Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I totally understand where you are coming from and the feeling of utter loneliness and not being able to talk to someone who understands the trauma of coming out of a very controlling religion. I hope I can encourage others to both embrace ex-Mormons and to try to understand their searching for answers. Let's be here for them without pressuring them into accepting our personal beliefs. Trust God to lead them.

As Thomas A. Edison said, "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
In the woods... was In an old church - was On the
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm, intersting..My very first friend here was and i think still is Mormon...she was being sorely attacked in 2004...that was fixed..she also admitted to me a few things I don't think would actually stand up to Mormon doctrine either. We were friends on and off for about 10 years and like many others, including myslef, people take long times off here.
I also worked with a Jehovahs Witness man for seveeral months..we had some good talks.. i would not give in, and he said I made him think.
Point is it is better if you are going to debate scripture as friends or co workers do so out of love instead of hell fire and brimstone..you will probably get a lot further, and pray the LORDs will be done.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Part of the difficulty faced by leaving Mormonism is that it took up nearly every minute of the person's life. There wasn't much time remaining after caring for family and fulfilling obligations to the church. Most non-Mormon neighbors were afraid to befriend you. If you live in an area where you are surrounded by Mormon neighbors, it's like being stranded on an island with no rescue in sight.

On top of that, you start out not knowing what is expected in a Christian church. Do you walk forward for communion or do you wait for it to be passed? Do you partake of it as soon as it is passed, or do you wait until everyone can partake at the same time? Will a collection plate be passed or is there a box in the foyer for donations? Is tithing expected or should you give according to your conscience?

Will people be satisfied that you left Mormonism or will they ask if you've been saved? Will someone ask you if you know you'll go to heaven when you die? What should you say? Will someone from the church visit your family to see how everyone is doing? Are you less of a Christian if you don't go to church on Wednesday nights? Are you less of a Christian if you don't teach a class or lead the singing? Does the church expect participation in church sponsored dances or does it frown upon dancing?

Perhaps other ex-Mormons can fill in some questions I missed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Part of the difficulty faced by leaving Mormonism is that it took up nearly every minute of the person's life. There wasn't much time remaining after caring for family and fulfilling obligations to the church. Most non-Mormon neighbors were afraid to befriend you. If you live in an area where you are surrounded by Mormon neighbors, it's like being stranded on an island with no rescue in sight.

On top of that, you start out not knowing what is expected in a Christian church. Do you walk forward for communion or do you wait for it to be passed? Do you partake of it as soon as it is passed, or do you wait tell everyone can partake at the same time. Will a collection plate be passed or is there a box in the foyer for donations? Is tithing expected or should you give according to your conscience?

Will people be satisfied that you left Mormonism or will they ask if you've been saved? Will someone ask you if you know you'll go to heaven when you die? What should you say? Will someone from the church visit your family to see how everyone is doing? Are you less of a Christian if you don't go to church on Wednesday nights? Are you less of a Christian if you don't teach a class or lead the singing? Does the church expect participation in church sponsored dances or does it frown upon dancing?

Perhaps other ex-Mormons can fill in some questions I missed.

Wow...I can relate a bit..not all that but I know Jehovahs Witnesses were required to go door to door 2 X 2 and if not were looked down on...that was my co worker told me that.
As for me being first born again around Pentecostals i often worried if I went into a Pentecostal church would I be required to speak in tongues and if not would someone come up and ask "Have you been baptized in the Holy Ghost?"

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Are you seeking "Christian Advice"?

Well, loving advice is one thing. Are the questions I asked seeking advice? It seems as though they are. I also gave advice. But what about traumatized people who need support? Can we offer that here? If not, where?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This thread is absolutely NOT for debating Mormonism. It isn't allowed. This is for supporting ex-Mormons who are going through a difficult time.

I wasn't doing that. You have my support and prayers!
One question: Are you having problems in the church you are now going to from others, or are you just worried you might?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I wasn't doing that. You have my support and prayers!
One question: Are you having problems in the church you are now going to from others, or are you just worried you might?

Neither. I've been out for years and am extremely happy with my life in Jesus! I was just remembering how I felt and the questions I had way back then.

Upvote 0

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Neither. I've been out for years and am extremely happy with my life in Jesus! I was just remembering how I felt and the questions I had way back then.

Oh, that's good! I had gotten involved in the occult before I was saved and even 10 years later a few in churches judged me.. "he was in the occult!!" Not anymore though.

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, loving advice is one thing. Are the questions I asked seeking advice? It seems as though they are. I also gave advice. But what about traumatized people who need support? Can we offer that here? If not, where?

Usually in this forum people come here seeking advice.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Usually in this forum people come here seeking advice.
Where can this thread be moved to help former Mormons with the difficulties they face? I'm asking for advice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In answer to your questions are you fellowshipping with a church? Depending on what kind it is, well the ones ive been to generally the pastor will instruct others on what to do with regard to communion. Sometimes its passed around and sometimes you go up to receive.

Giving is according to what the Lord places on your heart. He likes a cheerful giver. If you prefer some churches have envelopes or even AUtomatic payment so you can give anonymously. But its not compulsory. You can give your time or some churches have a donations basket for food etc.

There will be various groups meeting up during the week but thats not compulory either.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If people ask generally they will be satisfied when you say you are born again.
Most people dont probe about peoples past because as christians we look forward not back. The fact that you there in church and participating can be enough for many to generally accept fellowship with you. New christians come to faith all the time so if things are unfamiliar in church just ask an elder.

We are saved by grace through faith not by works so...it does not matter if you dont take the lead singing or a class or be looked down on as less of a christian if you not heavily involved. We are all learning and generally, those that take on more roles have been faithful for long time but they are called to certain roles not pushed into it.

Upvote 0