• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Trigger Warning Was it rape, sexual abuse or my own fault?

Fireflies

Revelation 22:1-5
May 28, 2012
✟8,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
***Please, I need to know what to call this so I can finally move on from it. My apologies for the length and the details, I have to be honest.***

Last year, a coworker pursued me in friendship. We became great friends. He long knew, as did all of our mutual friends, that I was/am asexual (not sexually attracted to either gender- I have Bible verses to back me up so don't get side tracked!)
-6 months of consistant pressure to date him ("Give him a chance! He's a good guy!" Etc), and because of our good friendship, I agreed. Honestly, I expected to date him for a week and then amicably end it.-

It started off as best friends. We hung out and walked to walmart every day after work. It seemed so much fun that I ignored two red flags:
1. He said he loved me within the first week on dating.
2. When we were just friends, he "admitted" that the reason his past gfs broke up with him were because he didn't want to have sex. But once we started dating he started acting very sexually. He would "jokingly" touch my butt, say my b.o. from work turned him on, among other things- then claim that he did/say those things so I could exercise my right to say no.

My life changed immediately one day as he let his rage loose over a small thing I did (it was an accident). He raged for hours, despite my apologies and explanations. He would yell/curse at me as loudly as possible and tell me what a bad gf/human being I was. He called me unrepeatable things. He would suddenly flip in the middle of a rage and act sad/depressed, saying he did all these things for me and that no one took care of me like he did.
This scene then became nearly everyday of my existence. He stopped me from seeing my friends, demanded that I leave immediately from work every night and not tie up loose ends, we couldn't even hang out with people in groups because I would "ignore him". He was extremely jealous, controlling, volatile and berating every day.

Then came the sexual problems.

He grew up Catholic and I was Christian. I told him before dating that I had been sexually abused throughout childhood (neighbor kid, teacher, janitor, grandfather). Even though I am healed of that PTSD, he knew that I didnt like sex. He agreed, he wasn't interested either.

At first when kissing, he started to touch inappropriately, I would say "stop, what are you doing, don't do that, I don't like it." He would reply, "See, you're learning boundaries! You can't let everyone walk on you."
---But that progressed QUICKLY once his controlling/angry side appeared.
He would hold me tightly in an embrace and then begin to finger me. I would tell him several times to stop before he would stop. He would then say things to make me feel bad and guilty for putting my foot down. Soon, he developed a habit of whenever we were watching a movie, he would pull me onto him and play with my genitals like I was his lifesized doll. *Whenever these sexual things would happen, I would physically freeze like a deer in headlights. I could not move, think, or do anything.* Creepily enough, whenever he did this, he would never look me in the eye, or face, rather just stare off into the distance with no expression or without a word.

Eventually, kissing would turn into him stripping me naked or nearly (while he was almost always fully clothed). He would physically hold me down or manuever me so he could preform oral sex on me. It didn't matter how many times I told him No or to Stop (it was A LOT). I told him I didnlt like it, that I didn't want it, it bothered me, it was wrong but he stopped listening to me.
Like i said, when these sexual things happened, I was paralyzed. I couldn't move or yell, just say stop/NO. Once my leg broke free and I kicked him in the face, but he held my leg down and kept doing his business.

Anytime we weren't in a sexual situation, I would try to explain that it was a sin and I didn't want to do those things. But he never listened.

He would physically pin my hand over his gentials and try to rub him. I tried to withdraw but he held my hand there. Eventually, he started liftig his underwear and holding my hand against his bare skin. He often forced me to give him a hand job.

Then one day, he started to get mad at me while performing on me. I started to freak inside because he would get frustrated during these times but not explosively angry like every other situation. He was angry that I wasn't responding sexually and yelled at me for being a worthless jerk.
So... (this is the hardest part for me), I forced myself to like it.

I made myself enjoy it and it broke me mentally, physically and spiritually. He became estatic. I TOLD him, despite that, i don't want to have sex. I knew in my heart that this wasn't me.
He "agreed" but after a few minutes, pulled me on top of him. What I didn't know was that he had secretly pushed his shorts off to the side and was pulling me onto his exposed gentials. I froze again when I realized. I asked him, "Did you mean to do this to me?" The look on his face when he said yes haunts me still. It was sick. It was like the joker getting gleefully caught. I have never seen a humans face look like that.
I was able to barely roll off because I couldn't move, think or scream. He thankfully stopped because he thought I was a turn off.

