FuegoPentecostes

Apr 26, 2012
Connecticut
✟15,505.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I have seen many Pentecostal churches where the women use veils, usually they are holiness churches. It's usually a pastoral decision, I attend a holiness Pentecostal church and although our women don't use veils, we will often share in visiting churches that use the veil (we call them "veil churches" lol)

Usually these types of Pentecostal churches only require the veil to be used during prayer or when in the sanctuary, not outside of church as, lets say, a nun would.

Upvote 0

FuegoPentecostes

Apr 26, 2012
Connecticut
✟15,505.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Other issue is its a Spanish church, No hablo espanol :)

Just read this - I know the exact kind of church you're talking about. La iglesia del velo, as we call them lol.

They are HARMLESS, please believe me. They are holiness Pentecostal. If you don't mind me asking, where are you located? There are tons of Hispanic Pentecostal veil churches where I live and I've attended many. They are old-style holiness Pentecostal, only real difference is they use the veil and some keep the sabbath. Anyone who thinks a church like this is a cult needs to look at the original Pentecostal holiness doctrine, which was a norm for all Pentecostal churches. The majority of veil churches are small because they do follow strict holiness standards - but that doesn't make them a cult.

Please PM with any questions you have about the veil church, and trust me, she's not in a cult. I really hate to see people who claim to be Pentecostal but as soon as they find a Pentecostal church that follows ORIGINAL Pentecostal doctrine, they label it as legalism, "salvation by works", etc. That is not the case at all. If so, all modern day Pentecostal churches have stemmed out of a cult . . . which would be hard to swallow, wouldn't it?

Upvote 0

jamadan

Jan 1, 2009
✟8,566.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Just read this - I know the exact kind of church you're talking about. La iglesia del velo, as we call them lol.

They are HARMLESS, please believe me. They are holiness Pentecostal. If you don't mind me asking, where are you located? There are tons of Hispanic Pentecostal veil churches where I live and I've attended many. They are old-style holiness Pentecostal, only real difference is they use the veil and some keep the sabbath. Anyone who thinks a church like this is a cult needs to look at the original Pentecostal holiness doctrine, which was a norm for all Pentecostal churches. The majority of veil churches are small because they do follow strict holiness standards - but that doesn't make them a cult.

Please PM with any questions you have about the veil church, and trust me, she's not in a cult. I really hate to see people who claim to be Pentecostal but as soon as they find a Pentecostal church that follows ORIGINAL Pentecostal doctrine, they label it as legalism, "salvation by works", etc. That is not the case at all. If so, all modern day Pentecostal churches have stemmed out of a cult . . . which would be hard to swallow, wouldn't it?

Not necessarily a cult, but it does make them very legalistic and not an option i would ever recommend to anyone.

Upvote 0

FuegoPentecostes

Apr 26, 2012
Connecticut
✟15,505.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Not necessarily a cult, but it does make them very legalistic and not an option i would ever recommend to anyone.

I don't believe women need to wear a veil, however I don't judge those who feel convicted to do so. People need to understand something - just because a church is against something concerning the outward life, whether it be clothing, jewelry, etc, does not make it legalistic! What is legalistic about that? I don't understand where the sensitivity comes from.

The original Pentecostals followed holiness standards of dress - and there was POWER of the living God that flowed in and out of those people and those churches. There were healings, miracles, demons cast out - the Holy Spirit moved, services ended at one in the morning, there was true POWER. Nowadays, these happenings are so rare! There are no more healings, little prophecy - and guess what? No more outward holiness either! There is a DIRECT correlation! Outward holiness doesn't save, but it is important to be in obedience to God! These churches encourage these things so that members are living lives pleasing to the Lord, that their SPIRIT, SOUL AND BODY be sanctified ( 1 Tes 5:23). Now holiness standards are gone - and what kind of manifestations do we see? A bunch of emotional people who can't stop laugh? "Holy laughter?" What an affront to the Lord of Hosts. We need to return to the OLD path again.

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't believe women need to wear a veil, however I don't judge those who feel convicted to do so. People need to understand something - just because a church is against something concerning the outward life, whether it be clothing, jewelry, etc, does not make it legalistic! What is legalistic about that? I don't understand where the sensitivity comes from.

The original Pentecostals followed holiness standards of dress - and there was POWER of the living God that flowed in and out of those people and those churches. There were healings, miracles, demons cast out - the Holy Spirit moved, services ended at one in the morning, there was true POWER. Nowadays, these happenings are so rare! There are no more healings, little prophecy - and guess what? No more outward holiness either! There is a DIRECT correlation! Outward holiness doesn't save, but it is important to be in obedience to God! These churches encourage these things so that members are living lives pleasing to the Lord, that their SPIRIT, SOUL AND BODY be sanctified ( 1 Tes 5:23). Now holiness standards are gone - and what kind of manifestations do we see? A bunch of emotional people who can't stop laugh? "Holy laughter?" What an affront to the Lord of Hosts. We need to return to the OLD path again.

