United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
radorth said:
Um, the Nobel Prize website says nothing about him inventing anything, feeding billions or spending his own money, in it's biography of him

http://nobelprize.org/peace/laureates/1970/borlaug-bio.html

Not that Numberprophet has any doubts about your reading material.

Criminy. What a bunch of nonsense. Well I learned a lot reading all these sites you failed to find in your favorite "freethinkers" library.

Rad

From the website you posted.

"To his scientific goal he soon added that of the practical humanitarian: arranging to put the new cereal strains into extensive production in order to feed the hungry people of the world - and thus providing, as he says, "a temporary success in man's war against hunger and deprivation," a breathing space in which to deal with the "Population Monster" and the subsequent environmental and social ills that too often lead to conflict between men and between nations. Statistics on the vast acreage planted with the new wheat and on the revolutionary yields harvested in Mexico, India, and Pakistan are given in the presentation speech by Mrs. Lionaes and in the Nobel lecture by Dr. Borlaug. Well advanced, also, is the use of the new wheat in six Latin American countries, six in the Near and Middle East, several in Africa."

Hmmm. Sounds like his work is responsible for the feeding of hundreds of millions, if not billions (since he won this prize in the 1970).

Give credit where it is due. Go Science!

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
More on St. Borlaug.

http://www.reason.com/0004/fe.rb.billions.shtml

BTW, here is a quote that indicates that St. Borlaug is a moderate.

Reason: Environmental activists often oppose road building. They say such roads will lead to the destruction of the rain forests or other wildernesses. What would you say to them?

Borlaug: These extremists who are living in great affluence...are saying that poor people shouldn't have roads. I would like to see them not just go out in the bush backpacking for a week but be forced to spend the rest of their lives out there and have their children raised out there. Let's see whether they'd have the same point of view then.

Reactions: Rae
Upvote 0

Lokmer

Jun 23, 2005
✟560.00
Faith
Humanist
Due to length restrictions, this reply will be in two parts:

radorth said:
You were honest enough to admit the problems in your church. How am I slandering you?

Perhaps this is a miscommunication. I wasn't saying a thing about my church or the one I was a member of before deconverting.

Let's see one to compare with Finney's, a simple request.

Again, compare with his in what sense? Finney's autobiography/testimony is quite a long read, what about him, his work, or his conversion impresses you particularly?

Really? They guarantee heaven without good works, meditation, working off karma?

Actually, yes they do. Buddhism promises it by achieving enlightenment, which is a state of mind rather than a program of works. The others all require just one thing, although it varies from tradition to tradition (for ancient mystery cults it was usually a baptism or initiation ceremony, for Hermeticism and neo-paganism [which is a rip-off of hermeticism and freemasonry], for Jainism it's filial commitment).

Any stories like that of the thief on the cross being saved? Any verses like "the just shall live by faith"? Any mention of imputed righteousness? Chapter and verse please

My interest here is in beating back your disingenuous bluster with some facts, I'm already citing events and providing the occasional link, I'm not about to trudge down to the storage unit and dig through all the pagan scriptures that have wound up there to make room for new research projects. Besides, with your continual moving of the goalposts I have no way to tell what you'll consider a valid citation ("chapter and verse" is a peculiarly western Christian concept of referencing documents, borrowed from the scribal conventions regarding the workds of Josephus and placed into the bible in approx the 10th-12th centuries to assist in ease of reference).

I was talking about private hospitals built by religions, not state hospitals.

Way to move the goal posts when you lose a point. Specificity is your friend.

BTW, did you know your poster boy Ingersoll predicted the humanists would out do the Christians in building private hospitals? Of course that was over 120 years ago and you haven't begun to fill his hot-air prophecy.

Ingersol couldn't have (and didn't) forsee the fundamentalist revolution in the early 20th century. 100 years ago, a far smaller percentage of this country was Christian than it is now, and a MUCH smaller percent was anti-secular; there was no reason to predict a reversal of that trend.

How, by the by, does this have any relevance to the topic at hand?

