What are the different theological interpretations of glossolalia?

C

Colfax

I know that there is considerable diversity within Pentecostalism. I'm curious, though, about how much difference of opinion there is over the issue of speaking in tongues. Could someone enlighten me about this? Are there some good books on the subject? Are tongues mandatory for all Pentecostals? Can one be saved and not speak in tongues?

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In Short, "Pentecostals" DO NOT require one to speak in tongues to be "Saved" - EXCEPT for the Oneness Pentecostal groups (like the UPCI who teach that if you WEREN'T baptized in the name of Jesus only, you're TOAST, and if you haven't spoken in tongues, you're TOAST even if you were baptized "Properly").

You might check the Assemblies of God (USA) Official Web Site site for written materials from the Largest Pentecostal Denomination.

The most common teaching is that "Tongues, are the Initial evidence" of having received the "Baptism in the Holy Spirit". Charismatics tend to NOT be as insistent about the "Tongues as Initial Evidence" thing.

Upvote 0

FuegoPentecostes

Apr 26, 2012
Connecticut
✟15,505.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I know a few different views on speaking in tounges, so I'll tell you what I know at least. The majority of Pentecostals believe that speaking in tounges is an (or for some, THE) evidence for the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. This is a baptism that is not necessary for salvation, yet it is an encouraged experience for believers. Most Pentecostals believe the Holy Spirit automatically resides in someone as soon as they convert to Christ, but that the actual Baptism of the Spirit is a separate event that marks a deeper intimacy and closeness with God. Many people describe feeling revived after such an experience, with the desire to testify and witness (much like the disciples when they received the Holy Spirit on Pentecost). The United Pentecostal Church has probably the most unorthodox and, frankly, wrong idea of tounges. They believe that tounges is a necessity to get into heaven, along with baptism in Jesus name. They deny the trinity and . . . well yeah, they've got some issues. Anyways, the way some churches handle tounges is also different among some Pentecostal groups. Some believe tounges should only be spoken in church if there is interpretation, and that otherwise tounges should only be spoken in private. The majority of Pentecostals, however, (at least I think) encourage speaking in tounges during praise and worship in a service if felt led to by the Spirit. I don't know of any books on the subject, I'm sorry. And to answer your last question, yes, someone can be saved and not speak in tounges. But it is my personal belief that that is because they do not seek it. We are saved through grace by faith in Jesus Christ, and speaking in tounges is again part of that baptism in the Holy Spirit not necessary for salvation. So, not every Christian has to speak in tounges (even though they are truly saved), however I believe the Scripture makes it clear that every Christian CAN. Jesus said if we ask God for the Holy Spirit, He's not going to give us something bad in return. He will give us the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know that there is considerable diversity within Pentecostalism. I'm curious, though, about how much difference of opinion there is over the issue of speaking in tongues. Could someone enlighten me about this? Are there some good books on the subject? Are tongues mandatory for all Pentecostals? Can one be saved and not speak in tongues?

sideline topic -

i enjoyed the little report on the study done on brain wave patterns in the area (frontal center lobe)that is activated to stimulate speech ...

studies showed activity in this area of the brain lessens while speaking in tongues .when one spoke in tongues on demand it lessened a little.
while when one sang and prayed and,then, worshiped in tongues as they felt "moved" to do so .. the part of the brain which stimulates speech lessened a whole lot .

this only proves that tongues is not "of the mind" as the mind is actually disengaging ..It is not a carnal (fleshly mind ) act .

this was also of interest a when the same studies were done on nuns praying in recital rosary or the like .. the speech center of the brain had a higher rate of activity) it only goes to show tongues is something that they are not able to explain ..how can one "speak" and yet the carnal brain be less involves in making that "speech " happen ?

the same result of higher frontal lobe(carnal mind ) activity was found in monks meditation with their "om" sound .

it also goes to show if some one is acting like they speak in tongues ;) we can test them ..lol

Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Fuego did an excellent job in explanation. I was raised in the Assemblies of God for 28 years and would like to offer my perspective:

--You have the HS when you are saved. You may seek an empowering further of the HS subsequently that is empowering and for me was sealing of my relationship with Him. Received the infilling at age 15 and it seemed like an infusion of all fruit of the HS.

Uses of tongues

To praise God(I even do this quietly in my Nazarene church)
To give a message in church which is interpeted
To pray to God over a deep need
Toward God in exuberance over met prayers or joy

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

ltwin

May 17, 2012
SC
✟8,144.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I'm curious, though, about how much difference of opinion there is over the issue of speaking in tongues. Could someone enlighten me about this?

Officially, classical Pentecostals (which excludes charismatic Christians) all believe that speaking in tongues is the "initial physical evidence" of the baptism in the Holy Spirit. A simple definition of what Pentecostals mean by "baptism in the Holy Spirit" is found in the Assemblies of God's Fundamental Truths:

. . . With it comes the enduement of power for life and service, the bestowment of the gifts and their uses in the work of the ministry . . .

With the baptism in the Holy Spirit come such experiences as:

an overflowing fullness of the Spirit, John 7:37-39, Acts 4:8
a deepened reverence for God, Acts 2:43, Hebrews 12:28
an intensified consecration to God and dedication to His work, Acts 2:42
and a more active love for Christ, for His Word and for the lost, Mark 16:20

Notice that Spirit baptism is NOT the same thing as salvation or the new birth.

