UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The universe was here before we got here and will be here long after we're gone, our short existence won't make a noise or leave a stain.

That is, of course, a hypothesis concerning the material universe which may or may not be true; but I'm not confident of any way in which to actually test the hypothesis, so it doesn't seem to me to have much more basis than any other untestable mythological statement. But I am able to reason (or, at least, attempt to reason) by experience, and I'm confident through self-experience and knowledge that consciousness is what constructs reality, and that there can be no reality without consciousness; leading to the conclusion that consciousness, in some singular form, must predate what we call the material universe and, in fact, be the cause of it.

The philosophy underlying your quoted hypothesis is that what we call the material universe is a kind of construct which is not manufactured by consciousness; as if there is some "rigid" form of "space-time" structure underlying the perceived universe. But I know from the self-experience of dreaming that this is not required. That is to say, when I dream, I exist as a conscious perceiver in a world that is completely a construct of consciousness: in dreams I move along planes, perceive geometry, handle solid objects, etc. and this proves that such a hypothesis of a "rigid" structure of reality which is not a product of consciousness but a "non-mind" construct is not only unnecessary (and as such should be dismissed until proven) but not the case.

So for your hypothesis to be even reasonably entertained (even then leading to an untestable hypothesis) it would be your burden to somehow demonstrate that such a material universe actually exists, to be able to exist prior to, or after, consciousness. But again, I don't believe you will be able to demonstrate such a concept is even to be regarded. Your task would be akin to demonstrating a "non-mind construct" underlying a dream (which construct I presume we both agree has no need of either existing or even being demonstrated).

In other words, if we both agree there is no material structure not created by consciousness necessary or even existing in a dream, then why would we hypothesize one necessary and existing in this reality? And exactly how would this hypothesis (which is counter to that which is self-evident) ever be demonstrated or tested in order to produce belief in this "material non-mind space-time" structure?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chriliman
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
... and I'm confident through self-experience and knowledge that consciousness is what constructs reality, and that there can be no reality without consciousness;
Have you ever dispersed a storm?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So god created mosquitoes for fish food, and to carry multiple diseases?
I seriously doubt it.

He may have ... knowing the Fall was going to occur.

But I doubt it.

Else what did they eat for a year?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Any of the other 949,999 other insects he created?
Since no animals died before the Flood, that would rule that out.

I can't imagine mosquitoes feeding off of Adam & Eve's blood, before the Fall, but it guess it would be plausible.

Of course, no diseases would be transmitted until after the Fall, since disease didn't exist.

The only other two things I can think of to explain it is:

1. Mosquitoes are the subspecies of a kind ... created during the Creation Week.

2. Mosquitoes were created by the fallen angels by experimentation; but then why did God allow them on the Ark?

Knowing when they first showed up would certainly help, wouldn't it?

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have you ever dispersed a storm?

My answer would be, not to my knowledge. But I would offer apologies in that I fail to comprehend the relevance of the question in regards to the demonstration of a hypothetical structure of the universe which is not the product of consciousness.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My answer would be, not to my knowledge. But I would offer apologies in that I fail to comprehend the relevance of the question in regards to the demonstration of a hypothetical structure of the universe which is not the product of consciousness.
Have you ever heard of those getting together and using their collective consciences to thwart an approaching storm by dispersing the clouds?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Since no animals died before the Flood, that would rule that out.

I can't imagine mosquitoes feeding off of Adam & Eve's blood, before the Fall, but it guess it would be plausible.

Of course, no diseases would be transmitted until after the Fall, since disease didn't exist.

The only other two things I can think of to explain it is:

1. Mosquitoes are the subspecies of a kind ... created during the Creation Week.

2. Mosquitoes were created by the fallen angels by experimentation; but then why did God allow them on the Ark?

Knowing when they first showed up would certainly help, wouldn't it?
Why don't you think god didn't pull the plug on the fallen angels mosquitoes project?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why don't you think god didn't pull the plug on the fallen angels mosquitoes project?
I'm sorry.

I don't understand your question.

You mean, why didn't God intervene and keep mosquitoes from being created in a fallen angel lab?

I don't know.

Why didn't God step in and keep Thalidomide or LSD or mustard gas from being created?

Or Darwin & Hitler from being born, for that matter.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry.

I don't understand your question.

You mean, why didn't God intervene and keep mosquitoes from being created in a fallen angel lab?

I don't know.

Why didn't God step in and keep Thalidomide or LSD or mustard gas from being created?

That's a good question. It's almost as if he doesn't even care.

• Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Herman Hedning

Hiking is fun
Mar 2, 2004
N 57° 44', E 12° 00'
Visit site
✟735,103.00
Faith
Humanist

Are you really putting Darwin and Hitler on equal footing? That's low even by your standards.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you really putting Darwin and Hitler on equal footing? That's low even by your standards.
You haven't been following my posts, have you?

Where were you when I claimed My Struggles is a sequel to The Preservation of Favoured Races?

Upvote 0