All stripes except Pasteur's Franciscan stripe. heh.

Pasteur got opposition even from within his own order. The fact of theological and moral opposition of Christianity to the work of Pasteur and others who worked on the same problem (Christians and not alike) has nothing to do with the faith or lack thereof of the individual scientist.

Another way of putting the issue: It took medical science in Christendom 1900 years to progress from tribal medicine (as they withheld even Galen and Hyppocrates from the public, on the rare occasion they actually preserved their works as did the Irish monks) to Lister and Pasteur (i.e. sterilization, thorough understanding of anatomy, successful surgeries, and drug therapy rather than fetishes, priestly witchcraft, and miracle cures). The Muslim world, at its height in the time of the crusades, had all of these things even without an understanding of germs, because their theology did not prohibit scientific inquiry (and, for the record, I'm no great lover of Islam for other reasons).

Heh. Yeah only Christians opposed their work.

You have documentation of prominent atheists, diests, or freethinkers opposing them? Put the snide sarcasm aside and show your evidence.

Funny they graduatd the first women from an American college, both white and black, but were against germ theory.

People can be enlightened on some scores and moronic on others. Moreover, it's already been pointed out to you what those degrees were *for.* Unless you are suggesting that the degrees obtained by the women were in a hard science or business arena, in which case I'd be delighted to read the records.

Ooh let's slander the leaders of the time and try the guilt by association tactic.

All Christians guilty by association with Nazis simply because the Nazis were Christians? Hardly. You started with this rehtorical lumping game using your sermon-like argumentation, I played along. You can't have it both ways, using the rules when you win and disclaiming them when you lose. Science must bear the blame for the atomic bomb as well as the credit for all the wonderful things it's enabled us to do. Islam bears the blame for the WTC and clitorectomies and all the barbarism it commits today, as well as the credit for preserving the books and knowledge of the ancient world that modern civilization is built on. Christianity justly deserves credit for maintaining some semblance of civilization and collective culture after the fall of Rome, as well as the blame that it richly earned by establishing a brutal anti-semetic theology that gave rise to centuries of religious wars and culminating in Nazi Germany. Darwinism deserves the credit it has earned for the understanding it's given us of our history and makeup, for the advantage it gives us in fighting disease, as well as the blame for its application as a philosphical pseudoscience of eugenics on a lot of ego and very little data (which led to all sorts of atrocities and aided the Nazis along their road as well).

You, however, seem to be interested in trumpeting Christianitie's triumphs, to the point of stealing from its idealogical neighbors, while completely ignoring its sins in order to comfort yourself that it really is better than everything else.

They sing hymns on the streets together after concerts, and deists like Ben Franklin say things like "it was wonderful to see. The whole world seemed to be turning religious." ?????

This is utterly nonsensical. Any good concert leaves people singing, some of them leave them singing hyms or adapted hymns because they were sung in the concert. A ridiculously flimsy criteria for changing one's faith: "who has better music that stays with you and inspires people?"

Ever heard of Bob Dylan (who, after all, didn't convert to Christianity until well past the zenith of his career).

Continued in next post
-Lokmer

Upvote 0

Lokmer

Jun 23, 2005
✟560.00
Faith
Humanist
Continued from previous post....
-----------
Fine then your complete failure to show anything but slander and generalize instead of providing specific examples/ facts is quite a mystery. Any luck finding an example to match the early Christians freeing their slaves 1900 years before Ingersoll started talking? (Which is about all he ever did)

Certainly. Freeing slaves was a common practice in ancient Rome. There was, in fact, an entire and very successful class of people of this stripe: Freedmen. They were often advisors to high state officials, including the emporers Claudius and Augustus, to name a few.

Read Suetonius, Tacitus, and Livy sometime.

I clearly said born again, NT savvy Christians. I don't blame the ignorant for not knowing what Jesus said and did.

