What do Baptists believe about speaking in tongues?

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone. I am just curious as to what Baptists believe about speaking in tongues. I was raised Southern Baptist but I don't remember this issue ever coming up in church. I am slowly beginning to do research about various denominations because I am considering possibly going back to church again. Anyway, if you could, please identify which specific Baptist denomination you are in. I'll appreciate your answers. :)

God Bless,
Holly

Glorianna

I'm a proud Canadian who married an American!
Mar 29, 2004
USA
✟30,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some information that I came across and thought might be relevant:

Members of a Southern Baptist congregation might view members of a neighboring congregation of United Pentecostal Church International speaking in tongues. The Baptists might believe that most believers in that congregation may be demon-possessed. Meanwhile the Pentecostals, noticing that few if any of the Southern Baptists speak in tongues, might conclude that almost none of the Baptists have been truly saved; the vast majority will spend eternity being tortured in Hell without hope of relief.

Upvote 0

david.d

Oct 19, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
Visit site
✟27,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure if you could say this is a Baptist belief in regard to tongues, but after recently researching the topic and having discussions with various peers, I will share what has been revealed to me from the scriptures. Doesn't mean i'm entirely right or anything, just what I've read.

Tongues were first and foremost a sign for unbelievers during the time of the Apostles. 1 Cor. 14:22, "Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe."

One of the explicit requirements for tongues in the church is there has to be someone to interpret the tongues before they should be spoken in the church. 1 Cor. 14:27-28, "If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God."

The Apostles had the ability to show signs for non-believers, as tongues was. The Apostles could pass these abilities on to others, but those others couldn't further pass on the abilities. Just as an Apostle could touch a piece of cloth and however touched that cloth would be healed, but that person couldn't do the same with another piece of cloth. In 1 Cor. 13:8 it says, "Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away." These things were spiritual gifts. Knowledge, for instance, doesn't mean knowledge as in learning, but instant knowledge given by the God, not learned. Why did these things cease? We now have the word of God, to study, to give us hope, to give us comfort. The word of God is complete and those things have passed away. 1 Cor. 13:12 says, "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

There are some other angles to the subject, but I don't want to start anything negative, so i'll just stick with these verses :)

Edit -> I am Baptist, but not Southern Baptist. I'm Primitive Baptist, and from discussions with peers (not only Primitive Baptists) the above is relatively close to most Baptist beliefs.

Reactions: LRose613
Upvote 0

rural_preacher

Oct 4, 2004
✟1,555.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am the pastor of a church that is in fellowship with the General Association of Regular Baptist Churches (GARBC).

The following quote is from the GARBC Articles of Faith:

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]III. The Holy Spirit
We believe that the Holy Spirit is a divine person, equal with God the Father and God the Son and of the same nature; that He was active in the creation; that in His relation to the unbelieving world He restrains the evil one until God's purpose is fulfilled; that He convicts of sin, of righteousness and of judgment; that He bears witness to the truth of the gospel in preaching and testimony; that He is the Agent in the new birth; that He seals, endues, guides, teaches, witnesses, sanctifies and helps the believer. We believe that the sign/revelatory gifts of the Holy Spirit have fulfilled their purpose and are not applicable to the work of the Holy Spirit today.John 14:16, 17; Matthew 28:19; Hebrews 9:14; John 14:26; Luke 1:35; Genesis 1:1-3; John 16:8-11; Acts 5:30-32; John 3:5, 6; Ephesians 1:13, 14; Mark 1:8; John 1:33; Acts 11:16; Luke 24:49; Romans 8:14, 16, 26, 27; 1 Corinthians 12:8-10, 28-30; 13:8-10; 14:1-40; 2 Corinthians 12:12; Hebrews 2:2-4.
[/font]

We believe that speaking in tongues is one of those "sign/revelatory" gifts. Although I personally believe that God can do what He wants and could supernaturally enable someone to speak in a language they have not otherwise learned if it served a legitimate purpose. I do not believe that the modern tongues movement (ecstatic babbling) is biblical at all nor is it of the Holy Spirit...I believe it is of the flesh (not the devil).

