Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So, you say government must be limited and then you say we need Obama. What has Obama done to limit the size of government?
He got us out of Iraq.
What has Obama done to uphold the sovereignty of the states?
He gave states the right to decide how they will fulfill workfare requirements. FactCheck.org : Does Obama’s Plan ‘Gut Welfare Reform’?
Does Obama understand the human need for liberty?
Yes.

Does Romney understand the need of the 47% to be respected for their contributions and hard work, rather than being told they are not taking personal responsibility for their lives?
Does he [Obama] understand the human need for an honest president?
Yes.

Does Romney understand that he should avoid whoppers such as "The Belly Up Senior" or "The Parakeet"? http://www.christianforums.com/t7696039/

Does he [Obama] understand the human need for a person to be able to keep money that he's earned?
Yes, provided he pays for the services he receives.

If a person is using public roads, public police services, etc., he should be paying taxes to support them.

What "human need" are you referring to?
I am talking about the things we need to do if we want to maintain a great society.

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
But the point is that we don't need NASA. That isn't to say that it doesn't have value, or that it shouldn't be funded, but we don't "need" it. The country won't stop operating without it, it won't effect our food supply or our defense capabilities
And we don't "need" schools or roads. If we are fine with going back to the stone age, we could survive without many things.

But if we want to continue to advance as a great society, then we need the functions done by FEMA, NASA, NOAA, etc.

(the military, specifically Vandenberg AFB, has launch abilities) -- the country will continue just fine without NASA.
Right. When I say we need NASA, I do not mean we need that exact organization. We need the functions performed by that organization. Whether the satellite is launched by NASA or somebody else, if we want to advance in our surveillance of approaching storms, somebody will need to do that function.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,769.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NASA also does DoD work. You just don't hear about it much.

I'm not sure how much they are still doing, or need to be doing, now that the shuttles are retired. The military "needed" the shuttle, or at least it was cheaper to include it as part of NASA shuttle missions (plus it helped justify some of the money spent on NASA).

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure how much they are still doing, or need to be doing, now that the shuttles are retired. The military "needed" the shuttle, or at least it was cheaper to include it as part of NASA shuttle missions (plus it helped justify some of the money spent on NASA).

Don't get me wrong, I am convinced ET isn't hiding on Mars. I could agree with a smaller NASA, but I can't agree with no NASA.

I do agree with your idea for a review of cost/benefit of each federal agency, under the assumption the federal government has grown too large. Sort of reminds me of WalMart. Too many of them!

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why do we need NASA? Why do we need the National Park Service? Why do we need NOAA? Why do we need the National Weather Service?

To effect our safety and happiness.

As Jefferson put it:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
OTOH, there are typically private, non-profit groups that have truckloads of supplies ready to go when the disaster hits. The Red Cross typically gets volunteers and supplies in quickly, various churches, etc.

Ah, I see. So you disagree that the guy who suggested we dump dollar bills to the local governments and wish them well when an emergency occurs. In an emergency we actually need truck loads of supplies, not just dollars.

I am glad for organizations like the Red Cross. But I don't see how the Red Cross would be the best source to direct the rescue efforts after a major disaster. What would be wrong with assigning government employees to do this, who are held accountable by officials who are held accountable by the people who elect them to do their job?

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I sure don't need FEMA! Having been through Hurricane Andrew (and later Wilma) FEMA only took money and offered no fairness to aid. Local churches and non govs could do wonders within their communities, knowing who is who and who needs what.

FEMA is too too political to do any real good. We had thousands of people living in their front yards when FEMA had hundreds of trailers parked in a plot of land just miles away.... they were saving them in case of something..... :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jeffwhosoever

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
When tornadoes leveled Tuscaloosa, it wasn't FEMA on the scene saving lives. It was neighbors and local first responders. All FEMA did was write out checks to those without insurance, and those checks would only buy a 30 year old used mobile home.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wake up, people. This election is so vitally important.

We are awake...we realize it's vitally important to get Obama out of office.

The people who are still in dreamland are the ones who think Obama's second term will be any different than the first.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
We are awake...we realize it's vitally important to get Obama out of office.

The people who are still in dreamland are the ones who think Obama's second term will be any different than the first.

I think it will be different, in a bad way. He has mentioned gun control since his nomination at the DNC. That took like 10 minutes. Can you imagine this guy with no re-election to worry about? Totally free to pursue his agenda?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think it will be different, in a bad way. He has mentioned gun control since his nomination at the DNC. That took like 10 minutes. Can you imagine this guy with no re-election to worry about? Totally free to pursue his agenda?

As it stands right now, our House of representatives is in our favor 242-193...hopefully they do the right thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We won't lose the House. Which will mean at least 2 more years of partisan warfare, if NObama wins. Been there, done that, why do it again?

Yeah, we need to get him out of there...I was just mentioning this in terms of us having a safety net if he wins.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, we need to get him out of there...I was just mentioning this in terms of us having a safety net if he wins.

Agreed. Better to stop stupid ideas than jump over the cliff with him. But, that is 2 years of lost time we ain't got, Americans.

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Don't they say to plan on being cut off for a minimum of three days?

If you want to feed yourself in the immediate aftermath of a disaster, start stockpiling MREs and getting prepared now. Don't want until the last minute to descent on the grocery store like a ravening horde of locusts.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Don't they say to plan on being cut off for a minimum of three days?

If you want to feed yourself in the immediate aftermath of a disaster, start stockpiling MREs and getting prepared now. Don't want until the last minute to descent on the grocery store like a ravening horde of locusts.

Very true. Top off our gas tanks too. I had one vehicle on empty, the second on 1/8 tank. Fortunately, I was up at 4 AM the day after, drove to another state, filled up and hit Wal mart, and was fine.

Also, batteries of all types sold out except AA batteries. Now, I have six flashlights that run on one AA cell. Also, have one phone that doesn't require AC power. Wireless phones are no use when the AC is down. Cell phones also were poor. Text messages went through even when voice comm was gone.

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Very true. Top off our gas tanks too. I had one vehicle on empty, the second on 1/8 tank. Fortunately, I was up at 4 AM the day after, drove to another state, filled up and hit Wal mart, and was fine.

Dang. I have 15 gallons of gasoline in metal jerry cans stored out in my shed. I can fill up three more plastic ones, too.

Also, batteries of all types sold out except AA batteries. Now, I have six flashlights that run on one AA cell. Also, have one phone that doesn't require AC power. Wireless phones are no use when the AC is down. Cell phones also were poor. Text messages went through even when voice comm was gone.

I have a bunch of flashlights and a bunch of extra batteries hanging around.

I've also got three hurricane lamps, ten gallons of kerosene, an alcohol lamp, half a gallon or so of alcohol, several flashlights that are dynamo or solar charged, a couple flashlights that sit on holders in the wall and turn on automatically if the power goes out a bunch of AA, AAA, C, and D flashlights scattered around the house.

And I'm not expecting a hurricane.

:cool:

Don't be a sheeple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0