I see the "no true scottsman" fallacy is out in full force today. Christians, you mean like 40-year slave traderslave ship captain John Newton who wrote "Amazing Grace" and didn't turn abolitionist until his fortune had been made? Ignorant non-new testament savvy christians like Jefferson Davis? Your contention is preposerous and betrays a thorough lack of knowledge of the history of the slave trade, its establishment, propogation, and respectibility by people of priestly and educated rank, believers of great erudition and spritual sophistocation. You are retrojecting your own post-enlightenment values onto the New Testament, where they never once appear. No writer in the new testament urges the freedom of slaves, except in one instance where Paul asks the Phillipian church (if memory serves) to receive a runaway slave as a free man. At every turn, both Jesus and Paul urge slaves to obey their masters, urge masters to beat slaves "none too harshly," and, 300 years after Stoics and Sophists were urging the end of slavery, never once mentioned that a slavery was a despicable institution.

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA! What self-serving nonsense that is. The Methodists and Quakers did all the work of actually hiding slaves and getting them north.

They did, huh? All the work? You obviously have not read the article I linked you to, which lists a good number of Unitarians, Diests, Quakers, and Freethinkers who lead and organized the abolitionist movement. Nowhere did I say that Methodists or other Christians had no part in it. However, they were not the moving force, and the opposing side was made up nearly exclusively of New Testament savvy sincere , "born-again" type Christians (and, if there was a Unitarian, atheist, or freethinker among them, I have yet to find it. Even the diest Jefferson, who held slaves, was opposed to the practice.)

Hardly an unbeliever. OK you found one, although even your assertion about his beliefs is tenuous.

Fredrick Douglas was not a unitarian, he was an atheist. His journals are quite clear on this point - - they are public record, you may read them for yourself. Unitarians as a group are the theology I was describing: a marginally Christian denomination that denies the diety of Christ and the trinity. Hardly qualifies with your attempts to narrow the definition of Christian to "born again" in order to eliminate the less savory strains of Christianity.

Yada yada yada. Adams and Franklin, hardly slave holders, denounced him and not just for those reasons. You should step out of the skeptics.org library and listen to the whole story some time.

Adams and Franklin denounced Paine for a number of reasons having nothing to do with slavery - that's beside the point, as the monuments were not erected until after those men were dead. Stop resorting to slander and stay on point. Prevarication and rehtorical dodges don't work on me.

Prove they (apartheid South Africans -- Lokmer) were born again or even claimed to be, and yo might have an argument. My premise was quite clear and you pitiful slander and guilt by association tactics in lieu of facts aren't fooling anybody but cynics I'm sure.

Your premise *was* quite clear: That Christianity is the source of all that is good and pure in the modern world. No Europoean Chrsitain until the mid 20th century ever (to my knowledge) publically claimed to be "born again" because the term is a peculiarly American one from the mid 19th century. Your criteria on this score are vapid, meaningless, and transparently self-serving.

Now, we could have a hearty debate (as do many historians) over exactly how much of the Apartheid establishment both preceeding and postdating the Boer war was honestly religious and how much was religious used as a cover for economics, but that's a different discussion entirely. The fact remains that the establishment in South Africa was founded on Dutch Reformed Protestant Christianity, that the charismatic, pentacostal, and evangelical church plants into the country up through the early 1990s all explicitly supported the apartheid regime. Christian opposition for apartheid came from within the ranks of black South African Christianity, from white atheist and humanist activists in the white establishment, and from western social gospel christians and secular liberals.

Oh sorry man. Wrong again The Stantons were converts of Charles Finney, the best known evangelist of his time, who supported suffrage with more thna his mouth.

Never once did I imply that Finney was anti-sufferage. While acknowledging contributions to women's rights from some arenas, I qualified with:
Lokmer said:
But, when we do, we should also point out that this is the same religion that opposed women's right to vote in both the U.S. and Britain, and also singlehandedly defeated the Equal Rights Amendment to the Constitution, insuring that women are still legally second class citizens, to this day, in America. Let's also not forget that this is the religion that legislated the "Rule of Thumb" during the 16th century, which stated that men may beat their wives so long as they used a stick no thicker than their thumb.

