What do Christians believe about Genesis?

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Is the entire chapter of Genesis fiction or a historical event? I ask this because I've heard from multiple people on here that you shouldn't read Genesis literally as if Adam and Eve actually existed.

I've been through 10 years in a private Christian school and not once has any of my teachers ever mentioned that Genesis was not a true story. The same goes with the flood story. Are any of these stories supposed to be taken literally?

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Is the entire chapter of Genesis fiction or a historical event? I ask this because I've heard from multiple people on here that you shouldn't read Genesis literally as if Adam and Eve actually existed.

I've been through 10 years in a private Christian school and not once has any of my teachers ever mentioned that Genesis was not a true story. The same goes with the flood story. Are any of these stories supposed to be taken literally?

Something that's important to understand is that the books of the Bible aren't "chapters", they are distinct books. The same as if you go to your local library and see individual books on the shelves. The Bible isn't a book, it's a library of books.

Secondly, Genesis is a collection of stories, the stories share a basic theme of "the beginning", but there is no single "story" of Genesis. There's the story of creation in Genesis ch. 1, there's another story of creation in Genesis 2 that introduces Adam and Eve, there's another story of Noah, and so on and so forth.

The essential question to be asking when reading any particular biblical text is, "What was the author trying to communicate?" That's going to have us look to see what kind of literature any particular portion of Scripture, the book as a whole, or even the smaller parts of a book. That is, what is the literary genre? Because obviously there's a difference between The Hobbit, The Complete Poetical Works of John Keats, The Life and Times of Frederick Douglas, and Clifford the Big Red Dog. If we aren't able to differentiate between these different sorts of literature, then we're going to be in some serious trouble.

The Bible is filled with different sorts of literature, with many different authors writing from many different perspectives with many different purposes. If we are going to understand what any given text means we have to actually concern ourselves with what the author was wanting to say, and look at how they are saying it.

So what is Genesis?

Genesis is, as noted, a collection of stories with a theme of "beginnings". This is important because Genesis functions as the prologue to the events of the Exodus. Genesis provides the narrative soil out from which the story of Moses and the deliverance of the Israelites out from Egypt is told, this is the central story of identity for Israel. Israel's religious and national identity was that of the covenant people whom God delivered from bondage in Egypt and brought to the land of promise. That is who they were, it was their relationship with God, one another, and the land. Genesis provides a prologue, telling the stories of creation, the stories of mankind, the stories of Israel's ancient patriarchs--Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

Secondly Genesis is part of the five books known as the Torah, the central text of instruction for Israel. The Torah contains the mitzvot or instructions that guide every Jewish person's life. The Torah covers everything from how to plant crops to what offerings to give and when, and what is and is not to be eaten. To this very day the Torah is the center of the Jewish religion and defines them as a people and a religion.

With this understood then we can begin to examine Genesis itself. So how does Genesis 1 read? Well it reads like poetry for one, there is a rhythm in the days of creation, there is parallelism between the first three days and the second three days. So what we see in the first chapter of Genesis is that at the initial act of creation there already exists this abyssal ocean, the primordial sea, but God exists prior to it and above it. In other creation myths of the ancient near east the primordial abyss has a name, Tiamut, the mother of the gods. In Genesis this abyss has no name, and God exists above and before it. And where in other creation stories the world is brought into existence from the chaotic battles of the gods birthed by Tiamut, instead in Genesis 1 God deliberately calls into being the heavens and the earth.

On the first day God separates light and darkness, day and night; on the second day God separates the waters, the waters above (the firmament, a concept in ancient bronze age cosmology that a dome of water was above the earth) and the waters below; and on the third day God separates the dry land from the waters below.

Those are the first three days, the second three days are a parallel. The first three days was the creation of "spaces" or domains within creation, the second will fill them. On the fourth day God creates the sun, moon, and the stars to "rule" the day and night; on the fifth day God creates the birds to rule the sky and the fish to rule the seas; on the sixth day God creates the beasts, the things that crawl, to rule the land. And the final creative act is to create mankind in His own image to rule over it all.

This act of creating a divine image is interesting because in temple building in the ancient world the final act, after the temple structure itself had been built and furnished, was to place the image of the god itself. Here God has created the heavens and the earth, all of creation is to be God's Temple, and the final act is to place His image--mankind. This idea of "divine image" here describes man's purpose within creation, he is to be that which reflects God to the rest of creation, and to in turn offer the praises and glories of all creation back to God. Man is both the image of God in creation and the caretaker--the priest--that tends to the things of the temple.

