Watered down churches

Play Maker

Mar 22, 2015
✟15,132.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I was saved by the grace of God as a child and absolutely loved going to church growing up. However, I began to notice changes in the church starting about fifteen years ago. These changes have diluted my church going experience, thus I rarely go anymore. To me, political correctness has evolved in the church to the point that a sinner can no longer be called a sinner. Churches are moving towards fulfilling physical needs in lieu of spiritual needs, in my experience. I have gone from church to church to church in an attempt to find the church of my youth. All I keep finding are watered down sermons preached by uninspired preachers and contemporary praise songs accompanied by full band ensembles. Am I alone in this or have any others had this experience?

Reactions: Avid

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I was saved by the grace of God as a child and absolutely loved going to church growing up. However, I began to notice changes in the church starting about fifteen years ago. These changes have diluted my church going experience, thus I rarely go anymore. To me, political correctness has evolved in the church to the point that a sinner can no longer be called a sinner. Churches are moving towards fulfilling physical needs in lieu of spiritual needs, in my experience. I have gone from church to church to church in an attempt to find the church of my youth. All I keep finding are watered down sermons preached by uninspired preachers and contemporary praise songs accompanied by full band ensembles. Am I alone in this or have any others had this experience?

Most Christians today are in churches like you are describing, compromised for political correctness and popular trends in music. The changes started longer than 15 years ago, the hippie generation had a big impact in the churches through the "Jesus movement". Contemporary Christian music and Christian Rock came out of that, types of music which I refer to as "airhead spirituality" because if they ever do attempt to make a doctrinal statement in the words they sing, it is rarely biblically sound.

It sounds like you need to start a church. You would probably get some good responses from running a cheap ad in a local newspaper to start an old-time gospel church.

Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... I began to notice changes in the church starting about fifteen years ago...
It is good that things were not as bad more than 15 years ago as they are today. Some Churches changed 30 years ago. Others about 50 years ago. Yet, many started down that path over 100 years ago.

It is hard to find a good Church to attend. If we have an idea of what should be preached from the pulpit, we are not satisfied with a counterfeit. Mostly, all we can find is a "Mutual Admiration Society." This is otherwise known as a Club. That is just a group of people who think alike, and they like each other. They come together, encourage one another, and say a few things they all like... then everyone goes home pacified.

I have a good quote for you:
During the last two or three generations the pulpit has given less and less prominence to doctrinal preaching, until today - with very rare exceptions - it has no place at all.
Arthur W. Pink (1886-1952)
More than 60 years ago, Arthur W. Pink made this statement about the preaching of sound doctrine in the pulpit. Don't be fooled by the world, and think that there is no big deal in "getting saved" or in "making a decision for Christ." This is part of a LIE that says you just agree that Jesus paid it all, and you are saved. However, someone who actually receives the promise of the Gospel - the Salvation of their Soul - will be earnestly and relentlessly seeking the LORD with their whole heart.
The trials that those men do meet withal
That are obedient to the heavenly call
Are manifold, and suited to the flesh,
And come, and come, and come again afresh;
That now, or some time else, we by them may
Be taken, overcome, and cast away.
Oh let the pilgrims, let the pilgrims then
Be vigilant, and quit themselves like men!
John Bunyan (1628−1688)
Luke 16
16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

By pressing into the kingdom of God is denoted a breaking through opposition and difficulties. There is in the expression a plain intimation of difficulty. If there were no opposition, but the way was all clear and open, there would be no need of pressing to get along. They are so set for salvation, that those things by which others are discouraged, and stopped, and turned back, do not stop them, but they press through them.
Jonathan Edwards (1703−1758)
Don't let someone keep you from pressing into the kingdom of God.
Men dead in profession are too deeply steeped in selfrighteousness to bestow an anxious thought on a matter to them apparently of such little significance, as whether their souls be saved or lost.
J. C. Philpot (1802−1869)

You shall have them boast of their Faith and Hope in God's Mercy, when they lie upon their death−bed; yea, you shall have them speak as confidently of their salvation, as if they had served God all their days: when the truth is, the bottom of this their boasting is, because they have no bands in their death.
John Bunyan (1628−1688)
There is a Strait Gate (restrictive) and a Narrow Way that leads to life. The Churches that are not leading you to LIFE are taking you elsewhere. Be very careful.

