what books of the Bible do you recommend..

forGod1

Jul 29, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
✟9,232.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
to someone struggling to study the Bible? I'm interested, as much as I could hope for. I'm just scared of that book, it always speaks to me. I always end up knowing I'm going to hell and make no progress from there. I'm not "doomed", since I have breath in my lungs. I am Christian.. I just struggle to focus. That has something to do with my illness, but I can't let that stop me from devouring the Word. Tell me what are your favorite books? passages? What do you think I could do to keep focused?

Thir7ySev3n

Psalm 139
Sep 13, 2009
✟58,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In regards to your fear of condemnation for whatever reason, I would remind you of Paul's words in his letter to the Galatians:

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!" (Galatians 2:20-21)

But as with any good message on grace, there is also an appropriate reminder not to abuse that grace, as Paul also eloquently admonished:

"Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?" (Romans 2:24) And as Jude added: "For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord." (Jude 1:4)

If you have accepted Jesus as both your saviour and your Lord, then "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9)." Remember also to always "Cast all your anxiety on Him because he cares for you (1 Peter 5:7)."

Now, concerning your study recommendations, I would suggest the Gospel of Mark if you aren't personally familiar with the content of the Gospels (as it is concise and is written for a non-Jewish audience and clarifies certain concepts unfamiliar to Gentiles), or any other of the Gospels if you are relatively familiar. I myself prefer Luke because I enjoy his elaborate and technical writing style, and John for his more personal approach in providing an account for Jesus' life. Subsequent to that, I would recommend Romans and 1 and 2 Corinthians for the comprehensive doctrinal teachings. In the midst of all that, if you have some mental energy in reserve, I would throw in a chapter of Proverbs a day at the end of my self-assigned study for the simplistic yet captivating communication of godly wisdom and instruction.

Lastly, study at a pace that does not overwhelm you. If a chapter or two per day to start is necessary, go with that and allow yourself to warm up to the process of studying consitently so you do not become exhausted. Then, as you begin to develop the habit, perhaps you will be able to add more chapters to the point of beginning to lose yourself in the Scriptures on occasion. As you become more familiar with the Scriptures, you will find them to be increasingly delightful to understand and be equipped for every good work with (2 Timothy 3:17, Colossians 1:10, 2 Corinthians 9:8). Always seek to apply what you read and have learned and you will never forget it; Set in your mind the desire beforehand to conform your life to God's wisdom and teaching, and the Word will always be immediately relevant to you, and what is immediately relevant is rarely not adherent to your mind.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well gospel according to John will always speak to me, his emphasis is on the love of Christ, and even his letters always talk about this. He says 'perfect love casts out fear, for fear has torment'. When you read about what Jesus did in the gospel of John, all his acts and miracles were motivated by God's perfect love for us.

For wisdom, a good thing is to read Proverbs as theres 31 chapters so you can read a chapter a day.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
If you want to get to know Jesus, the Gospels are good for that, and I'd start with Luke because it is the easiest to understand. A book like John is very spiritual and abstract, and might make it harder to concentrate. But if you want to learn about one thing about God's character, First John is very focused on his great love. The whole book is about love and how it applies to you. When you are able to personalize his love, you can be much more confident in your salvation.

Upvote 0