Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is crazy to some but some say the KJV is hard to understand, I actually found it alot easier then the NIV

I know what you mean. Even if the NIV language is more modern, yet the effect of a sales catalog, rather than the vigorous English of the King James, is hardly to be preferred...! (My two cents', anyway.)

Blessings.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2013
Province of Ontario, Canada.
✟8,323.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Nord, I did not find Jesus until I was 28.. Better late then Never ;)

OSL, I was around 40 when I did! Praise be to Lord Jesus for saving me!
I knew I could have died five years ago, and gone to hell.

I wouldn't say I was ever an unbeliever. I just had very little knowledge
of Christianity growing up. I was somewhat agnostic at one point. I just didn't know if there was a god or not. Now I know with absolute certainty there is, and our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!

My mentality was like a lot of peoples. "I'm a nice enough guy. Why would God send me to hell?" I thought it would only be the worst of the worst to be going down there when they died. Now I know better.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OSL, I was around 40 when I did! Praise be to Lord Jesus for saving me!
I knew I could have died five years ago, and gone to hell.

I wouldn't say I was ever an unbeliever. I just had very little knowledge
of Christianity growing up. I was somewhat agnostic at one point. I just didn't know if there was a god or not. Now I know with absolute certainty there is, and our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!

My mentality was like a lot of peoples. "I'm a nice enough guy. Why would God send me to hell?" I thought it would only be the worst of the worst to be going down there when they died. Now I know better.

Well, we have the lamp of the Word to guide us! :) (Psalm 119.105)

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Vanguard PCD

Progressive Christian Deist
Jan 27, 2013
Alabama, USA
✟16,492.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Grew up on the KJV, but no longer use it. It has too many human errors in translation (not arguing about that fact).

I now use the NASB as my go to Bible, along with the YLT, HCSB and ESV for resources. Sometimes I cross reference with the OJB and CJB.

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Grew up on the KJV, but no longer use it. It has too many human errors in translation (not arguing about that fact).

I now use the NASB as my go to Bible, along with the YLT, HCSB and ESV for resources. Sometimes I cross reference with the OJB and CJB.

Just curious, god has said his word will be preserved..the whole word. Therefore, there must be a bible today that is the word of god which has no errors. So which bible is it?

I haven't found a single error or contradiction in the kjv. There are tons of errors/contradictions in the modern ones.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jax5434

Nov 27, 2007
✟31,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I love the KJV for its beautiful prose...."consider the Lilies they neither toil nor spin" ..But because the English language has evolved and we have better manuscripts available it is no longer a good study bible (in my opinion). For study i use the NIV and sometimes the amplified bible.

God Bless
Jax

Upvote 0

SeekerOfChrist94

Grandma ♡ June 26, 1942 - January 10, 2017 5:32 pm
Apr 21, 2013
Texas
✟54,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I grew up using the KJV. I still love it, but it can be very hard to understand. I also like the ESV and NIV. I just started reading the GNT and it's so easy to understand, I like it a lot.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In the English language I find KJV to be the best. My former Baptist Church has switched from KJV to using more NIV. The last pastor there before the current one actually believed staunchly that NIV is better. I think he may be right - I don't know - but that would be for most people who speak modern English.

For those who know Jacobean or Elizabethan language, it is a richer form of the English language than our modern English. So for those who have studied it and know it the KJV is much better. It has to be, the Jacobean English in which it is written is a better variation of the English language than our English today.

A good example of this is Shakespeare, whose writing is in Elizabethan language. The language itself helps keep Shakespeare's literature to be held in such high esteem amongst literary scholars (not to take away from the bard's brilliance). Having studied Shakespeare in some depth while in college I was able to become familiar with the language and this helped me appreciate and better understand the KJV version of the Bible. It is much better than NIV, but that's because I have a background by which I can understand it.

I think everyone who can should study Jacobean or Elizabethan English just to be able to read the KJV version of the Bible. And I think reading Shakespeare along with the Bible is the best way to learn it, not to mention you get the benefit of reading some of the greatest English literature of all time.

But most importantly, no matter what version a person prefers and uses, all Christians should have good references such as interlinear Greek/Hebrew Bibles and other references to help them be able to read and understand the original text. Thank God that in our modern day we have access to such resources online! However one does it, each of us is responsible to do our best to understand the Bible from its original form; whichever English version we choose should be used in the context of our continued in-depth study of the original texts of God's Word.

By the way, I also use an Armenian Bible, which has been called "The Queen of Translations" in that it is supposed to be the best or one of the best translations of any language. However, I am not very good at reading Armenian so I don't get the benefit as readily as I would from my KJV English Bible.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

I agree with you, the NIV is a terrible translation. The NASB, however, is an excellent one.

Yeah, the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek manuscripts. Translations into English will always be fallible. What about Spanish or Chinese speaking people? Do they have a 100% word of God without errors?? Or did God only preserve his word for those of us who speak English??

The Chinese folks have two choices - an old translation called the Union Bible which is outdated in mainland China because of major changes in the written language and a more recent translation. Both have serious translation problems. For Chinese people who also read English the NIV is the only English translation available on the mainland. You should pray for an accurate Chinese translation which will be accepted by the government church (which controls the printing presses) as well as the house church Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

standingtall

Such is life....
Jan 5, 2012
✟1,535.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Morse86, please answer my question.

Do Spanish and Chinese speaking people have a '100% word of God' or did God only preserve his word for English speakers?

And Morse86, while you're at it, tell us what version(s) the "100% preserved word of God" is for:

French speaking people
German speaking people
Italian speaking people
Russian speaking people
Japanese speaking people
Turkish speaking people
etc, etc, etc....

Or do you believe God preserved His word only for those of us who speak English?

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think the main problem is people read satanic bibles like the NIV and are deceived. Lordship salvation is nowhere in the REAL bible. Modern day "tv philosophers" use the NIV to make sure the deception is upheld.

lol So all that have come to Christ reading the NIV are not Christians? :doh:

The KJVO cult at is best. ^_^^_^

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟489,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Morse86, please answer my question.

Do Spanish and Chinese speaking people have a '100% word of God' or did God only preserve his word for English speakers?

Just to add if you do not mind....

What about people English speakers before the release of the KJV by the church of England??

Did they have the word?

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just to add if you do not mind....

What about people English speakers before the release of the KJV by the church of England??

Did they have the word?

Don't cha know that all the texts before Erasmus are corrupted? ;):D

Upvote 0