You are attempting to manufacture error where none exists. It's dishonest and embarassing.

You mean you can. I just asked you for some facts and all you can fiind is one example of one single Christian who didn't believe in the divinity of Christ. Big deal.

Wrong, I've produced a lot more than that.

Now, a lesson on logic...

If you insist that everyone who I name as a black mark on Christianity be a "Born-again, New Testament Savvy" Christian, and insist ad nauseum on those points, you cannot then go and claim that Unitarians (who deny both the trinity and the divninty of Christ) are Christians.

He fed a billion people himself at his own expense? Let's see an independent link to back that up and show he alone deserves the honor. My guess is that Christian missionaries are doing far more teaching people how to grow food. I personally know one who is doing just that.

More misrepresentations and demagoguerey. I did not say he fed a billion people at his own expense, I said:
Lokmer said:
Norman Bourlog, a freethinker, bears that honor, having saved more than a billion lives with his work, at his own expense, in poor countries. He won the nobel prize in the mid '70s and **invented** (by bioengineering and hybridization) most of the food you and other people around the world eat today.

In other words, he traveled at his own expense to places (beginning in Mexico, then moving to India and Africa and China) where famine was either a problem or a danger, engaged his research, and was then able to obtain grants and other things to keep going. The point of my statement was that he put his fortune and life on the line to help people in a major, long-lasting way, and that his efforts, according to the 1970 Nobel Prize commission, had saved over a billion lives **TO THAT DATE** (he's still working now, 35 years later).

BTW, mea culpa - it was 1970 he won the Nobel Prize in, not the mid 70s.

That's not true either. The Quakers were devout, literal, fundamentalist believers in the NT at that time, as were the Methodists. (They both later became more "liberal." Not)

I fail to see where Methodists come into the discussion, yet you keep bringing them up.

The Quakers, under their founder George Fox, were mystics and spritualists, believing that guidance comes from "the Inner Light" over and above scripture or tradition, encouraging and advocating mystical experience, and disclaiming baptism and doctrinaire salvation. As time went on, they grew more conservative and literalist. Regardless, you continue to commit the fallacy of retrojecting current values onto past circumstances.

The Quakers always have been liberal believers with an abstract ethicist approach to scripture. That what they were in the 18th century after pulling back from their roots a bit looks to us today like ultra fundamentalism speaks to the liberalization of culture with the intervening centuries, not the social realities at the time. The Quakers were, and remained, heretics and heterodox - - enough so that the evangelical revolution in the 70s has caused a sizable divide in their internal politics as well as major doctrinal disputes.

I never said "orthodox" Christians did anything right, did I?

You can't get away with moving the goalposts based on your own caprice. If you are indeed arguing along the lines of Peter L. Berger (The Heretical Imperative) that the truth is maintained and sought only by the heretics, you need to say so right out front, rather than hiding behind your screen of "born-again"ness

Well all you found was Douglas, a Christian who did not believe in the trinity (you claim). Can you prove he would have been so inspired without Christian teaching?

Douglass was an atheist and an escaped slave. Get your facts straight.

Your assertion that I prove he would have been so without Christian teaching is both laughable and idiotic - his every journal describes his contempt for the Christian teaching he did receive as a slave. It is very simple to prove that he would not have been so inspired without an education, as it was the mistake of a master's daughter teaching him to read that gave him access to the words of people like Jefferson and Franklin that gave him the courage to run away.

Yes I agree. Fred Douglas and wild claims about one man feeding a billion people at his own expense- vs Finney, the Stantons, Oberlin College, The Red Cross, the Christian Commission, twenty major Christian chatities, a thouand self-less missionaries, the YMCA, 500 private hospitals, the Quakers and the Methodists. (For starters)

Douglass (the name is spelled with two "s"s): Atheist
Bourlog: proven, despite your feeble attempt to mischaracterize my words
The Red Cross: Founded by Clara Barton, a Unitarian.
The Quakers: Heretics and agitators for secualrism from day one (despite their being devout believers after their own fashion).
Elizabeth Cady Stanton: I can't find a reference to her involvement with Finney, could you please provide one? Everything I can find on her indicates that she was anti-religious, but that her husband was a believer. However, if you can furnish evidence to your end, I will happily concede the point.

