What do Baptists believe about speaking in tongues?

P1LGR1M

Stranger
Jun 20, 2012
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pilgrim, out of respect of the Congressional forum if you would like to have further discussions,please refer me to a open forum on subject.

Hello again Now Faith, I would think that the subject matter is one that is reasonable for discussion on this board, as so far it seems the only issue having to be addressed is emotional response.

Perhaps starting slow with shorter posts, lol, might convince others that a civil discussion is possible between believers of different views, lol.

Concering your response, thanks. Not sure how much time I have today but I will be here for a bit this morning.

I believe Gods word the Bible is absolute truth.

Amen!

God bless.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Hello again Now Faith, I would think that the subject matter is one that is reasonable for discussion on this board, as so far it seems the only issue having to be addressed is emotional response.

Perhaps starting slow with shorter posts, lol, might convince others that a civil discussion is possible between believers of different views, lol.

Concering your response, thanks. Not sure how much time I have today but I will be here for a bit this morning.

Amen!

God bless.
I really do not think our views are that far apart.
You know there a so many views that just does not matter ,who is correct among Christians.
Does differing thoughts matter on the tribulation? Will not change what God does one bit.
But as steel sharpens steel our emotional responses,do come out.
If i am so blinded i can not learn from discussions,I will only maintain what little knowledge,I do have.

Upvote 0

P1LGR1M

Stranger
Jun 20, 2012
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I really do not think our views are that far apart.
You know there a so many views that just does not matter ,who is correct among Christians.
Does differing thoughts matter on the tribulation? Will not change what God does one bit.
But as steel sharpens steel our emotional responses,do come out.
If i am so blinded i can not learn from discussions,I will only maintain what little knowledge,I do have.

Hello Now Faith, I would in large part agree, there are some things we need to understand others are going to believe, and many of them because they have not had opportunity to learn how to...learn, lol. Discipleship is probably where we as the Church need to refocus with vigor.

You mention the Tribulation, and again I would agree for the most part. It is odd but this is one of the doctrines that has the habit of dividing. Particularly in relation to the Rapture (I am pre-trib, by the way). But discussion about this issue has helped me a great deal in a number of ways. If you asked me how important this was I would say that it is very imprtant, however, I always have to put rapture discussions down the line in favor of other discussions, because there are a number of other doctrines that should be straight before this one. If we understand why there is going to be a tribulation, we can better sort out the events of the tribulation, I feel.

Concerning emotional response, this was one of the first things the Lord began working on me about when I found the forums. I was like a kid in a candy store, as I love to talk to people about the Lord and doctrine, and on the forums...people come to you! How great is that? lol

I try very hard to stick with what scripture says, though with some groups, that is impossible. Like atheists, for instance. But, in talking to atheists, I have learned some valuable lessons on how to talk with atheists.

And lastly, we can learn from others, though it will be in a number of ways. One of the biggest lessons to learn, I believe, is if we simply look at the basis of belief that others have, we can at the least understand where they are coming from, why they believe what they do, and secondly, we may have the opportunity to correct an assumption they have by opening God's word. I think it was when I began speaking with atheists that this lesson was brought to my attention. Many hate God and Christians for some really very trifling reasons. Some of them have never actually been exposed to Christians but think they have. Some of them have a natural understanding of scripture, and therefore hate God because they simply misunderstand a number of passages. That is not to say that by simply putting things into context they are wonderously saved, but I have seen some atheists stop frequenting atheist boards, which I am in hope that is a positive step.

Okay, only have a few minutes this morning, so, thanks for the response and look forward to some good discussion, my friend.

God bless.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Hello Now Faith, I would in large part agree, there are some things we need to understand others are going to believe, and many of them because they have not had opportunity to learn how to...learn, lol. Discipleship is probably where we as the Church need to refocus with vigor.

You mention the Tribulation, and again I would agree for the most part. It is odd but this is one of the doctrines that has the habit of dividing. Particularly in relation to the Rapture (I am pre-trib, by the way). But discussion about this issue has helped me a great deal in a number of ways. If you asked me how important this was I would say that it is very imprtant, however, I always have to put rapture discussions down the line in favor of other discussions, because there are a number of other doctrines that should be straight before this one. If we understand why there is going to be a tribulation, we can better sort out the events of the tribulation, I feel. V5

Concerning emotional response, this was one of the first things the Lord began working on me about when I found the forums. I was like a kid in a candy store, as I love to talk to people about the Lord and doctrine, and on the forums...people come to you! How great is that? lol

I try very hard to stick with what scripture says, though with some groups, that is impossible. Like atheists, for instance. But, in talking to atheists, I have learned some valuable lessons on how to talk with atheists.