Upvote 0

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Do not take the problem lightly. Great men of God have preached on the matter for centuries.

Matthew 11
12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

There are innumerable difficulties in the way; such as few conquer: most of them that try have not resolution, courage, earnestness, and constancy enough; but they fail, give up, and perish. The difficulties are too many and too great for them that do not violently press forward. They never get along, but stick by the way; are turned aside, or turned back, and ruined. Matt. vii. 14.
Jonathan Edwards (1703−1758)

Matthew 7
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Luke 13
24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

All the world is against him that shall be saved.
John Bunyan (1628−1688)
If you violently press toward the mark of the high calling of God, you may obtain the prize. So run that you may obtain!

Upvote 0

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This was just posted on another topic, but is applicable here as well.

... The fact that one Church has more members/visitors than another is NOT NECESSARILY a good thing or a bad thing. Many HUNDREDS of people have attended the Church where I go, albeit, they did not come there all at once!

At one point a number of years ago, the pastor looked out at the congregation, saw there were as many people as had come at any one time before, and asked the LORD in prayer to show him how many were there because their heart sought something from God, and were really as sincere as they put-on. In a few months, there were only about 1/5 as many coming there.

If the Church preaches the truth, and the Holy Spirit is speaking that truth to the hearts of the people who hear, some will respond, and others will be offended. The numbers can mean different things, and should not be the gauge for whether the Church is preaching the truth, unless you assume what the scriptures say, and figure that, if the world likes it, there is something lacking!!!
Whatever makes Christ's Gospel palatable to the carnal nature does this by mixtures that are adulterations.
Arthur T. Pierson (1837−1911)

There may be in a crowd a perfusion of hypocrites and mere professors, who come in just to hang upon the lips of man, to fill their heads with notions, opinions and views, whilst their hearts are destitute of the humbling grace of God.
Thomas Bradbury (1726−1790)

All the world is against him that shall be saved .
John Bunyan (1628−1688)
We should be careful how we estimate the value of things. Some small things are of great value (eg: diamonds) and some large things are a huge detriment (eg: a no-good rust-bucket of a ship.) We can get immense, unseen value from the small voice of God in the heart of the humble, and nothing, but trouble from the blowhard that speaks through loud speakers to a huge congregation.

One such "articulate" preacher was leading a LARGE Church where friends went. They were big, successful and active! A few years later, that pastor stole some money, another man's wife, skipped town and that huge Church disbanded from the disgrace and scandal. We find people who can talk "real nice," but if they are not saying what they should, and leading in a godly manner, the whole thing is a waste and a detriment to any who happen by!
God can lead you if you are sincere, and seeking His will.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, Playmaker, christendom is getting further from Christianity. One can see much of what God has always intended for His testimony in the world at the site: biblecounsel.net, I believe. God still has His testimony in the world if one will seek it. Look up always!

Upvote 0

madera23

May 14, 2014
✟634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican

I am in agreement with you. 6

Last edited:
Upvote 0

madera23

May 14, 2014
✟634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, Playmaker, christendom is getting further from Christianity. One can see much of what God has always intended for His testimony in the world at the site: biblecounsel.net, I believe. God still has His testimony in the world if one will seek it. Look up always!

God is within, not in the world. Look within, not in the world.

Upvote 0

skittlesgirl

Mar 29, 2015
✟15,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Churches are definitely watered down, and it is sad. I had to leave the church I grew up in because they were more concerned with the number of people and money than teaching the Bible. I encourage you to seek out a Bible-believing church that emphasizes the importance of studying it. They do exist! :)

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Check out Dr. Phil Kidd's website, there is a link there where you can watch him preach every Friday at 8:30. By the way you talk, I know you will love brother Kidd...awesome man of God with an amazing life story, 35 years of faithful service after God got hold of him in dreadful ways as a teenager, and did real miracles as he surrendered to God, other great men of God seeing the hand of God on his life early after God got hold of him.