I been with the Holiness Pentecostals…….just because these things started out in the holiness pentecostals doesn't mean it was all ok. None of the things mention that holiness pentecostals do is what made the church and Spirit move so much…its what was in the heart. I don't have a problem with anyone who doesn't want to wear jewelry, woman who want to wear dresses and down to there ankles, who won't cut their hair, and men who keep the hair off the back of their neck and off their ears, and do not watch or have a tv or internet service…and the list goes on. The problem is when a Pastor demands and mandates that it must be followed to a T or else your in dire sin and are certain you will go to hell…..the holiness outwards appearance isn't what moves God, its our hearts towards him….I was with some Holiness Pentecostals that were just plain wicked and evil, all the holiness stuff didn't move God at all. Man looks on the outwards, God looks at the inwards. I've seen people that came into my church and get baptized and receive the Holy Ghost….then told you have to get rid of your wedding rings, stop cutting your hair, must be in church every service, stop wearing pants, don't wear shorts, sell your tv…….and every single one left for another church. Legalism demands, drains and places mans burdens on you…..I'll take Grace that sets the soul free to serve God.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It really depends on ones interpretation of 1 Corinthians 11 and Paul's writings on head coverings. My fear is about the near legalistic nature the church places on them. They preface such things on the classic, "Well God told us this so that is how it is going to be..."

Upvote 0

Missyjojo88

Mar 26, 2005
Connecticut
Visit site
✟19,679.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I must confess, I go to a church where some people choose to wear a veil while in church (not outside), and others choose not. The pastor does not put too much emphasis on veils, jewelry, pants, etc. I am one of these people out of respect to the fact that there were Goldly people in the church getting revelation that those who were going on the stage should cover their hair. I did this out of obedience (I wore a mantel). I took it off when church was over. The pastor though was not focus on that. I did this in my church and when I would visit another church, I would not. But one time God spoke to me during a church I was visiting and said, " Cover your hair." I knew it was God, I said I will. It was hard for me to do this in other churches. Then around late 2013 while I was driving I heard God say, "Cover your hair!" I said to God I am not in church, why do you tell me to cover it? (I did not speak out loud, but within) He told me again to do it. I spent some time debating if this was of God. I even thought it was the enemy telling me this and this was a spirit of legalism.

But God kept telling me this is how he wants me to dress. He told me to wear a head covering even when I am not in church. He talk to me about modesty and not wearing certain things (I was never a person who was into apparels/make-up all that much), but he was telling me not do wear these things. I always try to be natural unless weddings and special events. I wore jewelry from time to time, but not all the time. I was not making an idol out of these things so why was God telling me to go to this extreme? I did not understand it. I told God when I start working again that I would not be able to wear the head covering during work hour. In court if I am ask to take my head covering off I do it. There are times I do not wear it, but God does not want me to do it all the time. He wants me to wear it. God has giving me a dream about his holy people dressing modest with hair covering. He has since then been talking to me about letting go of certain things. I have cried about the head covering (even try to avoid it). I remember just before God told me to do this, I was in the market and saw a Muslim woman wearing a burqa. In my thought I said, " Thank God i don't have to be force to wear this thing, and deal with this type of legalism." Little did I know what God would have me do it.

It took me some time to start wearing this head scarf (I tie it like a bandanna). I felt the spirit of God convicting me. One day a prophetess ( who does not wear a head scarf all the time) told me that God told me to do something, and I refuse. That I am rebellious. This prophetess thought it was to do with me not wanting to marry (God did not tell her what I was being rebellious about), but I knew it was to do with the head covering. Before this I had told the pastor wife and that same prophetess I was hearing this voice tell me to cover me hair outside of church, for them to pray for me so I can get a confirmation. They told me it might be the devil. But I knew deep inside it was God. So the prophetess who told me I was rebelling did not know it was due to the head covering thing that I told her to pray for me about.

This head covering thing is a struggle for me. But God confirm that he approves of it because when I would directing service (worship team) his spirit would manifest. So those like the pastor wife (even my own mother) who claim it was the devil realize that since God was with me while I was wearing the head covering (directing service) that it was not of the devil after all. I told my sister about the revelation God has been giving me. She believe me, but claim it was just a personal thing. One day God gave her dream that she needed to throw away certain things and not wear them. She works at the hospital so she can't go around wearing a head scarf. I do not push for anyone to do that. I believe that when one is praying (private or public) it is good to cover ones hair, but I certainly would not tell anyone to wear it outside of the church unless God tells them too. My conviction is that God wants us to cover our heads in church and when we pray (outside of church), but I don't go any further than that unless God is telling someone personally to do what he is telling me to do.

