1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the Top 10 Cults in the United States and/or the World?

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by sk8brdkd, Apr 10, 2011.

1. sk8brdkd

sk8brdkd Audio A Sk8er

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    I was talking w/ a friend not too long ago about different cults that are in this world and we were having disagreements about some we thought were cults and what may just be religions. But, i guess some religions could be cults like Satanism -- worshiping Satan through killing things which to me is similar to Witchcraft. But, now after discussing this w/ one of my friends, I'm just curious what you may think may be the top 10 cults either in the united states and/or in the world. The biggest one the both of us thought of was the KKK. But, I'd just like to hear from the rest of you what you think some of them are please?

Also, How can we as Christians minister or serve those who are involved in all these different cults?

2. freezerman2000

freezerman2000 What a long,strange trip it's been! Angels Team CF Ambassador

Faith:
    Christian
  3. SoldierOfSoul

SoldierOfSoul Senior Veteran

Faith:
    Christian
    The "biggest" are probably Mormonism and Jehovah's Witness, the KKK is not even close, with only about 10000 members currently, the Nation of Islam is also a huge cult in America with its leader Louis Farrakhan.

seashale76 likes this.
  4. lovernotafighter

lovernotafighter Liberal :)

Faith:
    Christian
    Some people consider RC's a cult. So I suppose that would put them on top, depending on your POV

5. sk8brdkd

sk8brdkd Audio A Sk8er

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    RC's?? would u mind giving the full name of that bc right now, i can't think of what that may stand for?

6. BlueJay83

BlueJay83 sursum peragemus

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Rossicurians I believe ?

it's a secret society much like the Free Masons (I would put the FM's at the top)

they are much bigger and influential than what we all believe....

7. lovernotafighter

lovernotafighter Liberal :)

Faith:
    Christian
    Roman Catholic

8. It is hard to place names on "cults" because they come and go. Things Change.
    Also we would need a common definition of "cult" are we talking splinter group, more of an anthropological definition? or more of a Bob Larson definition which is "any group who does not believe exactly as I do" ? Are you talking about groups with a known track record of being "destructive"? such as the Unification Church or Scientology?
    Or something that is really quite benevolent but does not fit in with traditional society, like Paramahansa Yogananda or Ba'Hai ? Thanks

9. sk8brdkd

sk8brdkd Audio A Sk8er

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Well, when i was talking w/ one of my friends about cults, we were discussing cults like the KKK or i considered that a cult and others of that nature. I wasn't necessarily referring to roman catholics or anything like that.

10. SoundCard

SoundCard Guest

Publisher's Clearing House is a shady organization if I've ever seen one-oh wait, no, that's just advertising.

11. Spiritlight

Spiritlight Ended

Faith:
    Christian
    let me think- the top organizations brainwashing people into following them religiously-

1.Hollywood
    2.Microsoft
    3. Apple
    4. Sports- worshiping and exalting sporting idols.
    5. other media.

I am not joking about Micro$oft and Apple they are 2 religions of sorts. Try asking someone which is better, and watch the religious debate begin.

CULT defn.
    a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
    2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.

3.the object of such devotion.

4.a group or sect bound together by veneration of same thing, person, ideal, etc.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  12. Reverend DeMarr

Reverend DeMarr Ordained Minister

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    I'm surprised to see so many people list Freemasonry as a cult at all, much less one of the top ones... o_0

13. Forealzchola

Forealzchola Contributor

Faith:
    Pentecostal
    This information can be googled but as some have listed...scientology, jehovah witness aka the watch tower society, rev sun moon's group, the nation of islam

We can witness to these types of people but they have been through tons of psychological damage and manipulation that with God and the aide of counseling one will have to come out of especially the cults that have high levels of mental, emotional and physical abuse in them.

14. mannysee

mannysee Guest

^
    And now the NOI is in bed with Scientology (ahem Dianetics).
    Hoo Boy! :eek:

15. heron

heron Legend

Faith:
    Christian
    And yet, if they invited us into their inner circle, we would willingly sign our names.

I think of major religions as longstanding belief systems that have a comfort level; where cults pull and manipulate. It really depends how we are defining it, but cults tend to sap people of autonomy and external support systems.

16. wayfaring man

wayfaring man Veteran

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Some time ago there was some media attention towards cults and some organization for hire that, for a fee would try to "rescue and deprogram cult victims".

Early "Christians" were considered to be a "cult", when compared to those religious groups more established as being already recognizable to society at large.

So sometimes being/seeming "new", is enough to be regarded as a cult.

But in many cases, what is regarded as a cult, is something rather diabolical, especially to those who get "suckered" into it.

Preventative medicine is often the best kind, but for those already infected, prayer + fasting may enable the "spell be broken".

Basically, with the exception of Jesus Himself, any time folks start looking rather exclusively to a man/woman, for "the religious/spiritual answer", it allows for, or promotes a "cult following".

Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of? <-----> Isaiah 2:22

Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness. <-----> Psalm 29:2

May The Lord Be Magnified !

wm

17. jhuddle3

jhuddle3 Guest

insights into controlling religious cults- using mind control and such found here: religiouscultsinfodotcom
    The larger ones have more material written about them. It is the smaller groups that trip up many or is that "trick" many..

18. EphesiaNZ

EphesiaNZ Been there, done that - too wise to do it again!

Faith:
    Christian
    I would add Exclusive Brethren to the cult list.