When the text says that God rested on the seventh day, we are not to suppose that God got tired and needed a day off, but rather that God had--as the text says--looked upon all of His creation and saw that it was "exceedingly good" and thus now, on the seventh day, God can "sit down" as it were, to enjoy His creation and--if we might also think of it--set about the task of operating upon and through it. The office is complete, and the Boss can sit down and begin operations.

The second creation story, which begins after the first story ends (Genesis 2:4). It's a completely different story. Here God creates man first, when there was yet no vegetation or green thing, after creating the first man, Adam, God plants a garden for Adam to tend. God creates all the beasts and animals to give Adam a partner, but in the end God creates Eve from Adam's rib, thus man and woman. It's a completely different creation story.

And so on and so forth we can go through Genesis.

And consistently the question is, "What is the author trying to say?" Is the author trying to offer dry journalistic reporting? X happened to person Y which caused Z? Or is something else happening that might be far more interesting. Perhaps there's a reason why the author of Genesis 1 describes the primordial sea the way they do, maybe the days of creation aren't meant to describe a raw set of events that took place over a course of a week, but provide a framework of order by which to look a bit deeper. Maybe the ancients weren't idiots who put two conflicting creation stories side-by-side, but understood both stories to have their own distinct and complimentary significance that is lost if one tries to read them too woodenly, too literally.

And does that mean nothing in Genesis is historical? No. Does that mean nothing in the Bible at all is historical? Again, no--remember the comparison made to one's public library, and the existence of The Hobbit, the Life and Times of Frederick Douglas, etc. We understand that each literary work is its own work, and we examine it on its own merits by its own standards, not by our own standards forced upon it because we want it to be something it's not.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Some can mean something else, i.e. 7 day creation, since there is no day (Sun/earth), it can mean 7 steps or literal 7 days.

I think Adam/Eve actually existed, so is the flood (all ancient civilizations have legends of flood in one form or the other).

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

Yhvh the Creator spoke, and created everything thus, through Yahushua, just as it is written.
Yhvh the Creator spoke the order of things He did, and passed it on through His chosen ones. of course, mankind messed up. they departed from Him.

Yhvh is Perfect. He didn't change. He is still the one and only Creator. mankind is still evil. that's that.

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Something that's important to understand is that the books of the Bible aren't "chapters", they are distinct books. The same as if you go to your local library and see individual books on the shelves. The Bible isn't a book, it's a library of books.

Secondly, Genesis is a collection of stories, the stories share a basic theme of "the beginning", but there is no single "story" of Genesis. There's the story of creation in Genesis ch. 1, there's another story of creation in Genesis 2 that introduces Adam and Eve, there's another story of Noah, and so on and so forth.

The essential question to be asking when reading any particular biblical text is, "What was the author trying to communicate?" That's going to have us look to see what kind of literature any particular portion of Scripture, the book as a whole, or even the smaller parts of a book. That is, what is the literary genre? Because obviously there's a difference between The Hobbit, The Complete Poetical Works of John Keats, The Life and Times of Frederick Douglas, and Clifford the Big Red Dog. If we aren't able to differentiate between these different sorts of literature, then we're going to be in some serious trouble.

The Bible is filled with different sorts of literature, with many different authors writing from many different perspectives with many different purposes. If we are going to understand what any given text means we have to actually concern ourselves with what the author was wanting to say, and look at how they are saying it.

So what is Genesis?

Genesis is, as noted, a collection of stories with a theme of "beginnings". This is important because Genesis functions as the prologue to the events of the Exodus. Genesis provides the narrative soil out from which the story of Moses and the deliverance of the Israelites out from Egypt is told, this is the central story of identity for Israel. Israel's religious and national identity was that of the covenant people whom God delivered from bondage in Egypt and brought to the land of promise. That is who they were, it was their relationship with God, one another, and the land. Genesis provides a prologue, telling the stories of creation, the stories of mankind, the stories of Israel's ancient patriarchs--Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

Secondly Genesis is part of the five books known as the Torah, the central text of instruction for Israel. The Torah contains the mitzvot or instructions that guide every Jewish person's life. The Torah covers everything from how to plant crops to what offerings to give and when, and what is and is not to be eaten. To this very day the Torah is the center of the Jewish religion and defines them as a people and a religion.

