Wesley's Parish Fellowship ASA Thread (7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelco

Rev. Kelco
Feb 28, 2002
Mathias WV
Visit site
✟29,098.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
:clap:Congratulations:clap:

Really happy for you. You certainly deserve it :)

I've just come back from a Local Preacher's meeting and they've agreed that after my trial service I can move to being 'on trial' rather than 'on note'. This means that the circuit feels that I do have a call to preach and can now take services in my own right rather than assisting another local preacher. This is my first step really towards being in a position to eventually being able to candidate for ordination.

:clap::clap:Congratulations!

Upvote 0

kelco

Rev. Kelco
Feb 28, 2002
Mathias WV
Visit site
✟29,098.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
That sounds like my situation. With the District license [vs. the Local one that I have currently] I can do services in my own right rather than only assisting another preacher. And according to Nazarene protocal, I get to put Rev. before my name. Once I have three years of consecutive official assigned ministry, I will eligible for ordination [and have to finsh my classes this year].

That sounds like my status as a licensed local pastor. I have 5 years of Course of Study to finish. I'm starting on my second year. I have full charge of my circuit, I can do baptisms and serve Holy Communion without an Elder being present and I can use the title Reverend. I am eligible for ordination but I'm not going that route right now. I love what I am called to do and I love the people in my churches.

Upvote 0

GraceSeeker

Jul 2, 2007
USA
✟17,297.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
That sounds like my status as a licensed local pastor. I have 5 years of Course of Study to finish. I'm starting on my second year. I have full charge of my circuit, I can do baptisms and serve Holy Communion without an Elder being present and I can use the title Reverend. I am eligible for ordination but I'm not going that route right now. I love what I am called to do and I love the people in my churches.

Kelco, where are you doing your Course of Study? Will you be pursuing ordination eventually?

I'm counseling elder for a local pastor here who has decided that at his age he is happy to settle into the system where he is. It's funny because supposedly I supervise him and 6 years ago, when this process started, it was indeed good for him to have a mentor to discuss things with; but today he has enough spiritual gifts and grace and enough experience under his belt that I find myself learning just as much from him as he from me. On paper we are still mentor and mentee. In life we're simply colleagues.

Upvote 0

Maid Marie

Zechariah 4:6
Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private

Kelco, where are you doing your Course of Study? Will you be pursuing ordination eventually?

I'm counseling elder for a local pastor here who has decided that at his age he is happy to settle into the system where he is. It's funny because supposedly I supervise him and 6 years ago, when this process started, it was indeed good for him to have a mentor to discuss things with; but today he has enough spiritual gifts and grace and enough experience under his belt that I find myself learning just as much from him as he from me. On paper we are still mentor and mentee. In life we're simply colleagues.

My UMC cousin tried to explain this to me once. Her husband is a local pastor of a UMC. Y'all's local pastor is a bit different than the CotN's local pastor. Different requirements, responsibilities and so on. Pertaining to this discussion here, I couldn't be like your mentoree GS. Once I am on the track, I am required to go to ordination.

Upvote 0

GraceSeeker

Jul 2, 2007
USA
✟17,297.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I couldn't be like your mentoree GS. Once I am on the track, I am required to go to ordination.

Technically we are as well. But it is also possible that since one has so many years in which to accomplish that process, after a certain age it is possible to game the system and simply retire first.

Upvote 0

Maid Marie

Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
Technically we are as well. But it is also possible that since one has so many years in which to accomplish that process, after a certain age it is possible to game the system and simply retire first.

I don't think it is possible to game the system with us. We are given 10 years to complete but are super duper encouraged to get done as soon as possible.

Upvote 0

kelco

Rev. Kelco
Feb 28, 2002
Mathias WV
Visit site
✟29,098.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private

I'm doing my COS at Methodist Theological Seminary Ohio. No I'm not pursuing ordination. At my age I'm not at all willing to take on the debt to finish my BA and then Seminary. I will probably have gone home before the student loans are paid off! ;)

Actually they moved my Mentor out of the district last June and we just can't find time for either one of us to make the 2 hour trip so...but I'vebeen licensed since 2009 and this is my second charge. I have a couple of good friends that are also LLP's that I turn to when I need help or just to talk to. It works and I'm just happy that I am where I am and that I am serving the Lord!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kelco

Rev. Kelco
Feb 28, 2002
Mathias WV
Visit site
✟29,098.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private

I think that if you come into the system after 40 they don't push seminary as hard. Most LLP's after that age have most likely been Lay Speakers or have served in the church for many years. I think they give you Life Experience points too.

Upvote 0

kelco

Rev. Kelco
Feb 28, 2002
Mathias WV
Visit site
✟29,098.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
My UMC cousin tried to explain this to me once. Her husband is a local pastor of a UMC. Y'all's local pastor is a bit different than the CotN's local pastor. Different requirements, responsibilities and so on. Pertaining to this discussion here, I couldn't be like your mentoree GS. Once I am on the track, I am required to go to ordination.

Actually since I am just licensed I get my authority to serve communion and perform baptism from my Bishop. I can't go outside my charge with any sacrament, i.e., I can only serve communion in the nursing home to someone who is specifically from my congregation, not to a gathering. I can have services and preach at a nursing home, I just can't serve communion to anyone.

Upvote 0

Maid Marie

Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
I think that if you come into the system after 40 they don't push seminary as hard. Most LLP's after that age have most likely been Lay Speakers or have served in the church for many years. I think they give you Life Experience points too.

That explains it in my mind. The examples I am aware of are of people over age 40.

Upvote 0

Maid Marie

Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
Actually since I am just licensed I get my authority to serve communion and perform baptism from my Bishop. I can't go outside my charge with any sacrament, i.e., I can only serve communion in the nursing home to someone who is specifically from my congregation, not to a gathering. I can have services and preach at a nursing home, I just can't serve communion to anyone.

That might be me as well, don't really know as I have 'just' gotten it. But since my district is larger geographically than an UMC charge, it probably will not affect me much.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.