Was the Superbowl SSB as good with Lady Gaga as previous times like Whitney Houston?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Saw the Superbowl and had a debate with friends who saw it. Some felt she did good on the matter and was noteworthy.

Nonetheless, watching it, I cannot help but think that there's nothing really legendary anymore like it was in times past with voices that are memorable. I am still reminded of Whitney Houston in what she did - nothing compares..

Reactions: brinny

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Whitney's was great, but it was lip-synced. From what I've read, Gaga's was live (which surprised me). Whitney also struggled with some of the descending lines, whereas Gaga managed her delivery in a way that allowed her to maintain a consistent vocal tone.

Gaga's wasn't as good as Whitney's, but it was still good, and definitely better and more stylistically restrained than most of the attempts that have come from pop singers.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Saw the Superbowl and had a debate with friends who saw it. Some felt she did good on the matter and was noteworthy.

Nonetheless, watching it, I cannot help but think that there's nothing really legendary anymore like it was in times past with voices that are memorable. I am still reminded of Whitney Houston in what she did - nothing compares..

Awwwwww c'mon, she was great. Her range is more gifted than i thought it was.

God bless her...reminds me, i'm going to post a prayer for her in the Celebrities Prayer Thread.

i gives her a :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not a Lady Gaga fan but I thought she did a good job and kept it classy.

The Halftime show, sadly, was the complete opposite.

As far as I'm concerned, Bruno Mars and Prince can play every sporting event ever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟551,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I thought Gaga did a great job on a song that is notoriously difficult to sing. But then, despite her antics and outrageous outfits she's worn, she's always been a very talented singer/performer. Some like her, some don't but pretty much everyone should be able to recognize someone that can sing the Star Spangled Banner and do a good job with it.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Whitney's was great, but it was lip-synced. From what I've read, Gaga's was live (which surprised me). Whitney also struggled with some of the descending lines, whereas Gaga managed her delivery in a way that allowed her to maintain a consistent vocal tone.

Gaga's wasn't as good as Whitney's, but it was still good, and definitely better and more stylistically restrained than most of the attempts that have come from pop singers.

Did Whitney Houston Lip-Synch The National Anthem At The 1991 Super Bowl?

Read more at http://www.accesshollywood.com/vide...he-1991-super-bowl-32394/#v8eA0UVGEYyv9co4.99

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Whitney actually sung the song live as well - and she still sounded so much better....so the fact that it was lip-synced at the Super-Bowl doesn't really change anything.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Whitney actually sung the song live as well - and she still sounded so much better....

I'm not really sure what you're arguing. I never said that she never sang it live or that she wasn't capable of it. She just didn't do it at the super bowl, whereas Gaga did.

so the fact that it was lip-synced at the Super-Bowl doesn't really change anything.

Well, it kind of does. You said, "Nonetheless, watching it, I cannot help but think that there's nothing really legendary anymore like it was in times past with voices that are memorable. I am still reminded of Whitney Houston in what she did - nothing compares.."

What she did was record it in a studio and then lip-sync. Yes, the studio version was unrehearsed and was great (though not without flaw), but that's not the same as singing it outside in a roaring stadium where you have a hard time hearing yourself (though the technology has advanced to the point where that's not really an issue for Gaga).

Also, last year Idina Menzel sang it and before that was Renee Fleming. Whether or not you like their styles or their particular arrangements, both are incredible singers.​

Upvote 0