Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ecclesiastes 1:15
15 That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting cannot be numbered.

What are your thoughts on this verse? I have been seeing it a lot in the world and indeed even in the church. I noticed how you can try to teach on one subject and someone somewhere is going to disagree. The reason I believe this is the case is because the small amounts of false doctrine we allow and believe as truth infects everything.

Because of that people have twisted views that can not be made straight because the whole belief system is effected. You have to deal with the holes in the beliefs but there are so many that they can not be numbered.

I think of how Paul had learned and believed the doctrine of those in his day and how he had to unlearn it all and begin with the foundations.

Just my thoughts on this verse.

Last edited:

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's Ecc 1:15, not 2:15.

This section 1:12-18 deals with the vanity of wisdom. Its a warning to the wise and learned that some things can never be known or understood.

Thanks for sharing it because it is a real problem in the church and everywhere because we have become a society where we tend to assume that "experts" know everything and those experts assume that everyone else is ignorant. Just look at how we don't laugh at anyone who claims that "the science is settled". Science, by its very nature, is never settled. But, let someone claim to be an expert and quote a statistic and we all just assume that it's true.

Upvote 0

jbearnolimits

Pastor
Mar 13, 2014
Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's Ecc 1:15, not 2:15.

This section 1:12-18 deals with the vanity of wisdom. Its a warning to the wise and learned that some things can never be known or understood.

Thanks for sharing it because it is a real problem in the church and everywhere because we have become a society where we tend to assume that "experts" know everything and those experts assume that everyone else is ignorant. Just look at how we don't laugh at anyone who claims that "the science is settled". Science, by its very nature, is never settled. But, let someone claim to be an expert and quote a statistic and we all just assume that it's true.

Thanks for pointing out the typo. What you said is very true. We are hard headed. We don't believe the truth sometimes because no one else does. And then we sometimes get big heads and think that because we believe very strongly about something that we are right and no one else can prove us wrong.

I think that when Jesus spoke to those who knew the law and said "You error not knowing the scriptures or the power of God." He may as well have said it to all of us.

I do believe we can know the truth, but sometimes we have to be willing to unlearn what we think we know to get it.

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,568.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks for pointing out the typo. What you said is very true. We are hard headed. We don't believe the truth sometimes because no one else does. And then we sometimes get big heads and think that because we believe very strongly about something that we are right and no one else can prove us wrong.

I think that when Jesus spoke to those who knew the law and said "You error not knowing the scriptures or the power of God." He may as well have said it to all of us.

I do believe we can know the truth, but sometimes we have to be willing to unlearn what we think we know to get it.

Very profound and good observation. I came from a Methodist background, then found Christ through the Spirit drawing me to him, and he used many different teachers, I listened to all of them and thought I had it down pat, 100%. Then a few yrs. later Tribulation hit my life....and I met some pastor in the sticks of Indiana that had been born and raised in Jamaica....some kind of "holy roller" preacher weirdo....and I saw and heard things I had only read about in the bible, and it challenged me, humbled me and made me hungry to know the Truth. Sadly, I had believed doctrines that where not true, commandments of men that I thought were bible.....I had to admit I was wrong about a lot of things....that can be very difficult...Unless.....you fall in love with Jesus and his word says...."In the day you call onto me with all your heart, mind and soul....I will show you great and mighty things you knew not of." I still remember the day and place when I did that, asking the Lord to show me the Truth....

So with stopping there.....how many do that? It took me a few years growing in Christ to come to that point, Tribulation wrecking my life worked for good. So can we say perhaps if some christians only call on God with half their heart...then is God only required to show them only half.....? Could explain some things seen in some people.

For me I felt like a house built on Christ, but realized in my tribulations that the house wasn't complete, was lacking, some "carpenters" (pastors) had not done right construction, ....and being angry I decided in my mind, if you will, to destroy the entire house and start over, and in the vision in my mind and I started to run a bulldozer over it, and even digging up the foundation, I heard the Lords voice. "....not all of the house is bad, the foundation is sure, and not all the nails and boards used are bad.....take those things that are good and use them...." I realized that the foundation was Christ, salvation. And I would have to sort out what was right and good that I learned and keep those. But its a hard thing sometimes for people willing to admit they have been wrong about things, espicially if they have believed it all their lives. But to love Truth....it will set you free.

Upvote 0