheists are just like me. People whom God loves and who he sent his son for. That sounds very "need2convertunow" ish, but it's the default for all humans. As far as their views go, I don't agree. The varying attitudes of atheists need to be presented before I can comment further.

Upvote 0

AlAyeti

Just a guy
Jan 14, 2010
✟16,354.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Atheists are just like me. People whom God loves and who he sent his son for. That sounds very "need2convertunow" ish, but it's the default for all humans. As far as their views go, I don't agree. The varying attitudes of atheists need to be presented before I can comment further.

How about those "There is no God" in your face trying to convert YOU Atheists? How do you reach them for Christ?

Upvote 0

Jnwaco

Jan 26, 2010
✟9,303.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I enjoy talking to atheists. They're really good for forcing you to consider tough questions about Christianity that need to be answered. Some can get under your skin when they mix too much ridicule in with their arguments, but that's about it. I suppose I don't have a problem at all with atheists, it's the philosophy I disagree with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

undoing

Jan 30, 2010
✟15,298.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If people dislike you for being an atheist, maybe you should stop talking about your beliefs so readily, or change the way you approach people with them? Evangelical atheism can be really repellent, whether the person you're talking to is religious or not.

(Please note: I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just trying to answer the question--although TBH I'm not sure whether you meant your OP as an attack on non-atheists, or a genuine expression of bemusement. Either way, be blessed.)
Thankyou Coralie, simply stating non-belief and being unpersueded in conversation can become very heated. It can create bitterness in the "follower" when trying to discuss (or avoid at times :p) individual reasoning; sometimes it seems more like a conversation about reasoning ability/or of finding reasons to prove I'm not worth talking to.
Normal conversation seems to evaporate at times.

I personally like atheists, they strengthen the faith of those firmly rooted. They are a good test to the church. They are also, for the most part, intelligent people. So speaking with them is always a learning experience, on certain subjects. They provide a challenge that is not too difficult to overcome, yet not too easy as well. I say bring on the atheist! :)
I wouldn't say atheism has any motivation against the church/religion/beliefs what so ever. In fact I should imagine that any skepticism I've ever experienced is much the same as any you would experience (if you're a questioning believer).

How I deal with an individual has a lot to do with how they wish to deal with me.
I'm fairly agreeable with you Celticflower. You mentioned the 'my way or the high way' approach (which I cut out while shortening quotes). I've experienced this very much from ppl who were meant to be family but couldn't move on from the point that I'm a non-believer. The relationship was eventually terminated. It was a traumatic time filled with a lot of idiotic name calling and back bitting. I thought a lot about the release of death. Just because I'm atheist doesn't mean that I'm for all the things you believe are abhorrent! (speaking in the 3rd person).

How about those "There is no God" in your face trying to convert YOU Atheists? How do you reach them for Christ?
Firstly, it might help if stopped pursuing the conversion and begin with getting to know them as an individual. That statement is an expression of a point of view, but it also says 'I can push my opinion on you aswell', also this shows that you're not interested in the other person because you haven't adjusted the conversation to meet the op's needs.

I enjoy talking to atheists. They're really good for forcing you to consider tough questions about Christianity that need to be answered. Some can get under your skin when they mix too much ridicule in with their arguments, but that's about it. I suppose I don't have a problem at all with atheists, it's the philosophy I disagree with.
Atheism is a lack of/no belief in god.
Philosophy is a subject concerning all sorts of things to do with life, existence of everything, and their meanings.
If someone's take on life is different to yours it doesn't need to become a stereotype of all 'of them'.

I'd quoted more replies which weren't carried over when I moved pages. I'm going to post replies to those now. Thanks all for your replies.

Upvote 0

undoing

Jan 30, 2010
✟15,298.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Thankyou to PA and Neo2 for your replies to the questions raised by AlAyeti, they were insightful and agreeable.
To further another point raised by AlAyeti though, about agnosticism meaning denying any knowledge of anything is not correct. The actual term used I believe is theological noncognitivism, or atheistic noncognitivism in the circumstances you mention. I can't post the link but you can find it on wikipedia.

