Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
It might have been the smallest of events. Like a parent, older sibling or other esteemed adult, ignored or diminished you in some way. And somehow it has stayed with you until this day. I remember an older brother told me "Paul, you are useless. Now, go away." It stayed with me.
Of course we all need to move on but somehow I think what happens to us in childhood shapes our future world view as adults.

Reactions: Gabriel Anton

Gabriel Anton

Exitus Acta Probat Acta Non Verba Deus Vult 11:18
May 19, 2016
Oz
✟89,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Peace be with you.

This is coming from someone who was beaten a lot as a child for trivial things and from an atheistic family without God.

When I was in school, a new kid entered the school later down the year and wanted to make a name for himself. So he asked the kids who was the smartest kid in the science class. I think Science was his favorite subject. Everyone pointed their fingers at me. So the new kid challenged me with a bet that he would beat my test score in the next test. $5 was the bet. I agreed. The test came and he lost and handed me $5. The kids started to make fun of him. I felt sorry for him and gave him the $5 back.

In school, there was an attractive and very beautiful girl. Now I was rather a chubby kid, not lean at this point of life due to my mom's delicious food and my love of food. So I went up to her that day to say hello. She asked me why is it that every time I spoke with her I didn't mention how beautiful the weather is or how fine the day is? Or How beautiful the flowers are? I was kind of a bit confused because she sounded frustrated at me. It was kind of like a scolding that I got from her, that was my impression. I think she wanted to let me know in her own way about how displease she was at me at my blindness to my surroundings, like my failure to notice and tell her how beautiful she was. So I chalked that one up to my lack of character and her maturity and appreciation of the finer things in life which I did not possess at that age due to my upbringing.

God bless you.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think she wanted to let me know in her own way about how displease she was at me at my blindness to my surroundings, like my failure to notice and tell her how beautiful she was. So I chalked that one up to my lack of character and her maturity and appreciation of the finer things in life which I did not possess at that age due to my upbringing.
She was hoping you would compliment her too? Sounds kind of vain.
So were upset by this event?
Sorry to hear about your beatings by the way. No one deserves that.

Upvote 0

Gabriel Anton

May 19, 2016
Oz
✟89,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
She was hoping you would compliment her too? Sounds kind of vain.
So were upset by this event?
Sorry to hear about your beatings by the way. No one deserves that.

Peace be with you.

Remember we're kids. She was not vain. I was not upset. I was more shy then. I was more confused because I didn't really know what went on in a girl's head. She was very mature in her thoughts at that age and I was still a little kid.

Not to worry, the effects of the beatings are all gone. Part of the gift of serving our Generous God and Lady.

Sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience with your older brother. Set your mind on Our Lady and God, and all the ill effects will be evaporated by Them leaving behind only Peace and Love.

One thing I learned about analysing things which happen in life. You have to be able to discern whether what the person says about you is true or false. In another words, does the fault lie in you or the person who said something about you that you did not find very pleasant or palatable. This is a very Important ability to Master because there are times in life where God communicates with you in such ways.

To deal with this kind of unpleasant situation, forgive them, pray for them, bless them, love them and all the ill effects will eventually evaporate like vapor through the Generous Graces of Our Lady and God.

God bless you.

Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
What Gabriel says is true. I too was abused VERY badly, emotionally and physically. It caused manyproblems as I grew up. Affected me badly. But I have been able to forgive, bless, and love the person who did it. It was my mother. She did derp, hateful and bad things. I do not have children becausenof what she did, and I,lost babies in the womb (after I was married). But shenis now 90 and I'offered it all to Christ and united it with His sufferings, for her salvation. Recently, she has commentednon my faith in God and said how it made me strong and got me through. She attributes my muraculous ecoverynfromncancer to God, and also my ability to deal happily with my blindness and inability towalk, to Him. She hated God. Raised her fists at Him. Prayed toSatan. But now, through seeing me, she gas melliwed, and I,pray for her to turn to Him before she dies. I love her and will be at her bedside. But. For many many years I was badly affected. And very sens itive becausenof what sh e did. It is not turned around. Gliry toGod!

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Similar to today, when I was a kid I lived on my own planet so any negative effects from criticism I may have had from my family has long passed.

If anything, the opposite is true. There was one time specifically, when I was in the 4th grade in Australia. There was a girl whose nickname was 'Crusher'. She was the only brown person in the class and the kids liked to make fun of her. There was one day that they were teasing her and told her that I wanted to be her boyfriend. I saw her eyes light up and then I said something mean and I saw disappointment fall across her face.

I wish I would have least offered to be her friend. I still worry about her and hope that things got better for her after that. I had the impression that she had a sad life.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Similar to today, when I was a kid I lived on my own planet so any negative effects from criticism I may have had from my family has long passed.

