Wesley's Parish Fellowship ASA Thread (7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maid Marie

Zechariah 4:6
Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
Thanks, I'm in the University Gospel Choir, and we're off on our annual 'tour'. So am going to the other side of the country to the Lake District (one of the more spectacular of our national parks) to give several concerts (one of which will be in the remarkable named 'Sandylands Methodist Church). Should be good.

Hope you have a great weekend too :)

That sounds like fun.

Easter is around the corner. Hard to imagine.

Upvote 0

Maid Marie

Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
Thanks all. We had a great time. Although, we had some great weather, shorts and sunglasses weather, one of the hottest first few days of April, and today I wake up and there's snow. Crazy times!

Oh, I know!

Glad you had a good time.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks all. We had a great time. Although, we had some great weather, shorts and sunglasses weather, one of the hottest first few days of April, and today I wake up and there's snow. Crazy times!

It is starting to get too hot here :doh: I never liked Florida weather

Upvote 0

Maid Marie

Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
We had a wonderfully blessed Easter service! Our visiting chaplain was very Wesleyan in message, and very inspired & inspiring.
I had a beautiful service at a city Episcopalian church today. They sang the Easter Hymns with joy and passion and kept saying "Alleluia! He is Risen!!!!" over and over. When I left, I felt like I had celebrated Easter :liturgy:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Easter service this morning was great at my church this morning, followed by a breakfast with my mom. Every member put a flower in the cross in front of the altar (Fake but pretty) and I took a picture with my camera and brought two home for souvenirs.

Upvote 0

GraceSeeker

Jul 2, 2007
USA
✟17,297.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
So many great times of worship this past week:

In conjunction with another UMC congregation our men (and theirs) put on a "Living Last Supper" sharing the supposed thoughts of the disciples as they froze in the poses of DaVinci's famous painting.

Community Good Friday service.

Saturday the kids rehearsed for their part fo the Easter Sunday service and had a party complete with both egg hunt and pizza. What a combination.

Sunday I really enjoyed and heard good comments back from our SONrise service. We don't have to capabilty to use video media upstairs in the sanctuary. So, for this service, I hold it in the fellowship hall and try to bring in some things I can't the rest of the year.

Everyone loved the children's part in the main Easter service. Though I have to admit to it throwing me a major curve. They were only supposed to have taken 10 minutes. By the time I rose to read the Gospel lesson and deliver the sermon, we had already been in worship an hour. I had to basically scrap my prepared sermon, and what I did deliver wasn't near what I would have hoped for given the nature of a Sunday with people attending who often don't make it to church regularly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟671,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Easter service this morning was great at my church this morning, followed by a breakfast with my mom. Every member put a flower in the cross in front of the altar (Fake but pretty) and I took a picture with my camera and brought two home for souvenirs.

That sounds wonderful. I love it when we have a particular moving and meaningful service. It really lets me face my whole week with a better attitude.

Upvote 0

Maid Marie

Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
Philosopy and Christian Ethics class is done. Now, I am taking Pauline Epistles and Global Evangelism. It is nice to be in classes where I know what is going on again. :) I am also taking Preaching II directed study. Thankfully, in that class I am 'getting a clue'.

From one of my texts, I just read that Saul of Tarsus' possible Roman name could have been either Gaius Julius Paulus, Marcus Antonius Paulus or L. Aemilius Paulus. That's another piece of mental flotsam running around in my memory banks for posterity.

Upvote 0

GraceSeeker

Jul 2, 2007
USA
✟17,297.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
From one of my texts, I just read that Saul of Tarsus' possible Roman name could have been either Gaius Julius Paulus, Marcus Antonius Paulus or L. Aemilius Paulus. That's another piece of mental flotsam running around in my memory banks for posterity.

That's interesting, but I wonder how they arrive at that? All we know from scripture is that we can observe when he is in a Hebrew-speaking culture Luke calls him Saul, and when he is in a Greek-speaking culture Luke calls him Paul, and he calls himself Paul when writing to Greek-speaking churches. (And, btw, even the church in Rome was probably Greek-speaking, not Latin.)

Upvote 0

Maid Marie

Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
That's interesting, but I wonder how they arrive at that? All we know from scripture is that we can observe when he is in a Hebrew-speaking culture Luke calls him Saul, and when he is in a Greek-speaking culture Luke calls him Paul, and he calls himself Paul when writing to Greek-speaking churches. (And, btw, even the church in Rome was probably Greek-speaking, not Latin.)

As one who was a Roman Citizen by birth, he would have had three names. the first name is the praenomen [which was a formal name]. The second was the nomen which was the tribe one belonged to. The nomen could be one's own tribe or the tribe of one's patron. The third name was the cognomen. This would be equivalent of our first name. Paul is a Latin name. Even though he used Greek, he was still influenced by Roman/Latin.

Tarsus where he was born, had at some point patrons such as Julius Ceasar or Marc Antony. If his family got their citizenship from either of these two and thus took on the names of their patrons, then they'd pick either Gaius Julius Paulus or Marcus Antonius Paulus, or the like [if someone else had been the patron to grant citizenship]. Or, some have noticed that a local tribe in Tarsus called the Aemilius tribe had a lot of Paulus in it. So he could have had as his name L. Aemilius Paulus. The book doesn't explain the L.

The book is "Paul and his letters" by John Polhill.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.