I have many close friends who are pentecostal. We disagree on this one point, but we embrace each other in love as brothers and sisters in Christ. Unity is not uniformity; it is cooperation (and love) in the midst of diversity.

Here is a link to an article that you might find helpful: http://www.bible.org/page.asp?page_id=393

Praise God!:clap:

Upvote 0

aReformedPatriot

Ron Paul for President!
Oct 30, 2004
Visit site
✟13,811.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Since i reject dispensational theology I accept tongues as being scriptural and for today, but the moment someone barks at me and trys to interpret it I'm prepared to excise the demons :p

I also seek these gifts myself in prayer, though the Lord up until now has decided not to grant them.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

rural_preacher

Oct 4, 2004
✟1,555.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Lord's Envoy said:
Since i reject dispensational theology I accept tongues as being scriptural and for today, but the moment someone barks at me and trys to interpret it I'm prepared to excise the demons :p

I also seek these gifts myself in prayer, though the Lord up until now has decided not to grant them.
Um...most pentecostals I know are premillenial/dispensational in their theology. That doesn't stop them from believing in tongues and signs and wonders. (http://ag.org/top/beliefs/christian_doctrines/gendoct_17_endtime_events.cfm)

What does a rejection or acceptance of dispensationalism have to do with gifts of the Spirit?

Upvote 0

Andyman_1970

Trying to walk in His dust...............
Feb 2, 2004
The Natural State
Visit site
✟12,840.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
rural_preacher said:
We believe that speaking in tongues is one of those "sign/revelatory" gifts. Although I personally believe that God can do what He wants and could supernaturally enable someone to speak in a language they have not otherwise learned if it served a legitimate purpose. I do not believe that the modern tongues movement (ecstatic babbling) is biblical at all nor is it of the Holy Spirit...I believe it is of the flesh (not the devil).

I totally agree. IMO the passages that are used to indicate the tongues have ceased (or any of the gifts for that matter) are a stretch (with all due respect to those who believe that they have ceased).

rural_preacher said:
I have many close friends who are pentecostal. We disagree on this one point, but we embrace each other in love as brothers and sisters in Christ. Unity is not uniformity; it is cooperation (and love) in the midst of diversity.

How awesome is that. I think we as Christians spend way too much time focusing on our differences rather than what we have in common. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

aReformedPatriot

Ron Paul for President!
Oct 30, 2004
Visit site
✟13,811.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
rural_preacher said:
Um...most pentecostals I know are premillenial/dispensational in their theology. That doesn't stop them from believing in tongues and signs and wonders. (http://ag.org/top/beliefs/christian_doctrines/gendoct_17_endtime_events.cfm)

What does a rejection or acceptance of dispensationalism have to do with gifts of the Spirit?
Thats incorrect, i went to an A/G college dedocated to training ministers (www.cbcag.edu), I have the 16 fundamental truths and A/G history burned into my skull. They are premillienial but they reject dispensationalism.

Upvote 0

rural_preacher

Oct 4, 2004
✟1,555.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Lord's Envoy said:
Thats incorrect, i went to an A/G college dedocated to training ministers (www.cbcag.edu), I have the 16 fundamental truths and A/G history burned into my skull. They are premillienial but they reject dispensationalism.
That's interesting. I worked full time on the staff of an AG college for 4 and a half years. I don't remember running into any objections to a dispensational approach. I will agree that they do not specifically teach dispensationalism, but I never was confronted with any objection. There were some very well educated people there who would fit into that system simply by their understanding of the Bible.

For instance, the AG folks that I know would agree with the following:
- A consistent, literal/historical interpretation of Scripture.
- The "rapture" of the church prior to God pouring out His wrath on the unbelieving world (some are pretrib, some midtrib).
- The literal return of Christ to earth to reign on the throne of David in Jerusalem for 1,000 years thus literally fulfilling the promises of OT prophecy concerning the nation of Israel.