With this understood then we can begin to examine Genesis itself. So how does Genesis 1 read? Well it reads like poetry for one, there is a rhythm in the days of creation, there is parallelism between the first three days and the second three days. So what we see in the first chapter of Genesis is that at the initial act of creation there already exists this abyssal ocean, the primordial sea, but God exists prior to it and above it. In other creation myths of the ancient near east the primordial abyss has a name, Tiamut, the mother of the gods. In Genesis this abyss has no name, and God exists above and before it. And where in other creation stories the world is brought into existence from the chaotic battles of the gods birthed by Tiamut, instead in Genesis 1 God deliberately calls into being the heavens and the earth.

On the first day God separates light and darkness, day and night; on the second day God separates the waters, the waters above (the firmament, a concept in ancient bronze age cosmology that a dome of water was above the earth) and the waters below; and on the third day God separates the dry land from the waters below.

Those are the first three days, the second three days are a parallel. The first three days was the creation of "spaces" or domains within creation, the second will fill them. On the fourth day God creates the sun, moon, and the stars to "rule" the day and night; on the fifth day God creates the birds to rule the sky and the fish to rule the seas; on the sixth day God creates the beasts, the things that crawl, to rule the land. And the final creative act is to create mankind in His own image to rule over it all.

This act of creating a divine image is interesting because in temple building in the ancient world the final act, after the temple structure itself had been built and furnished, was to place the image of the god itself. Here God has created the heavens and the earth, all of creation is to be God's Temple, and the final act is to place His image--mankind. This idea of "divine image" here describes man's purpose within creation, he is to be that which reflects God to the rest of creation, and to in turn offer the praises and glories of all creation back to God. Man is both the image of God in creation and the caretaker--the priest--that tends to the things of the temple.

When the text says that God rested on the seventh day, we are not to suppose that God got tired and needed a day off, but rather that God had--as the text says--looked upon all of His creation and saw that it was "exceedingly good" and thus now, on the seventh day, God can "sit down" as it were, to enjoy His creation and--if we might also think of it--set about the task of operating upon and through it. The office is complete, and the Boss can sit down and begin operations.

The second creation story, which begins after the first story ends (Genesis 2:4). It's a completely different story. Here God creates man first, when there was yet no vegetation or green thing, after creating the first man, Adam, God plants a garden for Adam to tend. God creates all the beasts and animals to give Adam a partner, but in the end God creates Eve from Adam's rib, thus man and woman. It's a completely different creation story.

And so on and so forth we can go through Genesis.

And consistently the question is, "What is the author trying to say?" Is the author trying to offer dry journalistic reporting? X happened to person Y which caused Z? Or is something else happening that might be far more interesting. Perhaps there's a reason why the author of Genesis 1 describes the primordial sea the way they do, maybe the days of creation aren't meant to describe a raw set of events that took place over a course of a week, but provide a framework of order by which to look a bit deeper. Maybe the ancients weren't idiots who put two conflicting creation stories side-by-side, but understood both stories to have their own distinct and complimentary significance that is lost if one tries to read them too woodenly, too literally.

And does that mean nothing in Genesis is historical? No. Does that mean nothing in the Bible at all is historical? Again, no--remember the comparison made to one's public library, and the existence of The Hobbit, the Life and Times of Frederick Douglas, etc. We understand that each literary work is its own work, and we examine it on its own merits by its own standards, not by our own standards forced upon it because we want it to be something it's not.

-CryptoLutheran

I looked at your answer, then looked back at my question, then read your answer again, then looked back at my question even more confused than before. I didn't ask how books of the Bible are to be read, or for you to recite the entire book of Genesis back to me. I simply would like a straightforward answer. Is what Genesis has to say a true story? Were Adam and Eve really the first two humans to exist?

Your answer had a few maybes in it. If you don't know the answer, then just say you don't. Thanks.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The problem here is that your 'private' Christian school likely has its own theological orientation and will only distribute answers that are in line with its policies. Thus, you didn't get introduced to alternative Christian viewpoints.

Yes, there are other Christians--those who incorporate the scholarship of historical criticism as applied to the biblical texts--who do not interpret the first few chapters of Genesis as ultra-literal, historical accounts. One such example is Conrad Hyers. Another is Denis O. Lamoureux. Yet another is Kenton L. Sparks. I could name others.

