what are the two great powerful lights in Gen 1:16?

two great lights

• sun and moon

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • sun and stars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • sun and something unknown

• all stars possibly a sun from another galaxy

• I don't know

• the north and south poles

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

davidbenephraim

Jul 25, 2012
✟10,334.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 1:16
What are the two GREAT lights mentioned in gen 1:16? I would consider these two lights as well as the stars to be natural light, since they divide the day from night, certainly celestial in nature. I also would consider these lights to bear the same nature or substance.

Shalom and good afternoon, I believe in letting Scripture interpret Scripture. To begin let's review. The passage to which you are referring is...

“Elohim made the two great lights, the greater light to govern the day, and the lesser light to govern the night; He made the stars also” — Genesis 1:16 (NASB)

If you will notice here, the Torah says one of these two great lights is greater than the other. The Torah also says here that the greater light governs or rules the day and the lesser light governs or rules the night. Here is where Scripture will interpret Scripture to answer your question for it is written...

“Give thanks to Yehovah, for He is good, For His lovingkindness is everlasting. Give thanks to….Him who made the great lights, For His lovingkindness is everlasting: The sun to rule by day, For His lovingkindness is everlasting, The moon and stars to rule by night, For His lovingkindness is everlasting” — Psalm 136:2 & 7-9 (NASB)

In my opinion, based upon what the Scripture says in both Genesis and the Psalms, the two great lights Elohim created on the fourth day of creation are the sun and the moon. As for the light on the first day of creation, I believe that is the spiritual light of the Messiah that Elohim revealed on account of the spiritual darkness (Hebrew "choshek") that was over the surface of the deep.

Baruch Hashem Adonai,
David ben Ephraim

Upvote 0

mercy1061

Nov 26, 2011
✟18,724.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Shalom and good afternoon, I believe in letting Scripture interpret Scripture. To begin let's review. The passage to which you are referring is...

“Elohim made the two great lights, the greater light to govern the day, and the lesser light to govern the night; He made the stars also” — Genesis 1:16 (NASB)

If you will notice here, the Torah says one of these two great lights is greater than the other. The Torah also says here that the greater light governs or rules the day and the lesser light governs or rules the night. Here is where Scripture will interpret Scripture to answer your question for it is written...

“Give thanks to Yehovah, for He is good, For His lovingkindness is everlasting. Give thanks to….Him who made the great lights, For His lovingkindness is everlasting: The sun to rule by day, For His lovingkindness is everlasting, The moon and stars to rule by night, For His lovingkindness is everlasting” — Psalm 136:2 & 7-9 (NASB)

In my opinion, based upon what the Scripture says in both Genesis and the Psalms, the two great lights Elohim created on the fourth day of creation are the sun and the moon. As for the light on the first day of creation, I believe that is the spiritual light of the Messiah that Elohim revealed on account of the spiritual darkness (Hebrew "choshek") that was over the surface of the deep.

Baruch Hashem Adonai,
David ben Ephraim
I appreciate the verse in psalms you provided, I do not consider the moon to be a star or light. The moon is a planetary satellite that orbits the earth. Genesis mentions two great lights , psalms mentions the moon and the stars, obviously we have here more than two powerful lights. The moon reflects light and the new moon is celebrated when the moon is dark. The full moon is not celebrated in the scriptures in fact it has an evil tradition among the gentiles, wearwolfe myth. I would consider the stars to be objects that give light to the earth, they have the same nature as the sun, the sun is a great star.

Reactions: Laureate
Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What are the two GREAT lights mentioned in gen 1:16? I would consider these two lights as well as the stars to be natural light, since they divide the day from night, certainly celestial in nature. I also would consider these lights to bear the same nature or substance.
God speaks only in parable: It is the sun and the moon, which understood spiritually (as God is spirit), is the God of Light, and the Price of Darkness (that cold dead orb whose light is a fraud).

Upvote 0

mercy1061

Nov 26, 2011
✟18,724.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
God speaks only in parable: It is the sun and the moon, which understood spiritually (as God is spirit), is the God of Light, and the Price of Darkness (that cold dead orb whose light is a fraud).
Is the moon a powerful light? Are you familiar with new moon festival?

Upvote 0

mercy1061

Nov 26, 2011
✟18,724.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
All power is of God.

No, not greatly familiar. Would you care to give your summation?
The new moon celebration occurs when the moon is dark each time it completes an orbit around the earth marking a new month. Genesis 1 mentions days, seasons, sign, token, years but no months, which is exactly the measure of time the moon is responsible. Why no months?

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The new moon celebration occurs when the moon is dark each time it completes an orbit around the earth marking a new month. Genesis 1 mentions days, seasons, sign, token, years but no months, which is exactly the measure of time the moon is responsible. Why no months?
That's fascinating! Do you mind elaborating on the reason for celebrating and on what you mean by "responsible?"

