Which Branch of Christianity is Closest to Original Early Church?

PaxThroughX

With dead memories in my heart
Jan 27, 2012
America
✟16,168.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Scripture should be are only guide. I wish churches applied this to their religion. By studying scripture and applying it with full believe comes the holy spirit. Instead you have the gorge pastor begging for money and say connect with us, but deep down want to go golfing or whatever.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Scripture should be are only guide. I wish churches applied this to their religion. By studying scripture and applying it with full believe comes the holy spirit. Instead you have the gorge pastor begging for money and say connect with us, but deep down want to go golfing or whatever.

The Catholic Church has been doing just that-studying scripture and applying it with the help of the Holy Spirit-for 2000 years. Which is exactly why we are the Church Christ instituted.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What evidence do you have for the supposed 1000-1500 denominations as opposed to the 41,000 estimate in the CT article?

Why don't you take a read of 'The facts and stats on 33,000 denominations' from David Barrett's research. Barrett is a serious researcher and this link provides links to some of these denominations worldwide.

Oz
Actually, it's understated. It's possible that there are fewer named denominations, such as Baptist, Lutheran, etc. But everyone who deviates from the original meaning of Jesus' teaching is a denomination unto himself. How many varieties of Baptist are there, how many non-denominational churches are there, how come you can hear preaching in one church, not like it (as in "I'm not fed here") and go down the street to one that fits your world view better? The only meaning we can have is the one inspired by the Holy Spirit and passed on through the apostles and their successors.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2011
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
...The only meaning we can have is the one inspired by the Holy Spirit and passed on through the apostles and their successors.

All look at all the denomination as "pass me down" churches. With our billions and billions population the way it is now. we don't know who laid hands or passed down to another. I think it's silly for the Roman Catholics to tell me I can't have a church meeting in my home where I can perform baptism and communions and preach the Word. They say you gotta to a man with licenses and verified certifications from the ultimate company from Rome.

Thats just too silly.

The problem is that I can't ordain the RC to perform since they're not qualified. They must be free from traditions designed from unregenerate men thinking it's holy.

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

PaxThroughX

Jan 27, 2012
America
✟16,168.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The Catholic Church has been doing just that-studying scripture and applying it with the help of the Holy Spirit-for 2000 years. Which is exactly why we are the Church Christ instituted.

Actually the "Catholic" doctrine over time became corrupted. St. Augustine made a contributes to it however, before its fall.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Actually the "Catholic" doctrine over time became corrupted. St. Augustine made a contributes to it however, before its fall.

Well, one thing is for sure. You, me, or anyone could blindly say that the RCC is the only church Christ founded--or you could just as easily say that of the Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons, if you belonged to either of those--but there is NO sensible way to say that it is the same as or similar to the early church...

...which is what the question of the thread asked.

Upvote 0

PaxThroughX

Jan 27, 2012
America
✟16,168.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Well, one thing is for sure. You, me, or anyone could blindly say that the RCC is the only church Christ founded--or you could just as easily say that of the Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons, if you belonged to either of those--but there is NO sensible way to say that it is the same as or similar to the early church...

...which is what the question of the thread asked.

I see what your saying, but I wanted to ask a question which has some connection to the early church, is that wrong?

I am not saying if your a Catholic your going to hell or anything like that, but their main doctrine contradictes itself. Thats what I am saying, of course it wasnt like that before.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I see what your saying, but I wanted to ask a question which has some connection to the early church, is that wrong?

Nothing...except that you didn't ask your question in that post.

What I did was add onto the answer you had given to Jesse. It wasn't a criticism of your comments.

Upvote 0

true2theword

Nov 8, 2012
✟8,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hello all.

I'm very new to Christian history or anything outside the Anglican Church really. I was just wondering what modern day denomination, in your opinion, is closest to the early Christians in terms of what they believed and how they worshipped. I know a lot of denominations, including my own, claim to be Apostolic but some of these are very different indeed.

actually many of them carry an important piece but none of them look like what we see in the book of Acts, or in the later churches Paul started

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Getting back to the OP, what would be the denomination today that's closest to the early church?

It would have to be less structured and far less complicated.

But it would have to have a hierarchy of clergy because they are defined right there in the NT. And they were all men--fair and democratic or not.

The early Christians were pacifists because the government was out to get them. The question remains as to whether this was an essential of the faith or just a momentary POV...or does that matter to our question since it was a characteristic?

There were all kinds of legends of the saints, the Holy Family, and so on, but none of them were official doctrines, and of course nothing that concerns the end of Mary since she was still alive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I would say Mark 16:17-18 would be a good indication of who is closest to resembling the biblical church, If your not seeing the signs, your not in a biblical church

Considering that these verses are a late addition to the text, it's probably not prudent to make them the sole basis of authentic Church. Mark likely originally ended at verse 8, or else the original ending is lost to history.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I would say Mark 16:17-18 would be a good indication of who is closest to resembling the biblical church, If your not seeing the signs, your not in a biblical church
Are you saying that we should put God to the test? Drinking a known poison would be doing just that, and Scripture tells us we must not put God to the test...I agree with Via Crucis, not a good indication.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was just wondering what modern day denomination, in your opinion, is closest to the early Christians in terms of what they believed and how they worshipped.

Baptist.

Although baptist churches are not a denomination, they're a congregational family of churches.

:)

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The RCC is much too liberal and wordly for my taste.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lilly Owl

Since when is God's adversary a curse word here?
Dec 23, 2012
✟2,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello all.

I'm very new to Christian history or anything outside the Anglican Church really. I was just wondering what modern day denomination, in your opinion, is closest to the early Christians in terms of what they believed and how they worshipped. I know a lot of denominations, including my own, claim to be Apostolic but some of these are very different indeed.
Due to the research found here one might say the Nazarene are the closest.

Ebionites

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The parable of the mustard seed is a telling allegory of the way the Church grew. Only idealists can say that they want to get back to being the way the first Christians were. The Church Christ planted has grown. But Christ only instituted one Church. Catholics believe that all Trinitarian baptized Christians are part of that Church, but that the Catholic Church holds the complete body of Truth.

Upvote 0
B

barryatlake

Who is closest to resembling the biblical church? The One Church that can trace it's lineage directly back to Jesus and His Apostles.[ Eph.2:19 ].
Jesus founded only an Apostolic Church, ''only''.All other churches are man-made.
An unbroken line of Catholic bishops faithfully handling on what the apostles taught the first Christians in Scripture and oral Tradition [ 2 Tim.2;2 ]
Jesus assured the apostles and their successors, the popes and the bishops , " He who listens to you listens to me, and he who rejects you rejects me" [ Luke 10:16 ]
Jesus promised to guide His Church into all truths [ John 16:12-13 ] We can trust that Jesus knows what He is speaking about. Nowhere can we find where Jesus was to give His Authority to any future mere-man and woman to invent churches different from His Apostolic Church of [ Matt. 16:15-19 ].

Upvote 0