Other freethinkers, secularists, unitarians, and humanists from whom humanity has benefited substantially:
Albert Einstein
Susan B. Anthony
Thomas Edison
Charles Darwin (of special note, Darwin himself opposed racism and eugenics, even though his theory was advanced towards those ends by his brother and other followers)
Margret Sanger, atheist who helped establish the right of a woman to artificial birth control and started Planned Parenthood (was also, to her shame, a eugenicist and a rather nasty person, nevertheless the benefit she bequeathed is well worth noting)
Andrew Carnegie, atheist and philanthropist to educational causes
Sigmund Freud, who was desperately wrong about most things but nevertheless pioneered the study of psychology.
Adam Smith, who codified the economic philosophy of capitalism, which (despite its terrible crimes and abuses) has done more to better the living standards of more of the world's population than any other economic or social movement in history.
Judge Thomas Hartell, who introduced the first American law giving married women property rights in 1836
Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), diest (and later anti-theist) whose cultural contribution was primarily literary, but nonetheless greatly enriched the world by his presence.

I go by relative amounts of hot air.

In that case, do let me know when you next step into a baloon so that I may help clear the skies above you of any passing spacecraft.
-Lokmer

Upvote 0

Lokmer

Jun 23, 2005
✟560.00
Faith
Humanist
radorth said:

Christians being in the sciences has nothing to do with my very straightforward statement:
Lokmer said:
All modern medicine rests upon the secularization of government and the desacrilization of the body.

In fact, your link proves out my point, as most of the medical scientists cited in that article lived under secular governments (some, such as England, were secular in practice but not in fact) at times when the body was viewed as a legitimate subject for dissection and study (practiced banned throughout medieval Europe and in most Protestant countries until the mid 19th century, except for the occasional revocation of the ban in Holland and England in the 18th century. Such revocations did not last long).

More transparent demagoguerey.

-Lokmer

Upvote 0

spirit1st

Nov 13, 2005
✟16,374.00
Faith
Christian
JUDAS,GOT , de-conversion ,he is a good example of it.
You know few ever are born of GOD.
yes many are called,they go to church a while,but never know GOD AS FATHER or TEACHER!
But think they gave it a try!
The TRUTH IS?THEY WERE NEVER BORN OF GOD!
Had they been,They would never be happy with out HIm.Now some do backslide.And come back
As I have!
But we search all our lives for LOVE.And HE IS LOVE,pure and will no strings.
HE LOVE IS SO WONDERFUL.NO ONE ONCE HAVING IT.Will ever want to live without it!.
WE were made to love and be loved.
we see in marriages.people suffer many times.because this is the closest they get to giving and recieving love.It is NOTHING compared to the LOVE HE GIVES and we can then give HIm a little back.This is who we were made to be!
But we feel that spot deep in our heart is then filled by HIm.ONCE WE ARE BORN OF HIM!

Upvote 0

Lokmer

Jun 23, 2005
✟560.00
Faith
Humanist
radorth said:
What's hilarious is that I never mentioned advances in science or medicine in my challenge, but rather social and charitable causes. Lokmer quite transparently made it about that because he couldn't find anything else to compare. And then he simply quoted or made up wild claims which are now repudiated.

Look again - nothing was made up, everything is supported in my original statements. Further slander isn't going to get a rise out of me.

Social and charitable causes are not all you mentioned, as you well know and as anyone who reads your original post can see. You clearly introduced medicine and agriculture by mentioning hospitals and the feeding of hungry people. With the exception of my mention of Einstein in the most recent post, I have not mentioned any non-medical or non-agricultural scientists, I am staying within the perview of the original discussion.