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I appreciate the verse in psalms you provided, I do not consider the moon to be a star or light. The moon is a planetary satellite that orbits the earth. Genesis mentions two great lights , psalms mentions the moon and the stars, obviously we have here more than two powerful lights. The moon reflects light and the new moon is celebrated when the moon is dark. The full moon is not celebrated in the scriptures in fact it has an evil tradition among the gentiles, wearwolfe myth. I would consider the stars to be objects that give light to the earth, they have the same nature as the sun, the sun is a great star.

Why do you think the moon is not a light, even though scripture says the moon is a light?

For example:

“And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭1:16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

We know there are 2 great lights simply from looking in the sky - the sun during the day, and the moon at night - And then you have the stars. Why would the moon NOT be one of the 2 great lights??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

davidbenephraim

Jul 25, 2012
✟10,334.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married

Shalom and good afternoon, in my opinion, you’re being way too literal in your understanding of the Scripture. The word “lights” as used in Genesis 1:14-16 is translated from the Hebrew “maor” with “meorah” being the feminine form of “maor”. Strong’s defines “maor/meorah” as a “luminary or luminous body”. Brown-Driver-Briggs defines “maor/meorah” as a “luminary” or “light”. The Ancient Hebrew Lexicon of the Bible defines “maor/meorah” as “Light: what gives off light”. I can access these three dictionaries/lexicons electronically by using the e-Sword program on my computer.

Anyway, a luminous body can be a source of light such as a star like our sun, or a luminous body can simply reflect the light of the sun like our moon. In fact, when we look up at the nighttime sky, the majority of the luminous bodies we see are stars but some luminous bodies we see are planets, and of course, the brightest luminous body we see at night is the moon.

I believe the Scriptural references to the two great luminous bodies in Genesis 1:16 is a reference to the brightness of the light that each one gives off. I also believe the references to these lights governing/ruling the sky (during their respective times) is a reference to the fact they give off the brightest light in the sky. In other words, the light that is given off by the sun and the moon is so bright that these two luminous bodies dominate the sky during their respective times.

While you think you are correct in pointing out that Psalm 136:9 says the “moon and the stars to rule by night”, the original question asked in this thread was “what are the two great lights in Genesis 1:16?” To which, I believe common sense dictates that Psalms 136:7-9 answers that question and tells us these two great lights or luminous bodies are in fact the sun and the moon.

The reason? Psalm 136:8 says it is the sun that rules or shines brightest dominating the daytime sky. Since the moon shines brightest at night common sense tells me that the other great light that rules the night or dominates the nighttime sky is in fact the moon. The only time the moon doesn’t dominate the nighttime sky is when the moon is going through it astronomical new moon phase at which time the moon can’t be seen from earth.

Baruch Hashem Adonai,

David ben Ephraim

Upvote 0

davidbenephraim

Jul 25, 2012
✟10,334.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Given the scripture you are referring to, where does that opinion come from?

Shalom and good afternoon, I used the words "in my opinion" so as to not come across so authoritatively that I would offend someone. I understand that sometimes people will be offended by the truth even when spoken in love. But, I see no reason in offending people just for the sake of offending. My opinion is based on the Scripture that I gave, but some will still see it as just my opinion nonetheless.

Baruch Hashem Adonai,

David ben Ephraim

Upvote 0

Laureate

whatisthebaytreeknown4? What's debate reknown for?
Jan 18, 2012
The big island of hawaii 19.5 in the ring of fire
✟58,771.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
two GREAT lights

I pulled an alternate translation from the Hebrew text years ago, and I got two axial poles for distributing the light instead of two great lights, as in north and south poles;

The light mentioned on day one is Lightning from the Voice of Elohym speaking;

When it reads, "...and he made the stars also..." that includes the Sun, because it is a star, and as you mentioned, the moon is not a luminary, it reflects light from the Sun (and earth);

I'll try to find (or reconstruct) that translation, I couldn't find it last night, I'll look again today;

Upvote 0

mercy1061

Nov 26, 2011
✟18,724.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
That's fascinating! Do you mind elaborating on the reason for celebrating and on what you mean by "responsible?"
The direct relationship between the earth and moon marks the new months or new moons, to which genesis 1, makes no mention. The creation account does not set in place the new moon celebration, it only mentions days, years, seasons, signs, which is time marked or measured by the direct relationship between the sun and the earth. However the moon is appointed to mark the seasons, but not the natural seasons.

Upvote 0

mercy1061

Nov 26, 2011
✟18,724.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think the moon is not a light, even though scripture says the moon is a light?