Kind regards to you all.

Upvote 0

undoing

Jan 30, 2010
✟15,298.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Whenever I try to look at another belief-set, I try to set my own Christian biases aside and look at each belief on their own terms. As such, when I see the question "what do Christians think of atheists", I automatically try and set my Christian beliefs aside and look to what atheism entails, before I make any personal judgements.

In that sense, my views of atheism is a highly valued belief (or more correctly, non-belief) system. Most atheists believe that when you die, you die and that's the end (cease to exist), and as such, I can see how many atheists might find life just a little bit more beautiful on a day-to-day point of view. Each day I live as a Christian, I see as a new dawn dedicated to God, but in the back of my mind is always the understanding that whatever happens today, I have eternity to be with God (whatever that may entail).

Atheists have a totally different mindset, and each day is unique unto itself, and without the thoughts of eternity, each day is not just unique, but to be specially savoured (not that Christians don't savour each day, but to use an analogy, imagine I was going to a great banquet - how would my view on that change if I knew that banquet was possibly my last ever, compared to believing they would never end).

I see a potential beauty in that. Knowing that there is an end can be very comforting, and puts an even greater beauty into the life we live each day.

This is my view of "atheism". However, the question was asked about how Christians view "atheists" (those who hold to atheism). In this respect, I have no further comments - I don't make generalisations. I have met lovely atheists, and I have met bitter atheists (just as I have met lovely Christians, and I have met bitter Christians). Atheists are no more or less human than anyone else, and many are lovely people, with a lot to offer society. So I will not generalise how I view "atheists", but simply share what I feel about "atheism".

Best wishes,

~ Regards, PA
Thankyou ParanoidAndroid, personally, I do think about eternity just maybe not in the same sense that you might. Atheism really has no perspective that's unique except for holding that there is a lack of belief in god. That's the definition.
From this point an atheist adopt any attitude, value, or interest in life; from my perspective this means that I only live by state law, and then sometimes I don't. After all, I am only human ;)

without faith you are not living, you are merely existing
I'd have to disagree. I've been sky diving, ride a motorcycle, walk my dog, write, read, post my concerns on a most friendly christian forum and I also have a social life.
Existing, to me, means only meeting bodily needs for functioning. eating, sleeping, going to the toilet, without interacting with others, or the environment - ever. This couldn't happen, other's will still be there, and there's plenty to sense from the outside would that would give you something to think about. So in this sense, I think only inanimate objects do not live.

Perhaps the biggest disbelief is among believers. Someone who doesnt believe in a God may not be as far away from God as someone who says they believe in God but at the same time deny who He really is.

I enjoy discssions with atheists, they tell me they dont believe in God, they dont tell me the God I beleve in, isnt who He is.
I never really thought of the problems faced between different denominations like that before - thankyou.
For about fifteen years I considered myself an atheist. I have no problem with atheism. As I see it atheism is just another way of understanding the world. Ultimately it didn't work for me - but if it works for another then good luck to them.

As I see it God and reality are one and the same, I imagine atheists see the same reality as I do. We just understand it differently.
That perspective is very agreeable in theory, but when it comes to the world there can be too many arguments, especially over science, biology and history and that's before theology becomes the point of focus.

I hate how the conversation always ends up here, maybe I belong in the science community where arguments are normal but feelings aren't hurt so much.

Upvote 0

one11

Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
✟9,395.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'd pretty much agree with what CelticFlower said.

However, in real life, I've only got to know one no, ifs and or buts atheist and he let me know it -- that religion and God were off topic as he was convinced there was no God. So we never talked about it again, and remained good and kind neighbors. Nothing unusual about that at all. But then he died very suddenly and young and I wonder about him sometimes. Where he is? What happened after he died? It makes me sad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ashout

As Tall as Goliath and as fearsome too!
Oct 27, 2009
Home
✟10,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't like athiests, becuase they don't wear deoderant. No I'm only kidding, I think atheists are blind, headed for disaster, doomed, often nice, pleasent, moral, often immoral, unpleasent, all of them flawed, and none of them love God.

Upvote 0