There were plenty of other things he did to me: covered my chest in his bodily fluids because he wanted to "paint me and own me", force me to enjoy giving him hand jobs (put a smile on that face! Now kiss me while your at it!), and much more.

After a few months of dating, when he considered I was fully in his control, he stopped sexually acting out. He returned mostly to his uninterested in sex self (although still explosively angry every day).

I broke up with him nearly 10 months ago (ironically, it wasn't because of all this. Rather because I had been fasting and praying that he would be a better man and that I would stop being the problem in the relationship [he had made me believe from day one that i was the scum of the earth and the reason for every bad thing that happened in the relationship] and God replied, "Break up with him because he is not Godly enough"). It was the hardest thing to end it, I was so afraid. He made me so afraid back then.

I have now pretty much moved on with my life, becoming incredibly happy in being single again (and slowly restored to my true self physically and mentally).
However, I have been suffering from unrelenting, VIVID nightmares about people, kids and/or me being kidnapped, raped, molested, murdered or all of the above. The other night, I was beginning to close my eyes and before I did, I heard a woman screaming. I knew that it was a woman being beaten by her husband and that if I closed my eyes, I would immediately dream of the woman and see her husband beating her. So I opened my eyes.

Recently, I've begun to think that maybe the nightmares are from the situations discribed above. Ive asked God's forgiveness many, many times. I've also asked for Him to forgive my ex. I try to forgive my ex any time I think about the past. I thought I had accepted it.

I need to know so that I can heal:

Was this repeated rape? Or sexual abuse? Or was this my fault and I am putting too much stress into it?

Even as I write this post, I started to shake so bad that I couldn't type. My heat was beating out of my chest. Normally, I don't have those responses but I also don't try to remember (especially in detail) what happened.
I feel so guilty and sinful. It's different because this all happened as I was an adult (23-24). Everything else happened when I was a kid. I should have been able to stop him. He was my friend and boyfriend. The world today thinks sex is owed in a relationship- how could it be rape?

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Firefly.

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that what you describe was Continual Sexual Abuse AND Rape, but also Mental Abuse, and Emotional Abuse.

This was never your fault. & he was never your Friend, Friends don't treat their friends like that.
Friends dont force themselves on their friends, they dont abuse & manipulate them, & they don't degrade them and tear them down.

Im very sorry that this happened to you & I hope you know that God dosent hold you responsible for what happened :(

I think you need to seek proper counseling to deal with this in a safe environment.
*Hugs*

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm so sorry you experienced this. It was 100% NOT your fault. He was disgusting and cruel. It sounds like it was both sexual abuse and rape, as well as emotional and verbal abuse.

I'm glad you got out of that relationship. Abusers rarely change, and they often prey on women who have a history of abuse in their past.

I was in an abusive relationship years ago, and I still have nightmares about it. Prayer has helped me, as well as writing down my thoughts/feelings to get the negative emotions - anger, pain, bitterness - out. Have you seen a therapist? When I first left my ex, I saw a counselor for a few months to deal with the anxiety, and it helped. I highly recommend talking to a professional who has experience helping people with trauma.

Although the dreams lessened with time, they still sometimes surface for me. The key is to fight the fear. You are strong. You've already overcome so much. I wish you healing and peace.

Upvote 0

rainbow42

Sep 13, 2016
Denver, CO
✟7,769.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Firefly.

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that what you describe was Continual Sexual Abuse AND Rape, but also Mental Abuse, and Emotional Abuse.

This was never your fault. & he was never your Friend, Friends don't treat their friends like that.
Friends dont force themselves on their friends, they dont abuse & manipulate them, & they don't degrade them and tear them down.

Im very sorry that this happened to you & I hope you know that God dosent hold you responsible for what happened :(

I think you need to seek proper counseling to deal with this in a safe environment.
*Hugs*

It is obvious that she is in need of proper counseling as you suggested, however, she did make mistakes. And it is important that she knows what they are so she won't repeat them in the future ... and other posters can learn from the mistakes. My sister would often get into relationships that were bad and luckily she had an older brother(me) to free her from them. She learned from her mistakes and eventually got married (41 years).

