United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);62662791 said:
Love, from what I've been told, is like a race you're in - one you have to train for continually ...and that takes a lot of discipline to do. At times we fail, but we don't beat ourselves up over it anymore than a runner beats himself up that he didn't win every race - or may've struggled to perform. Just gotta stay in it.

I enjoyed reading what Bradley Nassif said once before when speaking on the Desert Fathers for today. As he said best in one of his articles entitled The Poverty of Love | Bradley Nassif | The Christian Vision Project (for excerpt):
Trinitarian Love
Some readers may be wondering whether all this talk of hard work will lead to "works righteousness," a focus on the self and a dependence on the self's efforts for salvation and sanctification. But the great monastic leaders disavowed such confusion. First, they understood that spiritual disciplines in themselves don't lead to loving obedience. Anthony the Great (4th century) was once asked by a fellow monk who exceeded Anthony in ascetic rigor (which was no small feat, by the way), "Anthony, I fast and pray more than you do, but you are more well known than I. Why is that so?" Anthony replied, "Because I love God more than you do." Anthony wasn't bragging. He was just telling it like it was.

When practiced in humility, ascetic rigor results in greater love. The monks fasted because they were hungry to love God more; they prayed because they wanted closer communion with God and neighbor; they contemplated so they could better fix their gaze on their divine spouse; they practiced silence because they wanted to hear God so they could speak and act more wisely to the people around them. The end goal of every spiritual practice employed by the monks was love. Second, in a treatise titled "On Those Who Think They Are Made Righteous by Works," Mark the Ascetic says grace is opposed to merit, but it is not opposed to effort: "The kingdom of heaven is not a reward for works, but a gift of grace prepared by the Master for his faithful servants." Why, then, did the monks sweat so profusely in the effort to refashion fallen humanity into the new creation? Different fathers answered in different ways, but with the same basic vision. Irenaeus put it this way: "The glory of God is a human fully alive." Athanasius wrote, "God became human so that humans might become divine." Together they tell us that we can't be truly godly unless we're first truly human. And we can't be truly human unless we're in communion with Christ in his Trinitarian relations.......But we need to aim not at love in the abstract but at love in the particular. Each individual needs to ask herself, "What is it that keeps me from love?" Whether it's anger, indifference, laziness, despondency, impulsiveness, or an evil imagination, St. Anthony advises us that each corresponding virtue requires its own special tool: "Whoever hammers a lump of iron first decides what he is going to make of it—a scythe, a sword, or an axe. Even so we ought to make up our minds what kind of virtue we want to forge, or else we labor in vain."

That's a good description. Thanks. I'm doing better the past few days. It's good to be out of that cave. LOL :)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That's a good description. Thanks. I'm doing better the past few days. It's good to be out of that cave. LOL :)
Glad you're doing better - although which cave are we talking on?:)

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);62663442 said:
Glad you're doing better - although which cave are we talking on?:)
Well, the dark cave of unsettled feelings in the heart and kinda like walking around with a dark rain cloud over you for about 3 or so weeks. ^_^ The sun's come out. :D

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well, the dark cave of unsettled feelings in the heart and kinda like walking around with a dark rain cloud over you for about 3 or so weeks. ^_^ The sun's come out. :D
That's deep. Gonna have to steal that analogy - as it's so true. And sometimes, just as it is when you've been in a cave/utter darkness for a long time, it can hurt your eyes when you come out into the light since it takes awhile to adjust once you've gotten accustomed to the dark. But it's cool when you come above ground again.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);62663521 said:
That's deep. Gonna have to steal that analogy - as it's so true. And sometimes, just as it is when you've been in a cave/utter darkness for a long time, it can hurt your eyes when you come out into the light since it takes awhile to adjust once you've gotten accustomed to the dark. But it's cool when you come above ground again.
:)

Just to let you know, I'll get to those videos you posted earlier today probably tomorrow. :) I've got my women's gathering this evening. :)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
:)

Just to let you know, I'll get to those videos you posted earlier today probably tomorrow. :) I've got my women's gathering this evening. :)
Whenever you get to it, praying it'd bless you in your journey :)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Praying for you and hoping all's well on your side of the street - as you were on my mind and I wanted to let you know your back is covered. Praying for good news and SUNSHINE where you're at.....:)

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);64684558 said:
Praying for you and hoping all's well on your side of the street - as you were on my mind and I wanted to let you know your back is covered. Praying for good news and SUNSHINE where you're at.....:)

Thank you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums