Kati
Apr 2, 2004
Arizona
✟1,886.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Mother Angelica's Poor Clare nuns have started a ministry in Yuma, AZ. A group of Poor Clares from Yuma came to our parish today and I was hoping my children would get to meet a real live nun and find out what they do. Well, Sister Johanna got down on her knees and talked with all of my children. When she found out that our 4 year old has learned to pray the rosary, she reached into her pocket and gave my daughter a rosary ring of her own. :) As you can imagine, the 4 year old is walking on clouds and praying 'Hail Marys' ever since. :thumbsup:

...just had to share my excitement! :)

3toraiseup

Kati
Apr 2, 2004
Arizona
✟1,886.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think so... they were only at our parish for the 10:30 mass which makes me think they must be going somewhere else later today.

We heard they were coming last week and I made us pass up a camping trip so we could meet them. Then, in all the busyness of the week, I forgot completely that they were coming! This morning, I was even trying to talk hubby into a 9am mass at another parish. Then was surprised and delighted to discover we made it to the mass they were coming to! :sorry: That just shows me that it was meant to be. :angel:

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mother Angelica's Poor Clare nuns have started a ministry in Yuma, AZ. A group of Poor Clares from Yuma came to our parish today and I was hoping my children would get to meet a real live nun and find out what they do. Well, Sister Johanna got down on her knees and talked with all of my children. When she found out that our 4 year old has learned to pray the rosary, she reached into her pocket and gave my daughter a rosary ring of her own. :) As you can imagine, the 4 year old is walking on clouds and praying 'Hail Marys' ever since. :thumbsup:

This is awesome! :) :hug: :hug: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I rejoice with you!!! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

That is awesome, and their interaction with your daughter is absolutely precious!

By the way, they are a lot closer to us than Yuma, they are in Black Canyon City which is about 40 miles north of downtown Phoenix. They are currently trying to raise money to build their monastery and chapel, and they just had their first novice enter, she went to St. Mary's in Chandler and is the sister of a diocesan seminarian.

Check out their website: http://www.desertnuns.com

Upvote 0

3toraiseup

Kati
Apr 2, 2004
Arizona
✟1,886.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That is awesome, and their interaction with your daughter is absolutely precious!

By the way, they are a lot closer to us than Yuma, they are in Black Canyon City which is about 40 miles north of downtown Phoenix. They are currently trying to raise money to build their monastery and chapel, and they just had their first novice enter, she went to St. Mary's in Chandler and is the sister of a diocesan seminarian.

Check out their website: http://www.desertnuns.com

Thanks for the website! I will check them out. I think the novice was present at the function. All the nuns were dressed in black or brown habits, but one was wearing a cream colored jumper with a cream colored habit.

I've been through Black Canyon a couple times on our way to Sedona - what beautiful country! I remember thinking how breathtaking it would be to live there - what a wonderful spot for a monastery.

Sister Johanna's simple gesture really did turn out to be something wonderful. My daughter went to bed still smiling and saying how she loves "her nun". She wanted to pray for her and kept her rosary ring under her pillow. Her older brother is jealous that she has a nun, but he doesn't. We'll have to work on that next. ;)

Upvote 0

JewelInHisCrown

Contributor
Nov 28, 2003
United States
Visit site
✟17,252.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the website! I will check them out. I think the novice was present at the function. All the nuns were dressed in black or brown habits, but one was wearing a cream colored jumper with a cream colored habit.

I've been through Black Canyon a couple times on our way to Sedona - what beautiful country! I remember thinking how breathtaking it would be to live there - what a wonderful spot for a monastery.

Sister Johanna's simple gesture really did turn out to be something wonderful. My daughter went to bed still smiling and saying how she loves "her nun". She wanted to pray for her and kept her rosary ring under her pillow. Her older brother is jealous that she has a nun, but he doesn't. We'll have to work on that next. ;)
that is so wonderful to hear! I am following their journey through their website and newsletter on building their monastery. The novice was Sister Mary who was just received a few months ago.

They were originaly called the Phoenix Phive..now changed to Nix Six with the addition of Sister Mary. They came from Mother Angelica's Our Lady of the Angels Monastery in Alabama. Their name is Our Lady of Solitude and known as Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration.

Upvote 0

wiggsfly

Walking the tightrope of life
Nov 20, 2005
✟4,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been flying a few nuns and priests in and out of Kaluapapa all year. There are some truly dedicated and inspiring people....

....Kaluapapa is a still active leper colony on the north shore of the island of Molokai in Hawaii. Although the disease was cured about 50 years ago many of the patients still call this isolated and protected land home and there are a few kind sould who still look after them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SandCrab

Hey Wena!! Woza! Sizotandaza!
Oct 26, 2005
Exeter
✟13,764.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative

That really shows how blessed some of us are, when i read this thread i thought "A nun? I speak to a nun at least 2 a week whats with the excitment"? And then i realised people arent so blessed as to see a nun so often...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.