As the saying goes: If it smells like a dog and barks like a dog...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Matthan

Veteran
Aug 21, 2004
Upstate New York
✟2,689.00
Faith
Baptist
The Baptist Church where I was raised would definitely not approve of "tongues", and believe me when I say it was a strict Baptist Church. Why, one day the devil showed up for services, and he got baptized before he knew what was happening. The preacher got him so scared of himself that he's afraid to miss a single sermon.

Matthan

Upvote 0

aReformedPatriot

Ron Paul for President!
Oct 30, 2004
Visit site
✟13,811.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
rural_preacher said:
That's interesting. I worked full time on the staff of an AG college for 4 and a half years. I don't remember running into any objections to a dispensational approach. I will agree that they do not specifically teach dispensationalism, but I never was confronted with any objection. There were some very well educated people there who would fit into that system simply by their understanding of the Bible.

For instance, the AG folks that I know would agree with the following:
- A consistent, literal/historical interpretation of Scripture.
- The "rapture" of the church prior to God pouring out His wrath on the unbelieving world (some are pretrib, some midtrib).
- The literal return of Christ to earth to reign on the throne of David in Jerusalem for 1,000 years thus literally fulfilling the promises of OT prophecy concerning the nation of Israel.

As the saying goes: If it smells like a dog and barks like a dog...
Sure, but you can accept those things without being dispensationalist. The main contention happens when we shift from the age of the apostles to our current age. I forget the proper terms for them. Most dispensationalists/baptists believe that when the apostles basically died, or most notably, 'when that which is perfect comes' IE the Bible, these things will pass away. See 1 Cor 13:8-11. Pentecostals hold 'that which is perfect' to be Christ either at the rapture, or his second coming when he sets foot upon this rock to set up his earthly kingdom.

If you go through the A/G's theology it will show them to be just a hair shy of being dispensationalist.

Upvote 0

rural_preacher

Oct 4, 2004
✟1,555.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Lord's Envoy said:
Sure, but you can accept those things without being dispensationalist. The main contention happens when we shift from the age of the apostles to our current age. I forget the proper terms for them. Most dispensationalists/baptists believe that when the apostles basically died, or most notably, 'when that which is perfect comes' IE the Bible, these things will pass away. See 1 Cor 13:8-11. Pentecostals hold 'that which is perfect' to be Christ either at the rapture, or his second coming when he sets foot upon this rock to set up his earthly kingdom.

If you go through the A/G's theology it will show them to be just a hair shy of being dispensationalist.
Classic dispensationalism does not regard the period of the early church (the apostolic period) as separate from the current church. The church began at Pentacost. That is the beginning of this current "dispensation". Making a distinction between the operation of gifts during the time of the apostles and now really has nothing to do with classic dispensationalism. They are two different issues.

The official AG position on the beginning of the church at Pentacost, the distinction of the church and Israel, literal interpretation, pretrib rapture and premil return of Christ with a literal, earthly reign fits perfectly into the classic dispensationalism as presented by Charles Ryrie in his book Dispensationalism.

I'm not denying that you, personally, are not a dispensationalist. I am just stating that my AG friends and collegues fit well into that position as does the official AG doctrine (IMO).

I also am not really trying to defend dispensationalism in any particular way. It is a system of theological study developed by humans. As always, our authority must be the Word of God, not a system. I am not specifically saying that the AG are dispensationalists, just that the doctrine fits (more or less).

To sum up, you are my brother. I love you in Christ. So all these words don't really matter after all. :clap:

Praise God!

Reactions: Andyman_1970
Upvote 0

aReformedPatriot

Ron Paul for President!
Oct 30, 2004
Visit site
✟13,811.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
rural_preacher said:
To sum up, you are my brother. I love you in Christ. So all these words don't really matter after all. :clap:

Praise God!
Alright.. You've earned it. A Holy Kiss. :kiss: (1 Thess 5:26) :p And yes, those words dont matter in the grand scheme.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hmm, I have no idea what dispensationalism is but here's what I believe. I believe that anything is possible with God (Luke 1:37). Therefore, I really hold a neutral position on the subject of tongues. I basically believe that speaking in tongues is possible and does happen today. Whether or not it is of God and whether or not this gift is still for today, I do not know. I don't practice speaking in tongues.

