We Were Wrong: More American Children Die From Accidental Shootings Than We Originally Thought

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
When President Barack Obama announced last week his plans for reducing gun deaths, Pacific Standard wrote about the science that generally backed his proposed policies. There was one exception: Obama said he was going to work with private companies to improve "childproof" gun technology, such as fingerprint readers that would allow only a gun's owner to fire it. Because the number of young children who die every year from accidental shootings is comparatively small, we wrote, such laws may not make a large statistical impact, although it is, of course, important to prevent such tragedies. We based our conclusion on an accidental gun-death count from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. As it turns out, our assessment was somewhat flawed.

The official government tally—69 deaths among children younger than 15 in 2013—likely undercounts the true number of children who die from gun accidents by half, according to an investigation published by the New York Times in 2013. According to CDC estimates, 538 children under 15 were injured as a result of gun accidents in 2013 alone, and 9,818 were injured between 2001 and 2013.

http://www.psmag.com/politics-and-l...cidental-shootings-than-we-originally-thought

Aureus

May 20, 2014
✟9,262.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Call me callous if you like, but 538 children under the age of 15 remains a tiny, and as far as policy goes, insignificant number. Fingerprint scanners on a gun so that no one else can use it because of that? No.

The perspective here is that, using the US Demographics of ages 0-14 as it was easier to get to. 538 children under the age of 15 represents 0.0009% of the US Population ages 14 and under. It would be an ever smaller percentage for 15 and under. That means people are doing an incredible job of keeping accidents involving guns and kids to a minimum already. And to improve on this, we're talking about adding fingerprint scanners to a gun? What a joke.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Call me callous if you like, but 538 children under the age of 15 remains a tiny, and as far as policy goes, insignificant number. Fingerprint scanners on a gun so that no one else can use it because of that? No.

While I don't really disagree with you, I think this shows how wonky our sense of risk is. If it had been 538 kids were killed in a given year in terrorist attacks in the country or something like that, the country would be outraged.

I just find it really interesting what sorts of dangers prompt a massive "we have to do something about this NOW! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" outrage, and what barely gets a shrug.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
In the year 2013, 69 children (age 14 and under) died of accidental firearm discharges.

In the same year, 65 childrend (age 14 and under) died because of accidental poisonings.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf
I understand your point here, but that is not a good comparison. How many homes have children with things that could poison people versus how many homes have children with guns? The rate for accidental child deaths is much higher for homes with guns than poisonings.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand your point here, but that is not a good comparison. How many homes have children with things that could poison people versus how many homes have children with guns? The rate for accidental child deaths is much higher for homes with guns than poisonings.
But look how much more money businesses would save by not having to put those warning labels on chemicals.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

The perspective here is that, using the US Demographics of ages 0-14 as it was easier to get to. 538 children under the age of 15 represents 0.0009% of the US Population ages 14 and under. It would be an ever smaller percentage for 15 and under. That means people are doing an incredible job of keeping accidents involving guns and kids to a minimum already. And to improve on this, we're talking about adding fingerprint scanners to a gun? What a joke.
Can you imagine the response if terrorists killed 538 under 15 year olds tomorrow? Can you honestly tell me the response would be less severe than looking at improving firearm security?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you imagine the response if terrorists killed 538 under 15 year olds tomorrow? Can you honestly tell me the response would be less severe than looking at improving firearm security?
Terrorists are so stupid sometimes. The smart terrorist would join the NRA and some militia gun nut group. And campaign for Cruz.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Terrorists are so stupid sometimes. The smart terrorist would join the NRA and some militia gun nut group. And campaign for Cruz.
Terrorists already do. Don't know if the Bundys and Duck Dynast types are my idea of smart though.

Reactions: stamperben
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Then we need to quit wasting money on those silly warning labels.
I think that children should be poison trained. Stop, don't drink, leave the room, tell an adult.

Now, what would make a good mascot?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Many times more kids 14 and under are killed in vehicle crashes than are accidently killed by guns.
Maybe we should add some laws to keep that number from growing. How about making it a law that they wear seatbelts and that infants and toddlers sit in approved car seats. Maybe add airbags.

Let's get radical and make every operator of a motor vehicle pass a test in order to get a license to drive. And register every vehicle as long as we're dreaming about saving lives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Maybe we should add some laws to keep that number from growing. How about making it a law that they wear seatbelts and that infants and toddlers sit in approved car seats. Maybe add airbags.

Let's get radical and make every operator of a motor vehicle pass a test in order to get a license to drive. And register every vehicle as long as we're dreaming about saving lives.
Now you're just preparing the big car grab.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

"No Matter the Price

No Matter how New

The Best Safety Device

In Your Car is YOU."

Burma Shave (Circa 1950)

Also

"There's no cure for stupid." Ron White

Upvote 0

AionPhanes

Jan 1, 2015
Michigan
✟18,174.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Wouldn't finger print scanners mean that all guns would require batteries? Sounds like a rather expensive upgrade and dead batteries could equal dead owner. It's hard for poor people, precisely those who are apt to live in dangerous neighborhoods, to afford decent handguns as it is.

Upvote 0