If anything, the opposite is true. There was one time specifically, when I was in the 4th grade in Australia. There was a girl whose nickname was 'Crusher'. She was the only brown person in the class and the kids liked to make fun of her. There was one day that they were teasing her and told her that I wanted to be her boyfriend. I saw her eyes light up and then I said something mean and I saw disappointment fall across her face.

I wish I would have least offered to be her friend. I still worry about her and hope that things got better for her after that. I had the impression that she had a sad life.
I kind of had the same experience. Growing up in Utah late 60's early 70's there was only one African American family in the neighborhood. Being I wasn't Mormon I really didn't have any friends so I started hanging out in the sand box with Carla. Turned out she was very nice so it became a regular thing. Well it wasn't long before the kids shamed me into not hanging with her and I regret it to this day.

Upvote 0

Gabriel Anton

May 19, 2016
Oz
✟89,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Love the writing style, Gabriel. We are blessed to have you on here.

Peace be with you.

It's a great way to begin and end a post. Feel free to follow if you like.
You know the saying, right?
If you want peace, sow peace. If you want to be blessed, then bless.
It starts with the thought, then intent, then it becomes second nature through repetition of the will, then it becomes part of your character through the Graces of Our Good Lady and Generous God.

You have a great sense of humor, Paul. We are very blessed to have you here to cheer us up.

God bless you.

Upvote 0

Gabriel Anton

May 19, 2016
Oz
✟89,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What Gabriel says is true. I too was abused VERY badly, emotionally and physically. It caused manyproblems as I grew up. Affected me badly. But I have been able to forgive, bless, and love the person who did it. It was my mother. She did derp, hateful and bad things. I do not have children becausenof what she did, and I,lost babies in the womb (after I was married). But shenis now 90 and I'offered it all to Christ and united it with His sufferings, for her salvation. Recently, she has commentednon my faith in God and said how it made me strong and got me through. She attributes my muraculous ecoverynfromncancer to God, and also my ability to deal happily with my blindness and inability towalk, to Him. She hated God. Raised her fists at Him. Prayed toSatan. But now, through seeing me, she gas melliwed, and I,pray for her to turn to Him before she dies. I love her and will be at her bedside. But. For many many years I was badly affected. And very sens itive becausenof what sh e did. It is not turned around. Gliry toGod!

Peace be with you.

You are doing Good. Our Lady and Good Lord will be so Happy to receive your suffering and prayers for the conversion of sinners.

Remember, what you sow spiritually Good here echoes to Eternity. Likewise the opposite.

Prayers, Rosaries, sacrifices, fasts, penances, suffering you offer up Willingly for others in this life, you will be so Shocked and Amazed when you realise the Effects of what they accomplish in the next life, you will not even believe it. And the Effects these have on your own soul here and in the next life are Marvelous beyond comparison through the Generous Graces imparted to us by Our Blessed Lady and Merciful Lord.

Don't let the past weigh you down. Trust in Our Lady and Our Good and Merciful Lord who is Generous in Forgiving. Tend to your soul daily through Pious Devotion to Them and Always Remember to Will to do Good in your life Daily.

God bless you.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I wish I would have least offered to be her friend.
I don't have any guilt about my childhood. Which could mean I have very selective amnesia, only remembering what I was on the receiving end of. I wasn't a bully that is for sure, though I may have lacked compassion at times perhaps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You did have a hard time Tigger and have a right to feel self-compassion.
Yeah I appreciate that but when I realize I was born healthy into a 1st world country where the sky is the limit and then I see some little African child starving to death it tends to set my priorities straight.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Its funny. Once we had an exchange student from Kenya and she noticed we had a lot of commercials on T.V. about depression. She just couldn't contain herself and said 'what do you guys have to be depressed about?' And then she said 'when we get sad we just keep going and get over it'. Wise words.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Its funny. Once we had an exchange student from Kenya and she noticed we had a lot of commercials on T.V. about depression. She just couldn't contain herself and said 'what do you guys have to be depressed about?' And then she said 'when we get sad we just keep going and get over it'. Wise words.
But some of those people in Africa have had such traumatic experiences, they repress or suppress them. That's not healthy either. I don't agree with the old "stiff upper lip" mentality either. Tough people can become old bitter and twisted too, never addressing their own emotions.

Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Paul, you have it there. It is only by allowing ourselves to feel the emotions, and m a ybe. Grieve , and wor k through them, that we. Ge t through them. We cannot deny ir suppress them.

You know, even Jesus showed. Hid emotions. Think about it and how many Zhe showed and what emotions they were.

Upvote 0