1. Saying Goodbye to a Great Staffer: Edial
    Please help me wish Edial a wonderful blessed journey as he steps down from CF staff.
    His footprint on our ministry will always remain but his presence will be greatly missed. I'm sure he will come around as a member to all his favorite forums but for now please join me at his profile page to wish him many thanks for the years of service he has brought to us all.
    All of us on CF staff will miss him dearly!!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Were the Canaanites giants?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by NotEnoughFaith2BeAtheist, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just curious, I'm in Numbers in my reading of the Bible Genesis to Revelation now, and I was just wondering. Were the Canaanites giants or something? :confused:

But the men who had gone up with him said, "We can't attack those people; they are stronger than we are." And they spread among the Israelites a bad report about the land they had explored. They said, "The land we explored devours those living in it. All the people we saw there are of great size. We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them."
    (Numbers 13:31-33)

2. HypnoToad

HypnoToad whatever Supporter

Faith:
    Protestant
    I wouldn't say all of them were, probably not even most of them. Without actually looking up the specifics in Scripture, doesn't your reference only refer to the Anakites as giants, not all Canaanites?

3. Well I'm not sure, just the All the people we saw there are of great size. Part made me think of them all, maybe it wasn't referring to all the Canaanites though

4. Apollo Rhetor

Apollo Rhetor Senior Member

Faith:
    Protestant
    Yes, there were giants. Genesis 6 tells us that the Nephilim were the offspring of the Sons of God with the daughters of men.

I have heard that there is less genetic diversity within the human race than any other animal type. That one subculture of apes has more diversity amongst itself than the human race.

It seems logical to me to assume that giants could exist. We have large horses and small horses, large and small whales, and all other creatures. Humans, due to our tendencies for genocide, wiped out certain races such as the Caananites, thus creating a more homogenous race.

5. HypnoToad

HypnoToad whatever Supporter

Faith:
    Protestant

You know, for a split second there, that looked like "Canadians".

6. AndrewinIdaho

AndrewinIdaho New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Christian
    You also must remember if you or I were to go back to ancient Israel we would be considered Giants most people back then did not grow above 5 feet.

7. GraceInHim

GraceInHim † Need a lifeguard? Mine walks on water †

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    what I find wierd is Cain had a mark on his forehead and in Revelation the mark of the beast is on the forehead..

I also thought the Philistines had giants like Goliath?

8. Desert_pea

Desert_pea New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    AU-Labor
    Faith:
    Christian
    Well if you look at all the different races you will notice that some have much larger and stronger-looking frames than others. Do you know what I mean?

9. FreezBee

FreezBee Veteran

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Seeker
    :D
    There is a story among Jews, that because Moses was a slow and stuttering talker, he happened to say Canaan, but he meant Canada.

As for the OP: remember that the scouts might have been exaggerating - they needed some excuse to disguise that they were simply afraid!

- FreezBee

10. Espada

Espada Iēsous Christos Theou Huios Sōtēr

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    Faith:
    Messianic
    Actually Genesis 6 does not mention Giants at all, this was a translational error, they were nephilim, half angel (Sons of God) and half human (daughters of man).

11. FreezBee

FreezBee Veteran

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Seeker
  12. Espada

Espada Iēsous Christos Theou Huios Sōtēr

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    Faith:
    Messianic
    In the Hebrew "Sons of God" always refers to a direct creation of God i.e. angels, in the Septuagint, the Greek word used was angelos (angels).

The daughters of man is actually the "Daughters of Adam", if this is the daughters of Cain why not just use "Daughters of Cain".

The word in the Septuagint for Nephilim was Gigantis (you see where the Giant error came from), actually it just means earth born (from Gigas).

13. Apollo Rhetor

Apollo Rhetor Senior Member

Faith:
    Protestant
    Well, you'll notice that I didn't actually say giants in Genesis 6, I said Nephilim. And, according at least to my Hebrew lexicon, the word nephilim in Hebrew means "giant", and translated in the LXX as you mentioned to gigantos.

But we know from later verses, such as the one in the original post, that the Nephilim were giants. And we can be fairly sure, from Job 2:1 that the Sons of God indeed refers to angels, and not just to a holy line of Seth.

But such matters are less important. What is important is that yes, there could have been giants in those days (8-12feet tall off memory), and that they would not have to be around today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.