And lastly, we can learn from others, though it will be in a number of ways. One of the biggest lessons to learn, I believe, is if we simply look at the basis of belief that others have, we can at the least understand where they are coming from, why they believe what they do, and secondly, we may have the opportunity to correct an assumption they have by opening God's word. I think it was when I began speaking with atheists that this lesson was brought to my attention. Many hate God and Christians for some really very trifling reasons. Some of them have never actually been exposed to Christians but think they have. Some of them have a natural understanding of scripture, and therefore hate God because they simply misunderstand a number of passages. That is not to say that by simply putting things into context they are wonderously saved, but I have seen some atheists stop frequenting atheist boards, which I am in hope that is a positive step.

Okay, only have a few minutes this morning, so, thanks for the response and look forward to some good discussion, my friend.

God bless.

Well I have spent a lot of time,with the atheists here.
It is very challenging,due to them couching the debate,by disallowing the Bible as truth from the onset.
Many of them have be well versed in the Word as well,and their points are traps to confuse others.
You have to quote the Word line up on line precept up on precept,to expose the bait and switch.
Well thank you for the conversation,until the next thread God bless.:clap:

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The number of Baptist Clergy that ACCEPT the existence and continuation is growing, while the number of Baptist organizations that actually PRACTICE the continuation of the GIfts, and tongues is still rather small (I heard 10% bandied about).

Time was that the SBC would give the "Left foot of fellowship" to a tongues speaker (they tossed 'em by the Box lot during the late '60s, and '70s).

The LAST Baptist church I joined ("New Haven" Baptist in Sheffield Village, OH - SBC) knew I was a wild-eyed tongues speaking Charismatic, but they welcomed me into their fellowship anyway on my statement of Faith. And they didn't mind that I played the Banjo, either (Pastor White was from West Virginia).

The times, they are a-changing.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
The number of Baptist Clergy that ACCEPT the existence and continuation is growing, while the number of Baptist organizations that actually PRACTICE the continuation of the GIfts, and tongues is still rather small (I heard 10% bandied about).

Time was that the SBC would give the "Left foot of fellowship" to a tongues speaker (they tossed 'em by the Box lot during the late '60s, and '70s).

The LAST Baptist church I joined ("New Haven" Baptist in Sheffield Village, OH - SBC) knew I was a wild-eyed tongues speaking Charismatic, but they welcomed me into their fellowship anyway on my statement of Faith. And they didn't mind that I played the Banjo, either (Pastor White was from West Virginia).

:thumbsup:

Oz

Upvote 0

jomarc

Jan 19, 2012
✟7,982.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The gift of tongues today: Being able to interpret

Speaking tongues on the Day of Pentecost: A miraculous event. Along with this miracle in which everyone could understand everyone else there was the appearance of tongue-like looking fire. I have to ask: "Anybody seen any fire like this lately?" I know I haven't. Therefore, I rest my case that the speaking of tongues on the Day of Pentecost....and the gift of tongues today are two entirely different biblical concepts.

Upvote 0

cje093

Aug 30, 2013
✟7,612.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I got married my husband he was Baptist I came from a different belief my husband totally didn't believe in speaking in tongues. One day we where talking about it and he got so angry he said it wasn't real he began to cuss I got up from where I was setting I told me it was fine for him to not believe put to speak against it in such a manner was wrong and I had to much Fear of God in me to set back and listen to him speak against the Holy Ghost, it take faith to receive it, Paul said I Corinthians 14:39 Wherefore, breathren, covet to prophesy and forbid not to speak in tongues. (40) Let all things be done decently and in order. Speaking in tongues is a prayer between your spirit and God. I Corinthians 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. In the flesh we don't have any idea what is said but u can feel something real in your heart. I Corinthians 14:18 Paul said, I thank my God, I spea with tongues more than ye all. (19) Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue. Verce (21) In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people, and yet for all that will, they not hear me, saith the Lord. (22) Wherefore tongues are for a sign not to them that believe, but to them that believe not. The Bible teaches us that God is the same yesterday today and forever. Peter said in Acts 2:15 For thses are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel. And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God I will pour out of my spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit, and they shall Prophesy. People we are closer to the return of Jesus Christ. God is pouring out his Spirit and the Gifts of the Spirit are still in use today, sure some fake it but the real deal is still being given by God today but you can't receive it without faith God doesn't change his gifts are not out dated man kind has changed and don't want to hear the voice of God, I have to much fear of God to fake speaking in tongues, everytime I pray I don't speak in tongues and I never speak in tongues except quitly to God because some don't believe. But when I pray and allow God touch me and I begin speak in tongues I have not held back anything from God but allowed God to speak to my heart and ministery to my spirit.

