Was Yeshua saved by the Law of God?

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Sure, ok. Keeping the law saved him from sin, that's fair to say. However I think you probably mean "save" in a way not directly connected to the soteriology of the epistles.
Yes, I mean saved in a way that gets a person to live for eternity/heaven/new earth/Lord's wedding/etc.

Upvote 0

Stancet

May 20, 2016
Tennessee
✟22,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I say YES!!!! It was His proof of innocence. It was what lead Him on the sinless life.
And what was Yeshua 'saved' from? What did the law save Messiah from? The law is what led him to be sinless?
Sure, ok. Keeping the law saved him from sin, that's fair to say. However I think you probably mean "save" in a way not directly connected to the soteriology of the epistles.

I think I understand the question Visionary is asking. The answer is easy, but definitely worth knowing. Firstly, everyone deserves Hell for their sin. Jesus is the only person who didn't deserve Hell because he lived a perfect life. Jesus was not "saved". He went to heaven because The Father accepted him back into heaven for living such a spotless life and gave him exactly what he deserved.

We (ordinary people) need to be saved because we will get what we deserve unless we ask Jesus to take the punishment of our sins for us. 2 Corinthians 5:21 says, "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."

So in essence, Jesus had nothing to be saved from (unless he had sinned, which he didn't). The law did not save him, but obedience to the law kept him from being condemned. Because the law has only the power to punish lawbreakers. Not to save them. But Jesus was filled with the righteousness of God which kept him from sinning or breaking the law, and ultimately seated him at the right hand of the Father in heaven.

Upvote 0

Daniel Gregg

Messianic, House of Yisra'el
Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
✟15,835.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
ESV Leviticus 18:5 You shall therefore keep my statutes and my rules; if a person does them, he shall live by them: I am the LORD.

ESV Ezekiel 18:9 walks in my statutes, and keeps my rules by acting faithfully-- he is righteous; he shall surely live, declares the Lord GOD.

ESV Ezekiel 3:21 But if you warn the righteous person not to sin, and he does not sin, he shall surely live, because he took warning, and you will have delivered your soul."

Most people equivocate saved ONLY with an undeserved mercy of some sort. But this is not Scriptural:

ESV Matthew 24:13 But the one who endures to the end will be saved.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I think I understand the question Visionary is asking. The answer is easy, but definitely worth knowing. Firstly, everyone deserves Hell for their sin. Jesus is the only person who didn't deserve Hell because he lived a perfect life. Jesus was not "saved". He went to heaven because The Father accepted him back into heaven for living such a spotless life and gave him exactly what he deserved.

We (ordinary people) need to be saved because we will get what we deserve unless we ask Jesus to take the punishment of our sins for us. 2 Corinthians 5:21 says, "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."

So in essence, Jesus had nothing to be saved from (unless he had sinned, which he didn't). The law did not save him, but obedience to the law kept him from being condemned. Because the law has only the power to punish lawbreakers. Not to save them. But Jesus was filled with the righteousness of God which kept him from sinning or breaking the law, and ultimately seated him at the right hand of the Father in heaven.

"everyone deserves Hell for their sin.... We (ordinary people) need to be saved because we will get what we deserve unless we ask Jesus to take the punishment of our sins for us."

If our punishment is eternal torment in hell, then asking Jesus to take our punishment would be to send him to hell to receive unending torment.

" The law did not save him, but obedience to the law kept him from being condemned. Because the law has only the power to punish lawbreakers. "

Yeah I think that is fair to say as well, though I don't think that usage of "save" is equal to Paul's usage of the word.

Likewise, not eating fatty food "saves" me from getting fat.

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I say YES!!!! It was His proof of innocence. It was what lead Him on the sinless life.

No. Yeshua was born sinless. Sin is passed through the male seed. Eve was deceived Adam was not. Adam ate knowing full well that he was sinning.

Yeshua was conceived by the Ruach Hakodesh as such he was not born a sinner. It was this fact that because he was spiritually G-d that he could walk flawlessness in keeping Torah. As he said, he did not come to abolish Torah but rather he came to keep as a duty, to provide as an example of HOW to walk upright before Torah.

He was not redeemed by Torah because he had no need of Redemption. For if his righteousness was in the keeping of Torah he could not be the eternal sacrifice for others. If sin was found in him he could not offer a sacrifice of others as his righteousness before the law could be a redemption for himself but not others. Only when he was sinless and born that way, having led a sinless life could he then be eligible to be the sin offering for us. That which has sin cannot expunge the sin of others.

