Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Here's a shot from yesterday's hike. It was good to get out into the silence for a little bit.

IMG_2676.JPG

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟60,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In other news, I will be attending Comic Con again later this month.

If any of the DC Comics writers or editors in charge of the Superman line are on any of the pannels, I could type you up a list of pointed questions to ask them about the way they killed off the New52 Superman, my favorite iterarion of Superman of all time, in favor of SuperDad and his annoying 10-year old superhero sidekick son. :) Just say the word, I could give you a dozen to choose from easy. ;) I really liked the new52 Superman. I was really bummed that they didn't even give him his own monthly in an alternate universe or with a new secret identity or something if they really felt that they *had* to replace him in the main titles.

I mean, heck, "SuperDad" is a farmer who was originally on the west coast (After his universe was destroyed) and is married to his universe's Lois Lane, with a child, whereas New52 Superman was a younger brasher social justice oriented single reporter (Sometimes blogger) who was dating Wonder Woman and lived in a slum in Metropolis (Which is assumed to be on the east coast) with his roommate Jim Olson. Their costumes were fairly different (Thought the new52 high collar and the Kryptonian body armor were great). Some of their powers were different. They could have strengthened those differences in time and maybe even had them split the job. They didn't have to kill the one off to make way for the other- they weren't so much alike that having two would feel redundant. They might have even been able to go towards more modern hyperrealistic art in the new52 comics and gone for ultra-classic artwork in the SuperDad comics. Maybe New52 Superman could have been made edgier for more mature audiences, and SuperDad could have catered to a family friendly demographic. There are I think three or four versions of The Flash running around, aren't there? There are definitely several versions of Spiderman. It can be done.

Um, I mean, comics, haven't read any of those since I was a youngster. ;)

Anyway, hope you have a good time! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There has been a lot going on in my life lately, from real life circumstances to being involved in a handful of activism causes. I wish I could go to Standing Rock and be there on site. My husband and I have been discussing it, but it would be hard to make it work out. I have a couple of friends there though, so I have some firsthand news. Anyway, my life has been very busy.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
If any of the DC Comics writers or editors in charge of the Superman line are on any of the pannels, I could type you up a list of pointed questions to ask them about the way they killed off the New52 Superman, my favorite iterarion of Superman of all time, in favor of SuperDad and his annoying 10-year old superhero sidekick son. :) Just say the word, I could give you a dozen to choose from easy. ;) I really liked the new52 Superman. I was really bummed that they didn't even give him his own monthly in an alternate universe or with a new secret identity or something if they really felt that they *had* to replace him in the main titles.

I mean, heck, "SuperDad" is a farmer who was originally on the west coast (After his universe was destroyed) and is married to his universe's Lois Lane, with a child, whereas New52 Superman was a younger brasher social justice oriented single reporter (Sometimes blogger) who was dating Wonder Woman and lived in a slum in Metropolis (Which is assumed to be on the east coast) with his roommate Jim Olson. Their costumes were fairly different (Thought the new52 high collar and the Kryptonian body armor were great). Some of their powers were different. They could have strengthened those differences in time and maybe even had them split the job. They didn't have to kill the one off to make way for the other- they weren't so much alike that having two would feel redundant. They might have even been able to go towards more modern hyperrealistic art in the new52 comics and gone for ultra-classic artwork in the SuperDad comics. Maybe New52 Superman could have been made edgier for more mature audiences, and SuperDad could have catered to a family friendly demographic. There are I think three or four versions of The Flash running around, aren't there? There are definitely several versions of Spiderman. It can be done.

Um, I mean, comics, haven't read any of those since I was a youngster. ;)

Anyway, hope you have a good time! :)
Thanks. :)
If only I were more familiar with comics.
My knowledge comes from the 90's and early 00's shows(Batman, Superman, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Batman Beyond, Teen Titans, X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Hulk)

Though I do pick up bits and pieces on the comics just from random internet stuff, Linkara especially(though I haven't watched his stuff in yonks).

I was aware of the DC universe reboot and new 52, but not much specific beyond that. I guess they're struggling with Superman's direction, just like most recent adaptations.

I go to the MCM London Comic Con(I think there's a competing Con at the Olympia) mainly for the gaming side of things and cool merchandise, but I do have a working knowledge of the surrounding nerddom.(could definitely improve though, especially on anime and manga)

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Turns out, there's a few species of frog that inject deadly venom into their prey by headbutting them.
That's pretty cool, right?
I need to decide on the kind of things I want to post in this thread.
Things that wont drive everyone up the wall.
As for now, bed time.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Random unexpected facts are always good!
I made cabbage pottage, my first attempt at medieval vegan friendly cooking. I entered in a contest at an SCA event this past weekend , and now I'm eating lots of leftovers. It's pretty good though.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Here's a random and kind of terrifying fact...I took the kids to hear Jack Horner, the famous paleontologist speak on Tuesday and he mentioned that there's a research group working on creating small velociraptor embryos out of chicken embryos.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Here's a random and kind of terrifying fact...I took the kids to hear Jack Horner, the famous paleontologist speak on Tuesday and he mentioned that there's a research group working on creating small velociraptor embryos out of chicken embryos.
I heard there was an effort to selectively breed chickens to be more like their non-avian brethren. This could be something else entirely though, as that sounds like pretty extensive biological manipulation going on there. I'd assume with CRISPR.

For those interested:
(My new avatar is a Centaur Class Federation Starship, it will do for now, so now I will sleep)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Would anyone here be interested in doing a regular weight loss thread thingy?
Where we work towards losing a certain amount of weight?(that way no one would need to disclose their weight, as I know some folk may be sensitive about it)

I'm wondering if it would keep me motivated to at least eat well more consistently.
No worries if not.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I'm 168cm tall and weigh 82.5kg; that's after losing 13-ish kg since February.
Kinda almost killed myself with a potassium deficiency, so I'm being more careful now...and ergo not really sure if I'm still losing weight as my old bathroom scales were terrible. Just replaced them, so I thought I might take this whole losing weight thing in a more structured direction.

Fun fact:
To get over my potassium deficiency, I was told to eat several bananas a day.
So my life was essentially saved by bananas.(and I still make sure to eat them regularly)
As a gay man, I probably find this more amusing than I otherwise should.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
and weigh 82.5kg; that's after losing 13-ish kg since February.
well done losing the weight. I Oh I remember all those years ago when I was 82.5 kg. I think I was jogging then, runnin up that slight hill, no problem!

Upvote 0