Jonathan David

Revolutionary Dancer
Jan 19, 2004
Home.... mostly
Visit site
✟21,356.00
Faith
Judaism
"A Calgary imam who once made headlines for filing a human rights complaint over the publication of the infamous Muhammad cartoons is now calling on all Muslims to support the war against the Taliban in Pakistan."

Well-known Canadian imam issues fatwa against Taliban

I'm only posting this to remind people that people aren't as black and white as we are usually told to think they are... or as black and white as many people here like to imagine them.

By the way, this article was published as a marginal note on page B9. I wonder what page it would have been on had it been an Iman publicly supporting the Taliban. Good thing that the media isn't influencing the way we think about Muslims these days....

Reactions: ACougar

Jonathan David

Revolutionary Dancer
Jan 19, 2004
Home.... mostly
Visit site
✟21,356.00
Faith
Judaism
Apparently this doesn't warrant a comment from all of the donuts on this site who have repeatedly demanded that every Muslim on earth condemn the Taliban and Osama (presumably as their silence somehow makes them complicit... or suspect... or something that I have never understood). Of course, when a prominent Muslim not only condemns the Taliban but actually issues a fatwa against them....... nothing...

... but crickets.

Upvote 0

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Doesn't that Iman have to have some sort of standing in the community, in order for the Fatwa to amount to anything? If the people in Afganstan don't even know his name, I doubt his fatwa is worth the paper it is written upon.

Upvote 0

Jonathan David

Revolutionary Dancer
Jan 19, 2004
Home.... mostly
Visit site
✟21,356.00
Faith
Judaism
That's not really connected to the points that I was trying to make so I am going to leave it alone.

My points that I am making are that:

1. Our way of reducing people to stereotypes is stupid given that their political/social beliefs are almost never reducible to such simple and inaccurate simplifications as "right" or "left" or "fundamentalist". Or, to be more specific, objecting to the publication of the cartoons does not equal a fundamentalist support for the Taliban (as many in North America would have us believe)

2. The media manipulates our views of Muslim people by telling and emphasizing very specific types of stories... and downplaying others.

3. People around here have - for years - been whining about Muslims in North America not speaking out against the Taliban & Co. I am just pointing this story out for their benefit... and that they don't seem terribly interested when their point becomes as incorrect as it is irrelevant.

Whether the Fatwa is effective is something that I will leave to others to discuss. As I say, that is not the point that I was trying to make.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, no, no, he will probably get charged with a hate crime for speaking out against the Taliban.

Meanwhile, I am at a loss on how to respond to someone who actually thinks the media presents Muslims in a bad light. What deserted island are you from again?

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Wow. Shocking that even when a Muslim is on the same side as them in the war on terror he STILL can't win.

That's the kinda prejudice money can't buy!!!!

How much courage does it take to denounce religious extremists in a place where no one likes them anyway?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums