Christian Hedonist
Jun 3, 2008
Prince George, BC
✟10,094.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
But is enjoying things around you thus wrong?
Depends. If you are enjoying them for their sake then yes. Without faith it is impossible to please God. What is not from faith, is sin. We aer to find satisfaction and joy in God. Creation attests to His greatness. When we substitute His wonders for the things of this world, it is sinful. That being said, if you enjoy the things around you through your faith in God, praising Him for Hi creation then that is indeed good.

Upvote 0

miguel_de_luis

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
✟629.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So, what do you think of people attracted to things very abnormal, some of which may even seem evil, but which the Bible is silent on.

For example, let us say someone is sexually attracted to balls... I do mean sport balls, like soccer balls, base balls, ect.

Or chairs? Or sound? You know, the freakishly weird stuff which until you see it you wouldn't believe a person could be sexually attracted to it.

Is it wrong? Is it part of God's plan? Should they be allowed to 'have sex' with said things? Should they 'marry' said things first. Or does this all fall under sexual perversions? And if it does, what about a tad bit more normal things, S/M, foot fetish, ect.? Are those a sexual perversion? Where do you draw a line at? Just asking.

I believe that's more in the province of therapists and counsellors than in finger-pointers'.

Upvote 0

dead2self

Christian Hedonist
Jun 3, 2008
Prince George, BC
✟10,094.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, attraction to inanimate objects does seem to be something a counselor should deal with. But one of the questions was is it wrong. Therapy cannot tell you that. One must go to the word of God for that. And do not see any fingerpointing here either. So far as I know we are talking theoretically about the morality of these issues.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Yes, attraction to inanimate objects does seem to be something a counselor should deal with. But one of the questions was is it wrong. Therapy cannot tell you that. One must go to the word of God for that. And do not see any fingerpointing here either. So far as I know we are talking theoretically about the morality of these issues.

I personally don't know anyone like this. Maybe someone here does though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IndomitableAmy

Mar 22, 2008
✟8,552.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So, what do you think of people attracted to things very abnormal, some of which may even seem evil, but which the Bible is silent on.

For example, let us say someone is sexually attracted to balls... I do mean sport balls, like soccer balls, base balls, ect.

Or chairs? Or sound? You know, the freakishly weird stuff which until you see it you wouldn't believe a person could be sexually attracted to it.

Is it wrong? Is it part of God's plan? Should they be allowed to 'have sex' with said things? Should they 'marry' said things first. Or does this all fall under sexual perversions? And if it does, what about a tad bit more normal things, S/M, foot fetish, ect.? Are those a sexual perversion? Where do you draw a line at? Just asking.

I'll go a different direction with this:

Some people find certain body parts particularly attractive. Fronts, rears, eyes, etc. This is very common. Some people find other body parts attractive. Mouths, hands, feet, whatever. That is less common.

Some people find things very attractive (or things on people.) This ranges from very common (such as lingerie) to quite uncommon (and I'm not even going to try to go there.)

I submit that morality should not be based on how common something is. What is common is not inherently more or less moral than what is uncommon.

If you think lingerie is sinful, then of course you'd think attraction to other things would be sinful, but if you do not think lingerie is sinful but think attraction to other things is sinful, I hope you'd have good justification for that. None has occurred to me.

Of course, no, I don't think one ought "marry" one's paraphilia any more than one ought marry a bit of cloth that one likes. People are to be married. Things are to be used.

For what it's worth, I myself would not call anything a (sexual) perversion unless it was harming someone in whatever fashion. I think something can be strange to me without being a perversion.

I just don't see how anybody could be attracted to a chair... I mean talk about a serious mental disorder...
Actually, according to the DSM, they would only be mental disorders if they caused harm/disruption to one's life. Something like that. I don't know what the ICD says.

Upvote 0