What do Baptists believe about speaking in tongues?

Osage Bluestem

Galatians 5:1
Dec 27, 2010
Texas
Visit site
✟11,711.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow! Some of the guys in here seem awfully touchy! Sorry I even looked in here.

It's because tongues and stuff aren't welcome in Baptist churches because we don't believe they are real so we try to send those who insist on doing that kind of thing to a pentacostal church down the street so they don't cause division in our church.

Upvote 0

ByronArn

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jul 28, 2011
Ohio, USA
Visit site
✟11,502.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Personally, I speak in tongues on occasion in my personal prayer life. But I don't do it in public, nor at church. For me, its my personal prayer language. I have heard of quite a few Baptists who do the same.

I have heard of a few "Bapticostal" churches, but never been to one. Probably wouldn't like it. As I said before, tongues is an extremely personal thing for me. Not a very often one either. Only "as the Spirit gives utterance."

Upvote 0

His_disciple3

Nov 22, 2010
as close to Jesus as I can be
✟17,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's because tongues and stuff aren't welcome in Baptist churches because we don't believe they are real so we try to send those who insist on doing that kind of thing to a pentacostal church down the street so they don't cause division in our church.
Sir, once again I think you have over steps your bounds of authority, you can not speak for all Baptist churches. I know of and am part of a Baptist Church that encourages people to pray in their prayer languages! and we are not alone, I talked with another baptist preacher, He said that the missionaries from their assc. where receiving the Spiritual gifts out on the mission fields, and were excited about it, and writing home telling the assc. about it, and the assc, were pulling them off the mission fields, talk about quenching the Spirit!

Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Personally, I speak in tongues on occasion in my personal prayer life. But I don't do it in public, nor at church. For me, its my personal prayer language. I have heard of quite a few Baptists who do the same.

I have heard of a few "Bapticostal" churches, but never been to one. Probably wouldn't like it. As I said before, tongues is an extremely personal thing for me. Not a very often one either. Only "as the Spirit gives utterance."

That's where I am with it. A lot of times, my prayer closet is my car, as I drive a lot for some of the work I do. Since I wear a bluetooth headset a lot, I imagine most people seeing my lips move when I'm driving just assume that I'm talking to someone on the phone. I'm talking to someone alright, just not on the phone.... ;) Sometimes with my understanding, sometimes in the Spirit.

Reactions: Sophia7
Upvote 0

nobdysfool

Feb 23, 2003
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I have to say, some of the most interesting church experiences I've had have been in Black Baptist churches. Those people know how to worship! And they know how to preach! I love my Black brothers and sisters in the Lord!

Upvote 0

greatdivide46

Nov 7, 2011
Alabama
✟9,561.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have to say, some of the most interesting church experiences I've had have been in Black Baptist churches. Those people know how to worship! And they know how to preach! I love my Black brothers and sisters in the Lord!
Where did we ever get the idea that worship has to be loud, boisterous, and uncontrolled in order to be true worship? I attend a baptist church the encourages people to come to the front of the church to pray. I don't suppose there's anything wrong with that, but they look down on those of us who feel like we can pray just as effectively remaining in our pews. I don't mind people going to the front to pray, but that's not for me. For me that would be calling attention to myself and not focusing on God. So, go ahead and have loud, boisterous and uncontrolled worship if you want, but please don't think that those of us who worship quietly and in a controlled way are somehow worshipping less sincerely or not worshipping at all.

Upvote 0

phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Where did we ever get the idea that worship has to be loud, boisterous, and uncontrolled in order to be true worship? I attend a baptist church the encourages people to come to the front of the church to pray. I don't suppose there's anything wrong with that, but they look down on those of us who feel like we can pray just as effectively remaining in our pews. I don't mind people going to the front to pray, but that's not for me. For me that would be calling attention to myself and not focusing on God. So, go ahead and have loud, boisterous and uncontrolled worship if you want, but please don't think that those of us who worship quietly and in a controlled way are somehow worshipping less sincerely or not worshipping at all.

Our Church has prayer night on Wed night. The procedure is for the members to break up into groups and then each group member is supposed to pray outloud.

I would like to see silent prayer instituted for this night. The Scriptures tell us that God is present when two or more are gathered in His name. Nothing is said about prayer needing to be outloud.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Osage Bluestem

Dec 27, 2010
Texas
Visit site
✟11,711.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sir, once again I think you have over steps your bounds of authority, you can not speak for all Baptist churches. I know of and am part of a Baptist Church that encourages people to pray in their prayer languages! and we are not alone, I talked with another baptist preacher, He said that the missionaries from their assc. where receiving the Spiritual gifts out on the mission fields, and were excited about it, and writing home telling the assc. about it, and the assc, were pulling them off the mission fields, talk about quenching the Spirit!

First of all any Baptist church with that kind of stuff going on won't have me as a member.

Second of all they should pull them off of their mission field because there is no such thing as speaking or praying in tongues anymore for the last two millenia. They are misrepresenting God and making a mockery of their position. If they are going to do that they should be pentacostals at least people there expect stuff like that. I think it's all a show put on by a person who wants to put on a show and i don't believe anyone who says they do it in private. They are trying to do it and make themselves think they are doing it or they are just lying. I honestly don't believe God does that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

greatdivide46

Nov 7, 2011
Alabama
✟9,561.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
First of all any Baptist church with that kind of stuff going on won't have me as a member.