Before this, from 2009-present God told me Jesus Christ is return soon. From time to time I would hear God say this. I think this Holiness movement happening now is a sign. To go back to the days of old time religion. Remember in the 1800's Christian women in America and around the world used to cover their heads even outside the church. They used to dress modesty until hats came into the picture. Then after that women stop covering their heads if they did not have a hat on. I don't like covering my hair especially outside of church, but I do it out of obedience to God. I also notice more and more women are getting revelations from God to cover their heads and be modest. I think its a end times movement just before the return of Christ.

In terms of your wife, please pray and seek God for yourself on her situation. I'm a very stubborn individual and if God himself had not told me to do this, I would never had wanted it. I cry so much, I felt like a part of me died when I was ask by God to cover my hair. I always felt bad for Muslim women who had to endure such a thing (to a greater extent), but somehow I found myself in this situation. When you read the Bible you see how God may at times call certain people to do strange things like his prophet. He tells one prophet to marry a prostitute and one to walk around naked and prophecy. He is the same God as yesterday. If I knew it were not of God, I would never do it. I hate hair coverings, but God is doing this as a sign of the last days. A sign to come back to the church of old, the truth. Please pray and ask God if he is telling your wife this is what he wants. Know that it is a sin to not allow your wife to do what God tells her to. Yes some people are legalistic in this sense, but know that there is a calling for modern women to do this. There are also women who have a head scarf that is being used by Satan. But its like anything else. The enemy copies the things God and pollute it. I post this to tell you this could be of God, but please pray and seek the truth about your wife. Don't make a decision based on your emotions, but based it on God. You can only get the true answer by seeking God on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The covering for a woman is not a hat, nor a veil. A woman's covering according to the scriptures is her "hair". In Pauls time it was a shame for a man to have long hair (how long is too long you may ask). And a woman was not to have her hair cut short (how short is too short you may ask). Well in investigating this I learned that in old time when the Isrealites came out of bondage that the Egyptians, the men like to have their hair down to or past their shoulders, and the woman would cut their hair so it was above the shoulders. So this could be the answer as to how in old times the Jews looked at such things as pagan and not godly. Also there is no scripture, not even in the hard LAW times that a woman was to not cut her hair, however I think if a gentile wanted to become one of the Israelites she had to first shear all her hair off, perhaps like them men were to be circumcised. However even though Paul did not believe a woman should have short hair, he also said that however their was no custom or law stating such. Also I can't find out how Paul, or why Paul knew that the angels rejoiced in a woman's long hair, the most i can think is that he had a word of wisdom or saw it in a vision.

1 Corinthians 11 King James Version (KJV)

11 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.

3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.

5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

8 For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man.

9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.

12 For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.

13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

Upvote 0

Granny2Shoes

Jan 25, 2015
Indiana
✟15,197.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
The church in which I received the Holy Spirit was a "holiness" church. In this church the women did not cut their hair, did not wear make-up, did not wear slacks. They believed you did not cut your hair because it is the glory of God per Paul. Their rules were derived from one of the Epistles of Paul. I was taught that this was a requirement to have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. However, shortly after I received the Holy Spirit I started questioning this premise. I found Catholic Charismatics and Assembly of God women wearing make-up, cutting their hair, and wearing slacks. I then changed to an Assembly of God church. However, I will say that at the time I went to that church I learned about the Holy Spirit. I asked the pastor why I kept coming back when I didn't believe the way they did. He then told me the Holy Spirit was calling me. Up until then I only knew the Father and Jesus. I didn't even know the Holy Spirit.

I will say that at that time in my life I really needed that church and I really needed the Holy Spirit. I now know that God will use anything at His disposal to reach us. I look back on my life since I've come to Christ and I can see God's hand on me even when I was unaware of it. When we learn what He wants us to learn, he sends us to the next step until we finally attain the goal of becoming full in Him.

Maybe some churches teach grace and want us to submit to the standard of the Law, but God has a plan and uses all churches to achieve it.

All things work to the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I've have no problems with anyone doing what God tells them even if it seems silly, unnecessary to me. The Holy Spirit leads all who are his and he doesn't ask us just to do what was said in the Bible. The problem comes when we think because God told us to do something that God wants us to have everyone else to do the thing He asked us to do.

I've meet people who followed the holiness church type of doctrines. I have a cousin who felt they weren't to wear a wedding ring. So they got married with a wedding ring and then took them off and placed them in a special place where they lived. He write a whole theological paper to explain why they did this.

Basically for me Jesus is my holiness. Being a member of Him and His body and letting everyone know that its Jesus who is my God, identifying with Him is my cross and I love people because God has first loved me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums