Blackwater Babe

Jan 10, 2011
United States
✟8,940.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Libertarian
so you are saying there needs to be more opportunities for education?
I'd say yes, so long as you understand that for education to be a real opportunity, child care, accomodation, and general living expenses need to be provided for as well. Its all well and good to have a thousand new student places, but they aren't going to help anyone if you expect people to look after children while paying for accomodation and board while studying.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'd say yes, so long as you understand that for education to be a real opportunity, child care, accomodation, and general living expenses need to be provided for as well. Its all well and good to have a thousand new student places, but they aren't going to help anyone if you expect people to look after children while paying for accomodation and board while studying.
but there are already government programs to help with the school part.

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
but there are already government programs to help with the school part.

Not with all of it. Are you or your parents paying a portion of your schooling, or is funding providing for all of it? I know when I applied, I was only approved for a certain amount, and was responsible to take care of the rest.

And you haven't addressed the majority of people who are on welfare - families. If one has small children, they can't work AND go to school AND pay for everything by themselves.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not with all of it. Are you or your parents paying a portion of your schooling, or is funding providing for all of it? I know when I applied, I was only approved for a certain amount, and was responsible to take care of the rest.

And you haven't addressed the majority of people who are on welfare - families. If one has small children, they can't work AND go to school AND pay for everything by themselves.
Well we are funding it and private scholarships SOME government money though not a whole lot because of father's income I am unable to get most of the grants because he grosses over 50k the normal limit for aid mom works and grosses between 3-5 grand (I think working part time) and so that knocks me out unless I left and had them not claim me on their taxes or turn 24. I am currently 21 and they still claim me so it is THEIR income it is based off of and among he, mom and my SSI ( all considered income of the unit) We probably gross between 55 and 60 grand knocks me out of aid requiring you to gross under 50 grand. I wonder if those people can go to school part-time I know a man ( granted he has two in their mid-teens and an adult child) but D. works full-time and goes to school six credit hours ( at most schools this is half time) (undergraduate). so you can do that (maybe) There are schools that are "designed" more for older adults than others. When I say designed I mean that they have more flex in terms of like crass times.

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Flex doesn't matter when I don't have time after work to get to class. And with my income and lack of savings I wouldn't be able to put up the money they didn't supply for the schooling.

If I get out of work at 5:30, and class started at 5, I'm stuck. Plus I don't drive and can't afford a car.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Flex doesn't matter when I don't have time after work to get to class. And with my income and lack of savings I wouldn't be able to put up the money they didn't supply for the schooling.

If I get out of work at 5:30, and class started at 5, I'm stuck. Plus I don't drive and can't afford a car.
I was pointing out that they do have money for school I did not say they funded all of it. I will say this many time IF you go part time you pay by the hour For example, a local community college in my area ( just looked them up have their information in another tab, Their cost is on the quarter system ( not semester) is $31 per hour in state and 62 per hour out of state, so that means if you took a standard course in state ( most courses are 3 hours) you would pay $93 for that class. ( not including books) I am not sure if this particular college offer weekend college. Honest question when you say you want to go to school are you meaning as a degree or non-degree seeking student ( sometimes particularly if you know what job you want you can get classes for THAT job and not have to have the full degree. Of course if you wanted to like teach that would not work.

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was pointing out that they do have money for school I did not say they funded all of it. I will say this many time IF you go part time you pay by the hour For example, a local community college in my area ( just looked them up have their information in another tab, Their cost is on the quarter system ( not semester) is $31 per hour in state and 62 per hour out of state, so that means if you took a standard course in state ( most courses are 3 hours) you would pay $93 for that class. ( not including books) I am not sure if this particular college offer weekend college. Honest question when you say you want to go to school are you meaning as a degree or non-degree seeking student ( sometimes particularly if you know what job you want you can get classes for THAT job and not have to have the full degree. Of course if you wanted to like teach that would not work.

So, yea. With $30 bucks to spend PER MONTH after bills, WHILE working, how exactly do you expect me to find $93 per class?

Are you at least beginning to see why this stuff is impossible with things the way they are?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So, yea. With $30 bucks to spend PER MONTH after bills, WHILE working, how exactly do you expect me to find $93 per class?

Are you at least beginning to see why this stuff is impossible with things the way they are?
I am seeing it at this point I am trying to help ( as you said you want to go back to school. What I do not know is if you would be required to take the tests like SAT and/or ACT to get in) Many of those colleges ( once you make just a little more will even give you UP TO ( not everyone but UP to a full ride depending on your scores ( In some cases it does not matter one's income ( unless the scholarships are need-based. $93 does not seem like much as opposed to some schools who HOURS even public school cost 300 400 even 500 per hour ( once you get to 12-18 hours it is a flat rate ( most places 12 hours is full time.

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am seeing it at this point I am trying to help ( as you said you want to go back to school. What I do not know is if you would be required to take the tests like SAT and/or ACT to get in) Many of those colleges ( once you make just a little more will even give you UP TO ( not everyone but UP to a full ride depending on your scores ( In some cases it does not matter one's income ( unless the scholarships are need-based.

I do appreciate your willingness to discuss this. I should really express that at this point. I'm sorry for the rough tone, it really isn't personal. The whole topic is a bit frustrating for me, it just brings to the surface the barriers I'm facing.

I still have the problem of supporting my family and getting to class. If its not one thing its another lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I do appreciate your willingness to discuss this. I should really express that at this point. I'm sorry for the rough tone, it really isn't personal. The whole topic is a bit frustrating for me, it just brings to the surface the barriers I'm facing.

I still have the problem of supporting my family and getting to class. If its not one thing its another lol
One thing that I do (I can't drive either between a seizure history, eye sight issues, and motor skill issues all likely caused by my CP it just would NOT be safe. is get other folks to drive me (if they are going to the same place) Some schools also have public transit that gets you around campus if it is big particularly. For example, the college my sister wants to go to is local and is spread out like all over the downtown area which is much of that particular county.

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One thing that I do (I can't drive either between a seizure history, eye sight issues, and motor skill issues all likely caused by my CP it just would NOT be safe. is get other folks to drive me (if they are going to the same place) Some schools also have public transit that gets you around campus if it is big particularly. For example, the college my sister wants to go to is local and is spread out like all over the downtown area which is much of that particular county.

They have a bus, but it wouldn't get me to classes on time, and it doesn't run after classes end. I've already researched this to the hilt. Leaving work at 5:30, I would have to take 2 buses to get to classes at the Community college, and I wouldn't get there until classes were nearly over. Unless I quit my job and some how managed to get a car and then found a benefactor to support me for 4 years while I got my degree. Or two while I went for non-degree classes. Then there's the matter of a sitter, because if my husband goes into the hospital I would need someone to watch my girls and the daycare closes at 6. There is just SO much keeping me back its depressing :(

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
They have a bus, but it wouldn't get me to classes on time, and it doesn't run after classes end. I've already researched this to the hilt. Leaving work at 5:30, I would have to take 2 buses to get to classes at the Community college, and I wouldn't get there until classes were nearly over. Unless I quit my job and some how managed to get a car and then found a benefactor to support me for 4 years while I got my degree. Or two while I went for non-degree classes. Then there's the matter of a sitter, because if my husband goes into the hospital I would need someone to watch my girls and the daycare closes at 6. There is just SO much keeping me back its depressing :(
yeah it sounds as if there is. If you do not mind me asking why does your husband go to the hospital so much?

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yeah it sounds as if there is. If you do not mind me asking why does your husband go to the hospital so much?

Congestive heart failure. When he gets a sinus infection, it could get into his heart. A minor cold could kill him if he's not careful.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Congestive heart failure. When he gets a sinus infection, it could get into his heart. A minor cold could kill him if he's not careful.
Is there a way it can go away?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nota

Dec 15, 2012
turtle island
✟7,779.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
motherprayer,

Thank you for participating in this thread, you are one gutsy lady!
Kudos for hanging in there inspite of negative feedback and implied accusations.
Unfortunately, trying to bust stereotypes is seldom effective because too many people insist on sticking to their ideologies rather than checking out facts of life for themselves.

The materially poor in this country are usually regarded as lazy leeches who suck the life out of the "successful". They are said to be non-producing subhuman scum.
Yes, I DO hear statements like those and worse on a daily basis.
Why??

The insightful adage : "WHAT something means depends upon WHO defines the terms" could not be more true.
Here is the American majority culture`s definition of success :
making as much money as possible, amassing as much material wealth as possible, aquiring as much power [over others] as possible, and never ceasing to chase after more of all three goals.
A relentless quest for more......nothing is ever enough.

Personally, I am incapable of comprehending such a mindset.

According to the Angloamerican definition of success I am a total failure, a useless eater, and a scourge on "real Americans" - those who work.
Translation of working people : those who earn at least an [upper]middle class income.
The most valuable people are the materially wealthiest who are also dominating and abusively powerful - the herrenmenschen.

Sorry, if it hurts anyone`s assumptions, but I DO NOT live off others, nor am I on any kind of "government dole".
Neither do/are millions of other materially poor people.

I AM guilty of having spent years of being unemployed [voluntarily gave up a career], staying at home, raising a family and large veggie gardens.
Worse, I have been involved with countless hours of volunteer "work" and still am today.
None of what I ever did/do is considered being of any value in majority society.
On the contrary, it has earned me the "lazy, worthless failure" label.

Moreover, what has many working people [those employed, drawing paychecks] furious with critters like me is that, since I am not payed for my despicable activities, I also pay no income taxes.
[Never mind that I pay a bunch of other taxes just like everyone else]

The real tragedy is that there are more christians than non-christians posessed by this virulent contempt and outright hate for those they deem the "wrong kind", including the materially poor.

nota

Reactions: Archaeopteryx
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
motherprayer,

Thank you for participating in this thread, you are one gutsy lady!
Kudos for hanging in there inspite of negative feedback and implied accusations.
Unfortunately, trying to bust stereotypes is seldom effective because too many people insist on sticking to their ideologies rather than checking out facts of life for themselves.

The materially poor in this country are usually regarded as lazy leeches who suck the life out of the "successful". They are said to be non-producing subhuman scum.
Yes, I DO hear statements like those and worse on a daily basis.
Why??

The insightful adage : "WHAT something means depends upon WHO defines the terms" could not be more true.
Here is the American majority culture`s definition of success :
making as much money as possible, amassing as much material wealth as possible, aquiring as much power [over others] as possible, and never ceasing to chase after more of all three goals.
A relentless quest for more......nothing is ever enough.

Personally, I am incapable of comprehending such a mindset.

According to the Angloamerican definition of success I am a total failure, a useless eater, and a scourge on "real Americans" - those who work.
Translation of working people : those who earn at least an [upper]middle class income.
The most valuable people are the materially wealthiest who are also dominating and abusively powerful - the herrenmenschen.

Sorry, if it hurts anyone`s assumptions, but I DO NOT live off others, nor am I on any kind of "government dole".
Neither do/are millions of other materially poor people.

I AM guilty of having spent years of being unemployed [voluntarily gave up a career], staying at home, raising a family and large veggie gardens.
Worse, I have been involved with countless hours of volunteer "work" and still am today.
None of what I ever did/do is considered being of any value in majority society.
On the contrary, it has earned me the "lazy, worthless failure" label.

Moreover, what has many working people [those employed, drawing paychecks] furious with critters like me is that, since I am not payed for my despicable activities, I also pay no income taxes.
[Never mind that I pay a bunch of other taxes just like everyone else]

The real tragedy is that there are more christians than non-christians posessed by this virulent contempt and outright hate for those they deem the "wrong kind", including the materially poor.

nota

I never said that there were not people who need the system. There are people who use it the wrong way, but there are people who NEED help which is why I am in favor of making it as localized as it can be.

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never said that there were not people who need the system. There are people who use it the wrong way, but there are people who NEED help which is why I am in favor of making it as localized as it can be.

Its alright, my friend. I DO see you working to understand, and I appreciate it :)

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Its alright, my friend. I DO see you working to understand, and I appreciate it :)
strong Christian republican conserve will husband condition like go away?

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

You are also in favour of making it as hard as it can be... for people who are already struggling.

Upvote 0