My heart, love and sympathies goes out to Fireflies and hope she reaches out to Jesus for help and guidance.

Upvote 0

Krikkor

Saved by Grace
Sep 18, 2016
Wyoming
✟16,320.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Firefly, it was continued sexual assault and rape. Please talk to someone or rather a few someones, counselor, church leader, a friend you can trust and family. Don't beat yourself up, instead seek help and guidance from professionals.

Upvote 0

aloneinafrica

Proudly South-African
Feb 18, 2008
✟28,562.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
It was NOT your fault. It never is. He took advantage of you and knew how to prey on your vulnerabilities. I've been through much of your pain - I just posted a new post myself here.

Nobody has the right to invade your personal space/boundaries, no matter what role they occupy in your life. I'm really sorry you went through all of that. But you are most definitely, definitely not alone and I hope you continue to post here as a supplement to heal from your trauma.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You have issues of not understanding your sexuality so I think you may avoid sexuality in any sense.

I think what may have happened to you is that you were in shock in these situations, as you were trying to deal with all these issues you have and there was something happening immediately at that time that left you very confused. I think you should at least speak with a therapist two or three times about what happened to you and your feelings. This will help you understand what you were feeling and how the memories of your past played a part in that terrible situation. That is for you. So you can be healthy mentally and understand.

That person I AM SO GLAD you got away from. They were manipulating you. Trying to make you feel bad about yourself so they could then come along and 'fix' everything for you. But they did not want to fix things for you, they wanted to manipulate you so they could feel like they were someone. They did nothing for you. They were a scam artist person. Someone that feeds off using other people.

I hope this may help.

Be blessed.

Talk to a professional. If only two times it will help YOU understand yourself and your feelings.

Upvote 0

ParentofChildren

Wanderer
Nov 4, 2006
✟9,005.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
***Please, I need to know what to call this so I can finally move on from it. My apologies for the length and the details, I have to be honest.***

Last year, a coworker pursued me in friendship. We became great friends. He long knew, as did all of our mutual friends, that I was/am asexual (not sexually attracted to either gender- I have Bible verses to back me up so don't get side tracked!)
-6 months of consistant pressure to date him ("Give him a chance! He's a good guy!" Etc), and because of our good friendship, I agreed. Honestly, I expected to date him for a week and then amicably end it.-

It started off as best friends. We hung out and walked to walmart every day after work. It seemed so much fun that I ignored two red flags:
2. When we were just friends, he "admitted" that the reason his past gfs broke up with him were because he didn't want to have sex. But once we started dating he started acting very sexually. He would "jokingly" touch my butt, say my b.o. from work turned him on, among other things- then claim that he did/say those things so I could exercise my right to say no.

My life changed immediately one day as he let his rage loose over a small thing I did (it was an accident). He raged for hours, despite my apologies and explanations. He would yell/curse at me as loudly as possible and tell me what a bad gf/human being I was. He called me unrepeatable things. He would suddenly flip in the middle of a rage and act sad/depressed, saying he did all these things for me and that no one took care of me like he did.
This scene then became nearly everyday of my existence. He stopped me from seeing my friends, demanded that I leave immediately from work every night and not tie up loose ends, we couldn't even hang out with people in groups because I would "ignore him". He was extremely jealous, controlling, volatile and berating every day.

He grew up Catholic and I was Christian. I told him before dating that I had been sexually abused throughout childhood (neighbor kid, teacher, janitor, grandfather). Even though I am healed of that PTSD, he knew that I didnt like sex. He agreed, he wasn't interested either.

At first when kissing, he started to touch inappropriately, I would say "stop, what are you doing, don't do that, I don't like it." He would reply, "See, you're learning boundaries! You can't let everyone walk on you."
He would hold me tightly in an embrace and then begin to finger me. I would tell him several times to stop before he would stop. He would then say things to make me feel bad and guilty for putting my foot down. Soon, he developed a habit of whenever we were watching a movie, he would pull me onto him and play with my genitals like I was his lifesized doll. *Whenever these sexual things would happen, I would physically freeze like a deer in headlights. I could not move, think, or do anything.* Creepily enough, whenever he did this, he would never look me in the eye, or face, rather just stare off into the distance with no expression or without a word.