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I had a friend years ago that wanted to be a missionary through the home mission board of the SBC. He stated on his application that he and his wife had a prayer language. His application was turned down solely for that reason.

Baptist may say that they agree that tongues is possible and would be okay if there was someone to interpret, but in practical terms most Baptist I have met are scared to death of speaking in tongues.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
B

BlueLioness

Hi everyone. I am just curious as to what Baptists believe about speaking in tongues. I was raised Southern Baptist but I don't remember this issue ever coming up in church. I am slowly beginning to do research about various denominations because I am considering possibly going back to church again. Anyway, if you could, please identify which specific Baptist denomination you are in. I'll appreciate your answers. :)

God Bless,
Holly

You sound like your background is similar to mine. I remember being brought up in a church as well, it was a Baptist denomination.

For some reason my church seems to look down on or even discourage speaking in tongues.

Upvote 0

Jordan Crane

Feb 24, 2016
Tennessee
✟15,111.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Ok my wife ( raised church of God) and I (raised southern independent devil stompin King James Version dresses and pants wearing short hair cuts for men and that's how it's gonna be baptist) have had this discussion numerous times. I have been to church of God assemblies and heard tongues that I felt were genuinely a gift from God. On the other hand I have heard some that made me cringe knowing these people were putting on a show. I believe God, if you are worshipping him with a correct heart and attitude of servitude, will bless you and speak to and through you in accordance with your denomination. Meaning if you believe in tongues he will show and grant you those signs but I don't believe they are must haves for true worship. That being said, think about this, America has an army, a navy, a coast guard, an Air Force, a national guard, and marines. While all of these organizations have different methods of training and they all claim to be the best and toughest of them all, they are all there to do the same job which is to defend America and her allies. If you have Christ in your heart and you are moving his banner and word forward it doesn't matter what "team" you are on as long as you are preaching the truth

Upvote 0

Grandpa4

Sep 25, 2015
Jacumba, CA
✟15,553.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't believe that tongues is at all necessary. The 'tongues that the disciples spoke at Pentecost were the known languages of that time--NOT unknown tongues. The people then heard the gospel in their own languages--not in gibberish.

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I don't believe that tongues is at all necessary. The 'tongues that the disciples spoke at Pentecost were the known languages of that time--NOT unknown tongues. The people then heard the gospel in their own languages--not in gibberish.

So how do you interpret 1 Cor 14:2 (ESV), 'For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit'?

Here the gift of tongues is spoken not to human beings to other human beings, but to God and 'no one understands' the person as that person is speaking 'mysteries in the Spirit.

Oz

Upvote 0

DoubtfulSalvation

Jan 21, 2016
USA
✟15,659.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello Everyone, I realize this is a hotly debated topic and for the time being I will keep my opinion to myself, but I do have some naive curiosities. If the apostolic gifts are still in use today the way they were back in bible times. How come we are clearing out hospitals of there sick and morgues of their dead? It seems a little convenient to me that these "gifts" are always confined to local churches with no real evidence. Please, let know one take offense to what I just said, as I'm only sharing what I've seen through my eyes. Would anyone who does believe in the gifts give me an idea about where this thought process leads? Thank you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hello Everyone, I realize this is a hotly debated topic and for the time being I will keep my opinion to myself, but I do have some naive curiosities. If the apostolic gifts are still in use today the way they were back in bible times. How come we are clearing out hospitals of there sick and morgues of their dead? It seems a little convenient to me that these "gifts" are always confined to local churches with no real evidence. Please, let know one take offense to what I just said, as I'm only sharing what I've seen through my eyes. Would anyone who does believe in the gifts give me an idea about where this thought process leads? Thank you!