The fact of the matter is that scientific inquiry, which was bridled by the constraints of doctrine for 1200 years and further inhibited for another 300 under Church rule have made economically possible the end of slavery, the extension of lifespans, the end of famine in developed nations and the work towards ending it in developing mations, and the control of population growth and consequent reduction in Malthusian economics. Further, the secular Constitution of the United States (the first in world history) written by a group of Diests, freethinkers, Unitarians, and Christians of various stripes, prevented the growth on this continent of the religious wars that have regularly soaked the soil of Europe in blood - - moreover, that Constitution established in law a secular mentality that has since been emulated the world over, to the great reduction of religious wars everywhere. If that isn't humanitarian, I don't know what would qualify. The greatest gift any human in power can give to any opressed human is freedom, and the Enlightenment thinkers (Christian and not) of our national foundation gave that gift to us directly, and to the world by example.

-Lokmer

Reactions: LibertyChic
Upvote 0

spirit1st

Nov 13, 2005
✟16,374.00
Faith
Christian
FREED is not allowing every evilon earth to take place,
This is the greater bondage!
As we are ,what we eat.Our eyes take in evil and after a time?most will become as the eviol they took in too there minds.T.V. is even now destorying millions and changing truth to a lie.Because people get brain washed easy.No,FREEDOM is not having evil forced upon us and our childern!
As we clearly see.The world is very evil.Every evil thing is taking place and many are dying ,because of evil!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

radorth

Contributor
Jul 29, 2003
LA area
Visit site
✟16,044.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Cat59 said:
I'm obviously doing a really bad job of explaining to you exactly what I am asking, as I think you have got hold of the wrong end of the stick.
The OP (and subsequent posters) spoke about about past beliefs and experiences that to them were very real but which some people have characterised as not being real conversion experiences. Because, the argument goes, if these people were really born again, they could not fall away. So they were never truly born again or converted or whatever word you want to use, in the first place.

Well we both have to try again I guess. I never said "you could not possibly be born again and leave the church or decide you were an atheist." That's possible, however, you cannot simply become something other than what you are. Do I become an engineer because I decide I am one? My argument is simply that you either were never born again OR you could have been and you still are, and no one can prove otherwise. All they can do is take it personally and whine about it I guess.

What I am asking is not about me, or anyone else on the thread.
I just want to know what you believe characterises someone who has been born again, so that you can say "This person will never fall away"

I never said a born again Christian can never fall away although I do believe God will get them back one way or another- probably when they get tired of feeding swine and want to say "Make me like one of your hired servants."

You can't know Jesus personally and not know him personally. At the very least a true convert who really knew the Bible and Jesus would still think of Jesus as a personal friend.

Don't "This person has a new nature" or whether that statement is impossible for anyone to say, even about themselves.

If they had one they would have talked about it when they were born again. If they can show me a bunch of stuff they wrote at the time, I might be able to say. Of course if they fell away, and say things like "I will never return," (like you sometimes hear here) that just shows me they never had much of a Christian life and have other issues.

Rad

Upvote 0

numberprophet

Qu'ils mangent de la brioche.
Aug 16, 2005
California
✟20,983.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
radorth said:
Then don't comment. it just shows you are a reactionary and don't care about sources really.
show me a source worth caring about and i might have something worthwhile to comment on.
as long as you persist in citing worthless biased evidence i'll continue making worthless biased comments.

Upvote 0

radorth

Contributor
Jul 29, 2003
LA area
Visit site
✟16,044.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Grizzly said:
From the website you posted.

"To his scientific goal he soon added that of the practical humanitarian: arranging to put the new cereal strains into extensive production in order to feed the hungry people of the world - and thus providing, as he says, "a temporary success in man's war against hunger and deprivation," a breathing space in which to deal with the "Population Monster" and the subsequent environmental and social ills that too often lead to conflict between men and between nations. Statistics on the vast acreage planted with the new wheat and on the revolutionary yields harvested in Mexico, India, and Pakistan are given in the presentation speech by Mrs. Lionaes and in the Nobel lecture by Dr. Borlaug. Well advanced, also, is the use of the new wheat in six Latin American countries, six in the Near and Middle East, several in Africa."