For example:

“And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭1:16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

We know there are 2 great lights simply from looking in the sky - the sun during the day, and the moon at night - And then you have the stars. Why would the moon NOT be one of the 2 great lights??
Where does the scripture say that the moon is a light? Let's be honest, the moon is not a star or light, but it has characteristics similar to a planetary satellite, we know stars are gases, they have no definite shape or volume. The moon has definite shape and volume. The sun and moon do not bear the same nature, the sun always gives light to the earth, the moon reflects the light given from the sun during certain times during the month. The moon is not a light, so it can never be considered a great powerful light. The moon is celebrated when it is dark, not reflecting any light. Now your psalms scripture mentions powerful lights, however genesis limit them to two, psalms and genesis mentions the moon and the stars in one breath. The promise given to Abraham likens the number of the children of Israel to the number of stars in heaven, not the moon. There are indeed 12 new moons in a year, Jacob had 12 sons, but at the time of the new moon festival, the moon is dark, not reflecting any light.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mercy1061

Nov 26, 2011
✟18,724.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Shalom and good afternoon, in my opinion, you’re being way too literal in your understanding of the Scripture. The word “lights” as used in Genesis 1:14-16 is translated from the Hebrew “maor” with “meorah” being the feminine form of “maor”. Strong’s defines “maor/meorah” as a “luminary or luminous body”. Brown-Driver-Briggs defines “maor/meorah” as a “luminary” or “light”. The Ancient Hebrew Lexicon of the Bible defines “maor/meorah” as “Light: what gives off light”. I can access these three dictionaries/lexicons electronically by using the e-Sword program on my computer.

Anyway, a luminous body can be a source of light such as a star like our sun, or a luminous body can simply reflect the light of the sun like our moon. In fact, when we look up at the nighttime sky, the majority of the luminous bodies we see are stars but some luminous bodies we see are planets, and of course, the brightest luminous body we see at night is the moon.

I believe the Scriptural references to the two great luminous bodies in Genesis 1:16 is a reference to the brightness of the light that each one gives off. I also believe the references to these lights governing/ruling the sky (during their respective times) is a reference to the fact they give off the brightest light in the sky. In other words, the light that is given off by the sun and the moon is so bright that these two luminous bodies dominate the sky during their respective times.

While you think you are correct in pointing out that Psalm 136:9 says the “moon and the stars to rule by night”, the original question asked in this thread was “what are the two great lights in Genesis 1:16?” To which, I believe common sense dictates that Psalms 136:7-9 answers that question and tells us these two great lights or luminous bodies are in fact the sun and the moon.

The reason? Psalm 136:8 says it is the sun that rules or shines brightest dominating the daytime sky. Since the moon shines brightest at night common sense tells me that the other great light that rules the night or dominates the nighttime sky is in fact the moon. The only time the moon doesn’t dominate the nighttime sky is when the moon is going through it astronomical new moon phase at which time the moon can’t be seen from earth.

Baruch Hashem Adonai,

David ben Ephraim
The moon is not always reflecting light, in fact, are you familiar with the new moon festival? At the north pole, there is no time zone, sunrise and sunset occurs only once a year, perhaps one day in one year. The two powerful lights could be the north and south poles, where the length of daylight is much greater.

Upvote 0

mercy1061

Nov 26, 2011
✟18,724.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
two GREAT lights

I pulled an alternate translation from the Hebrew text years ago, and I got two axial poles for distributing the light instead of two great lights, as in north and south poles;

The light mentioned on day one is Lightning from the Voice of Elohym speaking;

When it reads, "...and he made the stars also..." that includes the Sun, because it is a star, and as you mentioned, the moon is not a luminary, it reflects light from the Sun (and earth);

I'll try to find (or reconstruct) that translation, I couldn't find it last night, I'll look again today;
Excellent! Please provide more information so we can all learn.

Upvote 0

mercy1061

Nov 26, 2011
✟18,724.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

Baruch Hashem Adonai,

David ben Ephraim
The. moon is not a source of light or luminous body. The stars are celestial in nature, the earth is terrestrial in nature .

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic

Baruch Hashem Adonai,
David ben Ephraim

Hi,

Only your last sentence prevented me from being able to press the like button.

Only one other sentence was even remotely missing anything.

Is it not possible, according to your wonderful work, that the lesser light to rule the night is the stars and the moon?

I have always taken the lesser light, thinking little, as being only the moon.

Your words seem to make more sense, Biblically, to be both the stars and the moon now.

When the moon is not seen for most of the nights, where are the lesser lights to rule the night?

Also, please. When God said: Let there be light, is it not possible that He also was light that was seen?

Is He not possibly the light before the sun and the stars and the moon came to be?

Is He not possibly, the light before, that illuminated the earth?

If it is so, then that which faces Him, is day, and that which is away is night.

Only rotation. Only rotation of the earth, with no land mass above the mile or more thick waters yet. Only rotation would then result in a night and a day.

That earth, originally set on nothing, might have been rotating then.

LOVE,

Upvote 0