Peace,

2PhiloVoid

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I looked at your answer, then looked back at my question, then read your answer again, then looked back at my question even more confused than before. I didn't ask how books of the Bible are to be read, or for you to recite the entire book of Genesis back to me. I simply would like a straightforward answer. Is what Genesis has to say a true story? Were Adam and Eve really the first two humans to exist?

Your answer had a few maybes in it. If you don't know the answer, then just say you don't. Thanks.
Your question strongly implies doubt. Hebrews 11 repeatedly gives the key to understanding the Old Testament as being 'by faith', 'by faith', ... . It seems I probably can't help you.

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

You can choose to believe it or not we accept things by faith and the bible is meant to be understood not only in the natural but also in the spiritual. Spiritual understand s spiritual but those who are in the flesh will never understand or believe. The bible has many layers to it which is why you can reread something you have reada thopusand times and all of a sudden recieve fresh revelation about that scripture

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Different Christians believe different things. It is not particularly surprising that a Christian school in America would teaching the literal truth of Genesis 1-10. On the other hand, I can practically guarantee that it wouldn't have been a Catholic school.

Upvote 0

Dragons87

The regal Oriental kind; not evil princess-napper
Nov 13, 2005
London, UK
✟4,572.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
As a person with an interest in history, archaeology and criminal law, given the evidence currently available with regard to the origins of the universe, I don't think it is possible to read the creation accounts in Genesis 1 and 2 as history.

To prove the truth of a statement you need evidence. Supporters of the statement "God created the world in six 24-hour cycles" may cite Genesis 1 and 2 as evidence in support. However, apart from that, there seems to be very little other corroborating evidence in support. In court, it would be as good as convicting someone for a crime on nothing more than a statement from a witness who was definitely not there when the crime occurred.

On the other hand, there seems to be wide scholarship based on observable phenomena that supports the statement, "The universe was not created in six 24-hour cycles". I think that pretty much seals the case for me.

God is not just God of the Bible - He is God of the physical, observable world around us. If I choose to disbelieve evidence from the God-created physical, observable world in favour of two short and anonymously written accounts that do not propose to be writing a historical account of how the universe was actually created, I feel that I am denying what God actually did, in favour of what I believe He might have done but have no way of saying for sure.

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
So if Genesis is not a true story, why is the author manipulating his audience and other biblical authors into believing God did something he didn't do? Why are so many people already being deceived right as they read the first chapter of the Bible? What gives the author the right to come up with false stories where he controls what God says and what God does? Why is this book even allowed to be a part of the Bible?

And if Genesis is not supposed to be read as truth, what is to make of these other verses in other chapters that rely on Genesis' testimony?

Luke 3:38 - the son of Enosh, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God.

Luke, why are you adding onto a familial line that never existed?

Romans 5:14 - Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who is a pattern of the one to come.

Silly Paul...there was no time of Adam. Why are you so confused?

1 Timothy 2:13 - For Adam was formed first, then Eve.

Paul, I thought you would know this considering you are a biblical author. Adam and Eve never existed...

Jude 1:14 - Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about them: “See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones

No James. There was no seventh of Adam. In fact, there was no Adam. Why are you quoting someone who never existed?

And the list continues...

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So if Genesis is not a true story, why is the author manipulating his audience and other biblical authors into believing God did something he didn't do? Why are so many people already being deceived right as they read the first chapter of the Bible? What gives the author the right to come up with false stories where he controls what God says and what God does? Why is this book even allowed to be a part of the Bible?

And if Genesis is not supposed to be read as truth, what is to make of these other verses in other chapters that rely on Genesis' testimony?

Romans 5:14 - Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who is a pattern of the one to come.

Paul, I thought you would know this considering you are a biblical author. Adam and Eve never existed...

Jude 1:14 - Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about them: “See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones

No James. There was no seventh of Adam. In fact, there was no Adam. Why are you quoting someone who never existed?

This is a great example that the biblical authors did believe it that way. What this does is highlights an evolution of thought. I see there is potentially two reasons for this. Perhaps the biblical authors had information that we don't have, which gave them reason to believe the accounts seriously. And, perhaps the biblical authors did not have information which we do, which gives us the ability to believe the accounts should not be taken seriously.

So, to settle this question (ie, to know if modern beliefs are right or wrong compared to the beliefs of those you have quoted), we must find out where the information came from in the first place. If the Genesis stories were invented, then we should not read them seriously. But, if they were handed down through generations from eye-witness accounts, then we should read them rather seriously.