Are there some good books on the subject?

Assemblies of God scholar Anthony D. Palma has written an overview of Pentecostal pneumatology (the doctrine of the Holy Spirit) that includes Pentecostal views on baptism in the Holy Spirit and the spiritual gifts. It is academic in style, so if you're not into reading heavily theological works, this might not be for you. The Holy Spirit: A Pentecostal Perspective (2008).

Jack Hayford writes in a more devotional style that would probably be more accessible to most readers. See The Beauty Of Spiritual Language and Baptism with the Holy Spirit.

Are tongues mandatory for all Pentecostals?

No. In fact, glossolalia is not the most common practice shared among Pentecostals (as weird as that may sound). A Pew Forum study of Pentecostals in 10 countries found the following:

Percent of Pentecostals saying they speak or pray in tongues . . .

Country
Weekly
Never
US
33%​
49%​
Brazil
29​
50​
Chile
25​
45​
South Africa
38​
41​
India
41​
54​
Philippines
34​
45​

(Spirit and Power: A 10-Country Survey of Pentecostals, The Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, October 2006, p. 17)

Can one be saved and not speak in tongues?

Of course. Pentecostals believe, "Salvation is received through repentance toward God and faith toward the Lord Jesus Christ" (as the AG's Fundamental Truth's put it). The Fundamental Truths go on to say:

The inward evidence of salvation is the direct witness of the Spirit. (Romans 8:16) The outward evidence to all men is a life of righteousness and true holiness. (Ephesians 4:24; Titus 2:12)

Notice that tongues is not one of the evidences of the salvation.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Officially, classical Pentecostals (which excludes charismatic Christians) all believe that speaking in tongues is the "initial physical evidence" of the baptism in the Holy Spirit. A simple definition of what Pentecostals mean by "baptism in the Holy Spirit" is found in the Assemblies of God's Fundamental Truths:

. . . With it comes the enduement of power for life and service, the bestowment of the gifts and their uses in the work of the ministry . . .

With the baptism in the Holy Spirit come such experiences as:

an overflowing fullness of the Spirit, John 7:37-39, Acts 4:8
a deepened reverence for God, Acts 2:43, Hebrews 12:28
an intensified consecration to God and dedication to His work, Acts 2:42
and a more active love for Christ, for His Word and for the lost, Mark 16:20

Notice that Spirit baptism is NOT the same thing as salvation or the new birth.

Assemblies of God scholar Anthony D. Palma has written an overview of Pentecostal pneumatology (the doctrine of the Holy Spirit) that includes Pentecostal views on baptism in the Holy Spirit and the spiritual gifts. It is academic in style, so if you're not into reading heavily theological works, this might not be for you. The Holy Spirit: A Pentecostal Perspective (2008).

Jack Hayford writes in a more devotional style that would probably be more accessible to most readers. See The Beauty Of Spiritual Language and Baptism with the Holy Spirit.

No. In fact, glossolalia is not the most common practice shared among Pentecostals (as weird as that may sound). A Pew Forum study of Pentecostals in 10 countries found the following:

Percent of Pentecostals saying they speak or pray in tongues . . .

Country
Weekly
Never
US
33%​
49%​
Brazil
29​
50​
Chile
25​
45​
South Africa
38​
41​
India
41​
54​
Philippines
34​
45​

(Spirit and Power: A 10-Country Survey of Pentecostals, The Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, October 2006, p. 17)

Of course. Pentecostals believe, "Salvation is received through repentance toward God and faith toward the Lord Jesus Christ" (as the AG's Fundamental Truth's put it). The Fundamental Truths go on to say:

The inward evidence of salvation is the direct witness of the Spirit. (Romans 8:16) The outward evidence to all men is a life of righteousness and true holiness. (Ephesians 4:24; Titus 2:12)

Notice that tongues is not one of the evidences of the salvation.

nicely presented and well referenced :)

Upvote 0
S

StanJ

I can only speak for those I know, which is PAOC (in the U.S. they are AOG) and Foursquare. Both advocate speaking in tongues and both say it is the INITIAL evidence of the infilling of the Holy Spirit. This was MY experience some 43 years ago. Salvation is separate from receiving the infilling of the Holy Spirit as was evidenced in Acts 19:1-7. These men were believers but had NOT received the Holy Spirit until they met Paul.
Sorry I don't know of any books on the subject, except the Bible.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,996.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I Cor 12:28 "And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues."

Purposes include self edification and church edification.
-Self edification some refer to as prayer language (I Cor 14:4 "He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself;...")
-Message to the church (I Cor 14:27-28 " If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God."). But there are more reasons. One resource could be "Seventy Reasons to Speak in Tongues" by Bill Hamon.

This gift, speaking in tongues, is available to any believer. If you look at the groups that received tongues in Scripture, it states "all" received with one exception. On the Day of Pentecost, not in the Upper Room, where there were mockers of tongues not every believer received. (Acts 2:4,13; 4:31; 10:44; 19:2).

Last edited:
Upvote 0