Eventually, kissing would turn into him stripping me naked or nearly (while he was almost always fully clothed). He would physically hold me down or manuever me so he could preform oral sex on me. It didn't matter how many times I told him No or to Stop (it was A LOT). I told him I didnlt like it, that I didn't want it, it bothered me, it was wrong but he stopped listening to me.
Like i said, when these sexual things happened, I was paralyzed. I couldn't move or yell, just say stop/NO. Once my leg broke free and I kicked him in the face, but he held my leg down and kept doing his business.

Anytime we weren't in a sexual situation, I would try to explain that it was a sin and I didn't want to do those things. But he never listened.

He would physically pin my hand over his gentials and try to rub him. I tried to withdraw but he held my hand there. Eventually, he started liftig his underwear and holding my hand against his bare skin. He often forced me to give him a hand job.

Then one day, he started to get mad at me while performing on me. I started to freak inside because he would get frustrated during these times but not explosively angry like every other situation. He was angry that I wasn't responding sexually and yelled at me for being a worthless jerk.

I made myself enjoy it and it broke me mentally, physically and spiritually. He became estatic. I TOLD him, despite that, i don't want to have sex. I knew in my heart that this wasn't me.
He "agreed" but after a few minutes, pulled me on top of him. What I didn't know was that he had secretly pushed his shorts off to the side and was pulling me onto his exposed gentials. I froze again when I realized. I asked him, "Did you mean to do this to me?" The look on his face when he said yes haunts me still. It was sick. It was like the joker getting gleefully caught. I have never seen a humans face look like that.
I was able to barely roll off because I couldn't move, think or scream. He thankfully stopped because he thought I was a turn off.

There were plenty of other things he did to me: covered my chest in his bodily fluids because he wanted to "paint me and own me", force me to enjoy giving him hand jobs (put a smile on that face! Now kiss me while your at it!), and much more.

After a few months of dating, when he considered I was fully in his control, he stopped sexually acting out. He returned mostly to his uninterested in sex self (although still explosively angry every day).

I broke up with him nearly 10 months ago (ironically, it wasn't because of all this. Rather because I had been fasting and praying that he would be a better man and that I would stop being the problem in the relationship [he had made me believe from day one that i was the scum of the earth and the reason for every bad thing that happened in the relationship] and God replied, "Break up with him because he is not Godly enough"). It was the hardest thing to end it, I was so afraid. He made me so afraid back then.

I have now pretty much moved on with my life, becoming incredibly happy in being single again (and slowly restored to my true self physically and mentally).
However, I have been suffering from unrelenting, VIVID nightmares about people, kids and/or me being kidnapped, raped, molested, murdered or all of the above. The other night, I was beginning to close my eyes and before I did, I heard a woman screaming. I knew that it was a woman being beaten by her husband and that if I closed my eyes, I would immediately dream of the woman and see her husband beating her. So I opened my eyes.

Recently, I've begun to think that maybe the nightmares are from the situations discribed above. Ive asked God's forgiveness many, many times. I've also asked for Him to forgive my ex. I try to forgive my ex any time I think about the past. I thought I had accepted it.

Was this repeated rape? Or sexual abuse? Or was this my fault and I am putting too much stress into it?

Even as I write this post, I started to shake so bad that I couldn't type. My heat was beating out of my chest. Normally, I don't have those responses but I also don't try to remember (especially in detail) what happened.
I feel so guilty and sinful. It's different because this all happened as I was an adult (23-24). Everything else happened when I was a kid. I should have been able to stop him. He was my friend and boyfriend. The world today thinks sex is owed in a relationship- how could it be rape?

Please see a consoler. There are multiple injuries, & you have been damaged in the past. You are patient, resilient, and well written. Sorry for your anguish............

Upvote 0

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

*I am not an expert of any kind* but to me it sounds like a mixture of sexual abuse and rape.

Upvote 0