At this time I don't have information one way or the other, so I choose to entertain both views as appropriate. It is possible the authors in the bible viewed it the same way.

Upvote 0

Dragons87

Nov 13, 2005
London, UK
✟4,572.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

A very interesting question, which many scholars far more qualified than me have spent a great deal of time discussing. I'm going to cop out and direct you to Wikipedia: Book of Genesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My opinion is that Genesis should not be read as factual; it may be read as "truth". In my mind there can be a fine distinction between the two (or maybe I'm just clutching at straws, haha!)

To me, a fact describes something that has happened, while a truth explains most satisfactorily a set of hypotheses or factual assertions.

Admittedly that's a really simplistic and personal view, and philosophers have debated the issue at great length. Again, I think maybe reading stuff from Wikipedia may help. Look up the articles for "fact" and "truth".

Anyway, according to my view, even though Adam the actual person most likely did not ever walk the face of the earth (i.e. not factual), the story of Adam (which simply means "man" in Hebrew), I think, explains correctly what is wrong with humans in general (i.e. truthful), and thus pave the way to explain why Jesus is necessary for all humans.

I therefore interpret the following verses in this way:

Personally, I think it was a rhetorical device to prove that Jesus was fully human. Whether factually or truthfully at the time Luke would have believed that all humans descended from Adam (Man). So in essence Jesus was like us - fully human too.

I think Paul did believe that Adam existed factually, but given he had no other theories going at the time I don't think it was an unreasonable belief to hold. Given that we now have more information than Paul did regards the likelihood of factual Adam, if we disregard Paul's belief in factual Adam, does the message in Romans 5 still stand?

I personally believe so. The point of his chapter is to explain to his audience in Rome just how amazing Jesus' resurrection is, in a nice, neat way that his audience would be wowed. Even if we discount Paul's belief in factual Adam, his point still stands: Jesus' grace is good as ever, even if not explainable in the terms Paul used in Romans 5.

To that extent, perhaps Paul was "silly", in modern eyes, in picking his method of explanation, but his explanation still stands: each and every one of us is a sinner, and Jesus' resurrection rescued us all.

Yes, I think this is a bit silly. But one must remember that when Paul was writing this letter it was meant only to be private instructions to Timothy regarding conduct in one church in Turkey; Paul probably never imagined in a million years that it would be incorporated into authoritative canon 200 years later and serve as the authoritative basis for the general oppression of women everywhere. That, I think, is the fault of those who came after Paul, not him.

The beginning of Jude contains his reason for penning this letter: he is worried that some people are getting the wrong ideas about Christianity. Apart from this quote from Enoch he cites a number of other happenings in Genesis and Exodus.

Again, I propose that even if we assume that none of those things happened factually, they are, I think, truthful to the extent that it explains how God deals with (or will deal with) those who turn the grace of God into a licence for immorality.

I cannot stress more the importance I attach to reading the Bible in its context, taking into account who wrote it, the era he wrote it in, to whom he was writing and why. Bear in mind that, at least for the New Testament, none of the authors thought that their writings would eventually become authoritative canon. How you write changes dramatically depending on what you are writing for.

Resist the temptation of cherry-picking verses and building an argument out of any one verse (verses and chapters were invented in the middle ages to make referencing easier). Instead, read the whole letter, or at least chapter.

Hopefully this was helpful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Jesus told parables, an example being that of the Good Samaritan. I would hardly call these stories "not true". I would say they are very much true.

A story does not need to be a wooden recounting of literal events in order for it to be true. The truth of Jesus' parables makes these stories true, though they are not literal, historical accounts.

Likewise all the stories in Genesis are true. But not all the stories in Genesis are literalistic historical accounts.

The idea that the only valuable truth a story can have is a wooden, journalistic sort of truth is a pretty modern idea, one not shared by the vast majority of people in cultures throughout history.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Dragons87

Nov 13, 2005
London, UK
✟4,572.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So if we can't rely on Genesis for factual information, how do we explain why people are born separated from God since the Adam/Eve story is not true?

I don't believe that we are born separated from God. That should cover it.

Upvote 0

Dragons87

Nov 13, 2005
London, UK
✟4,572.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So why do I need to reconcile a relationship with God?

Because a person becomes separated from God, when he/she starts making choices. What choices can a babe make that can separate it from God?

Upvote 0