Furthermore, the Torah does not save. Grace is what saves. Abraham was saved by grace through his faith in believing the promise of G-d. The purpose of Torah is not to save. Its purpose is to show us how to walk upright. Its purpose is to teach us HOW to love G-d and HOW to love our neighbor. All have been saved the same way. When you lived or live has nothing to do with how you are saved. It has always been the same from the very beginning.

Upvote 0

Daniel Gregg

Messianic, House of Yisra'el
Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
✟15,835.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
No. Yeshua was born sinless.

False dichotomy. The third possibility has already been mentioned. Saved need not mean saved from being a sinner, but saved from committing it in the first place by doing what is right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
No. Yeshua was born sinless. Sin is passed through the male seed. Eve was deceived Adam was not. Adam ate knowing full well that he was sinning.

Yeshua was conceived by the Ruach Hakodesh as such he was not born a sinner. It was this fact that because he was spiritually G-d that he could walk flawlessness in keeping Torah. As he said, he did not come to abolish Torah but rather he came to keep as a duty, to provide as an example of HOW to walk upright before Torah.

He was not redeemed by Torah because he had no need of Redemption. For if his righteousness was in the keeping of Torah he could not be the eternal sacrifice for others. If sin was found in him he could not offer a sacrifice of others as his righteousness before the law could be a redemption for himself but not others. Only when he was sinless and born that way, having led a sinless life could he then be eligible to be the sin offering for us. That which has sin cannot expunge the sin of others.

Furthermore, the Torah does not save. Grace is what saves. Abraham was saved by grace through his faith in believing the promise of G-d. The purpose of Torah is not to save. Its purpose is to show us how to walk upright. Its purpose is to teach us HOW to love G-d and HOW to love our neighbor. All have been saved the same way. When you lived or live has nothing to do with how you are saved. It has always been the same from the very beginning.
If it wasn't for these guidelines [Torah] there is no definition of sin, and no righteousness. By staying within the guidelines, Yeshua was saved to be our savior.

Reactions: shelley1952
Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeshua was saved by grace through faith. Although he himself was sinless and could live forever, he voluntarily took our sins upon himself. That brought the death penalty upon him. He was saved from death unto eternal life by grace through faith just like everyone else who needs to be saved. The Law had nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Yeshua was saved by grace through faith. Although he himself was sinless and could live forever, he voluntarily took our sins upon himself. That brought the death penalty upon him. He was saved from death unto eternal life by grace through faith just like everyone else who needs to be saved. The Law had nothing to do with it.
His sinless life saved Him.

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If it wasn't for these guidelines [Torah] there is no definition of sin, and no righteousness. By staying within the guidelines, Yeshua was saved to be our savior.
Yeshua was 100% G-d spiritually and 100% man physically. He was under no need of salvation. Being physically a man he was exposed to the temptation of being man but did not succumb to those temptations to sin. He was under no need of salvation. Again, if Messiah was not sinless from beginning to end, he could not be the sacrifice without spot or blemish

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
His sinless life saved Him.

Hogwash! Yeshua was SINLESS. He COULD NOT be the offering without spot or blemish if sin were found in him. He was not conceived in sin... he knew no sin became our sin offering.

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Hogwash! Yeshua was SINLESS. He COULD NOT be the offering without spot or blemish if sin were found in him. He was not conceived in sin... he knew no sin became our sin offering.
Yes... and His sinless life saved Him. For if He had sinned, we would be without hope, and He would not have lived past the grave.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
2Co 5:21a For He (Father YHWH) hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin;
Having taken our sins upon himself and being made sin for us, he suffered the penalty due us, death. Who would save him from death? Father YHWH, for he would not and could not save himself. The Father raised him from the dead. On what grounds? Being sinless? No, for he bore our sins and was made sin. That is why he died in the first place. He was saved by grace through faith.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
G-d is in no need of salvation PERIOD.
Every obedient step anyone takes whether God or man, is a step in the life of eternity... the ultimate salvation... ask God He should know how to live for eternity.. and He made these laws. He knows what saves man, keeps them sinless if they but walk in it.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
2Co 5:21a For He (Father YHWH) hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin;
Having taken our sins upon himself and being made sin for us, he suffered the penalty due us, death. Who would save him from death? Father YHWH, for he would not and could not save himself. The Father raised him from the dead. On what grounds? Being sinless? No, for he bore our sins and was made sin. That is why he died in the first place. He was saved by grace through faith.
His Father had no right to resurrect the sinful, unless Yeshua was successful at dying sinless. So we all need to see the law as not separated from His work of salvation but the key to His work of salvation.

Upvote 0