You seem to have an unfortunate presupposition that undermines your statement. You seem to have the idea that in Bible times God healed the people so that we should be 'clearing out hospitals of the sick and morgues of their dead' if God is continuing to do that today.

The fact is that your theology is not that found in the NT. Who was the fellow that Paul left sick at Miletus? Trophimus (see 2 Tim 4:20).

Did Jesus heal all people? No, he didn't. Take a read of Mark 6:1-6 (ESV).

Oz

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone. I am just curious as to what Baptists believe about speaking in tongues. I was raised Southern Baptist but I don't remember this issue ever coming up in church. I am slowly beginning to do research about various denominations because I am considering possibly going back to church again. Anyway, if you could, please identify which specific Baptist denomination you are in. I'll appreciate your answers. :)

God Bless,
Holly

In general, Baptists follow what the Bible says about speaking in tongues in 1 Corinthians 14.

Speaking in tongues is not a requirement for or proof of salvation. We are not to focus on speaking in tongues. Speaking in tongues requires a translator and the translator is not the speaker. Speaking in tongues is simply speaking in a language that is not the native language of the speaker (for example, if I was in the midst of people who only spoke Mandarin Chinese and God so willed, He would gift me with the ability to speak in Mandarin Chinese, for the purpose for sharing the gospel. Mandarin Chinese is not my native language).

Speaking in tongues is not incoherent, ecstatic, emotional rambling babble as shown in some Charismatic/Pentecostal churches where there is no translator and the words are not any human language and where there is no translator.

Even though I am a member at a church associated with the Southern Baptist Convention, I do not identify myself as a "Southern Baptist". I follow Jesus Christ, by His grace, not the Southern Baptist Convention (although there are things in the SBC I agree with).

Upvote 0

FaithfulPilgrim

Eternally Seeking
Feb 8, 2015
South Carolina
✟39,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm a Southern Baptist who believes in speaking in tongues. We're more common than you would think.

However, Pentecostals take it to the extreme, imo.

Tongues are still around, but an interpreter must be present or else you should remain silent. Also, I don't believe you can speak in tongues whenever you want, but only when God wills it.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Ok my wife ( raised church of God) and I (raised southern independent devil stompin King James Version dresses and pants wearing short hair cuts for men and that's how it's gonna be baptist) have had this discussion numerous times. I have been to church of God assemblies and heard tongues that I felt were genuinely a gift from God. On the other hand I have heard some that made me cringe knowing these people were putting on a show. I believe God, if you are worshipping him with a correct heart and attitude of servitude, will bless you and speak to and through you in accordance with your denomination. Meaning if you believe in tongues he will show and grant you those signs but I don't believe they are must haves for true worship. That being said, think about this, America has an army, a navy, a coast guard, an Air Force, a national guard, and marines. While all of these organizations have different methods of training and they all claim to be the best and toughest of them all, they are all there to do the same job which is to defend America and her allies. If you have Christ in your heart and you are moving his banner and word forward it doesn't matter what "team" you are on as long as you are preaching the truth
Sincerity doesn't equate to action being right. Someone can be extremely sincere and be so far from the truth, yet have a rational reason from their hermeneutic. For me, I respect Wayne Grudem the most from all those who believe the gifts of the Spirit exist today, but I still believe he is wrong. This means one of us is believing false doctrine on this issue. If he is wrong, his sincerity in what he does means it's empty gibberish and he is promoting false doctrine. If I'm wrong it means I'm promoting false doctrine.

I would agree we can agree to disagree and still work side by side for the cause of Christ. But one stance isn't promoting Christ properly.

The military example doesn't fit. Really it would fit if the different military divisions were schisms of the army. But they aren't.

Upvote 0

DoubtfulSalvation

Jan 21, 2016
USA
✟15,659.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You seem to have an unfortunate presupposition that undermines your statement. You seem to have the idea that in Bible times God healed the people so that we should be 'clearing out hospitals of the sick and morgues of their dead' if God is continuing to do that today.

The fact is that your theology is not that found in the NT. Who was the fellow that Paul left sick at Miletus? Trophimus (see 2 Tim 4:20).

Did Jesus heal all people? No, he didn't. Take a read of Mark 6:1-6 (ESV).

Oz

Thank you for your reply. I will check out the verses in mark that you suggested.

Upvote 0