I just watched him a little while ago, had me on my face in tears right here in my room crying out to God and I expect God heard and will hold me to that conversation I had with him tonight. Not many preachers are used of God like that, to convict of sin and make a person see their need of His mercy and grace.

You are not alone in your disappointment with many churches today.

Dr. Kidd's church is in Tennessee, I hope to visit there soon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
This was just posted on another topic, but is applicable here as well.

God can lead you if you are sincere, and seeking His will.

One such "articulate" preacher was leading a LARGE Church where friends went. They were big, successful and active! A few years later, that pastor stole some money, another man's wife, skipped town and that huge Church disbanded from the disgrace and scandal. We find people who can talk "real nice," but if they are not saying what they should, and leading in a godly manner, the whole thing is a waste and a detriment to any who happen by!

Sounds very much like a church I was in when a bunch of stuff suddenly all got exposed at once. Also sounds like another church I had moved away from a few years prior which wasn't quite as bad...at least the pastor was not involved in the crimes that time and that pastor stayed walking with the Lord....but it sure gave him a black eye because of theft that happened under his leadership.

That first church I was in that was the biggest mess with the pastor exposed along with several others in affairs..that Pastor was a very charismatic, entertaining speaker, a pretty good preacher....even when he was deep in wicked sin. Just goes to show how people can be fooled. I knew his doctrine had some weaknesses, but I was shocked when his sin was exposed along with several other people.......at least two couples where adultery was going on and there were others involved in other things.....big mess, too many details to keep track of, all exposed at once.

Churches with weak doctrine in the pulpit probably have some sin being covered up in the leadership if not in the pastor. There was a Pentecostal church in town where if I walked past it before their service started, I would see the preacher in his car tipping a flask. He wasn't spitting it out, it wasn't mouthwash. Also knew a female Pentecostal preacher who would spend the night with a man on Saturday before preaching on Sunday.

I won't sit in a church that is not preaching judgment against sin so hard that even the preacher himself can't stand against it.

I was told some of the churches in town here are Marijuana friendly from the pulpit on down. I didn't ask who they are, didn't even want to know. I know I won't be in those churches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Play Maker

Mar 22, 2015
✟15,132.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the replies. It is simply discouraging to see churches become so worldly. I know of several churches that have discontinued Sunday and Wednesday night services altogether. Others will schedule services around sporting events such as the Superbowl. I will be attending a start up church this Sunday. This will be their fifth service total. Supposedly, the church was begun by those who desire church services the way it used to be.

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the replies. It is simply discouraging to see churches become so worldly. I know of several churches that have discontinued Sunday and Wednesday night services altogether. Others will schedule services around sporting events such as the Superbowl. I will be attending a start up church this Sunday. This will be their fifth service total. Supposedly, the church was begun by those who desire church services the way it used to be.

sounds good...be strong, don't compromise. If you see error and they won't agree, don't stay or you will get caught up in the judgment when it falls.

Yep, gone worldly is the basic problem, and they don't even see that the things they are doing and tolerating are worldly, and they are opening themselves up to personal corrupting influences as well as corruption of the whole assembly.

I was in a church that had a good core of godly men, but their policies tolerated a lot of worldly entertainments and pass times. There were people in the church who were known to be fornicators but they were not brought into church discipline as the Bible says they should have been. Some people asked why not, but then it just got overlooked. It was a compromise with worldly things for worldly purposes. The godly leadership is still there, but it seems like the growth of the church slowed, I believe that church shrunk....one day I intend to go back there and visit too, ... to see if my predictions of the results of worldly compromise were true...and say hello to some of the godly people there who did have a good effect on my life and I hold fond memories for them. I would not be a member of that church again because I'm sure they have not changed, tolerating some compromises with worldly ways.

Upvote 0