Second of all they should pull them off of their mission field because there is no such thing as speaking or praying in tongues anymore for the last two millenia. They are misrepresenting God and making a mockery of their position. If they are going to do that they should be pentacostals at least people there expect stuff like that. I think it's all a show put on by a person who wants to put on a show and i don't believe anyone who says they do it in private. They are trying to do it and make themselves think they are doing it or they are just lying. I honestly don't believe God does that.
Yeah, why would anyone who does it in private then tell people that they do it in private unless they are trying to call attention to themselves or make themselves seem more spiritual that those of who don't speak in tongues and at all, privately or in public.

The college that I graduated from allowed hand raising and loud worship during chapel as long as those doing that didn't look down on those who didn't do it.

Upvote 0

Osage Bluestem

Dec 27, 2010
Texas
Visit site
✟11,711.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, why would anyone who does it in private then tell people that they do it in private unless they are trying to call attention to themselves or make themselves seem more spiritual that those of who don't speak in tongues and at all, privately or in public.

The college that I graduated from allowed hand raising and loud worship during chapel as long as those doing that didn't look down on those who didn't do it.

I don't like hand raising, clapping, dancing, or contemporary music either. But charismatic stuff especially puts me off. I feel repulsed by it and do not believe it is from God.

Upvote 0

nobdysfool

Feb 23, 2003
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

I certainly did not mean to imply what you apparently thought I might be doing. I just happened to enjoy the difference, and I do seem to recall the children of Israel worshiping rather loudly and boisterously after seeing Pharaoh's army drowned in the Red Sea. They even danced! I think there is a time for that, as well as a time for quiet, reverent worship. Worship is an expression of the heart, and if one is happy and blessed, why not express that? God is not offended by that, but the more stuffy members of the congregation might be. David danced with all his might before the Lord. Picture that, and compare with the sometimes almost sepulchre nature of "worship" in some churches.

Bottom line, who is it we're worshiping, and where should our attention be?

Upvote 0

phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I certainly did not mean to imply what you apparently thought I might be doing. I just happened to enjoy the difference, and I do seem to recall the children of Israel worshiping rather loudly and boisterously after seeing Pharaoh's army drowned in the Red Sea. They even danced! I think there is a time for that, as well as a time for quiet, reverent worship. Worship is an expression of the heart, and if one is happy and blessed, why not express that? God is not offended by that, but the more stuffy members of the congregation might be. David danced with all his might before the Lord. Picture that, and compare with the sometimes almost sepulchre nature of "worship" in some churches.

Bottom line, who is it we're worshiping, and where should our attention be?

Is it ok, in your opinion, that not all who attend church get up in service and dance on the pews? Just wondering.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

His_disciple3

Nov 22, 2010
as close to Jesus as I can be
✟17,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just because I address "holy laughter" in my post doesn't mean I'm accusing you of endorsing it, or anything else for that matter. Knock the chip off your own shoulder and see if we can discuss, not accuse, what do you say?I'm not going to address your statement before this line in your post. That's an invitation to disemboweling one another. But I tell you, I have seen the power of God as well. I see it everyday in the lives of men and women who spent from a few months to many, many years in prison. It happens because of complete and final surrender of their will to Go. As a result, they experience miraculous changes in thinking processes, instincts, emotions, etc., things prison officials and society told them would never change. No one spoke in tongues to them or laid hands on them (and many of these folks would react out of instinct and punch someone who tried that). They didn't need distractions to "confirm" anything to them. Still, they knew God had touched them in powerful, miraculous ways. There was no ostentatiousness about it, just life change, and that turns into positive witness. The gifts are no longer needed because of testimonies like these, multiplied by tens of millions, so the gifts are dead. No amount of "I saw this," or "This actually happened to me" is going to convince me, and every act people have claimed they could show me was all show and no go. Testimonies spread the word of God today. Period.

Luke 16:29-31
29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.
KJV
God has always had testimonies and yet He has always worked Miracles and use men to do these Miracles through. Moses and the prophets had testimonies let them hear them, and even though they would talked with One that has been dead they still will not believe! Thank you for confirming scriptures. Paul had one of the greatest testimony yet God use him to do miracles through.

Upvote 0

nobdysfool

Feb 23, 2003
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Is it ok, in your opinion, that not all who attend church get up in service and dance on the pews? Just wondering.

I am amazed at the inability of some people to read with comprehension what someone else has written. Instead, they jump to accusatory conclusions, and try to assert some sort of higher ground over those with whom they disagree....IMHO, Baptists are experts at it....

Brother, people should be free to worship God according to their heart. Quiet and reserved, or joyfully and exuberantly, or anywhere in between.

The snarky comment was uncalled for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nobdysfool

Feb 23, 2003
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't like hand raising, clapping, dancing, or contemporary music either. But charismatic stuff especially puts me off. I feel repulsed by it and do not believe it is from God.

Well then we should expect that your comportment while watching football should be just as buttoned up and reserved.....that is, if you watch football.

If you do, then wouldn't it seem a little odd that you might get more excited about a football game that you would about God?....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

greatdivide46

Nov 7, 2011
Alabama
✟9,561.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well then we should expect that your comportment while watching football should be just as buttoned up and reserved.....that is, if you watch football.

If you do, then wouldn't it seem a little odd that you might get more excited about a football game that you would about God?....
Now this I can agree with. If people get all excited and loud and exuberant at a football game people say they are a fan. If people do the same thing at church people say they are an fanatic. ^_^

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

One of the problems in the church today is that too many people equate "I don't like" with "not from God" and "I like" with "from God". But, the sinner that I am, if church was all about what I like, it would be a pretty hedonistic place. For some, it would be a pretty legalistic place. In fact, if we're really honest, if church was catered to what each person likes, each Christian would have his or her own church and would not have to be bothered with having to be around other people all the time.

Personally, I think God can be found in any church that teaches truth and that earnestly loves, regardless of the music, worship style, building, etc.

Reactions: Sophia7
Upvote 0