Perth,Western Australia
✟11,338.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
2015 The Open (formerly known as the British Open) winner and 2007 Masters winner Zach Johnson is a Baptist. He's won 12 PGA tournaments and left the Catholic church to become a Baptist, which makes it even better. ;) *With those two major wins he should make it into the Hall of Fame. And more importantly, he's not shy about his faith and gives all credit for his success to the Lord.
He just won the most recent one, so now he is 3 time winner.

Upvote 0

crixus

the truth shall set you free
Nov 13, 2012
California
✟62,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
He just won the most recent one, so now he is 3 time winner.

It's two majors. I included The Open in Scotland that he won this past Monday. But I'm glad you noticed that big victory!

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hmm i dont know any of those except william carey and John Bunyan.
Any ladies?

I don't know the current denominational affiliation of Billy Graham's daughter, Anne Graham Lotz, but she had a shameful, embarrassing experience when she stood to speak to 800 pastors. See, 'Anne Graham Lotz and 800 pastors' shame'.

Billy Graham is a Baptist but his late wife, Ruth, used to attend a Presbyterian Church.

Why don't you read this article: 'Myth: Baptists Don't Believe In Women Pastors', by Sheri Adams?

Oz

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
???
Why did they not let her speak when it was actually them who INVITED her to speak?
What was she meant to do, sign language?

You'll need to ask her that, but I suspect it was because for some pastors a woman speaking to a mixed group is against biblical teaching, e.g. interpretations of 1 Tim 2:12 (ESV).

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would presume she is baptist since her dad is. Doesnt matter people disagree with her, she prolly grew up in baptist church so that kinda makes her baptist. I dont think anyone who is baptist forgets when they hear the gospel. They'll still be baptists at heart even if they quibble over other things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Well thats just stupid. they shouldnt have invited her then. If you give a woman a microphone and ask her to say something, she will.

I find it hypocritical that Anne was invited to speak to a large group of pastors and then they protest against a women speaking by turning their backs on her. In my view, it was an absolutely rude action. If they didn't agree with a woman speaker, they should have stayed away and not attempted to listen to her.

What is also sad is that Billy Graham himself has described Anne as 'the best preacher in the family' (source). So Billy regards her (she's an evangelist) as a better preacher than Franklin or himself. Amazing that such a God-gifted woman is treated with such disdain by these men. Shame on them for protesting in this way!

Have you read the Fox News (Associated Press) article from 2008, 'Magazine Featuring Female Pastors Pulled From Shelves, "Treated Like inappropriate contentography"'? This details how 'five women on the cover are dressed in black and smiling — not an uncommon strategy for selling magazines.But these cover girls are women of the cloth, featured in Gospel Today magazine's latest issue, which the Southern Baptist Convention has pulled from the shelves at its bookstores, though the magazine is available for sale upon request'.

Oz

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HantsUK

Oct 27, 2009
Hampshire, England
✟215,634.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I would presume she is baptist since her dad is. Doesnt matter people disagree with her, she prolly grew up in baptist church so that kinda makes her baptist. I dont think anyone who is baptist forgets when they hear the gospel. They'll still be baptists at heart even if they quibble over other things.
Not a comment on Anne Graham Lotz, but having Baptist parents, or growing up in a Baptist church does not make you a Baptist (or a follower of Christ). One of the basic distinctions of Baptists is 'believer's baptism'. Being a follower of Christ is not something you inherit, or something your parents confer on you.

Comparing JM's two lists, the first (#7) was of people largely unknown today, but who all lived through persecution. His 2nd (#13) was of famous people who have some Baptist connection, such as having Baptist parents. But many of these (the so called famous, not their parents) have rejected Christ.

In England Baptist churches are generally OK with women in leadership.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Keep them coming, I just want to know any ladies as well. Surely there must be some missionaries or husband and wife teams.

Goodbook,

In the Baptist denominations in the States of Victoria and New South Wales, Australia, women are ordained to ministry – pastoral ministry. See:
However, as for my home state of Queensland, it has reached a different conclusion. As of 2009: ‘Queensland Baptists has decided that women will not be accepted as candidates for ordination'(Registration and Ordination Guidelines, Adopted by the Board of Queensland Baptists, 25 June 2009, section 5.4, Assembly 22.05.2009).

Carolyn Osiek’s research has uncovered support for silence and non-silence of women in ministry in the early church fathers. See: ‘The Ministry and Ordination of Women According to the Early Church Fathers‘.

Oz

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

This article, 'She Will Not Remain Silent', identifies Anne Graham Lotz as a Southern Baptist, 'But then, Lotz isn't a typical Southern Baptist. She's a woman--and she's a full-time minister'.

Here's another example of how Anne Graham Lotz was treated by Southern Baptists: 'Southern Baptists Split On Women Preachers'.

Oz

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, shes shes a baptist because shes she identifies with the southern baptists who presumably baptise only believers.

You could ask her if you dont know for sure. The fact shes a woman who ministers is neither here nor there. I know plenty of women who minister in the church and almost all women minister at home, so not sure what your issue is. Just cos she was invited to speak in church to men doesnt mean she doesnt believe in Jesus.

Shes well known because of her dad, not cos shes a 'woman preacher'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Well, shes shes a baptist because shes she identifies with the southern baptists who presumably baptise only believers.

You could ask her if you dont know for sure. The fact shes a woman who ministers is neither here nor there. I know plenty of women who minister in the church and almost all women minister at home, so not sure what your issue is. Just cos she was invited to speak in church to men doesnt mean she doesnt believe in Jesus.

Shes well known because of her dad, not cos shes a 'woman preacher'.

I have no problems with a woman preacher, but some on this forum do. See my article, Women in ministry: an overview of some biblical passages

Even her Dad said she is the best preacher in the family; thus Billy Graham put Anne Graham Lotz ahead of Franklin Graham and himself as preachers.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not a comment on Anne Graham Lotz, but having Baptist parents, or growing up in a Baptist church does not make you a Baptist (or a follower of Christ). One of the basic distinctions of Baptists is 'believer's baptism'. Being a follower of Christ is not something you inherit, or something your parents confer on you.

Comparing JM's two lists, the first (#7) was of people largely unknown today, but who all lived through persecution. His 2nd (#13) was of famous people who have some Baptist connection, such as having Baptist parents. But many of these (the so called famous, not their parents) have rejected Christ.

In England Baptist churches are generally OK with women in leadership.
Hi. Anne Lotz Graham was in a Presbyterian church for a while, I think.
Yes, Baptists often follow the order of Acts 2.41, they believe, and then are baptised subsequently.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Off the top of my head, Jesus, John the Baptist, Joseph, Abraham, Jacob, king David, king Solomon, Abel, Stephen, James, Peter, Paul, Mathew, John, Mark, Luke, The Virgin Mary, Mary Magdline, Deborah, Jude, Ester, Daniel, Elijah, Enoch, Moses, Aron, Arch Angel Gabriel, Arch Angel Michael, Arch Angel Raphael, Samson, Gideon, Adam, Eve, The Holy Spirit and The Father. Just off the top of my head.

Maybe you should rethink what Famous is?

Upvote 0