Really, I became a lot more openminded on the subject when my sister got married. My brother-in-law is a Pentecostal. See, I used to attend an Independent Fundamentalist Baptist church for some time and they believe that the gift of tongues has now ceased and that modern day instances of tongues are demonic. Don't take my word on this though, that's just the way I understood their doctrinal statement on this issue. I think my brother-in-law is an Independent Pentecostal but I'm not sure. Anyway, him and I had a few discussions on the topic of speaking in tongues and that is how I came to my current conclusion.

Basically I don't feel that I have enough knowledge to make a judgement about speaking in tongues. However, I can say that I feel that an interpreter must be present. (1 Corinthians 14:27-28).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rural_preacher

Oct 4, 2004
✟1,555.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Holly3278 said:
Basically I don't feel that I have enough knowledge to make a judgement about speaking in tongues. However, I can say that I feel that an interpreter must be present. (1 Corinthians 14:27-28).
That brings up a good point...interpretation of tongues. Paul's letter to the church in Corinth was one long rebuke because they were abusing their Christianity. Spiritual gifts were being misunderstood and abused and Paul set them (and us) straight on the matter.

There are still some churches today that are abusing the gifts by exercising them in the flesh rather than walking in step with the Spirit (Gal. 5:25). However, many pentecostals believe that when the gift of tongues is exercised in the assembly an interpreter must be present and must exercise their gift as well. So, regardless of what we might think of that gift's validity for today, at least they are trying to practice it within the guidelines set forth in God's Word.

The only "tongues" that I ever heard the president of the AG college (where I worked) speak was Spanish. He would stand up in chapel and pray in Spanish and then he would pray the same thing in English (interpret). I never heard him "babble". I know that is not the supernatural enabling of the Spirit, but I always found it interesting that he did that. (Our Latin American students appreciated it).

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2007
South Carolina
✟15,146.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am an independant , fundamentalist baptist. (South Carolina - the bible belt) We believe the 1611 King James Bible is the undeniable, true word of the living God.
I am not here to debate the bible with anyone. People are going to believe what they believe no matter what you say . . . besides, it's easier to convert a drunk off the street or a drug addict than it is someone with different beliefs. It just is.
We do not believe in speaking in tongues anymore. It once was, but the holy gifts dwindled and eventually ended. We believe that is biblical.
If you read the new testament , you can see this.
We also do not believe in fellowship of different denominations. While there are people who are saved in other denominations, some of the beliefs are different.
An example would be catholics: they ask forgiveness from a priest and pray to Mary instead of God. We do not believe that way.
We believe we can pray directly to the father in the name of his son, Jesus. We believe once you are saved, you cannot lose salvation.
I could go through it all, but I wont.

Upvote 0

WarEagle

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone. I am just curious as to what Baptists believe about speaking in tongues. I was raised Southern Baptist but I don't remember this issue ever coming up in church. I am slowly beginning to do research about various denominations because I am considering possibly going back to church again. Anyway, if you could, please identify which specific Baptist denomination you are in. I'll appreciate your answers. :)

God Bless,
Holly

Tongues were given for two reasons:

a) as a sign to unbelivers
b) to proclaim and validate God's word before the church had the Bible.

It was a specific move of God for a specific period.

Can God use tongues today? Yes, but does He? I don't believe so.

I was a member of the charismatic/WoF movement for many years and saw the alleged gift of tongues abused so badly that it would just sicken you.

While I, personally, do not believe that tongues are a gift available to the church today, I also recognize that it's a non-essential doctrine and would not part with another believer over it.

Upvote 0

missprayerwarrior

Jun 25, 2007
Mississippi
✟15,232.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I grew up in a southern baptist church. I still attend it pretty often. They don't believe in speaking in tongues. HOWEVER, I believe in it. I've experienced it. I pray in tongues often. So there's a new one for some of ya'll.. a baptist raised girl who speaks in tongues.

Be blessed.

Reactions: Mark2010
Upvote 0