Hmmm. Sounds like

Sounds like? You mean you are now retracting your ridiculous assertions? And where does it say he invented anything? "Arranging to put new cereal strains into production" is not inventing them by any stretch. He worked for DuPont, and worked tirelessly out in the field apparently, and so he got the prize. That's not what you said. what you said is that he fed billions with his own money working all by himself. That's crap

And this from an atheist going around claiming to be objective?

Rad

Upvote 0

radorth

Contributor
Jul 29, 2003
LA area
Visit site
✟16,044.00
Faith
Non-Denom
numberprophet said:
show me a source worth caring about and i might have something worthwhile to comment on.
as long as you persist in citing worthless biased evidence i'll continue making worthless biased comments.

So the Oberlin and the Nobel Prize website won't do? And you won't read any of ten or more independent sources given in another of my links? What makes you think I have the time to waste?

Rad

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LibertyChic

Finally Free To Be Me
Dec 23, 2003
Texas, Baby!
Visit site
✟31,827.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
*in a/n (most probable, feeble) attempt to bring the topic back around to the OP....

So then Rad
If they had one they would have talked about it when they were born again. If they can show me a bunch of stuff they wrote at the time, I might be able to say. Of course if they fell away, and say things like "I will never return," (like you sometimes hear here) that just shows me they never had much of a Christian life and have other issues.
You almost admit that it's possible for a person to have truly been born again, but fall away, but then retract at the last moment. I think we are making progress.

Upvote 0

numberprophet

Aug 16, 2005
California
✟20,983.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
radorth said:
So the Oberlin and the Nobel Prize website won't do? And you won't read any of ten or more independent sources given in another of my links? What makes you think I have the time to waste?

Rad

nuthin', it's just fun giving you a hard time.

Upvote 0

numberprophet

Aug 16, 2005
California
✟20,983.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
radorth said:
For a minute I thought you were serious about something else, like knowing the truth of these matters. My mistake. :D
if i thought for a second you were interested in the truth of anything i'd probably die of shock.

Upvote 0

Lokmer

Jun 23, 2005
✟560.00
Faith
Humanist
radorth said:
Sounds like? You mean you are now retracting your ridiculous assertions?

Umm...no, I believe he's doing what people interested in such things call "providing supporting evidence."

And where does it say he invented anything? "Arranging to put new cereal strains into production" is not inventing them by any stretch.

Give it a rest. Just because you want to split hairs about whether hybridization and genetic engineering towards a humanitarian purpose is "inventing" or "developing" doesn't negate the fact that you have lost this point. Nor does your lack of willingness to read any more than a blurb or two on the man mean that you are justified in attempting to minimize his activities. Great humanitarians do not have to be self-aggrandizing publicity hounds. Bourlog, one of the greatest in history, is anything but one, which is why you haven't heard of him.

He worked for DuPont, and worked tirelessly out in the field apparently, and so he got the prize.

So...getting a paycheck for humanitarian work means it's tainted and suddenly non-moral? There are a lot of pastor friends I have that I should let know about this.

On that note, by the way, a mea culpa - upon double checking some of my facts I am no longer convinced that the first move to Mexico was on his own dime. It's a holdover from studying him in school over a decade ago, and I'm not finding supporting evidence at his foundation website, so it could be either a misremembering on my part or an error in the original textbook.

-----

But, again, none of this detracts from the point. You're right to point out errors and omissions, but piddly details such as this do nothing to further your contention that humanists have done nothing substantive for humanity (at least compared to Christianity).

And this from an atheist going around claiming to be objective?

This sounds depressingly familiar...
Ah, yes, of course:
"When the law is against you, argue the facts. When the facts are against you argue the law. When the facts and the law are both against you, abuse the opposing council." -Aphorism about the practices of trial lawyers

-Lokmer

Upvote 0